UFC 09: Undisputed

TravTex

Reaction score
I'm a bit of an MMA wonk (Though I haven't been able to train in a little over two months -- Stupid foot is STILL kinda jacked up).

I was somewhere between interested and deeply concerned to find that they were coming out with another UFC game. MMA games have traditionally sucked in a big way (Of particular amusement was the ease with which you could KO some dude who had mount on you).

Amazingly enough, they pretty much got it right. There's a good bit I could complain about, but it's a very solid effort by THQ. For the offline people, the career mode is excellent (I recently got my arse handed to me by Mike Swick).

Submissions are a bit out of balance, almost impossible to pull one off. Flash KOs are a -bit- too frequent compared to TKO/ref stoppage. Controls are pretty complex, but it's a very deep system so that makes it quite worth it to me.

A good start to the franchise.

Snohomie

Reaction score
#($) YOU TRAV! :p

I didn't know this game was out, been excited about it for a while. I have finals in 2 weeks. And no self control.

Well, good grades were nice while they lasted...

I know very little about MMA, though it really interests me I just never know when it's on, or really what's going on. But it looks cool.

OP
OP
TravTex

TravTex

Reaction score
I rarely get to watch events when they're on. Usually I just waste money on T.U.F. season DVDs, heh.

I've been in some variant of martial arts for about 29 years. I'm training off and on with three gyms, currently. One's basically a Modern Arnis/Judo hybrid, one's exclusively BJJ, and one's a mesh of Boxing and BJJ. This year's kind of sucked for training, as I think I spent at least fifty percent of it injured.

I'm guessing that's what happens when you're stupid enough to move into MORE full-contact at 35 years old.

Going back and looking at the original UFCs (Say 1 through 10) is kind of amusing when you look at what it's evolved into, now. Many of the fighters were clueless and awkward, but in some ways it was more interesting -- It's become pretty homogenized.