Sounders Season Thread ***YEDLIN SOLD***

Smurf

Reaction score
Out:
RM Mauro Rosales (Traded to Chivas USA)
LM Steve Zakuani (Drafted by Portland Timbers in Re-Entry Draft)
LB Marc Burch (Drafted by Colorado Rapids in Re-Entry Draft)
CM Adam Moffat (Traded to FC Dallas)
GK Michael Gspurning (Club Declined Option/Player Declined Reduced Salary)
CM Blair Gavin (Unselected in Re-Entry Draft)
ST Eddie Johnson (Traded to DC United for Allocation Money - A lot of it)
CB Patrick Ianni (Traded to Chicago Fire for Jalil Anibaba)
CB Jhon Kennedy Hurtado (Traded to Chicago Fire for Jalil Anibaba)
CM Shalrie Joseph (Not in Clubs plans, Buy out imminent)
CM Alex Caskey (Traded to DC United)
ST Fredy Montero (Loaned to, then purchased by Sporting CP)

In:
CB Chad Marshall (Trade from Columbus Crew)
GK Stephen Frei (Trade from Toronto FC)
ST Kenny Cooper (Trade from FC Dallas)
ST Tristan Bowen (Trade from Chivas USA)
ST Sean Okoli (Sounders FC Academy/Wake Forrest)
MF Aaron Kovar (Sounders FC Academy/Stanford)
ST Chad Barrett (Re-Entry Draft)
CB Janil Anibaba (Trade from Chicago Fire)
CB Damion Lowe (MLS Superdraft - 8th overall)
MF Fabio Pereira (MLS Superdraft)
MF Marco Pappa (MLS Allocation
MF Gonzalo Pineda
MF Michael Azira

Contract extensions:
CM Brad Evans
CM Osvaldo Alonso
LB Leo Gonzalez
GK Josh Ford
GK Marcus Hahnemann (now official announced)
FW Lamar Neagle

Loans:
CAM Clint Dempsey (Fulham - loaned through February)
ST Eriq Zavaleta (Chivas USA)
CB Jimmy Ockford (New York Cosmos)

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Which most likely means that Rosales and/or Martins won't be back next season. Since they need a DP spot for Alonso.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2pcm7tld said:
So, is Obafemi Martins good and worth keeping in real life? I ask because he is really good on FIFA '14. :lol:

He's very good when he plays...the problem is that he didn't play much last season.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Re: Rosales

He is currently out of contract. If he Re-signs it WILL NOT be for DP money. He's just not worth that anymore.

Re: Martins

Who the hell knows whats going on there. Adrian has been quoted saying he sees Martins, Dempsey, Alonso, Evans and Yedlin being the core of this team....yet Martins was quoted in an Italian paper saying he feel's "Out of the loop in Seattle" and wants to play in Turkey. I have no idea whats going to happen there. Our track record with DP's isn't exactly stellar. That said, Martins is a good enough player, and he has proved it when he's on the field...but the 15 months of constant football caught up with him at the end of the season.

In other news it was announced today that Orlando City will be joining MLS in 2015 as the 21st team (New York City FC will be #20 in 2014). There is also a press conference coming from San Antonio tomorrow...not sure what thats about...I'd be surprised if they announced #22 a day later. Also keep in mind that the Miami David Beckhams are only a few years from being a real thing as well.

Soccer in America is growing really, really close to the point where a Promotion/Relegation could, in theory, be potentially viable....but that is a very very hot button issue.

Regardless of all of that, We will be having back-to-back expansion drafts yet again (I assume) at the end of 2013, and 2014.

In related news there has been rumors floating around of a 4th DP slot opening up to teams. I'd imagine that would be heavily linked to a jump in Salary cap space as well (which the Sounders DESPERATELY need).

Interesting stuff happening in American Soccer these days.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I want to assert this is not an anti-MLS rant, more of a concern for its safety. I now have three players Ive worked with in the past in the MLS (two in reserves but still). as a coach, i want this league to succeed as it helps promote the sport at the younger ages.

there are already 4 too many teams in the MLS. adding more will water down an already watered down product. This isnt a reflection of soccer "growing" (there has never been an issue with participation numbers, and it is quite obvious that viewership is on the rise... soccer the sport is more popular than the NBA and NHL) as much as it is believing that these cities can sustain this version of the product.

this is a dangerous precipice the MLS is looking over. They have decided to take on the NBA and NHL (once the scheduling changes take place) in the markets these cities do well in (Miami, San Antonio are basketball cities). They believe they can sustain interest against these other sports without the star power (or even mediocre talent to be fair) the other leagues have. to me, this is where the MLS needs to rethink its approach to the players it brings in.

I had mentioned this earlier, and I believe it needs mentioning again... the MLS needs the backing of the world's bigger clubs if its going to succeed. Call it a "minor league" if you want to disparage it, but until these cities show the sustainability and interest in the sport that other B leagues in the world have shown their is always the danger the league will fail (again). 90% of the USMNT play outside the MLS. The highest tier of young players on the USMNT are "recruits" from other nations (mostly Germany and Mexico). We are not producing enough young talent (like the other major European league host nations do) to sustain a competitive league of 22-24 teams with domestic players. Getting the financial and tactical support of bigger clubs balance the MLS teams and also allow them access to exciting players. Barcelona and Real Madrid already employ B teams in the La Liga's 2nd league... imagine if Liverpool/United/City/Chelsea were loaning their starlets to their associated MLS teams for experience. to me Suso/Sterling/Ibe (Liverpool U21s) taking the field for the Sounders is far more exciting than Dempsey in his twilight.

Promotion/Relegation is a decade away in the MLS. they would not relegate a team without knowing the fan base would stick around long enough to maintain its financial balance. You can point to the Sounders and Timbers survival after the fall of the NASL, but think about the history of that. From 25-30K fans to 5-10K fans to 60K fans (for the Sounders). American (and its expatriates) soccer fans already view the top MLS teams as second to their favorite clubs (I get it Smurf, you dont, but you're part of the 2% and the numbers indicate that). How would they view these clubs if they suddenly fell from the top league of an already B league? I dont see it working.

just my thoughts...

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Speaking as a very casual fan that is just waiting to become a more involved soccer fan since we don't have a hockey team and since the NBA is forever dead to me no matter if some ghost of the Sonics franchise ever comes back...

...I think the quality of play is just night-and-day from the EPL, which I don't follow closely. I do see games on in bars, however, and man, those games are played at a ridiculous pace and with some great shots. I know that the EPL is the EPL and the MLS is still fledgling, but anything they could do to get some top-level players in their prime, or even some up-and-coming young players between the ages of 18-22, would be great.

I mean, I'm even playing FIFA and trying to get more of an understanding of the sport, the formations, etc., in that way, and as stupid as it sounds, it honestly makes me enjoy the game more as a viewer, but MLS games are hard to watch too regularly for me.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3ikxcbmi said:
I want to assert this is not an anti-MLS rant, more of a concern for its safety. I now have three players Ive worked with in the past in the MLS (two in reserves but still). as a coach, i want this league to succeed as it helps promote the sport at the younger ages.

there are already 4 too many teams in the MLS. adding more will water down an already watered down product. This isnt a reflection of soccer "growing" (there has never been an issue with participation numbers, and it is quite obvious that viewership is on the rise... soccer the sport is more popular than the NBA and NHL) as much as it is believing that these cities can sustain this version of the product.

this is a dangerous precipice the MLS is looking over. They have decided to take on the NBA and NHL (once the scheduling changes take place) in the markets these cities do well in (Miami, San Antonio are basketball cities). They believe they can sustain interest against these other sports without the star power (or even mediocre talent to be fair) the other leagues have. to me, this is where the MLS needs to rethink its approach to the players it brings in.

I had mentioned this earlier, and I believe it needs mentioning again... the MLS needs the backing of the world's bigger clubs if its going to succeed. Call it a "minor league" if you want to disparage it, but until these cities show the sustainability and interest in the sport that other B leagues in the world have shown their is always the danger the league will fail (again). 90% of the USMNT play outside the MLS. The highest tier of young players on the USMNT are "recruits" from other nations (mostly Germany and Mexico). We are not producing enough young talent (like the other major European league host nations do) to sustain a competitive league of 22-24 teams with domestic players. Getting the financial and tactical support of bigger clubs balance the MLS teams and also allow them access to exciting players. Barcelona and Real Madrid already employ B teams in the La Liga's 2nd league... imagine if Liverpool/United/City/Chelsea were loaning their starlets to their associated MLS teams for experience. to me Suso/Sterling/Ibe (Liverpool U21s) taking the field for the Sounders is far more exciting than Dempsey in his twilight.

Promotion/Relegation is a decade away in the MLS. they would not relegate a team without knowing the fan base would stick around long enough to maintain its financial balance. You can point to the Sounders and Timbers survival after the fall of the NASL, but think about the history of that. From 25-30K fans to 5-10K fans to 60K fans (for the Sounders). American (and its expatriates) soccer fans already view the top MLS teams as second to their favorite clubs (I get it Smurf, you dont, but you're part of the 2% and the numbers indicate that). How would they view these clubs if they suddenly fell from the top league of an already B league? I dont see it working.

just my thoughts...

Greath thoughts here Si. I don't disagree, but have some differing opinions.

I agree with you that the MLS is expanding at a rate that is too quick, and potentially unsustainable. I think a large portion of that is due to its unwillingness to acknowledge mistakes. Chivas USA should not be part of the MLS. Period. They have Zero fan support, their front office is a disaster, and this has not changed in 8+ years....That franchise is the worst in MLS and a feel terrible for the 3000 people that show up for their home games. I honestly do.

They should not have put another team in LA after the Galaxy. Period. The point of Chivas was to capitalize on the large hispanic populous in LA...well guess what, those fans are close enough to the boarder that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to follow the Mexican Premiera. They already have clubs they love, they don't need one close to home. I think MLS has failed on a large scale with that franchise and need to cut their losses. Move the team, or dissolve it.

The other thing that has bothered me about MLS expansion is the random focus they had on minor markets in the early 2000's. Colorado, Salt Lake, Columbus....These choices are bizarre to me. They seem to be working out now, but boy did they take a while.

I think the biggest failing the MLS has had was allowing the New York Red Bulls to put their arena outside of New York City. That is preposterous and their attendance has suffered for it. Now you are putting a second team in New York...whose stadium will actually be IN New York...I fear for that Red Bulls franchises sustainability. There is a direct correlation to Attendance numbers and the stadium's proximity to the downtown area. Seattle, Portland, LA, Montreal, Vancouver, Sporting KC, Houston, RSL, Philly....all these teams have their stadiums relatively close to the downtown area...It matters. I think that is something that is VERY, VERY important to consider with expansion.

You're mention of the larger clubs backing MLS teams is already sort of happening. RSL, Colorado and a few other clubs have "Ties" to European clubs like Arsenal, Juve, Man Utd....but New York City FC are taking that to another level. They are being backed by Man City...and its been rumored that City will be sending over Gareth Berry and potentially a few others over to MLS when they start. I hope they bring some young players over....that would be great. I'd love it. I agree. I think if we had gotten the chance to watch Adnan Januzaj for the last 2 seasons it would be fantastic for the league. However I do worry that the larger clubs could use MLS as a way to increase their profits for the parent club. I don't want the MLS clubs to become a way the European teams balance their books.

The NY2 experiment will be interesting to watch unfold....especially with the Cosmos name in the NASL holding the hearts of many New Yorkers....

There is one thing that makes me happy about expansion....the more expansion dollars the league gets...the closer and closer we get to Robert Kraft selling the New England Revolution to someone who actually cares and understands football.

TL;DR: I dont like expansion, but am supporting it due to my support of the league. I agree the talent pool will be weaker without significant changes to the Salary Cap. NY2 will be interesting. Slippery slope if expansion fails.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":32k6l7rs said:
Speaking as a very casual fan that is just waiting to become a more involved soccer fan since we don't have a hockey team and since the NBA is forever dead to me no matter if some ghost of the Sonics franchise ever comes back...

...I think the quality of play is just night-and-day from the EPL, which I don't follow closely. I do see games on in bars, however, and man, those games are played at a ridiculous pace and with some great shots. I know that the EPL is the EPL and the MLS is still fledgling, but anything they could do to get some top-level players in their prime, or even some up-and-coming young players between the ages of 18-22, would be great.

I mean, I'm even playing FIFA and trying to get more of an understanding of the sport, the formations, etc., in that way, and as stupid as it sounds, it honestly makes me enjoy the game more as a viewer, but MLS games are hard to watch too regularly for me.

You play FIFA on xbox? I'd love to have a game and chat about the sport. Maybe talk to you about whats happening, what to look for in games.

The biggest difference in the EPL and MLS are technical and tactical. EPL players are more technical with their skill set, and have better minds for the tactics of the game. The managers are better suited to set up their squads for certain looks. There was a reason Sir Alex Ferguson was as good as he was for that long of a time...there is a reason Arsene Wenger still manages Arsenal. Tactics matter and the European leagues blow the MLS out of the water.

As for the Technical side of it, thats all about youth development. We continue to improve in that department...look at this next generation coming out of college. They are getting better. New England Kelyn Rowe is a great example.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
razgriz737":1axlkke8 said:
Looks like we signed Evans to a mult-year contract.

Correct. Great, yet expected, news.

If I had to guess its probably 180k-250k range for about 3-4 years.

The core of the team is locked up for the next 3 years or so, just like Adrian had said.

Dempsey, Alonso, Evans. That's the core right there fellas. We will win or lose based on those guys and who we surround them with.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Interesting image I found. Visualization graph of Revenue and profit of MLS franchises.

BZi8RJQIMAAr57M

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Looks like the midfield is taking shape with Alonso, Evans, and Dempsey. Any chance they can bring Fredy Montero back? He's still listed on the roster at SoundersFC.com. Could use his scoring punch again...especially if they lose Johnson and Martins.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
hawkfan68":krfv8z1z said:
Looks like the midfield is taking shape with Alonso, Evans, and Dempsey. Any chance they can bring Fredy Montero back? He's still listed on the roster at SoundersFC.com. Could use his scoring punch again...especially if they lose Johnson and Martins.

Low percentage chance on Montero. He is on loan to Sporting in Portugal, which is one of the big Portuguese teams, where he is wrecking havoc. 9 Goals in 9 Appearances, making him the top scorer in the league.

From what I understand Sporting hold an option to buy Montero. I would expect them to pick up that option. Fee would be from about 4-11 million.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Wish to hell they would clear that defence out already. No more Hurtado or Scott!

knownone

Reaction score
I'm really confused, I've seen rumors that both Martins and EJ could be moved this winter. This makes zero sense, who would play up top? A team that struggled to finish, moving on from the two guys who've proven they can finish... Silly

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":10yxl8ky said:
Wish to hell they would clear that defence out already. No more Hurtado or Scott!

Bite your tongue lad. Scott is a Sounder legend as welcome on this squad as long as he wants, like Levesque was.

as for Hurtado....he's not a bad defender....Just not great.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
knownone":3bm2w8h2 said:
I'm really confused, I've seen rumors that both Martins and EJ could be moved this winter. This makes zero sense, who would play up top? A team that struggled to finish, moving on from the two guys who've proven they can finish... Silly

EJ is more likely to go than Oba, IMO.

EJ is a situation that he put himself in. He opened his mouth when he shouldn't have, and now the club is weighing their options. Which is their right.

Personally I think Oba was misquoted in the Italian paper, as happens in football. However, its not far-fetched to believe he could be on his way out.

I don't foresee a situation where we lose BOTH Oba and EJ....and I feel that if Oba goes, EJ will stay (using the Oba money), and if EJ goes it means Oba is in fact committed to the club.

I think the Sounders will be all sorted out up top next season.

Also, don't rule out Clint Dempsey as an option up top. Especially if we find a true winger to add to the roster (someone not named Steve Zakuani).

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Clubs rumored to be interested in acquiring Dempsey on a loan spell starting in January: Spurs (First right of refusal), Newcastle, Southampton, and Fulham.