Sounders Season Thread ***YEDLIN SOLD***

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":1vunug4d said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1vunug4d said:
Wish to hell they would clear that defence out already. No more Hurtado or Scott!

Bite your tongue lad. Scott is a Sounder legend as welcome on this squad as long as he wants, like Levesque was.

as for Hurtado....he's not a bad defender....Just not great.

the Sounders defense is comical...

I mean seriously those guys earn salaries, and in the derby with Portland looked like converted strikers playing in the back.

As for EJ... he was right. the team didnt finish well. too much meddling by the manager. poor play all over. I'd think an international should have the right to speak his mind about it. You see it everyday in the bigger leagues. I'm sure EJ wishes Sigi had been given the push, as any self respecting fan of the club that wants to see progress would as well.

This is big kids stuff. if EJ goes its the best for him, and gives Sigi one less person to hold him accountable. but really, if EJ goes its about money.

as for Dempsey up top... well this isnt 2009 (is it? is this 2009? this isnt 2009?). he can play a CAM role in the MLS, a winger role in the PL (for one more year) but his days of being a striker are done (unless you want to play a 442, or even a 4222 where has constant support)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf said:
You're mention of the larger clubs backing MLS teams is already sort of happening. RSL, Colorado and a few other clubs have "Ties" to European clubs like Arsenal, Juve, Man Utd....but New York City FC are taking that to another level. They are being backed by Man City...and its been rumored that City will be sending over Gareth Berry and potentially a few others over to MLS when they start. I hope they bring some young players over....that would be great. I'd love it. I agree. I think if we had gotten the chance to watch Adnan Januzaj for the last 2 seasons it would be fantastic for the league. However I do worry that the larger clubs could use MLS as a way to increase their profits for the parent club. I don't want the MLS clubs to become a way the European teams balance their books.

quote]

Yeah I had brought this up in my post about american soccer a few months ago. But dont mistake Euopean club cooperation with a financial invesment. it hasnt happened... yet. right now Euro clubs are basically brining in scouts to cooperate with MLS teams and get a look at the reserves and youth set ups... this isnt a recipricol relationship as of now.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1wx876bz said:
Smurf":1wx876bz said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1wx876bz said:
Wish to hell they would clear that defence out already. No more Hurtado or Scott!

Bite your tongue lad. Scott is a Sounder legend as welcome on this squad as long as he wants, like Levesque was.

I mean seriously those guys earn salaries, and in the derby with Portland looked like converted strikers playing in the back.

As for EJ... he was right. the team didnt finish well. too much meddling by the manager. poor play all over. I'd think an international should have the right to speak his mind about it. You see it everyday in the bigger leagues. I'm sure EJ wishes Sigi had been given the push, as any self respecting fan of the club that wants to see progress would as well.

This is big kids stuff. if EJ goes its the best for him, and gives Sigi one less person to hold him accountable. but really, if EJ goes its about money.

as for Dempsey up top... well this isnt 2009 (is it? is this 2009? this isnt 2009?). he can play a CAM role in the MLS, a winger role in the PL (for one more year) but his days of being a striker are done (unless you want to play a 442, or even a 4222 where has constant support)

I was more thinking 4-4-1-1 with Dempsey in that withdrawn role and a true runner up top, Like he used to at Fulham, and like Tim Cahil did at Everton.

and shove off about the highlighted bit. That was uncalled for.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Smurf":j0izfudw said:
Interesting image I found. Visualization graph of Revenue and profit of MLS franchises.

BZi8RJQIMAAr57M

That's a pretty cool graphic, I have to admit. Portland swings a huge damn stick for its size. :th2thumbs: And that's impressive work for Toronto.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":1fh11ji5 said:
Uncle Si":1fh11ji5 said:
Smurf":1fh11ji5 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1fh11ji5 said:

I was more thinking 4-4-1-1 with Dempsey in that withdrawn role and a true runner up top, Like he used to at Fulham, and like Tim Cahil did at Everton.

and shove off about the highlighted bit. That was uncalled for.

put on your Sounders scarf, go to a mirror and look at yourself. if you want Soudners glory you know in your heart it wont happen with Sigi.

Dempsey withdrawn in a 4-4-1-1 is Dempsey as a CAM, as Gerrard played under Torres. Dempsey can still do that, but it matters little if you dont have the advanced player in front of him

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Smurf":iyk0vk95 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":iyk0vk95 said:

Face it Zach Scott is done and a serious liability. So was Levesque in his last year. Zach Scott can stick around in a PR role for all I care, just not in the first team.

Hurtado was never the same player after his knee injury and again is suspect.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
There was a MLS Waiver draft today. The Sounders offered Philip Lund to the waiver draft. The names on the list weren't very exciting so if the Sounders drafted anyone or not, who knows. No one on that list is going to put anyone over the hump, per se.

I'd like to see the defense upgraded. Maybe get younger and better. Kyle Venter, New Mexico, seems to be projected as the best central defender in the draft.

Here's an article on players to watch for MLS Superdraft -
http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/coll...014-mls-superdraft:-players-to-watch_aid28397

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Joshua Mayers ‏@joshuamayers 6m
The Sounders have declined their contract option on goalkeeper Michael Gspurning.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":1002baj9 said:
Joshua Mayers ‏@joshuamayers 6m
The Sounders have declined their contract option on goalkeeper Michael Gspurning.

Poor move IMO. I thing Gspurning is a good keeper. Just lost some form there at the end.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Zakuani is out of contract now.

The team also declined options on Mauro Rosales, Marc Burch, Blair Gavin, and Josh Ford.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Apparently took up the contract options on Hurtado and Ianni. WTH! I would rather neither but at a push one of the two but both? That defence needs upgraded and that is now some salary cap wasted.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Q13 FOX News ‏@Q13FOX 6m
Big news! Q13 FOX is the official home of the @SoundersFC starting in March. Catch 21 games on @Q13FOX and @JOEtvSeattle.

razgriz737

Reaction score
http://www.soundersfc.com/News/Articles ... -Frei.aspx

Seattle Sounders FC has acquired goalkeeper Stefan Frei from Toronto FC in exchange for a 2015 conditional first round SuperDraft pick
Frei, 27, was Toronto’s longest tenured player and is the club’s all-time leader in appearances across all competitions (99), winning four Canadian Championships. He holds a 1.54 goals against average in 82 regular season starts, but has missed much of the past two seasons due to injury.
Frei made 81 appearances in his first three seasons with Toronto before suffering a broken fibula in 2012, making just one league appearance in the past two seasons.
Frei, a Generation adidas product and MVP at the 2009 MLS Player Combine, was selected by Toronto FC in the first round (13th overall) of the 2009 MLS SuperDraft by Toronto FC. He played three seasons for the University of California, Berkeley, where he was named to the All-Pac-10 First Team, Top Drawer Soccer First Team, NSCAA First Team Far West All-Region and was on the MAC Hermann Trophy Watch list in 2008.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
razgriz737":398vfud5 said:
http://www.soundersfc.com/News/Articles/2013/12-December/Sounders-FC-Acquires-Stefan-Frei.aspx

Seattle Sounders FC has acquired goalkeeper Stefan Frei from Toronto FC in exchange for a 2015 conditional first round SuperDraft pick
Frei, 27, was Toronto’s longest tenured player and is the club’s all-time leader in appearances across all competitions (99), winning four Canadian Championships. He holds a 1.54 goals against average in 82 regular season starts, but has missed much of the past two seasons due to injury.
Frei made 81 appearances in his first three seasons with Toronto before suffering a broken fibula in 2012, making just one league appearance in the past two seasons.
Frei, a Generation adidas product and MVP at the 2009 MLS Player Combine, was selected by Toronto FC in the first round (13th overall) of the 2009 MLS SuperDraft by Toronto FC. He played three seasons for the University of California, Berkeley, where he was named to the All-Pac-10 First Team, Top Drawer Soccer First Team, NSCAA First Team Far West All-Region and was on the MAC Hermann Trophy Watch list in 2008.

Solid pick up. I like that the club had a direction to go immediately after Gspurning said no to less money.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Mauro Rosales has been traded to Chivas USA in exchange for Tristen Bowen and the #2 spot in the allocation order.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Not much to write home about here.

Tristan Bowen is a 22 year old American striker. I think he spit on a guy once...
He has 4 career MLS goals. 8 total goals in all leagues since he went pro in 2007. One of those goals was this:

[youtube]LYabAaQxSi0[/youtube]

So he can hit a ball....

He's a good squad player who we acquired in what was a move more based on Salary Cap space.

I think the biggest asset we received from this trade is the #2 spot in the allocation order. Rumor is that it will be used to either bring Erik Friberg back to the Sounders, or used for a returning national team player. For the national team player its rumored to be midfielder Mix Diskerud. IMO both rumors seem far-fetched as I don't think Friberg returns, nor do I think that Diskerud is a player the club is interested in....but i've been wrong before....

Again, this move is more about the cap space and that #2 allocation order spot than it is about Tristan Bowen.

razgriz737

Reaction score
http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/c ... raded.html

The Crew has traded veteran center back Chad Marshall to the Seattle Sounders for allocation money and a third-round pick in the 2015 SuperDraft.
Marshall, 29, is the Crew's all-time leader in minutes played and games played and a two-time MLS Defender of the Year. In 253 career games, all with the Crew, Marshall has made 250 starts and scored 16 goals.

I admittedly don't really know anything about the guy, but it sounds like Crew fans are pretty pissed off about losing him.