Robbie Cano

drdiags

Reaction score
Blitzer88":3ojtifsx said:
Well reports are that he is in Seattle today and the M's are willing to offer 10 years at 240-250 mil. That's a whole lot of dough!

Seems like ARod 2.0 offer. Maybe Cano can find a party crew here in the PNW? I see this as a negotiation ploy on his part, to see if he can get the Yankees to move up their evaluation of his worth. We will see.

m0ng0

Reaction score
sounds like an agent power play is going on between Scott Boras whom brokered Jacoby Ellsbury's new deal and Jay Z. Just for more fun on the subject :D

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Uncle Si":1sp4pn1i said:
Smelly McUgly":1sp4pn1i said:
getnasty":1sp4pn1i said:
Where is Franklin going to play?

In Tampa after we trade him and Taijuan Walker for David Price as if that's going to be a smart mo--**sobs**

what part would bother you more, losing Franklin or Walker? (I still dont see the deal going through. I feel like salary restraints will derail that one).

but seriously, as far as philosophy goes, Walker (his upside is as high as the risk of simply throwing his arm out) for a near Cy young level pitcher?

to me, the deal looks good, IF the Ms were closer (which they arent). they need more, and Price isnt what they need more of

Losing Franklin. Pitchers are prone to freak injuries. Franklin, on the other hand, is a very promising second baseman under team control for a whole lot of years.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
Also, did the Mariners not see what happened to the Angels with Albert Pujols? Lincoln and Armstrong and Jack Z all hate us. Are they 49ers fans? Are they all close buddies with David Stern? We'll be paying a 41-year-old second baseman 20M if he takes this deal?

Geez, I hope Nintendo sells a hell of a lot more WiiUs.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
$250mil over 10 years? Good. If we get him at least we are trying and if we don't, bleed those NYC SOBs for as much as we can.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1cy3ht11 said:
FS1 reported that the Mariners' offer to Cano was less than $200 million.

Jay-Z and Cano wouldn't be coming out here tonight were that true.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I hope Rosenthal is right, but on his own Twitter feed, he posted that news and then said in the very next post that the Ms could well move on that and give up 240M anyway.

Jon Heyman is saying the Ms offered 9/225.

m0ng0

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2s6fdciv said:
Sign him and pull off the trade for Kemp. Confidence restoted. Fannies in seats.

what is the trade Kemp rumor? Any details?

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
m0ng0":3gwg3ocs said:
CALIHAWK1":3gwg3ocs said:
Sign him and pull off the trade for Kemp. Confidence restoted. Fannies in seats.

Same players for price. I did hear we are offering miller and Franklin.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
425HawkSpark":2xqr9pb1 said:
m0ng0":2xqr9pb1 said:
CALIHAWK1":2xqr9pb1 said:

Same players for price. I did hear we are offering miller and Franklin.

Miller and Franklin for a guy that has been injury prone and really only had 1 really good year?

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I'm not a huge Mariners fan, but I had a friend just text me about his friend with a source saying Cano has signed with Seattle. Basically, Cano responded to a joking, congratulatory text mistakenly thinking the source knew something he really didn't with, "Thanks. I'm happy to be a Mariner".

It could be bullshit, so take it for what it's worth. I imagine by tomorrow word will get out either way whether it's true.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
The Mariners need to sign Cano. Break this cycle of mediocrity.

You know if they don't sign him, they will just blow the money on worthless guys like Ibanez and Morse and Joe Saunders. I have ZERO confidence that they know how to fill out a roster of good players. They overpay these guys anyway, might as well sign one of the best players in baseball.

You can build around Cano. And he has a way higher chance of being productive for the next 5 years than Pujols (age) and Hamilton (inconsistency) had. If you are going to throw a ton of money at someone, Cano is as good as you're going to find.

Sign him and you have a great player to put other pieces around. If he tanks, you can eat some cash and dump him on another team (like the Tigers just did with the Fielder contract).

It's worth the overpay. It breaks the cycle we're stuck in of overpaying for guys no one else wants who absolutely suck.

drdiags

Reaction score
Looks like Jay-Z is leveraging the Mariners to me. Change up the demands after having a framework in mind seems he just wants the Yankees to come back to the table

http://deadspin.com/reports-mariners-break-off-talks-with-robinson-cano-1477850832

Cano and his camp arrived in Seattle with what sources described as basically an eight-year deal for $200 million in hand and the assurances that Seattle would go to nine years and $225 million. But when Jay Z then upped the ante to 10 years for $252 million, Mariners president Howard Lincoln apparently "exploded," according to one of the sources, and ended the meeting.

Some more info probably already known

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer...no-the-question-is-is-he-ready-for-big-change

The Mariners have to overcome a lot to win Cano, so they need to open their wallet big time. And it's not just that they're the Mariners and the Yankees are the Yankees. Consider ...

• It is well known that the new Cano agent Jay Z badly wanted Cano in New York, where he can presumably take full advantage of his marketing ideas, whatever they may be, and where Cano can be close to him.

• Cano's father Jose Cano, who played for the Houston Astros, and who's something of a stage father, badly wanted Cano in New York, too, and Cano listens to his father.

• Seattle is a long way from the 40-40 club and other New York City haunts Cano loves to frequent (and it isn't even known if he's a coffee drinker).

• Seattle is a long way from New York, and an even longer way from the Dominican Republic.

• Safeco Field historically has been one of the worst parks for hitters in the majors (though they lowered the fences and moved them in a bit last year). One baseball person wondered whether he could jeopardize his Hall-of-Fame chances by going from a 30-homer guy to 20.

• The Mariners still couldn't offer him much in the way of lineup protection.While they are trying for other big players such as Matt Kemp and Nelson Cruz, their best player at present is Kyle Seager.

• They are the Mariners. They've been crummy four straight years and have never made a World Series, contrasting with the Yankees, who have only missed the playoffs twice since 1995 and averaged 96 wins in that period.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The Yankees wont give him the 9 year the Ms offered nor the 10 year offer Jay Z wants. Cano might not be a Mariner, but I doubt he's a Yankee for anything more than a 7 year deal.

It signals another turn in the increasingly frustrating yet ultimately comical wheel that is the Mariners. What frustrates me the most is that Jack Z continues to try and nab the Fielder, Hamilton, and now Cano deals instead of taking the money he would have spent there and improving the team in other ways. In each of the first two attempts, once Fielder and Hamilton moved on (and thankfully in hindsight) their was no significant back up plan to spend that money.. only Ibanez and Morse. Why is he so incessant on spending on one guy? If you're willing to spend 25 million per year then cant it be done elsewhere if Cano doesnt work out? thats what scares me, is Jack Z will shut down if/when this doesnt work instead of dutifully applying the 25 million in a more constructive and creative manner.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Uncle Si":845c5zyu said:
The Yankees wont give him the 9 year the Ms offered nor the 10 year offer Jay Z wants. Cano might not be a Mariner, but I doubt he's a Yankee for anything more than a 7 year deal.

It signals another turn in the increasingly frustrating yet ultimately comical wheel that is the Mariners. What frustrates me the most is that Jack Z continues to try and nab the Fielder, Hamilton, and now Cano deals instead of taking the money he would have spent there and improving the team in other ways. In each of the first two attempts, once Fielder and Hamilton moved on (and thankfully in hindsight) their was no significant back up plan to spend that money.. only Ibanez and Morse. Why is he so incessant on spending on one guy? If you're willing to spend 25 million per year then cant it be done elsewhere if Cano doesnt work out? thats what scares me, is Jack Z will shut down if/when this doesnt work instead of dutifully applying the 25 million in a more constructive and creative manner.

That's the point I was trying to make above. Z does not know how to build a team if he doesn't get the big bat. All the guys that would be perfect fits to fill out the roster are left sitting out there and then they sign with other teams for great, cheap deals.

And then Z blows his cash wad on all these horrible signings.

At least if he's going to blow the budget on someone, I would rather it be someone who is actually good since Z is blind to all the other great talent sitting out there.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Uncle Si":6fwj7wmu said:

To be honest, this tendency alone spurs me more than anything on z. He originally seemed like a thoughtful, patient gm with a long term focus on farm development and only thoughtful fa signings. As years have gone on, those qualities are no longer to be found, and it reeks of desperation.