World Cup Draw

MANUNITED23

Reaction score
I believe USA a capable of beating Portugal, I don't see them as a real contender at the World Cup.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MANUNITED23":3t5186lu said:
I believe USA a capable of beating Portugal, I don't see them as a real contender at the World Cup.

There are really only 4 teams capable of winning the world cup each season (you can stretch that if you include potential knockout games between top contenders).

The US (and England, France, Italy) were never going to be one of those teams.

you could break it pretty easily into groups:

Favorites: 1.To me, its Germany
then a long deep breath, and Brazil, Spain, and the Dutch. You can extend it a bit to include a team like Argentina or even Belgium. (Dont sleep on Brazil's low ranking.. remember the FIFA rankings are based on accumulated points and average. Brazil as the host nation only played friendlies)

The Contenders (teams that could threaten a quarterfinal, maybe semifinal run) include Chile and Colombia, Switzerland, Portugal, England, France, Italy, US, Uruguay and possibly Ghana. And in all honesty out of this group only Chile and Italy seem capable of a long run. France has all the talent in the world, but has yet to put it together. The US draw makes it very unlikely. but hey, you play the match anyway

Potential surprises: Some interesting teams that will be matchup difficulties for stronger teams (Japan, South Korea, Nigeria, Croatia, Russia, Bosnia). The Asiatic teams usually have powerful and technical players. their experience keps them back. Still, both Japan and South Korea should not be taken lightly. The Euro teams have lots of talent and can make life hard on any team trying for that 2nd spot out. I dont want to add Mexico here. I wont do it... fine. I will do it. But i think they walk away with no more than 2 points.

and then alot of teams like Algeria, Honduras, Ecuador, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Iran, Costa Rica, Australia that will struggle to nab a point.

I dont know much about Ecuador or Cameroon to be honest. I dont believe the Ivory Coast can muster much these days.

MANUNITED23

Reaction score
Uncle Si":wre5t16x said:
MANUNITED23":wre5t16x said:

There are really only 4 teams capable of winning the world cup each season (you can stretch that if you include potential knockout games between top contenders).

The US (and England, France, Italy) were never going to be one of those teams.

you could break it pretty easily into groups:

Favorites: 1.To me, its Germany
then a long deep breath, and Brazil, Spain, and the Dutch. You can extend it a bit to include a team like Argentina or even Belgium. (Dont sleep on Brazil's low ranking.. remember the FIFA rankings are based on accumulated points and average. Brazil as the host nation only played friendlies)

The Contenders (teams that could threaten a quarterfinal, maybe semifinal run) include Chile and Colombia, Switzerland, Portugal, England, France, Italy, US, Uruguay and possibly Ghana. And in all honesty out of this group only Chile and Italy seem capable of a long run. France has all the talent in the world, but has yet to put it together. The US draw makes it very unlikely. but hey, you play the match anyway

Potential surprises: Some interesting teams that will be matchup difficulties for stronger teams (Japan, South Korea, Nigeria, Croatia, Russia, Bosnia). The Asiatic teams usually have powerful and technical players. their experience keps them back. Still, both Japan and South Korea should not be taken lightly. The Euro teams have lots of talent and can make life hard on any team trying for that 2nd spot out. I dont want to add Mexico here. I wont do it... fine. I will do it. But i think they walk away with no more than 2 points.

and then alot of teams like Algeria, Honduras, Ecuador, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Iran, Costa Rica, Australia that will struggle to nab a point.

I dont know much about Ecuador or Cameroon to be honest. I dont believe the Ivory Coast can muster much these days.

Netherlands are not real contenders, however Italy is. Dutch may not have Robben and they always choke. Italy is a strong team and have the ability to do some serious damage. They always do well. I don't think Spain is going to win either.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3rc6affc said:
I agree that Italy have enough talent to win it all if the cards fall their way.

Italy is still too reliant on Ballotelli...

As for the Dutch they've got bags of talent. Robben or no. Not sure how they choked as they played in the final four years ago.

Spain is also very strong IF they bring in the youngsters. If they field the 2010 squad they will struggle to make it to the semis.

Don't sleep on Belgium either. But ad I said this is Germany-Brazil for me

British Hawk

Reaction score
England will not make it out of the group. Italy and Uruguay are superior teams in comparison to ourselves and play a solid system that is effective at garnering results. England however, are far too defensive under Roy Hodgson and as a result allow teams to come at us whilst we aimlessly pump the ball downfield in hope one of our more physical players will hold it up and bring other players into attack.

I think Spain will once again prove their dominance at the international level by retaining the World Cup.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
British Hawk":zc3mpwqe said:
England will not make it out of the group. Italy and Uruguay are superior teams in comparison to ourselves and play a solid system that is effective at garnering results. England however, are far too defensive under Roy Hodgson and as a result allow teams to come at us whilst we aimlessly pump the ball downfield in hope one of our more physical players will hold it up and bring other players into attack.

I think Spain will once again prove their dominance at the international level by retaining the World Cup.

England is an interesting case. I do think they are better than Uruguay... But not by much. And Uruguay can score.

I'd think English fans almost rooting against Hodgson. Would you really want him responsible for the upcoming "golden generation" Wilshere, Ox-cham, Sterling, Henderson, Barkley, etc. in 2018?

British Hawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":39776w7d said:
British Hawk":39776w7d said:

England is an interesting case. I do think they are better than Uruguay... But not by much. And Uruguay can score.

I'd think English fans almost rooting against Hodgson. Would you really want him responsible for the upcoming "golden generation" Wilshere, Ox-cham, Sterling, Henderson, Barkley, etc.?

With the young talent that you have named there, each are players with potentially terrific upside. That is if utilised properly. Wilshere and Ross Barkley are ones in particular to keep an eye on. Incidentally, Barkley was on loan at my soccer team, Sheffield Wednesday last season and it was evident that this kid will go very far - he's smart, has wonderful passing ability, great going forward etc. The problem with Hodgson is that his tactics often involve completely bypassing the midfield with aimless long passes from the defence, instead of allowing the midfield to dictate the play. Top players need the ball at their feet.

I've always said that Wilshere would not look amiss in the Spanish national team. Such a class act to watch. England need a manager that will take advantage of the upcoming talent, otherwise it will be such a waste for these guys at the international level until the style of soccer we play is tailored to their game.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
British Hawk":26dt874v said:
Uncle Si":26dt874v said:
British Hawk":26dt874v said:

I'd think English fans almost rooting against Hodgson. Would you really want him responsible for the upcoming "golden generation" Wilshere, Ox-cham, Sterling, Henderson, Barkley, etc.?

With the young talent that you have named there, each are players with potentially terrific upside. That is if utilised properly. Wilshere and Ross Barkley are ones in particular to keep an eye on. Incidentally, Barkley was on loan at my soccer team, Sheffield Wednesday last season and it was evident that this kid will go very far - he's smart, has wonderful passing ability, great going forward etc. The problem with Hodgson is that his tactics often involve completely bypassing the midfield with aimless long passes from the defence, instead of allowing the midfield to dictate the play. Top players need the ball at their feet.

I've always said that Wilshere would not look amiss in the Spanish national team. Such a class act to watch. England need a manager that will take advantage of the upcoming talent, otherwise it will be such a waste for these guys at the international level until the style of soccer we play is tailored to their game.

Barkley is a fine young midfield. sad that Liverpool missed out on a local boy.

Youre right about Wilshere, which is why he is so useful with Arsenal. as you said, Hodgson's style doesnt utlize a player of his quality (nor a Sterling for that matter). It will be interesting to see how England does in this world cup. I honestly think the aforementioned 4 players to make the trip to Brazil. (Ox may not given his only recent return). But form and style need a change in the English squad as they look at 2018

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Would be very surprised if anyone outside South America won it.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2mn6qkmr said:
Would be very surprised if anyone outside South America won it.

Germany? (I think they are Europe's best....only chance).

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
British Hawk":1iri175n said:
Uncle Si":1iri175n said:
British Hawk":1iri175n said:

saw this name in the news today with a link to Liverpool... he's one of yours i believe

thoughts?

Diego De Girolamo

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":ydicygiw said:
British Hawk":ydicygiw said:
Uncle Si":ydicygiw said:
British Hawk":ydicygiw said:

saw this name in the news today with a link to Liverpool... he's one of yours i believe

thoughts?

Diego De Girolamo

He's a lad from Chesterfield, his dad is a fan. I thought he played for Sheff United. Been tearing it up for the Italian under 18 team.