Sounders Season Thread - Sigi is STAYING

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Goal from Ozzie kept us in it. We can win down in Portland.

Yedlin will be back.

Oba into the 18 (need for extra-time).

Neagle suspended for next match.

Gonzalez and Scott most likely out.

knownone

Reaction score
That was rough to watch. We were in clear control through out most of the game, Portland finished their chances, we didn't.

Scott was awful tonight. Lamar continues to look lost in the final third.
Major disappointment.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
knownone":2ky2p9gx said:
That was rough to watch. We were in clear control through out most of the game, Portland finished their chances, we didn't.

Major disappointment.

I really disagree that this was a major disappointment.

Some bounces didn't go our way. It wasn't our night and we still managed to get away only down a goal on aggregate. This was what we needed. We've never scored in the first leg of a playoff series before....and we've never lost the second leg.

Picking up a goal here was huge.

Sure, would we have liked it to be 1-0 going into portland away? Hell yes we would...but the bounces were against us tonight and we are still in this fight. We arent down 4-0, we arent down 3-0. We aren't even down 2-0. It's 2-1.

1-0 gets us extra time.

2-0 gets us a win.

We are still in this, and we played fairly well. Thursday will be our night.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
You're delusional Smurf. There's no way this team wins this round at Portland. That would require them to score at least 3 goals. You know when the last time Seattle scored 3 goals on the road was? Me either, because it never happened this season. In Seattle's lat 10 road games they are 2-7-1 and have been outscored 18-6. That's six goals total in their last ten road games, and now you expect them to score 3 in one game, against one of the best teams in the league? And forget about winning 2-0, Seattle hasn't held a team scoreless on the road since August, and that was a poor Columbus team.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Christ on a bike Smurf how is losing at home not a major disappointment?

I mean I get they finished strong and were a bit unlucky. But those are huge chances wasted. No guarantee Portland comes out and sits for counter the way they did last night

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sounders are done. They can't protect their home turf. What makes anyone think this current squad can beat the Timbers in Portland? Another quick exit through the playoffs for the Sounders.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Question: Lets say Sounders win 2-1 at the end of regulation. What happens? Sudden death overtime followed by shootout? Or do they just keep going til somebody scores? Or what?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
JSeahawks":71fk09mj said:
Question: Lets say Sounders win 2-1 at the end of regulation. What happens? Sudden death overtime followed by shootout? Or do they just keep going til somebody scores? Or what?

IIRC, they would play 2 30 min overtime and then shootout.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1r13jbcl said:

30 minute extra time split into 2 15 minute halves.

If no winner is determined they will go to penalty kicks.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Argh ... Playoff soccer is so dumb. Aggregate games are so dumb.

Please get rid of it or stop with the nonsense of one round having aggregate games.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Jay, Hawkfan, Knowone, Si...

Major disappointment is losing the first leg 3-0....again. Major disappointment is losing a US Open Cup Final on the road because your keeper "came off his line" on a PK....

I know major disappointment. I know what it is. I know what it looks like. I'm a Seattle sports fan for christ sakes.

Losing the first leg 2-1 is not that. That is an improvement. That is a winnable situation. Ozzie's goal saved this from being a major disappointment. We are in this.

It's Portland. Road stats are irrelevant. It's a different animal. I would saying the opposite if I was a Caps or a Timbers fan. It's cascadia. Stats are irrelevant. This is pure hatred and emotion. This will be, and forever will be the outlier of statistics. It happens in all derby's in the world. The hot team in the derby doesn't always win. The home team doesn't always win. It's because its a f'ing derby.

All it takes is 1 moment of brilliance.

We need our goal, and we are going to go get it.

Just believe in your team gents.

Just believe.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
sammyc521":2wg6y4t7 said:

Please get rid of it or stop with the nonsense of one round having aggregate games.

Yeah, lets just get rid of one of the best parts of the sport. The drama aggregate is one of the best things for a sports fan on this planet. IMO, few things rival it.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":g5hqhmi9 said:
Jay, Hawkfan, Knowone, Si...

Major disappointment is losing the first leg 3-0....again. Major disappointment is losing a US Open Cup Final on the road because your keeper "came off his line" on a PK....

I know major disappointment. I know what it is. I know what it looks like. I'm a Seattle sports fan for christ sakes.

Losing the first leg 2-1 is not that. That is an improvement. That is a winnable situation. Ozzie's goal saved this from being a major disappointment. We are in this.

It's Portland. Road stats are irrelevant. It's a different animal. I would saying the opposite if I was a Caps or a Timbers fan. It's cascadia. Stats are irrelevant. This is pure hatred and emotion. This will be, and forever will be the outlier of statistics. It happens in all derby's in the world. The hot team in the derby doesn't always win. The home team doesn't always win. It's because its a f'ing derby.

All it takes is 1 moment of brilliance.

We need our goal, and we are going to go get it.

Just believe in your team gents.

Just believe.

Drama queen :)

knownone

Reaction score
Smurf":1l7yueum said:
knownone":1l7yueum said:

Major disappointment.

I really disagree that this was a major disappointment.

Some bounces didn't go our way. It wasn't our night and we still managed to get away only down a goal on aggregate. This was what we needed. We've never scored in the first leg of a playoff series before....and we've never lost the second leg.

Picking up a goal here was huge.

Sure, would we have liked it to be 1-0 going into portland away? Hell yes we would...but the bounces were against us tonight and we are still in this fight. We arent down 4-0, we arent down 3-0. We aren't even down 2-0. It's 2-1.

1-0 gets us extra time.

2-0 gets us a win.

We are still in this, and we played fairly well. Thursday will be our night.
When you dominate a team and lose 2-1 it's a major disappointment. I'm not doubting the team or saying the series is over, I'm disappointed because we should have won the game.

In most leagues losing 2-1 at home is a death sentence.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Smurf":2os3dnkc said:
sammyc521":2os3dnkc said:

Yeah, lets just get rid of one of the best parts of the sport. The drama aggregate is one of the best things for a sports fan on this planet. IMO, few things rival it.
Why is that every round is not aggregate?

When was the last time that a team that lead on the road, came back to their home crowd and lost? I honestly am curious.

Nothing rivals it because there's nothing like it. No sport does a home-home series where it's basically a double-match. It would be like playing 8 quarters (NBA or NFL), 18 innings or 6 periods. If the goal is to give fans an opportunity to watch a home game... why is it not implemented in every round?

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
sammyc521":27rrjqa9 said:
Why is that every round is not aggregate?

When was the last time that a team that lead on the road, came back to their home crowd and lost? I honestly am curious.

Nothing rivals it because there's nothing like it. No sport does a home-home series where it's basically a double-match. It would be like playing 8 quarters (NBA or NFL), 18 innings or 6 periods. If the goal is to give fans an opportunity to watch a home game... why is it not implemented in every round?

First, the MLB and NBA do best of seven series....same concept...cept they are counting wins, not score. I would like to know the aggregate scores of those playoffs. World Series was 27-14 Red Sox (10-5 in 2 game series). NBA finals was 689-684 Heat (195-172 in 2 game series). Stanley Cup was 17-15 (5-5 after 2 game series, 4-4 if you exclude OT). Seems to me like an aggregate system would work in those sports as well.

Second, I REALLY don't like comparing Soccer to other sports. I Just disagree with the fundamental concept. It doesn't prove anything...It's just different, and that's one of the reasons I like it. That's one of the reasons its special to me. To me, Soccer is Soccer. There isn't anything like it and thats the way i like it.

Third, Easy. Last year the LA Galaxy lost 0-1 at home to the San Jose Earthquakes and won 3-1 in the away leg.

Fourth, I don't write the rules for the MLS playoffs. I couldn't tell you why the play-in round is a one off game. I just don't know. I was angered when they added in the knockout round to begin with. More than half of the teams in the league qualify for the playoffs under the new format. That is absurd to me. But its the rules, and that's what we have to live with. I guess they give those fringe teams a 1-game play-in to prove they belong. For example, Houston and Montreal wouldn't have qualified under the 2010 rules. Houston has done pretty well if I'd say so myself...and they usually do. Been to MLS Cup 4 times in the last 6 seasons (2-2). It's what we got, and I am happy we have a playoff system and not just a league table. It's one of the things I enjoy about MLS vs other leagues in the world.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
knownone":3cfwdn55 said:
When you dominate a team and lose 2-1 it's a major disappointment. I'm not doubting the team or saying the series is over, I'm disappointed because we should have won the game.

In most leagues losing 2-1 at home is a death sentence.

My response to that: Its soccer. It happens. Teams dominate and lose all the time, all over the world. Just happened to us in the playoffs, and that sucks. But it is what it is, and we have a chance to right that wrong on Thursday night.