Seahawks need to draft Brandon Coleman - Megatron II

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I wouldn't say he regressed.

He had very clear holes in his game in 2012. The expectation was, he'd show the ability to improve on those as one would expect from a So to Jr campaign.

He simply didn't do that at all. He continues to have the same issues (tracking the ball, sinking hips on cuts, explosion out of his cuts, catching the ball clean). These issues are still entirely unresolved. He did regress somewhat in the explosive plays but I can see where the injury and QB play robbed him of at least that aspect of his game. These are elements I'd fully expect to rebound to his 2012 form and maybe even improve on when he gets to the next level.

Overall, I don't see him getting better. And it's hard to just brush that away by injury. He could well be at his ceiling now. That is what drops him a couple rounds. Although frankly, what he does well, is what we want our big WR to do. So I'm not sure these nagging deficiencies in his game are really going to put us off on him.

I expect he's going at #64. It's probably about 20 spots earlier than the next interested team would take him. But I don't think it'll deter us.

I will say this much. He's a development project. But at least he's a functional player with the gifts he does possess while he develops. This isn't a team that needs star level talent infusion in order to be competitive. If he were to resolve some of these issues -- he could be a real steal even at #64. In fact, if we were so inclined to double dip at the WR position, I'd be completely ok with that. Baldwin and Kearse have one and two years respectively remaining. I don't see us keeping either one after their RFA year. Similar to Tate -- they'll get offers elsewhere that we won't match. If we get a couple WRs to season for this year so that they are ready in 2015/16 -- that has a lot of value. Particularly with where our salary spend is going to be by that point in time.

It's a position where drafting for tomorrow has a lot of merit.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Rob, I feel like your blog has been pegging Coleman somewhere in the 3rd-round range now. Is this true? I was all over this guy based on your stuff last year, but it seems like most people (and I feel like this included some of your articles) view him mostly as an athletic freak of nature who likely will not be able to put it all together.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
jkitsune":pn3pnwgd said:
Rob, I feel like your blog has been pegging Coleman somewhere in the 3rd-round range now. Is this true? I was all over this guy based on your stuff last year, but it seems like most people (and I feel like this included some of your articles) view him mostly as an athletic freak of nature who likely will not be able to put it all together.

That's not where I've been pegging him. Had him at #32 in a few mocks. Recently I've shifted my focus to other players because I didn't want to just talk about one guy all the time. For me he's a top-50 pick. Could be first round, could be second. Huge potential.

If I'm wrong I'll hold my hands up. But there just aren't many 6-6, 225lbs people on the planet that can do what he does.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Wait you were comparing him to Calvin Johnson before?

:lol:

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2nrd9la0 said:
Wait you were comparing him to Calvin Johnson before?

:lol:
In his defense... I wouldn't doubt that others in 2012 (when he posted it) were saying similar things. Coleman burst onto the scene and he was getting that sort of attention. The physique comparison still works. Coleman is still definitely very intriguing.

kigenzun

Reaction score
Megatron II.
Meh. He hasn't developed as we thought he coulda/shoulda/woulda had the last couple of years.
Sure, he could pay off as a long term investment. But admit it. He's a project.
If we want to take all that on development-wise, its OK with me, but at #64 at the earliest.

Bigtime boom or bust potential IMO.
Personally, I see him as Stephen Williams II. (Certainly not Megatron or Gordon.)

I like the recent thoughts on Jarvis Landry at 32, (or even Cody Latimer), as opposed to drafting Coleman's "potential", but I like all of them a whole lot better at #64 instead.

I mean gosh... I know this is an old article... but hindsight on Coleman is supposed to be 20/20 by now...

On a lighter note...

When all is said and done, in 2014's reality, English is still right on the money for the Hawks first-rounder...

But its Joel Bitonio at #32.
Logan Mankins II.
The steal of the draft.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'd be very happy with Coleman at #64, I think he would provide a huge RedZone target and a deep jump ball type on the outside we don't have. There are so many WR's this year it's hard to pinpoint which one fits our team best but for the last 2 drafts I have been begging for a big young WR and Coleman is a guy who might not fit with a team he trues to use him as a true #1 but on a team that has Harvin, Lynch, and Wilson as weapons he can make some big plays when needed and will be able to cause mismatches.

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
What if we drafted Latimer at #32, and Coleman is still on the board at #64. Would we be crazy enough to bite on two WR's in the first two rounds?

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
kigenzun":384hsi6b said:
Megatron II.
Meh. He hasn't developed as we thought he coulda/shoulda/woulda had the last couple of years.
Sure, he could pay off as a long term investment. But admit it. He's a project.
If we want to take all that on development-wise, its OK with me, but at #64 at the earliest.

Bigtime boom or bust potential IMO.
Personally, I see him as Stephen Williams II. (Certainly not Megatron or Gordon.)

I like the recent thoughts on Jarvis Landry at 32, (or even Cody Latimer), as opposed to drafting Coleman's "potential", but I like all of them a whole lot better at #64 instead.

I mean gosh... I know this is an old article... but hindsight on Coleman is supposed to be 20/20 by now...

On a lighter note...

When all is said and done, in 2014's reality, English is still right on the money for the Hawks first-rounder...

Logan Mankins II.
The steal of the draft.
Everyone has their opinions and everyone thinks they are a genius armchair GM. I'm not as high on Bitonio as others seem to be. But, if the Seahawks draft him... of course I'll hope he plays like a future HOF lineman. ;)
I doubt Latimer gets drafted in the first round and I would be just as surprised to see either him or Coleman taken in the first two rounds. I guess ya never know, though. It only takes one team to be enamored with a player.

kigenzun

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":3928q3ad said:
kigenzun":3928q3ad said:
English is still right on the money for the Hawks first-rounder...
Logan Mankins II.
The steal of the draft.
Everyone has their opinions and everyone thinks they are a genius armchair GM. I'm not as high on Bitonio as others seem to be. But, if the Seahawks draft him... of course I'll hope he plays like a future HOF lineman. ;)
I doubt Latimer gets drafted in the first round and I would be just as surprised to see either him or Coleman taken in the first two rounds. I guess ya never know, though. It only takes one team to be enamored with a player.

Imagine there's Bitonio in Round 1
Its easy if you try

Cody Latimer in the 2nd
Above opposing safeties in Seattle skies

The Brandon Coleman project at 128
Then we could all live in peace

Woohoo...
I'd be ecstatic

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one

-with serious apologies to Paris Lenon

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
lol. Well, ok then.

I try to not get overly enamored with any player in hopes that the Hawks will draft them. There's a huge pool of players to evaluate and we all have our pre-draft ideas about who might fit and might be better picks. The evaluation process doesn't exactly peg what kind of players these guys will be.

Go to the NFL.com site and watch the newly posted video about "will Pete continue to have success in Seattle." I thought the comment that "Pete has cracked the code" was excellent. The eval for the draft and getting the type of guys they think can buy into the system is key. So, we're only looking at these guys from what we can observe. That's where the cool part comes in now for us in this exciting time as Seahawks fans. They may not work out, but many of their draft picks are sticking with the team. But, if the player gets drafted by Seattle... there's reason for optimism that at least they think the player has a chance to buy in and contribute.

btw... my opinion (and not really on topic. My apologies there.) The lyrics to "imagine" are some of the worst of any song in history. Yeah, there's some intended good laced in there and I'm not saying all of it. Too, I can appreciate the Beatles. Definitely worldview planted in there and then set to music - it's a powerful brainwash. Maybe some agree with Lenon's worldview. It's not my worldview, though. The music it is set to is beautiful, but the lyrics are a bunch of lies. Music isn't just music. It is used for political purposes, religious purposes, etc.

kigenzun

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":1hxcjv9v said:
lol. Well, ok then.

Music isn't just music. It is used for political purposes, religious purposes, etc.

I think it was printed down in the corner on a poster I read at FYE, while looking at DVDs for my brother's birthday present.
We were looking for the Hobbit, original animated version, and it wasn't there.
This 'pure propaganda' must've filtered through sub-consciously while half asleep before my coffee the next morning.

(Note time stamp.)

Still...
1.32. Bitonio
2.64. Latimer
4.132. Coleman

We could be dancin'... YEAH!

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
kigenzun":38mxz6ir said:
Still...
1.32. Bitonio
2.64. Latimer
4.132. Coleman

We could be dancin'... YEAH!

I think Bitonio and Latimer are going to be very high on our board and it would not surprise me if they were our first two picks. I don't see us taking 2 WRs in our first 3 picks though.