What NFL Analysts Annoy You The Most?

sutz

Reaction score
I just wish there weren't so many of them. They used to do fine with just two people on screen, with an occasional aside from an outside commentator.

Now they have to have at least 4, sometimes 5 or 6, and since everybody has to get a chance to pontificate the shows have been extended FAR longer than they need to actually cover the content. Then throw in 'special comments' from some failed comedian just for grins. Sorry, but their failed attempts to make the pre/post-games shows 'entertaining' kind of ruins it for me.

So I guess I agree in general. They have seriously diluted the talent pool available.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
So this is what it feels like to poke a grammar Nazi repeatedly with a stick. Interesting...

@amill: BFFs4lyfe, yo.

amill87

Reaction score
sutz":32qv6y80 said:
I just wish there weren't so many of them. They used to do fine with just two people on screen, with an occasional aside from an outside commentator.

Now they have to have at least 4, sometimes 5 or 6, and since everybody has to get a chance to pontificate the shows have been extended FAR longer than they need to actually cover the content. Then throw in 'special comments' from some failed comedian just for grins. Sorry, but their failed attempts to make the pre/post-games shows 'entertaining' kind of ruins it for me.

So I guess I agree in general. They have seriously diluted the talent pool available.

Yeah. It's fed for the constant thirst of football that we all have though.

Plus I think a lot of football players realize they have no other talents so they have to go back to what they know. Problem is they aren't journalists so they basically are just tv personalities portrayed as experts.

KK84

Reaction score
Dilfer is an interesting one. The guy is actually really football smart, and has the potential to be a good analyst. The problem is every single thing he says or does has an agenda. Dilfer's agenda priority list looks something like this:
1. Promote QBR and try to apply it to every conversation.
2. Dig at the Hawks. (Which I honestly don't understand.)
3. Support the Niners

His other issue is the way he backpedals and completely 180s to the other extreme when proven wrong. Admitting you're wrong is good. What he does is is sad. It's really too bad he's like this, since he's leagues better than mouth breathing buffoons like Heath Evans or Michael Irvin. Those guys are horrible, no matter if they're all picking the Hawks now.

And in case there's any confusion: Screw Dilfer. Worst waste of a flag raiser ever.

kearly

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1fq05y60 said:
SacHawk2.0":1fq05y60 said:
volsunghawk":1fq05y60 said:
The ones on this board.

Don't you dare talk bad about Kearly!

I don't like how that bastard uses semicolons. :thfight7:

I use them correctly (or at least they are technically correct, though sometimes just using a period and starting a new sentence might work better). My real problem is run-on sentences, and sometimes a semicolon can be an accomplice to that.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
kearly":3rwigj51 said:
volsunghawk":3rwigj51 said:
SacHawk2.0":3rwigj51 said:
volsunghawk":3rwigj51 said:
The ones on this board.

I use them correctly (or at least they are technically correct, though sometimes just using a period and starting a new sentence might work better). My real problem is run-on sentences, and sometimes a semicolon can be an accomplice to that.

Comma splices are where it's at, don't you think?

Jville

Reaction score
I still use a lot of this ............ too much time on a teletype I suppose ........... back in the day.
asr28.jpg

rottweiler

Reaction score
Joe Buck, by a mile.

He's a baseball guy from a baseball family, and he has absolutely no business whatsoever doing the play-by-play for NFL games.

Annoying as hell.

Scottemojo":3h4zxr0p said:
Dan Dierdorf is the worst announcer

Shows what you know.

Along with Dan Fouts, he's actually always been one of the game's best.

Dierdorf give sound, reasoned analysis of every play, and he doesn't come across as an arrogant football snob when he does it.

Mike Mayock is a good example of a football snob, always taking about what the guy who just caught the last pass ran at the combine, where scouts thought the guy would go in the Draft, what the guy ate for dinner the night before the Draft.

No one gives a spit about any of that, Mike "the NFL's Dick Vitale": JUST CALL THE DAMNED GAME.

KK84

Reaction score
rottweiler":2k7astq0 said:
Joe Buck, by a mile.

He's a baseball guy from a baseball family, and he has absolutely no business whatsoever doing the play-by-play for NFL games.

Annoying as hell.

And despite that, he's somehow even worse at baseball.

rottweiler

Reaction score
KK84":3abjrym3 said:
rottweiler":3abjrym3 said:
Joe Buck, by a mile.

Annoying as hell.

And despite that, he's somehow even worse at baseball.

So true.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
rottweiler":23rqkrhb said:
Joe Buck, by a mile.

Annoying as hell.

Scottemojo":23rqkrhb said:
Dan Dierdorf is the worst announcer

Shows what you know.

Along with Dan Fouts, he's actually always been one of the game's best.

Dierdorf give sound, reasoned analysis of every play, and he doesn't come across as an arrogant football snob when he does it.

Mike Mayock is a good example of a football snob, always taking about what the guy who just caught the last pass ran at the combine, where scouts thought the guy would go in the Draft, what the guy ate for dinner the night before the Draft.

No one gives a spit about any of that, Mike "the NFL's Dick Vitale": JUST CALL THE DAMNED GAME.

I guess we just disagree, because Mayock is one of my favorites.

That's what I know. Did it show?

OP
OP
S

Sturm

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":xihtvmh8 said:
Shannon Sharpe. What language is that?

I don't know either. He's completely unintelligible.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":8sxij39m said:
kearly":8sxij39m said:
volsunghawk":8sxij39m said:
SacHawk2.0":8sxij39m said:

Comma splices are where it's at, don't you think?

I prefer to recklessly split infinitives.