Sounders Season Thread - Sigi is STAYING

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Smurf":2n5wskr4 said:
That they did....and it was awesome.
Awesome? No, it wasn't. Getting a result solely because of referee error isn't awesome, it's weak. I want a team that earns their points on the field. Luckily Keane scored later to give L.A. the result they deserved.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1se02gsk said:
Smurf":1se02gsk said:
That they did....and it was awesome.
Awesome? No, it wasn't. Getting a result solely because of referee error isn't awesome, it's weak. I want a team that earns their points on the field. Luckily Keane scored later to give L.A. the result they deserved.

agreed...

the losing streak may be over, but there is not confidence gained from that game, no momentum to be taken going into the playoffs.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
After seeing LA get call after call and benefiting from ref error I have no problem being on the other end of that.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It's the way you finish....unfortunately the Sounders didn't get that memo. Because as of recent they are finishing quite horribly. This team has no chemistry, they can't score if Johnson isn't there and even if he is they can't score much, they don't play good defense, probably the most disappointing team in MLS. All the stars but still nothing to show for it. Bad effort, coaching, etc all the way around this year (thus far).

Portland has less talent than the Sounders yet they are a much better team (at least this year). They got rid of their best player, Kenny Cooper, and they got better. Sounders keep signing and trading for these names Martins, Dempsey, Johnson, Moffatt, and then get worse. Seems like the M's curse has hit the Sounders too.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
hawkfan68":p5jlcd2f said:
It's the way you finish....unfortunately the Sounders didn't get that memo. Because as of recent they are finishing quite horribly. This team has no chemistry, they can't score if Johnson isn't there and even if he is they can't score much, they don't play good defense, probably the most disappointing team in MLS. All the stars but still nothing to show for it. Bad effort, coaching, etc all the way around this year (thus far).

Portland has less talent than the Sounders yet they are a much better team (at least this year). They got rid of their best player, Kenny Cooper, and they got better. Sounders keep signing and trading for these names Martins, Dempsey, Johnson, Moffatt, and then get worse. Seems like the M's curse has hit the Sounders too.

its coaching...

Caleb Porter is one of the best young coaches in the United States.. hell he might be THE best.

i would agree that the Sounders have become one of the most disappointing teams in MLS. The playoffs will be telling. If they can make a run, even to the second round, then you could suggest they just hit a rough patch at a bad time. My thought is they started the season the same way they are finishing it. There is quality there and theyve showed they can dominate the league. if they are able to pull the strings and emerge as they team from 2 months ago then anything is possible.

at the moment they are lucky to be even in the playoffs. there are half a dozen teams who are better at the moment whose season has ended. I guess we will see...

Smurf, can you go over the playoff matchups and format again?

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uncle Si":20b5wjqk said:
Smurf, can you go over the playoff matchups and format again?
I'm not Smurf, but by virtue of finishing 4th in the Western Conference, Seattle will host Colorado in a play-in game on 10/30. The winner of that match will host Portland on 11/2 in the conference semifinals, then play @ Portland in the second leg of the conference semi-finals at a date to be determined later. L.A. and Real Salt Lake will face off in the other semi-final in the West.

In the East, Houston hosts Montreal in the play-in game, with the winner getting Supporters Shield winners New York. Kansas City & New England play in the second East semi-final.

The conference semis & finals are both home & home matchups with total goals determining the winner. The MLS Cup is a winner-take-all final hosted by the team with the higher seed.

The MLS Cup schedule can be found here: http://www.mlssoccer.com/mlscup/2013/schedule

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Absolutely,

We play Colorado on Wednesday night in a 1-off play-in game. No away game. Strait up, win and we move on. Lose and we are done. Had we have won over LA we wouldn't even be playing in this game (Bye), and a draw secured us homefield for this match.

In the east Houston will be playing Montreal in Houston. Like us, Montreal was hot in the middle of the year and fell into the playoff's much like we did.

Both of the play-in games will be shown Nationally on NBCSN as well as on local and regional channels (Kong and Root for Sounder fans)

The winner of Colorado/Seattle will play Portland.

The winner of Houston/Montreal will play New York.

The Conference Semi-Finals (aka MLS Cup Quarter Finals, or the last 8) are next. Higher seed, gets home field (means they host second game). Total Aggregate scoring. No Away goals. Don't even think about it. Its strait up Aggregate and the winner moves on. If the teams are tied after both legs, the 2nd game will go into extra time, and then Penalties.

Portland vs Seattle/Colorado - First leg of this game will be played on Saturday at 7:30pm (At the Clink if Sounders win) -Will air on NBCSN
LA vs RSL - First leg played in Salt Lake, game on Sunday at 6pm - Will air on ESPN

New York vs Houston/Montreal - First leg played on Sunday at 12:30pm. Will air on on NBC
Sporting KC vs New England - First leg played in KC on Saturday at 5pm. - Will air on NBCSN

Portland holds the high seed in the west.
New York in the east, and overall.

MLS Cup will be played at higher seeds home ground.

Seeds:
1. New York
2. Sporting KC
3. Portland
4. RSL
5. LA
6. Seattle
7. New England
8. Houston
9. Colorado
10. Montreal.

Questions?

knownone

Reaction score
injuries and call ups are why Seattle isn't playing well as a team, not the coaching or the transfers.

This one of the few sports where chemistry is everything, how do you develop chemistry when you've started different line ups every game but one?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
knownone":3iqcvxnu said:
injuries and call ups are why Seattle isn't playing well as a team, not the coaching or the transfers.

This one of the few sports where chemistry is everything, how do you develop chemistry when you've started different line ups every game but one?

sure....

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3ti5drak said:
knownone":3ti5drak said:

sure....

33 lineups in 34 games.

Just saying...

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":9o15vsca said:
Uncle Si":9o15vsca said:
knownone":9o15vsca said:

sure....

33 lineups in 34 games.

Just saying...

just excusing....

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
not an excuse, its just an interesting fact.

I didn't mean to imply its the reason why our form went to hell. clearly it wasn't a problem until the 28th game of the season.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":385yt5ob said:

I didn't mean to imply its the reason why our form went to hell. clearly it wasn't a problem until the 28th game of the season.

i'm just being petulant

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2i1eszss said:
Smurf":2i1eszss said:

i'm just being petulant

As usual. :p

knownone

Reaction score
I'm not saying that chemistry is the only problem, our back line is awful against speedy forwards and they've been together all year. It does however explain the lack of goals from the most talented attacking team in MLS.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Even if they were healthy, Sigi would find a way to screw up the lineup. Some of his decisions with the lineup are befuddling. For one, he plays Andy Rose too much. He pulls out Johnson and puts in Rosales. Just mindboggling at times. I think Smurf posted the ideal lineup a while back, unfortunately with Sigi that would never be. He's find a way to insert a less than ideal one.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
So curious what some of you who know the league more then I do think will happen in the playoffs. I watch most Timber games but don't pay much attention to the league in general.

Don't know if its true or not but I kind of get the impression that Portland was a great story in the regular season but might not be a real threat to actually win it all?

Since most of you are Sounders fans, let me ask this way: If its not the Sounders, who do you think will come out of the west?

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
LA probably but Portland are pretty good this year. LA always seem to do just enough to get to the play offs then excel. Same with Houston in the East. The Sounders will choke as per. Maybe not tomorrow but at the weekend if they win.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
hawkfan68":vwd8boct said:
Even if they were healthy, Sigi would find a way to screw up the lineup. Some of his decisions with the lineup are befuddling. For one, he plays Andy Rose too much. He pulls out Johnson and puts in Rosales. Just mindboggling at times. I think Smurf posted the ideal lineup a while back, unfortunately with Sigi that would never be. He's find a way to insert a less than ideal one.

Not that mind boggling at all.

Andy Rose does one thing very well. He keeps the ball. Sigi uses him when he wants more possession in the midfield and doesn't have a problem kicking the ball around. Sure, you sacrifice a WHOLE bunch of speed and creativity, but you keep the ball. Primary he would play Rose over Carrasco who was more of a defender. Carrasco was a mini-Alonso who wan't half the player Ozzie is. He was better at hitting long balls than ozzie, but thats about it. Rose was favored because he was different. He's a role player for sure, but his place on the squad is warrented.

As for the Johnson substitution you referred too there was a perfect reason for the change, and it was probably one of the smarter subs Sigi has ever made.

1. Rosales didn't start to rest him for the playoffs.
2. Johnson tweaked his hamstring a few minutes prior to the sub (thats legit too, I saw him pull up slow after a long run from my view in the Brougham End)
3. Sigi pulled off a minorly injured Johnson, and put his next best attacker on the pitch.
4. He saved EJ from further injury and he got his next best player on the pitch.

What I Don't agree with was the Andy Rose for Lamar Neagle Substitution. If you want Rose on the pitch, take off Moffat or Evans....at that point we were playing a slew of center mids out of position..

Evans, Alonso, Rose, Moffat....all on the pitch at the same time. The only one of them that has ANY business on the outside of the pitch is Evans. He's proved that much this year. The other 3 though...thats rough. Its no wonder the attack went to crap after that attack, we had no wingers.

That has been the story of the season IMO...inconsistent wing play.

Evans has been servicable...when he's here
Neagle is better at forward...strait up. His quality, and production drop off dramatically when played outside.
Burch was forced into duty at left mid...and was out best left mid for a large stretch. That big winning streak we went on? Its partially due to Burch at LM with Gonzales behind him.
Rosales was Rosales. Healthier than normal this season, but his minutes fell from a 80 minute player to a 55-60 minute player. His production and quality were decent. Less effective without EJ.
Zakuani was ravaged by injury....again. I think he had 3 appearances before being shut down for the year.
Martinez couldn't touch the field....when we needed him most he was with his national team...and couldn't earn a spot once he got back....then his contract expired and the club set sights deuce.

Rose, Caskey, Moffat have all been deployed on the wings at verying stages to moderate success. Caskey was a player who has gotten far less time than I would have thought. While he isn't a top 11 player at this club (and never will be), he is a solid 18 guy and should have gotten some time....more than he did.

That was our weakness right there. Out attack floundered, even with EJ, Oba, and Dempsey because we couldn't get consistency from the flanks.

IMO Sigi's tactical choices since Dempsey's arrival have been less than ideal, yet again, his player pool has been diminished as well..

I guess what i'm trying to say is...I get the Sigi hate. I do. I see what you see. I just see it differently. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. He's had some hard choices to make. Some he's made right. Some he's missed. Some he's made right, and then his players didn't deliver. Its football.

As infuriating as a coach as he is, there's very few that we could get I'd rather have. Very few.