Sounders Season Thread ***YEDLIN SOLD***

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":cw92dtep said:
Uncle Si":cw92dtep said:
so Kenny Cooper for EJ?

I've lost interest in the MLS (again)

You're looking at it wrong....its not Cooper for EJ.

Its EJ and Mauro for Cooper, Bowen, #2 in allocation order and somewhere north of $700k in allocation money.

We have the pieces to bring in some good players with that.

with that much allocation money we can get a player like Alvaro Fernandez, or Christian Tiffert. Or a Mario Martinez. Buy a Herculez Gomez. We could pay for a player like Valeri, or Chara. We could use that money to buy down Alonso's contract below DP status.

We have the ability to bring in some good players.

We are far from done adding players.

As of this moment the sounders have a retread striker, a relatively unknown mid/defender and opportunity.... At a loss of a quality technical player and a usmnt striker... Am I looking at this wrong?

You give guesses...until those players are in its a massive digression

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Sounders select ST Chad Barrett (New England) and ST Corey Hertzog (Vancouver) in Stage-2 of the Re-Entry draft.

Seattle is collecting depth up front.

knownone

Reaction score
Uncle Si":ajj4zfu2 said:
Smurf":ajj4zfu2 said:
Uncle Si":ajj4zfu2 said:
so Kenny Cooper for EJ?

Its EJ and Mauro for Cooper, Bowen, #2 in allocation order and somewhere north of $700k in allocation money.

with that much allocation money we can get a player like Alvaro Fernandez, or Christian Tiffert. Or a Mario Martinez. Buy a Herculez Gomez. We could pay for a player like Valeri, or Chara. We could use that money to buy down Alonso's contract below DP status.

As of this moment the sounders have a retread striker, a relatively unknown mid/defender and opportunity.... At a loss of a quality technical player and a usmnt striker... Am I looking at this wrong?

The drop off from Cooper to EJ is a small one especially in MLS. AH made it clear that the sounders are far from finished. I'd expect us to move either ianni or hurtado maybe both and pick up a talented hopefully young WAM to fill our need for creativity.

Max allocation is worth more than EJ.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
knownone":1eyatvp4 said:
Uncle Si":1eyatvp4 said:
Smurf":1eyatvp4 said:
Uncle Si":1eyatvp4 said:
so Kenny Cooper for EJ?

The drop off from Cooper to EJ is a small one especially in MLS. AH made it clear that the sounders are far from finished. I'd expect us to move either ianni or hurtado maybe both and pick up a talented hopefully young WAM to fill our need for creativity.

Max allocation is worth more than EJ.

If you seriously think Kenny is a small dropoff from EJ, I've got waterfront property in Arizona to sell you.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
We will be able to have Cooper, Barrett, Hertzog and Bowen for the cost it would have taken to Keep EJ.

That said EJ is WAAAAAY better than Cooper...who is the best of that bunch mentioned above.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Any chance they spend the money on getting some new defenders so we never have to see Ianni, Hurtado, or Scott on the field in a Sounders uniform again?

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
SeatownJay":ehpokci3 said:
Any chance they spend the money on getting some new defenders so we never have to see Ianni, Hurtado, or Scott on the field in a Sounders uniform again?

We already got Chad Marshall.

Expect more from Dylan Remick next year.

Minimal more signings along the backline I think.

knownone

Reaction score
In the last 2 seasons, EJ-26 goals cooper-24.
EJ may be the more talented, more dynamic player but in this league the drop off between the two isn't huge.
Look at Wondo he's not in EJs class yet he's had way more production.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
knownone":1i0ehpn2 said:
EJ may be the more talented, more dynamic player but in this league the drop off between the two isn't huge.

2 less goals in 16 less appearances...

Just saying.

Cooper is hot and cold. He had 6 goals last year....18 before that. With EJ there is consistency...thats what most fans loved about EJ. He was consistently EJ. Its why people disliked Montero for large stretches...he was such a streaky striker....Cooper is just that. Hot for a bit, then cold. Consistency and on the ball skill is why he's not a national team player and why's only ever had 10 appearances for the nats team. I'm not sold on Cooper as a starting 11 player for this team. A role player...perhaps. But he is not a player I want in my 11 week in and week out.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":56a27qst said:
knownone":56a27qst said:

Just saying.

Cooper is hot and cold. He had 6 goals last year....18 before that. With EJ there is consistency...thats what most fans loved about EJ. He was consistently EJ. Its why people disliked Montero for large stretches...he was such a streaky striker....Cooper is just that. Hot for a bit, then cold. Consistency and on the ball skill is why he's not a national team player and why's only ever had 10 appearances for the nats team. I'm not sold on Cooper as a starting 11 player for this team. A role player...perhaps. But he is not a player I want in my 11 week in and week out.

its not just that.. Montero and EJ are dynamic players (Montero far moreso) who bring more than just goals to the team. Montero's development in Portugal has been amazing to watch. But both can occupy defenders, make runs into space, distribute from hold up play, etc.

Cooper is your typical pre-Klinsmann American striker. Back to goal, stands there alone, tries to control and turn. He was the opt out when Altidore couldnt figure it out. He offers nothing in terms of distribution. He doesnt run behind the defenders to open up space for other players. He is limited in what he can offer, and therefore limits the team around him in terms of system and philosophy of play.

If you're down a goal and want to bang in long balls to dirty into an equalizer... on comes Cooper. If you want to play an appealing, pass and move system with Dempsey moving around underneath Copper is more of centerback for the opposing team than a partner for Clint.

I dont know what the allocation money brings in.. until the Sounders invest that in some dynamic players (now they need atleast a winger and another striker) then this move just sucks.

Chapow

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2tg2l7tm said:
If you seriously think Kenny is a small dropoff from EJ, I've got waterfront property in Arizona to sell you.

Pssst, you're doing it wrong, there's actually lots of waterfront property in Arizona.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Chapow":wumt4336 said:
Sarlacc83":wumt4336 said:

Pssst, you're doing it wrong, there's actually lots of waterfront property in Arizona.

*whispers* I know. It doesn't work if the ruse is obvious.

knownone

Reaction score
Smurf":1ej4nolx said:
knownone":1ej4nolx said:

Just saying.

I disagree about consistency. Dallas miscast Cooper playing him primarily out wide and he struggled. EJ was on a better team and got a majority of his goals off great service. How many goals does he have without Mauro?
Sigi wants a #9 who can stay high and receive the ball at his feet and maintain possession, that's exactly what Cooper did with New York where he scored 18 goals. He's capable of playing every position up top so he can easily combine and interchange with Oba and Deuce. Who do you think would be a better fit in the Diamond?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
knownone":1i8r7l8i said:
Smurf":1i8r7l8i said:
knownone":1i8r7l8i said:

Just saying.

I disagree about consistency. Dallas miscast Cooper playing him primarily out wide and he struggled. EJ was on a better team and got a majority of his goals off great service. How many goals does he have without Mauro?
Sigi wants a #9 who can stay high and receive the ball at his feet and maintain possession, that's exactly what Cooper did with New York where he scored 18 goals. He's capable of playing every position up top so he can easily combine and interchange with Oba and Deuce. Who do you think would be a better fit in the Diamond?

18 goals with Tierry Henry collapsing defenses around him....

Cooper is not an interchangeable player (most true #9s arent). He is not going to slide down into the CAM role and recieve, take on defenders and distribute (I mean he may "do it" but it wont be effective) its fine to think that Cooper isnt a major downgrade from EJ. Its debatable (I just disagree).

However you shake it, you now have paired a +30 year old CAM/Winger with a 29 year old back to goal striker and have done nothing to add speed to the wings.

if Sigi does want to play a hybrid 433 (whether a 4231/4213 or 4411) Cooper offers little in moving defenses.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Dempsey is going on Loan to Fulham for January and February.

This will help the sounders cap situation as Fulham will pay his wages during that span.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Rumors have surfaced again that Oba Martins is on his way to Turkey to join Rizespor. I doubt it, but its a rumor thats out there....

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1gfg6lkn said:
I heard there is a big friendly this year. Is it Bayern they are playing?

Thats who the MLS all-stars are playing.

No word if the Sounders will have a friendly, and if so who we will play.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Reports have come forward that the transfer fee for Oba Martins will be paid in the coming days....

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Smurf":3gg3nal6 said:
Reports have come forward that the transfer fee for Oba Martins will be paid in the coming days....

Really disappointing if so. I didn't mind EJ leaving if Oba was staying. Losing both sucks though and we dont really have a proven quality striker now. Neagle can chip in with a few though.

Latest posts