Good New PC games

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Well I am looking for some recommendations on some good new PC games.

I am shipping off on a vessel for 54 days. As the only medical officer/personnel on this vessel I will have a lot of time to my self(I really can't do other duties since I am technically on duty 24/7.

I like RPG's and Strategy games. Not so much on the first person shooter but if there that good. Games I liked in the past: Then new civilization's, Fallout3, Tom Clancy's End Game, Hitman, Oblivion, Never winter nights.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Don't laugh - but, the original SimCity 2000. It's a classic and if you haven't played it in a long time, it'll provide you with some real entertainment; as would SimTower.

I recently finished playing through Need for Speed Undercover, and that was fun, although nothing really new in the series. (once you've finished the game you can replay whatever races you want, and a surprising amount of replayability is added by racing with a manual transmission instead of automatic; not to mention just tweaking your vehicle, getting more $ and buying new vehicles, etc; all the tier 1 vehicles, which are the top-end ones, handle differently from the others)

Most RPGs are poorly-made...Oblivion and Morrowind were great examples of a properly-done RPG. Get Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2, unless you dislike Star Wars; they're pretty well-done RPGs.

Grand Theft Auto IV is a nice time-passer.

This isn't a game, but I highly recommend all five seasons of a show called The Wire.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Fudwamper":1pmwdykp said:
Well I am looking for some recommendations on some good new PC games.

I am shipping off on a vessel for 54 days. As the only medical officer/personnel on this vessel I will have a lot of time to my self(I really can't do other duties since I am technically on duty 24/7.

I like RPG's and Strategy games. Not so much on the first person shooter but if there that good. Games I liked in the past: Then new civilization's, Fallout3, Tom Clancy's End Game, Hitman, Oblivion, Never winter nights.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Some downloadable content was recently released for Fallout 3. Thankfully the patches seem to have made the game stop crashing for me.

Unfortunately, I have no recommendations beyond this as my gaming time has been somewhat curtailed by work.

OP
OP
F

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Hey Rotak, I had been looking at the total war series.

I really like the SIM/RPG games.

Any other recommendations out there?

Rflagg

Reaction score
If you haven't tried the Witcher yet I hear tell it is an awesome PC rpg, sadly my computer is not up it its requirements so I will have to wait for ps3 version the fall. http://www.thewitcher.com/ http://pc.ign.com/objects/682/682220.html

Kings Bounty is pretty awesome imho, kind of a blend of rpg and strategy, you could put a ton of hours into it as well.http://www.kings-bounty.com/eng/ http://pc.ign.com/objects/826/826290.html

Scared 2 kind of a diablo clone so more of a loot and slash, but the demo was pretty fun if you are into those types.http://www.sacred2.com/en.html http://pc.ign.com/objects/772/772338.html

SmokeyHawk

Reaction score
CivIV is all you need ;)
But really though, maybe pick up Madden 09 on the cheap?
If you like the old Lucasart games, check out ScummVM. Once you find that, I know you're savvy enough to figure out the rest. (An emulator for the old Sierra engine just came out in a similar style as well).
I second the Total War suggestion.
Maybe try to get Fallout2 to run and replay it?(dosbox?)
My friend at work gave me some RPG suggestions, I'll pick his brain again MOnday. When are you leaving?

-SH

OP
OP
F

Fudwamper

Reaction score
I am not leaving until July. Thank you all for your suggestions. Please keep them coming.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Civilization IV - This is an incredible game and a good timesink - as well the turn based nature lets you start and stop easily.

Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 - If you haven't played these game - get them immediately - Both incredible and doubly so if you enjoy the Star Wars Universe but trust that this is NOT a necessity.

Half Life 2 - is probably the only FPS (outside of Fallout) you ever need to play - its sorta the Hamlet

Baldur's Gate II is older but still really well done if you like RPGs.

Black and White is an interesting game - not quite my cup of tea but fun to play through

Dietrich

Reaction score
As lame as it may sound I'm going to recommend World of Warcraft to you. Based off the games you like I really think you would enjoy this. You can log over a month of played time in this game and still not be done with it, its never ending. For a 54 day trip this game is perfect for you.

BigWig

Reaction score
Rome Total War is one of the best RTS games of all time. There are some incredible mods out there that enhance the gameplay even more.

Snohomie

Reaction score
Fud - try Mass Effect, maybe?

I just picked it up yesterday and haven't had much time to play with it. But it has a good reputation as a good RPG.

OP
OP
F

Fudwamper

Reaction score
I have heard of it just have never tried Mass effect, I'll look that one up.

SmokeyHawk

Reaction score
Fudwamper":1l17m2wx said:
I have heard of it just have never tried Mass effect, I'll look that one up.

It's pretty cool(have it for xbox). It does get kind of repetitive though(IMO)

-SH

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
May I suggest finding a Super Nintendo emulator for your computer and going back to replay (or play, if you've never had the joy) Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6?

Snohomie

Reaction score
Take away the Mass Effect recommendation.

It is a crashfest. I'm going to see if maybe it needs a patch, but so far on two separate machines (1 is a 2 year old machine that meets the recommended requirements, the other is a 1 year old machine that was rocking when it was first made). Neither is elite, but they should have no problem with this game.

Good if you have a console, though. Enjoying it so far.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":p1ctome2 said:
Civilization IV - This is an incredible game and a good timesink - as well the turn based nature lets you start and stop easily.

I just got Civ 4, I'm so lost, I have no idea what I'm doing. It gets better right?? :?: