Teams 0-6 after playing Seahawks

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
ivotuk":2fh5hqdm said:
Scottemojo":2fh5hqdm said:
I personally think it is a big fat coincidence.

Last year teams were 11-3 the week after playing the Hawks. They were physical as well, correct?

Not really, this Dline is night and day better than the one we had last year. There have been quite a few injuries on opposing teams and this year they are playing hard to beat a "Superbowl contender." Last year we surprised people, this year they're coming loaded for bear.

Yeah, I'll agree with this... its not the same.

Wilson is using his legs more which tires out defenses.

Lynch has to tap into Beast Mode powers more frequently without Michael Robinson.

While our pass rush sucks are run-blocking when its on is still powerful. Sweezy and Carpenter are road graders and dump trucks compared to McQuistan and Moffitt.

The Seahawks D is much more aggressive, especially on the D-Line, where Bryant is healthy, and the Seahawk have a deep rotation that keeps everyone fresh.

Most teams if they had a choice wouldn't play Seahawks brand of football. It forces you to be more physical than them and if that isn't in you're makeup, you aren't going to compete in all 4 QTRs.

The only team that beat us this year, the Colts, I felt like the officiating took the Legion of Boom out of their element... flag after flag. Not only that but Indy's WRs were playing cheap but smart... after flags forced Seattle to take it down a notch, Indy's WRs themselves became overly aggressive, instigate contact, and then dramatically flop on occasion getting the flags.

So the team that beat Seattle didn't beat them at their own game, they just outsmarted them but that is a rare occasion. To beat Seattle you have to be more physical and more explosive than them. And that style of play is taxing.

With that said Ill agree its half Seahawks style of play and half coincidence of scheduling.

Polaris

Reaction score
I'll also point out that even in the case of the Colts, while they did win* against Seattle, they still lost the following week against San Diego (a team that isn't nearly as good) and looked bad (and tired) in that loss.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1xka0f7x said:

Last year teams were 11-3 the week after playing the Hawks. They were physical as well, correct?

Boring take. I like the other story better.

Polaris

Reaction score
JesterHawk":1chzt936 said:
Scottemojo":1chzt936 said:

Let's take a closer look at last year. Last year the 'hawks started the season 4-4 and played @Ari (L), Dal(W), GB (W), @SL (L), @Car (W), NE (W), @SF (L), @Det (L)

The following week (after us), Ari won, Dal won, GB won, SL won, Car BYE, NE won, SF won, and Det won.

So for the first half of last year when we were still essentially a 0.500 club trying to figure things out, all the opponents we faced, either won the next week or had a bye.

Now let's look at the second half of the year. The second half of the year we went 7-1 including starting to get wins on the road. This team in the second half has a far stronger resemblance to the team the 'hawks have become this year. Let's look at the pattern now. Seattle in part 2 of 2012 played:

Min (W), NYJ (W), -BYE-, @Mia (L), @Chi (W), Ari (W), @Buf (W), SF (W), SL (W)

Now let's look at how they did the week after:

Min wins, NJY wins, Miami loses, Chi loses, Ari wins, Buf loses, SF wins, SL (end of season, n/a)

So in the second half of the season, teams go 4-3 after playing us. That's still nowhere near to what we've seen this season, but I believe the trend is clear. Seattle during the 2012 season was morphing into the brutal, and bruising team we see today, and that transformation apparently has continued though the off season into this season.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I think teams are throwing everything they have at us as well. The Seahawks were the consensus co-favorite in the conference and a trendy Super Bowl pick for many many experts. Don't think teams like the Titans, Colts, Jaguars, etc don't know this and circle their calendars hoping to knock us off.

You mix that with the sheer physicality this team brings on both sides of the ball, and yeah.. teams are pretty spent afterwards.

dunceface

Reaction score
Polaris":1bvsv5a0 said:
JesterHawk":1bvsv5a0 said:
Scottemojo":1bvsv5a0 said:

Let's take a closer look at last year. Last year the 'hawks started the season 4-4 and played @Ari (L), Dal(W), GB (W), @SL (L), @Car (W), NE (W), @SF (L), @Det (L)

The following week (after us), Ari won, Dal won, GB won, SL won, Car BYE, NE won, SF won, and Det won.

So for the first half of last year when we were still essentially a 0.500 club trying to figure things out, all the opponents we faced, either won the next week or had a bye.

Now let's look at the second half of the year. The second half of the year we went 7-1 including starting to get wins on the road. This team in the second half has a far stronger resemblance to the team the 'hawks have become this year. Let's look at the pattern now. Seattle in part 2 of 2012 played:

Min (W), NYJ (W), -BYE-, @Mia (L), @Chi (W), Ari (W), @Buf (W), SF (W), SL (W)

Now let's look at how they did the week after:

Min wins, NJY wins, Miami loses, Chi loses, Ari wins, Buf loses, SF wins, SL (end of season, n/a)

So in the second half of the season, teams go 4-3 after playing us. That's still nowhere near to what we've seen this season, but I believe the trend is clear. Seattle during the 2012 season was morphing into the brutal, and bruising team we see today, and that transformation apparently has continued though the off season into this season.

I like this non-boring take better :th2thumbs:

Boiler

Reaction score
Coincidence or not, it's an interesting stat. I've heard several media types mention it over the past few weeks.

A stat that I'm even more interested in, of course, is that teams are 1 and 6 WHEN playing the Seahawks.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
From nfl.com's "Mind Blowing Stats" we get "The Seattle Effect"

"Seahawks opponents are 0-6 the week after facing Seattle this season. The Seahawks' first six opponents – Panthers, 49ers, Jaguars, Texans, Colts and Titans -- were outscored 172-62 in their next games after playing Seattle. The Seahawks' latest victims -- the Cardinals -- play host to the Falcons on Sunday."

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap2...-stats-for-week-8-of-the-2013-season#photo=10

Jeremy517

Reaction score
Even if it is something other than a coincidence, it probably won't matter as much this week, since Arizona has three extra days off.