hawkfan68's first Seahawk draft mock of 2014

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I have a strong feeling that the Seahawks will trade down to recoup a 3rd round pick this year. The draft is full of talent and the Seahawks have been lucky in getting solid starters in 3rd. Moreso that ones in the 1st round. With that said, I'm going by picks they have at this point. It's difficult to guess trades, etc at this point.

1st rd - Zack Martin, G/OT, Notre Dame, 6'4/304
2nd rd - Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt, 6'3/205
4th rd - Max Bullogh, ILB, Michigan State, 6'3/252
5th rd - Spencer Long, OT, Nebraska, 6'4/315
5th rd - Cody Hoffman, WR, BYU, 6'4/215
6th rd - Colt Lylerla, TE, Oregon, 6'5/246
7th rd - Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois, 6'3/222

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
I think this is a smart draft in terms of the positions targeted.

But OL in R1 may no longer be a top priority. I was pretty excited about the play of Michael Bowie at guard vs the Saints. He only seemed to lack endurance, which is understandable since playing inside is more demanding than outside. If he can be as good vs the Niners and in the Super Bowl I would probably make WR the higher priority and look for OL in R2. If a guy like Kelvin Benjamin falls or Martavis Bryant has a decent combine they would have to be in play. Allen Robinson as well.

Pretty clear that Wilson needs bigger targets to be at his best.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I would be happy if we end up with Mathews and Hoffman. Jimmy G is not going to be anywhere near the 7th rd though.

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":diuegs0m said:
I would be happy if we end up with Mathews and Hoffman. Jimmy G is not going to be anywhere near the 7th rd though.

You're correct about Jimmy G. After last night's performance in the Shrine game his stock has definitely risen. He's playing in the Senior bowl next week too.

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":3sdmmcp6 said:

But OL in R1 may no longer be a top priority. I was pretty excited about the play of Michael Bowie at guard vs the Saints. He only seemed to lack endurance, which is understandable since playing inside is more demanding than outside. If he can be as good vs the Niners and in the Super Bowl I would probably make WR the higher priority and look for OL in R2. If a guy like Kelvin Benjamin falls or Martavis Bryant has a decent combine they would have to be in play. Allen Robinson as well.

Thanks Thunderhawk...I think Rice could be resigned to a more favorable contract. There are some FAs that may come into play at WR too, and finally I think this is a loaded WR class. There are many WRs in the middle rounds that can be solid players. The Seahawks don't need a stud Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, type. They need someone who adds something they don't have (they lack depth of a big WR after RIce). With so many top juniors declaring, it pushes guys like Matthews to the second round. I'd happy with WR like Robinson, Benjamin too.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":iyrwjzk3 said:
Thanks Thunderhawk...I think Rice could be resigned to a more favorable contract. There are some FAs that may come into play at WR too, and finally I think this is a loaded WR class. There are many WRs in the middle rounds that can be solid players. The Seahawks don't need a stud Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, type. They need someone who adds something they don't have (they lack depth of a big WR after RIce). With so many top juniors declaring, it pushes guys like Matthews to the second round. I'd happy with WR like Robinson, Benjamin too.
Your logic is sound. It'll be interesting to see where things sort out post combine and what Schneider prioritizes. I will be disappointed if we don't go OL or WR in R1.

As for trading down and getting a 3rd rounder, we'd likely have to move our first pick for that and not sure I would want to. We need difference makers, not depth. Yes, you can find starters in the latter rounds but you generally expect to get starters out of the first. There were a record 98 underclassmen that declared for the draft this year so even though we are picking late we are likely getting a true first round talent. I guess it all depends on who is there and what we could get for the pick but I'd hate to drop down for a third and miss a dynamic player.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1109shya said:
Thunderhawk":1109shya said:

no thanks to rice. As far as the seahawks not needing a Calvin J. type receiver...well in the context of that its not worth trading up cause we dont use our wrs enough i can agee. But in general, i think every team could use a calvin johnson..i dont really agree with that sentiment in the sense youre saying we wont take a wr high cause we dont need top tier talent. but since theres such a decent amount a tier 2 wrs coming out maybe we wont need to go with one in round 1 i can see what you mean totally. I also really like the double dipping of 2 big wrs, i really hope they do this.

all in all its going to come down to how sea grades out these guys, but it seems like seattle wants to find the most elite talent possible, and they arnt afraid to take risks, whether its a huge mammoth of strength like carpenter, a blazer like irvin, or explosive talent like c.mike, thats what they do. In the same sense you say they might hold off on wr till round 2 i think thats the very reason they go wr in round one, theres a lot of recievers coming out, therefor they will still be able to hypothetically find some pretty top notch talent there, where as this draft doesnt seem to be loaded at oline in the same way.

thanks for posting, always like reading peoples mocks! :th2thumbs:

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I've revised my mock a bit. Here's my latest -

1st rd - Austin Sefarin-Jenkins, TE, UW, 6'6/266
2nd rd - Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson, 6'5/200
4th rd - Anthony Steen, OG, Alabama, 6'3/303
5th rd - Max Bullogh, ILB, Mich St, 6'3/252
5th rd - Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois, 6'3/222
6th rd - Spencer Long, OT, Nebraska, 6'4/315
7th rd - Gabe Ikard, G/C, Oklahoma, 6'3/303

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
not being critical at all, honestly just curious cause it looks like an interesting draft, what makes you pick a guy like martavis bryant over coleman or mathews like you had originally? certain things you like about him more or just speculation that those other guys wont be there that late in the 2nd?

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Mr.Hawkbrah":264s0lv4 said:
not being critical at all, honestly just curious cause it looks like an interesting draft, what makes you pick a guy like martavis bryant over coleman or mathews like you had originally? certain things you like about him more or just speculation that those other guys wont be there that late in the 2nd?

Since my initial draft I believe that Matthews will be gone before the 64th pick in the draft (Seattle's 2nd round pick). I believe he is rising. If Miller doesn't restructure and gets cut, then TE becomes the Seahawks biggest need (IMO). So therefore taking ASJ at 1st round as he's probably the BPA at TE at that point. Martavis Bryant is scored at 2-3 round pick value, so it's right where the Seahawks are picking - last pick of 2nd round. Bryant is 6'5/200, which is similar in height to Coleman. Bryant runs 4.38 40 and has good hands. Plus he is a proven redzone threat. He would give the Seahawks size w/o compromising speed and vertical game. I feel Bryant is very underrated and could be the steal at the WR position in the right scenario. I believe the Seahawks and Bryant would be great fit for each other. The fact that he has been in the shadow of Watkins and before that the WR the Texans drafted last year, he doesn't need to be #1 WR. He can play well as a #2 or #3 behind Harvin. Coleman was a #1 in college, Matthews was a #1 in college, etc. These guys may have a problem with not being #1 WR in Seattle.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I'll play...

1st rd - Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame, 6-7/270
2nd rd - Keith McGill, CB, Utah, 6-3/215
4th rd - Aaron Lynch, DE, South Florida, 6-5/248
5th rd - Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami (FL), 6-7/331
5th rd - Isaiah Crowell, RB, Alabama State, 5-11/215
6th rd - Jonathan Dowling, CB/FS, Western Kentucky, 6-3/198
7th rd - Trey Burton, TE/FB, Florida, 6-2/226

Other players who profile as potential players of interest to the Seahawks on Day 3 with compensatory picks or picks acquired via trade...

Brett Smith, QB, Wyoming
Alfred Blue, RB, LSU
Tyler Gaffney, RB/FB, Stanford
L'Damian Washington, WR, Missouri
Kevin Norwood, WR, Alabama
Jeff Janis, WR, Saginaw Valley
Deandre Coleman, DT, Cal
Justin Ellis, DT, Louisiana Tech
Ronald Powell, DE, Florida
Ben Gardner, DE, Stanford
Antone Exum, CB/S, Virginia Tech

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Would be sincerely shocked if JS did not draft a WR this year.

JKent82

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1cs81hxd said:
Would be sincerely shocked if JS did not draft a WR this year.

Me too. It's just a matter of where.

I think the draft could fall a couple ways and will depend on what we do with cuts and Free Agency. If Red/Clem/Bennett are all gone defensive lineman will be pushed to the forefront, if we re-sign Golden, keep ADB and re-do Sid, I don't see a WR til rd 4. I wonder if Pete will push for a big receiver earlier this year regardless though. I could see him getting antsy about it after a few years of failure to replace big Mike Williams. Tight end and OT/OG are all spots that could use players too.

It'd be interesting to do a little series on different combinations of cuts/signings and changing positional needs/mock drafts.

Also does anyone know a good site to find a league trade history? CBS sports had a good one for 2013 but other than that all I could find was draft trades and trying to sift through league transaction reports. I'm trying to figure out what precedence for players like Red Bryant and Zach Miller being traded in the offseason is. They both have a decent amount of money attached to them (second contracts), both are still good players, but not stars, and are consummate pros. I'm just kinda curious since they've been mentioned for cuts or restructures but I think on many teams they'd probably be worth their contracts, but I can't come up with any examples like them being traded.