Robinson Cano has agreed to 10 years/$240 mill

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • Pending physical
    Follow me on Twitter: @realchrisbrown5
    Backpack Rich
    ChrisB Bacon
    NET Veteran

• Holy crap! What is going on in Seattle today?!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• I'm just glad we decided to start spending money finally. In a non-salary cap sport, it's proven that you buy championships.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

• Well everyone, he'll has frozen over. The mariners actually spent money on a player actually worth a damn (not named Felix Hernandez)
    jhawk91
    NET Veteran

• mariners have nothing to lose. They needed a bat. I like the move.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    U MAD BRAH?
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Cano to M's, Peterson to UW...crazy day
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• dontbelikethat wrote:Cano to M's, Peterson to UW...crazy day

I might just hop back on the m's bandwagon lol
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

• dopeboy206 wrote:
    dontbelikethat wrote:Cano to M's, Peterson to UW...crazy day

You'll have to fix the wheels first. I think that wagon got fire-bombed actually... perhaps just buy a new wagon.
    Marvin49 wrote:Ok. I have to admit. That's messed up.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

• Cartire wrote:I'm just glad we decided to start spending money finally. In a non-salary cap sport, it's proven that you buy championships.

We have spent money here before, Jim McElvane, Benoit Benjiman, Adrián Beltré , Jeff Cirillo, Chone Figgins, Richie Sexson, Heathcliff Slocumb, Richie Zisk, Érik Bédard ,

Yeah that buying championships worked out real well here in both basketball and baseball.

You build and scout well, Oakland has done it for years, they just don't keep the talent, add a FA here and there to support your roster and go. Texas and the Angels have done well using that method as well, not wholesale FA buying to supplement a roster built in the farm system.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Let me start by saying that I'm excited that a very good player has chosen to come to Seattle (albeit for tons of money). It may well make the Mariners more enjoyable to watch next year, and that in and of itself would be a victory.

That said, unless this really signifies that the team is ready to raise payroll WELL above current levels and continue to spend to put other pieces around Cano, Hernandez, and Iwakuma, this is going to go down as a very silly deal in the long run. The M's need a lot more than just Cano, and I hope they realize that they'll have to continue to overspend to get additional talented players to actually field a winning team with Cano. Moves like this aren't what breed long-term success, and if you couple it by trading away prospects for David Price, we'll just be left with the same thing we've had the last couple of years: one or two good to great players and a ton of awful ones.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• 10 years is a reeeeeeal long term (wouldn't give anyone other than Trout that, maybe Harper) but sometimes that's what you gotta do when your in the Mariners position to make a splash.

Be interesting to see what happens on the David Price front now.

EDIT: Not really in touch with the Mariners system, how close is Taijuan Walker from the majors? Read various reports saying he could crack opening day roster, to he should be up by all-star break or a September call-up? Later?
    Last edited by GCrow on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
    GCrow
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:
    Cartire wrote:I'm just glad we decided to start spending money finally. In a non-salary cap sport, it's proven that you buy championships.

We have spent money here before, Jim McElvane, Benoit Benjiman, Adrián Beltré , Jeff Cirillo, Chone Figgins, Richie Sexson, Heathcliff Slocumb, Richie Zisk, Érik Bédard ,

Yeah that buying championships worked out real well here in both basketball and baseball.

You build and scout well, Oakland has done it for years, they just don't keep the talent, add a FA here and there to support your roster and go. Texas and the Angels have done well using that method as well, not wholesale FA buying to supplement a roster built in the farm system.

I agree with some of what your saying but you have to start somewhere. Seattle much like Oakland has been unable to keep their homegrown talent. Signing Cano is a signal that they are willing to change the culture and start producing. Throwing a bunch of first and second year players with Inbanez isn't a recipe for success. Cano is a whale. Mariners only have a legit shot of landing a whale once in a blue moon. I like this move. If they can now pull off a trade for Kemp and I would say we are in the conversation to win west.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Congrats to the M's! Outstanding pickup.

Already circled the M's game when they come into Toronto. Have to wait all the way till the 2nd last series! Sept. 22.

Go Jays!
    :)
    silverss
    NET Rookie

• CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    Cartire wrote:I'm just glad we decided to start spending money finally. In a non-salary cap sport, it's proven that you buy championships.

I agree with some of what your saying but you have to start somewhere. Seattle much like Oakland has been unable to keep their homegrown talent. Signing Cano is a signal that they are willing to change the culture and start producing. Throwing a bunch of first and second year players with Inbanez isn't a recipe for success. Cano is a whale. Mariners only have a legit shot of landing a whale once in a blue moon. I like this move. If they can now pull off a trade for Kemp and I would say we are in the conversation to win west.

Is it? Or is it a sign of the same culture that aches to throw its limited payroll at players irresponsibly in the hopes that a signing will somehow be transformative? I hope you're right, but after a decade of incompetence, I'm skeptical. This same FO is considering another Adam Jones-style trade for David Price.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

I like it also, I was more responding to whole sale buying of talent of Cartire in buying championships like the Marlins did and Yankees have a history of doing, yet that has not worked so well lately. You need a touch of Midas to merge and manage high ego and priced talent, Steinbrenner had it, current staff in NY does not.

Piece work additions to supplement our talent has always been a good strat. You now need to add another to supplement him so he can be effective in the line up and not pitched around. They have the rest of the talent on the roster to get on and play on base baseball. Just had nobody to bring them in, or nobody to one swing win games other then Ibanez really.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• jkitsune wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

Is it? Or is it a sign of the same culture that aches to throw its limited payroll at players irresponsibly in the hopes that a signing will somehow be transformative? I hope you're right, but after a decade of incompetence, I'm skeptical. This same FO is considering another Adam Jones-style trade for David Price.

I think it is. Of the mentioned FAs the Ms have landed in the past only Beltre would I consider to be in this range. Chone Figgins wasn't going to change anything.

What is the alternative? Do what we've been doing for 4 years? Not develop young talent, sign way past prime vets and hope for the best?
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• I thought The Albert Pujols deal was horrible. But this..

scifly
    NET Practice Squad

• And the Mets sign Curtis Granderson.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• m0ng0 wrote:WOW ! I gotta say I am kinda liking where things are going :D

Yes, spending an obnoxious amount of money on a dude who's best years are behind him, and was just looking to cash out on retirement is a real positive change....

At best, we are looking at a few *decent* years of production, a few years where he doesnt have much left, and a few years ot just being a useless ball and chain to this organization. Lets also keep pretending he didnt benefit from yankee stadiums short right porch, or that the ball doesnt travel exceedingly well in safeco.

I understand the mentality of trying to turn things around, but this was a terrible deal. 10 years to a 31 year old? Lmfao.

want to know the change I want to see? Developing players, and actually keeping them when them become really good!
    akscoundrel
    NET Rookie

• This contract will look terrible in 5 years, but who cares? The M's needed to do something like this. They now have an elite player to build around on Offense at a position where offense is hard to come by.

Cano will probably be traded when he's 35 or 36 in a salary dump. Until that time, the Mariners are unquestionably better.

At least the money won't just be wasted on guys like Ibanez, Morse, and Joe Saunders before the M's will call it a day.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• Congrats on getting the guy they wanted. He produced when the other star players in NY were not on the field much.

Lets hope this helps change our losing ways.
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• As a Jays fan i'll just ask, can you please get David Price out of the division as well? Be appreciated.
    GCrow
    NET Veteran

• HawkFan72 wrote:This contract will look terrible in 5 years, but who cares? The M's needed to do something like this. They now have an elite player to build around on Offense at a position where offense is hard to come by.

Cano will probably be traded when he's 35 or 36 in a salary dump. Until that time, the Mariners are unquestionably better.

At least the money won't just be wasted on guys like Ibanez, Morse, and Joe Saunders before the M's will call it a day.

Thats the biggie tho, in 5 years it'll be a 120 million 5 year dead weight ball and chain, stopping us from doing other things.
    akscoundrel
    NET Rookie

• akscoundrel wrote:
    want to know the change I want to see? Developing players, and actually keeping them when them become really good!

name one piece of developing talent that we have lost by signing Cano?

By signing Cano it shows me that "maybe" the team is going to be willing to pay developing talent when the time comes, why would they make a splash like this if they were not trying to commit to win? They could have easily said hey we signed Willie Bloomquist and run business as usual and put the same team out there and pocket the profit.

BTW Seattle was 2nd in the league in homers last year with no big stick
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• akscoundrel wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:This contract will look terrible in 5 years, but who cares? The M's needed to do something like this. They now have an elite player to build around on Offense at a position where offense is hard to come by.

Thats the biggie tho, in 5 years it'll be a 120 million 5 year dead weight ball and chain, stopping us from doing other things.

The Angels dumped Vernon Wells. The Tigers dumped Prince Fielder.

It's not as hard as you think.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• dopeboy206 wrote:
    dontbelikethat wrote:Cano to M's, Peterson to UW...crazy day

There is no bandwagon....just a dead horse.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• Comment I saw about this deal:

"Lets just all enjoy the moment when a player cared more about the money than being a Yankee."

So good.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• HawkFan72 wrote:
    akscoundrel wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:This contract will look terrible in 5 years, but who cares? The M's needed to do something like this. They now have an elite player to build around on Offense at a position where offense is hard to come by.

The Angels dumped Vernon Wells. The Tigers dumped Prince Fielder.

It's not as hard as you think.

*depending on the language of the contract. I'm guessing the contract is in cano's favor.
    akscoundrel
    NET Rookie

• I woke up to see this, and then I see that y'all got Petersen too?! This is AWESOME.

Not that I think the Cano contract is smart - I just hope he's still elite for three years, very good for two years after that, and good for two years after that before dropping off a cliff - but it is exciting. Maybe the Ms trade for Matt Kemp and James Shields and sign Shin Soo Choo too and they can actually make the damn playoffs.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• Holy crap!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• M's are in on Napoli now...
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• The best part of this is that this is done before the Winter Meetings. The M's can go all-out on the deals they want to make knowing full-well what their budget is with Cano.

Rather than be tentative and making low-ball offers because they have no idea of what Cano will end of costing.

The timing of this helps the M's big-time.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• With this contract-

"The Mariners cleared about $35 million off their books when contracts for veterans Franklin Gutierrez, Joe Saunders, Michael Morse, Kendrys Morales, Raul Ibanez and Chone Figgins expired.."-Greg Johns / MLB.com

They are still under last years 90 million payroll?- Than to me its a win. Now lets go spend more than 125 million.
    Cassius Marsh is my 2014 Adopt a Pro Bowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• Maybe i'll be able to watch an at bat without taking a nap. Havnt been able to do that since Ichiro was in his prime five years ago or so.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• WTF?

Hell, I'm in! Its not my money. We havent dumped a single promising young player and seem to be in for a couple more.

Whatever brings some relevancy back to this market. Lets just do it. No more treating this thing like nurturing a sick horse... just buy a new one and put it to work
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• m0ng0 wrote:name one piece of developing talent that we have lost by signing Cano?

Its only been how many minutes since we signed cano? And you're gonna ask this as if to prove a point? You could be right, and it all works out(I hope so), but looking back we will all probably be saying (well, the writing WAS on the wall).

I'm more so looking in the future when we can't sign the next arod because our budgets maxed.
    akscoundrel
    NET Rookie

• akscoundrel wrote:
    m0ng0 wrote:name one piece of developing talent that we have lost by signing Cano?

Its only been how many minutes since we signed cano? And you're gonna ask this as if to prove a point? You could be right, and it all works out(I hope so), but looking back we will all probably be saying (well, the writing WAS on the wall).

I'm more so looking in the future when we can't sign the next arod because our budgets maxed.

You think we have or will have the next ARod somewhere in our organization? lol
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• akscoundrel wrote:
    m0ng0 wrote:name one piece of developing talent that we have lost by signing Cano?

seriously though... we've been waiting around for 5 years for them to develop an All-star. They traded both away (Adam Jones and then Pineda). That philosophy has been replaced by this one. Now we have all the youth talent our organization has developed and one of the best hitters in baseball...
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• goodbye Gutierrez
    U MAD BRAH?
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• HawkFan72 wrote:
    akscoundrel wrote:

Oh, so we're pretending that its never happened, nor can ever happen again?
    akscoundrel
    NET Rookie

• IMO, this has a grenade's chance of blowing up. Not because Cano is awful, career 309 hitter at Safeco. No, it's because I have an inherent mistrust of general managers who make a big splash to try and save their job. And make no mistake, Z's job is on the line.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• lets get russell wilson to play for the m's during the nfl offseason ;)
    U MAD BRAH?
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• akscoundrel wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:
    akscoundrel wrote:

I'm not pretending it didn't happen, I'm just not going to assume we'll have someone with that much talent in our farm system again in the next 10 years.

The Mariners offered ARod near $100 million, which at the time was a gigantic contract. The Rangers just went insane. Think about it. They offered ARod a deal that is normal NOW for the games best stars...over 12 YEARS ago. They WAY overpayed. That would be like us giving Cano a $400 million contract today if you want to compare the situations.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• This team has basically two big contracts and a bunch of peanuts around them. They actually can go spend another 50M and only have 110M in payroll or so.

Nick Franklin is getting traded, that's for sure. I'm hoping they sign Choo and trade for an outfielder (not Kemp), then trade more pieces for Price.

That would mean your opening day Ms look like:

C: Zunino
    1B: Choo
    2B: Cano
    3B: Seager
    SS: Miller
    LF: ?
    CF: ?
    RF: ?
    DH: ? (They seem to be chasing Napoli, and Morales isn't out of the question either)

SP: King Felix
    SP: Price
    SP: Iwakuma
    SP: ? (Paxton, maybe?)
    SP: ?

Not terrible. If we have to give up Walker, Franklin, Wilhelmsen, and Ackley in some combination to get Shields and an OF here, why the hell not? They're trying to win now, which should at least be interesting. I hated this move initially, but if we're going to do it, let's do it right.
    Last edited by Smelly McUgly on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• Price is younger and a lefty, but depending on what we would be forced to give up I would be good with either.....

**also I don't see Willie in that starting lineup ** :D
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• Outfield is a mess. They need to improve that before even thinking of trading for Price.
    Pick6
    NET Practice Squad

• HawkFan72 wrote:
    akscoundrel wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:
    akscoundrel wrote:

I'm not pretending it didn't happen, I'm just not going to assume we'll have someone with that much talent in our farm system again in the next 10 years.

The Mariners offered ARod near $100 million, which at the time was a gigantic contract. The Rangers just went insane. Think about it. They offered ARod a deal that is normal NOW for the games best stars...over 12 YEARS ago. They WAY overpayed. That would be like us giving Cano a $400 million contract today if you want to compare the situations.

Its the way of the world, talent is continually growing up and getting signed. Arod isnt even the most recent, but Felix Hernandez.

Yes the rangers went insane about it, but atleast arod was young(er) with his best years ahead of him. Its kinda hard to compare the two contracts because of different times, factors such as age and whatnot, but imo we just went as obnoxious with the cano contract. Think about this; we just spent more than the biggest spenders in baseball were willing to pay. And he's not a young talent with his best years ahead of him.

All in all, I hope it works out. I just know history is against us, and can see the writing on the wall. I understand the optimism, and realize that we'd all be willing to crawl through a pile of poop just for a sliver of success at this point.
    akscoundrel
    NET Rookie

• Actually, screw Price. We should try to get Tanaka.

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• Tanaka is a crap shoot, no way to know how his "stuff" translates to the MLB, but yeah thats an option to explore as well.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:26 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information