Wilcox to USC

chris98251

Reaction score
Well ties to previous staffs and being a higher profile guy with a new coach coming in it's probably is a good thing, I thought J said Wilcox was looking at Oregon not long ago also. Guess Sark twisted Hadens arm enough to cough up the buy out.

chris98251

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2u5riqlx said:
I trust Pete to pick the best fit for him at this time.

Were going to have to be dilegent about keeping our Petes straight here going forward.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
This is a downgrade at DC for SC. I think Pendergast is a damn good DC and maybe he'll move on up to Oregon since Aliotti is leaving. His style fits the talent.

drrew

Reaction score
seahawk2k":2hywql51 said:
This is a downgrade at DC for SC. I think Pendergast is a damn good DC and maybe he'll move on up to Oregon since Aliotti is leaving. His style fits the talent.

The problem with Pendergast is that he apparently does not participate in recruiting. That's fine when you have Ed Orgeron on staff who recruits enough for three men, but with Ed O gone, and on a Sarkisian coaching staff, it's all hands on deck in recruiting.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Given Pendergast's short tenure's at multiple spots, its hard to gauge his recruiting acumen. As I have not read anything that indicates he doesn't recruit, perhaps you know more than me.

He took a downtrodden unit at SC with no depth and turned them into a respectable, physical unit. His schemes at Cal and with the Cardinals always impressed me as well.
He gets fired from the Cardinals, defense falls apart.
He gets fired from Cal with the new staff coming in, defense completely disintegrates.
He gets hired at SC, immediate improvement.

zifnab32

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":1csi7z1k said:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/bruce-feldman/24388102/wilcox-to-become-new-usc-dc

In case anyone was still holding out hope.

He's good but not irreplaceable. Looked incredible when compared to the load of crap Holt rolled out before he got to UW, but UW was a middle of the Pac-12 defense this year

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Wilcox took the Huskies from abysmal to average on defense and I thank him for his time here. Now let's find someone to take us from average to great.

zifnab32

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3q0f2y4v said:
Wilcox took the Huskies from abysmal to average on defense and I thank him for his time here. Now let's find someone to take us from average to great.

Hmmm, same way I feel about Sark

HawkWow

Reaction score
Neither Sark nor Wilcox preached discipline. Wilcox had very good talent to work with and IMO coached them more to create the big play than he did basic fundamentals, critical to players not long removed from High school. This tackling the ball stuff is great when it works, but I've seen enough missed tackles to understand a certain stop outweighs a potential strip. The initial defender has to go for the stop, if he can hold the carrier up, while holding him back, then someone else can step in and go for the strip. Too often this year we watched RBs run past the tackler as the tackler focused entirely on the ball. It's not the way the game should be played, IMO.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2bfjqj3z said:
The Ducks? I must be confused. He's going to SC.
that's what I thought too! Will not be happy if J is correct.