Robinson Cano has agreed to 10 years/$240 mill

HawkFan72

Reaction score
This contract will look terrible in 5 years, but who cares? The M's needed to do something like this. They now have an elite player to build around on Offense at a position where offense is hard to come by.

Cano will probably be traded when he's 35 or 36 in a salary dump. Until that time, the Mariners are unquestionably better.

At least the money won't just be wasted on guys like Ibanez, Morse, and Joe Saunders before the M's will call it a day.

Atradees

Reaction score
Congrats on getting the guy they wanted. He produced when the other star players in NY were not on the field much.

Lets hope this helps change our losing ways.

GCrow

Reaction score
As a Jays fan i'll just ask, can you please get David Price out of the division as well? Be appreciated.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
HawkFan72":29tr7cvw said:
This contract will look terrible in 5 years, but who cares? The M's needed to do something like this. They now have an elite player to build around on Offense at a position where offense is hard to come by.

Cano will probably be traded when he's 35 or 36 in a salary dump. Until that time, the Mariners are unquestionably better.

At least the money won't just be wasted on guys like Ibanez, Morse, and Joe Saunders before the M's will call it a day.

Thats the biggie tho, in 5 years it'll be a 120 million 5 year dead weight ball and chain, stopping us from doing other things.

m0ng0

Reaction score
akscoundrel":17sse3dz said:
want to know the change I want to see? Developing players, and actually keeping them when them become really good!

name one piece of developing talent that we have lost by signing Cano?

By signing Cano it shows me that "maybe" the team is going to be willing to pay developing talent when the time comes, why would they make a splash like this if they were not trying to commit to win? They could have easily said hey we signed Willie Bloomquist and run business as usual and put the same team out there and pocket the profit.

BTW Seattle was 2nd in the league in homers last year with no big stick

HawkFan72

Reaction score
akscoundrel":989mzo7o said:
HawkFan72":989mzo7o said:

Thats the biggie tho, in 5 years it'll be a 120 million 5 year dead weight ball and chain, stopping us from doing other things.

The Angels dumped Vernon Wells. The Tigers dumped Prince Fielder.

It's not as hard as you think.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
dopeboy206":228wm9i8 said:
dontbelikethat":228wm9i8 said:
Cano to M's, Peterson to UW...crazy day

I might just hop back on the m's bandwagon lol
There is no bandwagon....just a dead horse.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Comment I saw about this deal:

"Lets just all enjoy the moment when a player cared more about the money than being a Yankee."

So good.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2sdjcqv1 said:
akscoundrel":2sdjcqv1 said:
HawkFan72":2sdjcqv1 said:

The Angels dumped Vernon Wells. The Tigers dumped Prince Fielder.

It's not as hard as you think.

*depending on the language of the contract. I'm guessing the contract is in cano's favor.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I woke up to see this, and then I see that y'all got Petersen too?! This is AWESOME.

Not that I think the Cano contract is smart - I just hope he's still elite for three years, very good for two years after that, and good for two years after that before dropping off a cliff - but it is exciting. Maybe the Ms trade for Matt Kemp and James Shields and sign Shin Soo Choo too and they can actually make the damn playoffs.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
The best part of this is that this is done before the Winter Meetings. The M's can go all-out on the deals they want to make knowing full-well what their budget is with Cano.

Rather than be tentative and making low-ball offers because they have no idea of what Cano will end of costing.

The timing of this helps the M's big-time.

Atradees

Reaction score
With this contract-

"The Mariners cleared about $35 million off their books when contracts for veterans Franklin Gutierrez, Joe Saunders, Michael Morse, Kendrys Morales, Raul Ibanez and Chone Figgins expired.."-Greg Johns / MLB.com

They are still under last years 90 million payroll?- Than to me its a win. Now lets go spend more than 125 million.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Maybe i'll be able to watch an at bat without taking a nap. Havnt been able to do that since Ichiro was in his prime five years ago or so.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
WTF?

Hell, I'm in! Its not my money. We havent dumped a single promising young player and seem to be in for a couple more.

Whatever brings some relevancy back to this market. Lets just do it. No more treating this thing like nurturing a sick horse... just buy a new one and put it to work

akscoundrel

Reaction score
m0ng0":19ryptdy said:

Its only been how many minutes since we signed cano? And you're gonna ask this as if to prove a point? You could be right, and it all works out(I hope so), but looking back we will all probably be saying (well, the writing WAS on the wall).

I'm more so looking in the future when we can't sign the next arod because our budgets maxed.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
akscoundrel":1f8s2dwj said:
m0ng0":1f8s2dwj said:

Its only been how many minutes since we signed cano? And you're gonna ask this as if to prove a point? You could be right, and it all works out(I hope so), but looking back we will all probably be saying (well, the writing WAS on the wall).

I'm more so looking in the future when we can't sign the next arod because our budgets maxed.

You think we have or will have the next ARod somewhere in our organization? lol

Uncle Si

Reaction score
akscoundrel":22yjm573 said:
m0ng0":22yjm573 said:

seriously though... we've been waiting around for 5 years for them to develop an All-star. They traded both away (Adam Jones and then Pineda). That philosophy has been replaced by this one. Now we have all the youth talent our organization has developed and one of the best hitters in baseball...