Robbie Cano

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Robbie Cano
Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:03 pm
  • THE MARINERS HAVE ENTERED THE SWEEPSTAKES
    THUGCAPS
    NET Rookie

Re: Robbie Cano
Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:06 pm
  • Just being used. We all have seen this before
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:11 pm
  • Tech Worlds wrote:Just being used. We all have seen this before

edited for now thinking we are getting used and even the signing of Ellsbury doesnt mean Cano wont go back to the Yankees..
    Last edited by Uncle Si on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:16 pm
  • If they land Cano and pull off a trade for say one of the Dodgers outfielders I'll believe their intentions are at least headed in the right direction.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:50 pm
  • If we pay more than 5/100 for a 31-year old second baseman, I'm going to...well, just sigh, I guess.

I'd rather just overpay Jacoby Ellsbury and let him bat leadoff for the next six years if we HAVE TO spend on someone in this sorry FA class this year.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:34 pm
  • Where is Franklin going to play? Say No to Cano
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:12 pm
  • Who knows anything anymore, amirite?
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:58 pm
  • Story will play out that there are talks, then a meeting set up, on the way to a meeting he signs with the Red Sox or Yankees or Angels.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:28 pm

Im ashamed/disheartened there is even talks of us potentially signing him for that kind of money. Haven't we already learned this lesson?

Any team thay signs him for that kind of money (or even close to it, or half of it, etc) will get exactly what they deserve for their own stupidity.
    akscoundrel
    NET Rookie

Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:33 pm
  • I think you guys nailed it. When these guys sign for that big of deal nothing good comes of it.
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:26 pm
  • Tech Worlds wrote:Just being used. We all have seen this before

:13: we have seen it with fielder, Hamilton, ... Every year linked to a big bat. Every year the mariners give more money to these players by just putting their hat in the ring. Then their agent say look at what the mariners offered. Then they meet in the middle and the mariners get used again. Be prepared, Willie bloomquist is our big signing this year. Who wants to come here to be in 4th place.
    GO HAWKS
    425HawkSpark
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:49 pm

Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:50 pm
  • so how about a list of players the team should be looking at? the cano move seems as popular as the bloomquist signing :D talk to me fans of the mariners who is out there that is a good fit?
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:11 pm
  • m0ng0 wrote:so how about a list of players the team should be looking at? the cano move seems as popular as the bloomquist signing :D talk to me fans of the mariners who is out there that is a good fit?

We need power and no power want to come. We get overpaid average players with some contact and defense. I'm a huge mariners fan, but it's simple NO wants to come here other than some pitchers for a stop gap to try and lower their ERA. People use their no trade clause and don't come here. It's been a hard decade. :180670:
    GO HAWKS
    425HawkSpark
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:57 am
  • I'm reading more on it and I'm for the acquisition of Cano (not the trade for Price though, I feel like if we are going to trade a young pitcher it should be Paxton and for hitting).

If Cano is part of a broader plan to bring in 2-3 top players and simply ceiling the teams salary this year in the hopes of saving jobs than screw it. if it doesnt work? what else is new. Weve been rebuilding poorly for several years. Atleast this is a change.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:03 am
  • as am I, keep the core of pitchers, re sign Morales if the price is not outrageous, look for an outfield stick or two.....
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:29 am
  • I would agree with the 2 above posts. We need to keep what we have and spend to improve. Our history as of late with trades is at best a wash with the return.
    I am afraid that Z maybe in panic mode to save his job and will now go for "win now at all costs "
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:40 pm
  • getnasty wrote:Where is Franklin going to play?

In Tampa after we trade him and Taijuan Walker for David Price as if that's going to be a smart mo--**sobs**
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:37 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:
    getnasty wrote:Where is Franklin going to play?

In Tampa after we trade him and Taijuan Walker for David Price as if that's going to be a smart mo--**sobs**

what part would bother you more, losing Franklin or Walker? (I still dont see the deal going through. I feel like salary restraints will derail that one).

but seriously, as far as philosophy goes, Walker (his upside is as high as the risk of simply throwing his arm out) for a near Cy young level pitcher?

to me, the deal looks good, IF the Ms were closer (which they arent). they need more, and Price isnt what they need more of
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:28 pm
  • Well reports are that he is in Seattle today and the M's are willing to offer 10 years at 240-250 mil. That's a whole lot of dough!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:41 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:Well reports are that he is in Seattle today and the M's are willing to offer 10 years at 240-250 mil. That's a whole lot of dough!

Seems like ARod 2.0 offer. Maybe Cano can find a party crew here in the PNW? I see this as a negotiation ploy on his part, to see if he can get the Yankees to move up their evaluation of his worth. We will see.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:47 pm
  • sounds like an agent power play is going on between Scott Boras whom brokered Jacoby Ellsbury's new deal and Jay Z. Just for more fun on the subject :D
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:50 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:
    getnasty wrote:Where is Franklin going to play?

what part would bother you more, losing Franklin or Walker? (I still dont see the deal going through. I feel like salary restraints will derail that one).

but seriously, as far as philosophy goes, Walker (his upside is as high as the risk of simply throwing his arm out) for a near Cy young level pitcher?

to me, the deal looks good, IF the Ms were closer (which they arent). they need more, and Price isnt what they need more of

Losing Franklin. Pitchers are prone to freak injuries. Franklin, on the other hand, is a very promising second baseman under team control for a whole lot of years.

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:53 pm
  • Also, did the Mariners not see what happened to the Angels with Albert Pujols? Lincoln and Armstrong and Jack Z all hate us. Are they 49ers fans? Are they all close buddies with David Stern? We'll be paying a 41-year-old second baseman 20M if he takes this deal?

Geez, I hope Nintendo sells a hell of a lot more WiiUs.

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:10 pm
  • $250mil over 10 years? Good. If we get him at least we are trying and if we don't, bleed those NYC SOBs for as much as we can.

.....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:35 pm
  • FS1 reported that the Mariners' offer to Cano was less than $200 million.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:49 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:FS1 reported that the Mariners' offer to Cano was less than $200 million.

Jay-Z and Cano wouldn't be coming out here tonight were that true.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I hope Rosenthal is right, but on his own Twitter feed, he posted that news and then said in the very next post that the Ms could well move on that and give up 240M anyway.

Jon Heyman is saying the Ms offered 9/225.

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:56 pm
  • Sign him and pull off the trade for Kemp. Confidence restoted. Fannies in seats.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:00 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:Sign him and pull off the trade for Kemp. Confidence restoted. Fannies in seats.

what is the trade Kemp rumor? Any details?
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:36 pm
  • m0ng0 wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:Sign him and pull off the trade for Kemp. Confidence restoted. Fannies in seats.

Same players for price. I did hear we are offering miller and Franklin.
    GO HAWKS
    425HawkSpark
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:45 pm
  • 425HawkSpark wrote:
    m0ng0 wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:Sign him and pull off the trade for Kemp. Confidence restoted. Fannies in seats.

Same players for price. I did hear we are offering miller and Franklin.

Miller and Franklin for a guy that has been injury prone and really only had 1 really good year?
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:42 pm
  • I'm not a huge Mariners fan, but I had a friend just text me about his friend with a source saying Cano has signed with Seattle. Basically, Cano responded to a joking, congratulatory text mistakenly thinking the source knew something he really didn't with, "Thanks. I'm happy to be a Mariner".

It could be bullshit, so take it for what it's worth. I imagine by tomorrow word will get out either way whether it's true.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:18 pm
  • The Mariners need to sign Cano. Break this cycle of mediocrity.

You know if they don't sign him, they will just blow the money on worthless guys like Ibanez and Morse and Joe Saunders. I have ZERO confidence that they know how to fill out a roster of good players. They overpay these guys anyway, might as well sign one of the best players in baseball.

You can build around Cano. And he has a way higher chance of being productive for the next 5 years than Pujols (age) and Hamilton (inconsistency) had. If you are going to throw a ton of money at someone, Cano is as good as you're going to find.

Sign him and you have a great player to put other pieces around. If he tanks, you can eat some cash and dump him on another team (like the Tigers just did with the Fielder contract).

It's worth the overpay. It breaks the cycle we're stuck in of overpaying for guys no one else wants who absolutely suck.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:37 pm
  • They need Cano to get to mediocrity, Cano's a good start though lol
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:28 am
  • Looks like Jay-Z is leveraging the Mariners to me. Change up the demands after having a framework in mind seems he just wants the Yankees to come back to the table

http://deadspin.com/reports-mariners-break-off-talks-with-robinson-cano-1477850832

Cano and his camp arrived in Seattle with what sources described as basically an eight-year deal for $200 million in hand and the assurances that Seattle would go to nine years and $225 million. But when Jay Z then upped the ante to 10 years for $252 million, Mariners president Howard Lincoln apparently "exploded," according to one of the sources, and ended the meeting.

Some more info probably already known

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24350250/mariners-are-in-big-for-cano-the-question-is-is-he-ready-for-big-change

The Mariners have to overcome a lot to win Cano, so they need to open their wallet big time. And it's not just that they're the Mariners and the Yankees are the Yankees. Consider ...

• It is well known that the new Cano agent Jay Z badly wanted Cano in New York, where he can presumably take full advantage of his marketing ideas, whatever they may be, and where Cano can be close to him.

• Cano's father Jose Cano, who played for the Houston Astros, and who's something of a stage father, badly wanted Cano in New York, too, and Cano listens to his father.

• Seattle is a long way from the 40-40 club and other New York City haunts Cano loves to frequent (and it isn't even known if he's a coffee drinker).

• Seattle is a long way from New York, and an even longer way from the Dominican Republic.

• Safeco Field historically has been one of the worst parks for hitters in the majors (though they lowered the fences and moved them in a bit last year). One baseball person wondered whether he could jeopardize his Hall-of-Fame chances by going from a 30-homer guy to 20.

• The Mariners still couldn't offer him much in the way of lineup protection.While they are trying for other big players such as Matt Kemp and Nelson Cruz, their best player at present is Kyle Seager.

• They are the Mariners. They've been crummy four straight years and have never made a World Series, contrasting with the Yankees, who have only missed the playoffs twice since 1995 and averaged 96 wins in that period.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:43 am
  • The Yankees wont give him the 9 year the Ms offered nor the 10 year offer Jay Z wants. Cano might not be a Mariner, but I doubt he's a Yankee for anything more than a 7 year deal.

It signals another turn in the increasingly frustrating yet ultimately comical wheel that is the Mariners. What frustrates me the most is that Jack Z continues to try and nab the Fielder, Hamilton, and now Cano deals instead of taking the money he would have spent there and improving the team in other ways. In each of the first two attempts, once Fielder and Hamilton moved on (and thankfully in hindsight) their was no significant back up plan to spend that money.. only Ibanez and Morse. Why is he so incessant on spending on one guy? If you're willing to spend 25 million per year then cant it be done elsewhere if Cano doesnt work out? thats what scares me, is Jack Z will shut down if/when this doesnt work instead of dutifully applying the 25 million in a more constructive and creative manner.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:53 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:The Yankees wont give him the 9 year the Ms offered nor the 10 year offer Jay Z wants. Cano might not be a Mariner, but I doubt he's a Yankee for anything more than a 7 year deal.

It signals another turn in the increasingly frustrating yet ultimately comical wheel that is the Mariners. What frustrates me the most is that Jack Z continues to try and nab the Fielder, Hamilton, and now Cano deals instead of taking the money he would have spent there and improving the team in other ways. In each of the first two attempts, once Fielder and Hamilton moved on (and thankfully in hindsight) their was no significant back up plan to spend that money.. only Ibanez and Morse. Why is he so incessant on spending on one guy? If you're willing to spend 25 million per year then cant it be done elsewhere if Cano doesnt work out? thats what scares me, is Jack Z will shut down if/when this doesnt work instead of dutifully applying the 25 million in a more constructive and creative manner.

That's the point I was trying to make above. Z does not know how to build a team if he doesn't get the big bat. All the guys that would be perfect fits to fill out the roster are left sitting out there and then they sign with other teams for great, cheap deals.

And then Z blows his cash wad on all these horrible signings.

At least if he's going to blow the budget on someone, I would rather it be someone who is actually good since Z is blind to all the other great talent sitting out there.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:53 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:The Yankees wont give him the 9 year the Ms offered nor the 10 year offer Jay Z wants. Cano might not be a Mariner, but I doubt he's a Yankee for anything more than a 7 year deal.

To be honest, this tendency alone spurs me more than anything on z. He originally seemed like a thoughtful, patient gm with a long term focus on farm development and only thoughtful fa signings. As years have gone on, those qualities are no longer to be found, and it reeks of desperation.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:50 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information