Sounders Season Thread - Sigi is STAYING

Uncle Si

Reaction score
the recent demise of the Sounders (not just in the w-l column but just in the overall play) has completely taken away any interest in the playoffs i have. only a matchup with the Timbers would encourage a watch

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't follow the MLS close enough to know for certain. If the Sounders finish 4 or 5 in the West, that means they have to play in a play-in game, correct?

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Correct.

If we beat LA we jump them in the standings and will finish 3rd, getting a first round bye.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
oh hey, its EJ being EJ at the worst possible time...

....great...

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3k0td8ph said:
I am just so ready for this season to be over so the rebuilding can begin.

....what rebuilding???

are you on crack?

knownone

Reaction score
Smurf":309x0qgg said:
SeatownJay":309x0qgg said:
I am just so ready for this season to be over so the rebuilding can begin.

....what rebuilding???

are you on crack?
Do we keep Eddie? Mauro? Who is our next DP?
A rebuild is coming.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Mauro will be back as a non DP, most likely. He said he wants to play two more years here, and I think he knows he wont get DP money to stay.

Ozzie will be our next DP, you can almost count on it. Dude is good enough to warrant it. L.A. did it with Omar Gonzalez earlier this year.

If Eddie Says then thats great. We have 3 legit goal scorers on our squad. We have a good rotation.

If he goes, great, we can play dempsey in behind Oba and utilize more midfield oriented formations (4-3-3/4-5-1/4-2-3-1). Sure that'll mean we have to bring in another 2nd tier striker (A neagle, or Fucito type).

Team isn't rebuilding. Not really. A few pieces of the puzzle will change, but not enough to create a new puzzle.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2amw6k57 said:
The new coach will want to rebuild this roster, Smurf.

There won't be a new coach.

Management said they won't be making any emotional decisions about Sigi's future. The last 6 games of the season doesn't hold the key to his future. He's a solid coach who has taken an expansion team to the playoffs 5 strait years.

I think everyone is over blowing the whole Sigi out thing.

Even if Sigi goes you're not going to see that much roster turn-over. You're probably less likely to see guys like Estrada, Rose, Caskey...but thats about it.

Eddie and Mauro are two that could be gone...could stay. I think the rest of the core will remains. Gspurning, Yedlin, Hurtado, Traore, Ianni, Burch, Ozzie, Evans, Neagle, Oba, and Dempsey. I don't think those guys are going anywhere....

SeatownJay

Reaction score
If management is fine with the Sounders being the Arsenal of the MLS, making the playoffs but not winning anything, then Sigi will probably stay. But if they're serious about bringing championships to Seattle then they have to consider replacing him.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Not saying they won't consider it. I just don't think they will do it.

In the event they do leave, there are only two names that come to mind that I would want to coach this team.

Brian Schmetzer and RSL's Jason Kries.

knownone

Reaction score
Smurf":2oy23mh1 said:
Mauro will be back as a non DP, most likely. He said he wants to play two more years here, and I think he knows he wont get DP money to stay.

Ozzie will be our next DP, you can almost count on it. Dude is good enough to warrant it. L.A. did it with Omar Gonzalez earlier this year.

If Eddie Says then thats great. We have 3 legit goal scorers on our squad. We have a good rotation.

If he goes, great, we can play dempsey in behind Oba and utilize more midfield oriented formations (4-3-3/4-5-1/4-2-3-1). Sure that'll mean we have to bring in another 2nd tier striker (A neagle, or Fucito type).

Team isn't rebuilding. Not really. A few pieces of the puzzle will change, but not enough to create a new puzzle.
There is a good chance we replace at least 4 players from our ideal 11, I'd consider that a rebuild.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Ideal 11:

--------Gspurning

Yedlin - Traore - Hurtado - Burch

Rosales - Alonso - Evans

-------Dempsey----------

------Oba----EJ-------

I see us losing MAYBE 2 of those players...hardly a rebuild.