My "ideal" SEA 2014 Draft

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
For me, this is how I'd love the Draft to play out:

R1: Drop down 5-15 spots and pick up an extra 4th or 5th.

R2: WR Jarvis Landry - not only a safe WR pick, but one that has some nice upside & can see the field day 1. I believe he's about 6'-6'1", so not a big guy, but certainly plays big and can dominate the red line.

R2: OT Billy Turner - I think he's got really great upside but could also contribute day 1. It looks like he has the athleticism to play LT in a pinch. Only problem, he could blow up in Pre-draft and slide out of this range.

R4: WR Martavis Bryant - double dip at WR. He offers Josh Gordon like upside with size/speed. He's quite a risk could potentially be that big body WR we've been looking for. Any other year, I think he goes higher based on athleticism alone, but this year is loaded.

R5: TE Marcel Jensen - He is in the same mold as Zach Miller but in a noticeably bigger body and could be the successor at a much cheaper price. I love Luke Willson, but I think he's strictly a move TE, though his blocking has actually been pretty good.

R5: DT Shemar Stephen - Big body DT - 6'5". Could be a nice Tnoy McDaniel type down the road.

R6: CB Ross Cockrell - really smart DB who has nice size and could fit in well learning behind Sherman/Maxwell.

R6: QB Logan Thomas - I love TJack, but it's always good to find/develop young QBs. Thomas has serious upside and is a good enough athlete to perhaps get a look as a 3rd TE.

R7: OG Ryan Groy - Typical Wisconsin OL. Could be a very reliable backup. Wisconsin's ground game was fantastic (per usual) this year.

R7: RB Alfred Blue - Another big body LSU RB. Very low tread on the tires but could be a nice pickup.

UDFA Targets: S Sean Parker (think his combine will be bad but a good player -Jeron Johnson type), KR Andre Debose (was supposed to be the next Harvin), a LEO type.

Just to give some rationale; this looks like the best WR class in a long, long time. Instead of simply holding off and drafting "what's left," I decided to target a WR I think will be highly sought of by PC/JS. I think both Landry/Bryant are those types. Landry is just a damn good player (Greg Jennings type), while Bryant represents ridiculous upside. Billy Turner represents another high upside pick on the OL who I think has the ability to play LT, if needed. Marcel Jensen is a super sized TE who could gradually take over for Miller in a few years, while Shemar Stephens "could" do the same for TMcDaniels. Cockrell is this years late round DB, who is just a really good and very smart football player. The rest of the picks represent either depth/upside potential.

Like I said, just my opinion but I'd love this type of draft and I do hope we take advantage of this great WR class.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Where did the additional picks come from? I see the 1st rd trade, but that would only leave us with 8 picks if I'm not mistaken. I like Landry, but I don't think he is the WR I would target there. I've seen a lot of people are in love with Turner, so that could be a very nice pick. Overall a good mix. I'd be happy with this.

OP
OP
M

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I am not fully aware of the later round picks, except the additional 5th rounder that was acquired in the "made up trade." With compensatory picks and some slight shifting, we seem to usually end up with a few 6ths and 7ths before all is said and done, which is why I included a few extra late picks.

And I do realize that I am in the minority with my view on Landry. Honestly, I think him and Beckham are very similar with Beckham being slightly more explosive, while Landry is slightly bigger and has rare ability to high point the ball/dominate the red line. I actually like both more than Nuk Hopkins (who I loved), because I think both offer more upside than Hopkins. All 3 share very similar characteristics. And like Hopkins, I believe Beckham/Landry are very much worth 1st round picks but will fall slightly due to the quality available at WR and how many unique talents there are.

*I would have included more OL, but realistically didn't see anybody in the middle rounds that would have offered the same value as the others. Billy Turner is a stud and I'm afraid he probably won't be available late R2 when all is said and done. Thanks for the responses fellas.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":4e0k6d3x said:
I am not fully aware of the later round picks, except the additional 5th rounder that was acquired in the "made up trade." With compensatory picks and some slight shifting, we seem to usually end up with a few 6ths and 7ths before all is said and done, which is why I included a few extra late picks.

And I do realize that I am in the minority with my view on Landry. Honestly, I think him and Beckham are very similar with Beckham being slightly more explosive, while Landry is slightly bigger and has rare ability to high point the ball/dominate the red line. I actually like both more than Nuk Hopkins (who I loved), because I think both offer more upside than Hopkins. All 3 share very similar characteristics. And like Hopkins, I believe Beckham/Landry are very much worth 1st round picks but will fall slightly due to the quality available at WR and how many unique talents there are.

*I would have included more OL, but realistically didn't see anybody in the middle rounds that would have offered the same value as the others. Billy Turner is a stud and I'm afraid he probably won't be available late R2 when all is said and done. Thanks for the responses fellas.

Good to know. I don't see them getting any compensatory picks this year since they didn't really lose any FA and they went out and grabbed a few like Avril and Bennett.

cover-2

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":2qau2rvi said:
For me, this is how I'd love the Draft to play out:

R1: Drop down 5-15 spots and pick up an extra 4th or 5th.

R2: WR Jarvis Landry - not only a safe WR pick, but one that has some nice upside & can see the field day 1. I believe he's about 6'-6'1", so not a big guy, but certainly plays big and can dominate the red line.

R2: OT Billy Turner - I think he's got really great upside but could also contribute day 1. It looks like he has the athleticism to play LT in a pinch. Only problem, he could blow up in Pre-draft and slide out of this range.

R4: WR Martavis Bryant - double dip at WR. He offers Josh Gordon like upside with size/speed. He's quite a risk could potentially be that big body WR we've been looking for. Any other year, I think he goes higher based on athleticism alone, but this year is loaded.

R5: TE Marcel Jensen - He is in the same mold as Zach Miller but in a noticeably bigger body and could be the successor at a much cheaper price. I love Luke Willson, but I think he's strictly a move TE, though his blocking has actually been pretty good.
Marcel-Jensen.jpg

R5: DT Shemar Stephen - Big body DT - 6'5". Could be a nice Tnoy McDaniel type down the road.

R6: CB Ross Cockrell - really smart DB who has nice size and could fit in well learning behind Sherman/Maxwell.

R6: QB Logan Thomas - I love TJack, but it's always good to find/develop young QBs. Thomas has serious upside and is a good enough athlete to perhaps get a look as a 3rd TE.

R7: OG Ryan Groy - Typical Wisconsin OL. Could be a very reliable backup. Wisconsin's ground game was fantastic (per usual) this year.

R7: RB Alfred Blue - Another big body LSU RB. Very low tread on the tires but could be a nice pickup.

UDFA Targets: S Sean Parker (think his combine will be bad but a good player -Jeron Johnson type), KR Andre Debose (was supposed to be the next Harvin), a LEO type.

Just to give some rationale; this looks like the best WR class in a long, long time. Instead of simply holding off and drafting "what's left," I decided to target a WR I think will be highly sought of by PC/JS. I think both Landry/Bryant are those types. Landry is just a damn good player (Greg Jennings type), while Bryant represents ridiculous upside. Billy Turner represents another high upside pick on the OL who I think has the ability to play LT, if needed. Marcel Jensen is a super sized TE who could gradually take over for Miller in a few years, while Shemar Stephens "could" do the same for TMcDaniels. Cockrell is this years late round DB, who is just a really good and very smart football player. The rest of the picks represent either depth/upside potential.

Like I said, just my opinion but I'd love this type of draft and I do hope we take advantage of this great WR class.

Good mock with sound reasoning! Landry is probably not the WR I would target, but we all seem to rank this year's WR differently. I am not opposed to trading down if there isn't a obvious stud that falls to us in the 1st round. Turner's mean streak and athleticism is through the roof and I would love to get him on our team. Although, at this point the 2nd round pick seems like a reach due to the fact that he needs a lot of work technically. I love Bryant's upside and I would be willing to take a flier on him in 4th round or 5th round. I haven't seen Jensen, so I read up on him a little and provided a couple of pics of the big man...another player with good upside. There are a lot of mid-round & late-round CB that I like in this draft and Ross is one of them. I like Ross's length and ball skills, but he is a liability vs. the run. Very solid draft.

These are the picks the Seahawks currently have in the 2014 draft,
1st round
2nd round
4th round
5th round (from Raiders)
5th round
6th round
7th round

If we trade our 1st round pick to move down 5 selections, according to the NFL draft trade chart, we would get ...
2nd round
5th round
6th round

OR if we trade our 1st round pick to move down 7 - 8 selections, we would get...

2nd round
4th round

Hope that helps for your future mocks. :D

Crabhawk

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":2oi3lhv7 said:
I thought Blue had received a special dispensation from the NCAA which allows him is 13th (lol) year of eligibility? I wasn't aware he declared, but in fairness I haven't been paying attention.

Otherwise, I hope we go for the elusive top shelf big bodied receiver (actual, not virtual). Parker is interesting. I like what he did for UW; I'd like to see him at the next level, but never really analyzed it all that much while he was playing.

2_0_6

Reaction score
I know we need OL help desperately but......

IF Austin Sefarian Jenkins is there at 32, I would be tempted to take him.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
I think it's perfectly logical especially knowing their history of trading back but i can't stand the whole trade back thing anymore. We're not flipping our roster over at this point, we have a second round pick that doesnt play, our roster is loaded, draft bpa at wr, ol, te, dt and call it a day. If we pick a wr that's shorter than 6 3 I'm going to rip my hair out and just assume we're compensating for being too good. Can't wait to see what rw can do when he's not throwing to midgets, Sidney rice doesn't count cause he plays like a women and chop chop is weak as well from a physical standpoint I Mean. Love tate, need more guys that fight like him. That is all.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I'm a little confused what picks this year did we give up for Harvin?

cover-2

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2dktdutp said:
I'm a little confused what picks this year did we give up for Harvin?

In the Harvin trade, we traded three draft picks. Two in the 2013 draft and one in the 2014 draft.
last year's 1st round
last year's 7th round
& this year's 3rd round

We have an extra 5th round pick (from Raiders) this year. We got that pick in trading Matt Flynn to the Raiders.

Pie Romania

Reaction score
How do you take such a raw player in round 2? If you're drafting a guy in the 2nd round, you don't want a project. Im not even going to elaborate on this whole draft. Not everyone will agree with me, but I don't like a single pick in it and would be extremely disappointed, to say the least.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Turner isn't a 2nd round prospect. If a team wants to take him that high, then you just chuckle and enjoy the other player that drops accordingly.

OP
OP
M

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Like I said, this is just my opinion, but I'd be curious as to why you don't like a single pick? Please elaborate. You mention you don't like such a raw prospect in R2, but make no mention of an extremely day 1 ready WR in Jarvis Landry. I intentionally had a mix of raw-upside prospects along with guys who can get on the field day 1 (maybe not start, but can contribute). Tim Ruskell and Al Davis represent terrible draft ideologies. IMO, it takes a mixture of high upside players that can really develop, as well as securing safer prospects.

Regarding Billy Turner, he's not as raw as people think and I'd be shocked if he gets out of R3. He is going to have a really good combine. He's more polished than Terron Armstead, who went in R3. It's the planet theory; there are very few men of that size that move as well as he does.

Let me flip the question on you; in late R2, what type of OL are you looking for? If you are looking for a contributor on day 1, then I'd argue that you will be looking at another John Moffit type of player (ie low ceiling, moderate floor). With my top 2 picks, I'm not satisfied with a middling starter, especially on the interior of the OL. I want somebody who can make an impact in some way, which is why I chose to gamble on the immense upside of Billy Turner.

Furthermore, with the current roster, what position would you target in R2? And knowing that player is more than likely NOT going to be a starter, why would you choose not to gamble a bit on upside, rather than going the conservative route?

OP
OP
M

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I totally agree with your rationale about "trading back." Realistically, the only reason I entertained/included this idea was simply because the WR is so immensely deep and that I think the value from picks 25 to 45 is not all that different, sans a team that "needs" a QB.

And again, I agree with you about wanting a bigger WR. Landry might only be listed as 6'1", but he does play extremely big. He has a similar ability to high point the ball like Tate, just add a few more inches. Regarding the big body WRs in this draft, I don't think we have a remote shot at Evans or Watkins, and quite frankly (IMO), I'd be terrified to spend a 1st rounder on Benjamin or Coleman.

I really like Matthews and Davante Adams, but my concern with these 2 is speed, combined with our conservative nature in the passing game. I'm not sure there are anything more than a #2 WR, which is why I went with the combo of Landry and Bryant. Bryant, IMO, has some of the best upside I've seen in a WR. I won't be shocked if he clocks in the 4.3s at 6'4"+.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mr.Hawkbrah":ivoch5f9 said:
I think it's perfectly logical especially knowing their history of trading back but i can't stand the whole trade back thing anymore. We're not flipping our roster over at this point, we have a second round pick that doesnt play, our roster is loaded, draft bpa at wr, ol, te, dt and call it a day. If we pick a wr that's shorter than 6 3 I'm going to rip my hair out and just assume we're compensating for being too good. Can't wait to see what rw can do when he's not throwing to midgets, Sidney rice doesn't count cause he plays like a women and chop chop is weak as well from a physical standpoint I Mean. Love tate, need more guys that fight like him. That is all.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Whatever happends in the draft I think the Seahawks need to come away with three high quality prospects. in rounds 1 and 2 i would look for two big targets for R. Wilson in the passing game be it either two WR's with the depth of this draft or a WR/TE combination. The third key prospect i think the Seahawks need is a DT or OT whoever walks in free agency(Giacomini or T. McDaniel). so I would look best player available in round 4 to fill either position.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Looks like Billy Turner is confirming what I saw on tape. He's pretty much the consensus worst OL prospect at the Senior Bowl thus far.

If he does go day 2, it'll be to a stupid franchise like Cleveland. He's a day 3 guy and not early day 3 at that. Could be playing his way out of the draft.

OP
OP
M

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Sounds like he is struggling big time, which does surprise me. I know you don't think much of him, but I was very impressed with what I've seen, granted against lower competition. I still think he has terrific raw ability, but the recent Senior Bowl performance definitely makes R2 look way, way too early. Good call.

Attyla the Hawk":3e2lyfdy said:
Looks like Billy Turner is confirming what I saw on tape. He's pretty much the consensus worst OL prospect at the Senior Bowl thus far.

If he does go day 2, it'll be to a stupid franchise like Cleveland. He's a day 3 guy and not early day 3 at that. Could be playing his way out of the draft.