Pac 12 Bowling

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Just found this info tonight and thought I'd share. The Pac 12 is revamping their bowl agreements in the post-BCS era. Here are the bowl tie-ins starting in 2014.

Champion: Playoff/Rose Bowl vs. Big Ten
2nd: Alamo vs. Big 12
3rd: Holiday vs. Big Ten
4th: Fight Hunger vs. Big Ten
5th: Sun vs. ACC
6th: Las Vegas vs. MWC
7th: Buffalo Wild Wings vs. Big 12

CPHawk

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1uwwxzku said:
Just found this info tonight and thought I'd share. The Pac 12 is revamping their bowl agreements in the post-BCS era. Here are the bowl tie-ins starting in 2014.

What's the difference from what we already have?

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
CPHawk":39inwniq said:
SeatownJay":39inwniq said:

What's the difference from what we already have?
The Holiday is switching from a Big 12 opponent to a Big Ten opponent, the Fight Hunger is switching from BYU/ACC to Big Ten, and they're dropping the New Mexico vs. the MWC for the BWW vs. the Big 12. So the Pac 12 will go from having 2 bowls vs. MWC, 2 vs. Big 12, 1 vs. BYU, 1 vs. ACC & 1 vs. Big Ten to having 3 vs. Big Ten, 2 vs. Big 12, 1 vs. ACC & 1 vs. MWC.

In short, the Pac 12 will be dropping BYU & 1 MWC matchup for 2 additional Big Ten matchups so they have more nationally intriguing bowl games starting next year.

CPHawk

Reaction score
You can't polish a turd, and no matter what the bowl games we are tied in do, they are still turds for a BCS confrence. Unti we have two New Year's Day bowl game, it doesn't matter who the bowls pick up. If the PAC is actually calling the shots ( which they aren't so we aren't changing anything) I would hope they could get both the Alamo and holiday bowls to be played on Jan 1.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
CPHawk":1eo4i8ie said:
You can't polish a turd, and no matter what the bowl games we are tied in do, they are still turds for a BCS confrence. Unti we have two New Year's Day bowl game, it doesn't matter who the bowls pick up. If the PAC is actually calling the shots ( which they aren't so we aren't changing anything) I would hope they could get both the Alamo and holiday bowls to be played on Jan 1.
They're not going to increase the number of Jan 1 bowl games. The days of flipping channels all day long between eight bowl games on New Year's Day are gone. ESPN and the NCAA aren't going to share their audiences (or ad revenue) between multiple games on different networks.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The bowls are going to lose their luster anyway since NCAA will be moving to a playoff system. Unless they include some of the bowls as playoff games.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
hawkfan68":17vs5p4g said:
The bowls are going to lose their luster anyway since NCAA will be moving to a playoff system. Unless they include some of the bowls as playoff games.
The NCAA will be using bowl games to host the semi-finals of the playoffs. Six bowl games will be rotated every three years (2 per year) starting with the Sugar and Rose next year, followed by the Orange & Cotton then the Fiesta and Chick-Fil-A before going back to the Sugar & Rose.