Danny O'Neil claims Coleman "beat out" Mike Rob

Smellyman

Reaction score
Danny, good writer, funny, good insight and Brock, Danny and Tom have a great time working with each other.

Some poeple in this thread need to be better in life

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I wasn't that high on Coleman from the beginning, even after Week 1 when people seemed to be sold on him as the long-term answer. I'm pretty sure I said as much multiple times, but I won't go out of my way to prove it.

The truth, however, is in the numbers. We were using Mike Rob on approximately 30% of the snaps last season. Coleman's usage has dropped to around 10-20% over the last few weeks. We're using him about as much as we're using Kellen Davis right now. Marshawn's YPC is also down around 4.1; it was 5.0 last season. Admittedly, his 2012 numbers got a boost in the last quarter of 2012 when we were devastating teams with the read-option that no one seemed prepared for.

With all that said, I don't necessarily expect our run game to explode just because Mike Rob is back. I wish he had been healthy at the start of the season, so he'd be on the same page with everyone in terms of scheme and conditioning. Right now, I'm mostly expecting things to stay fairly level on that front (no appreciable drop-off or gain from Coleman-to-MRob). It's definitely good that we have him, though. I'm one who believes the I-formation is an important part of the overall offense even if the gains from those plays seem relatively minimal. The impact of those plays shows up at the end of the game.

kearly

Reaction score
I look at it this way CANHawk, if you had a great OL but just 1 very important player goes down and is replaced by someone who is a disaster, the whole OL suddenly looks much worse as a result. Even though it's just one guy!

Similarly, the running game is built off of five plus blockers all executing their assignments, and if just one guy screws up, the play probably goes nowhere. Coleman screwed up often, and it ruined a ton of plays where there was good run blocking otherwise. He's just one guy, but he was sabotaging our run game out of certain formations the way that Tom Ashworth used to sabotage our pass protection.

In other words, this isn't about celebration a "Paul Bunyan" type acquisition. It's about finding a solution to a nagging problem that had been one of thing bigger things to hold our offense back early in the season.

kearly

Reaction score
Smellyman":eg9h1wb5 said:
Danny, good writer, funny, good insight and Brock, Danny and Tom have a great time working with each other.

Ironically, I read this comment in my head using Skip Bailess voice.

Tom Wassel is great. Funny, insightful, and IMO the sharpest mind of the three. Wouldn't mind one bit it becomes the Brock and Tom show down the road.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
@agentDib. break down the YPC from the plays where Coleman was on the field, not the overall YPC. Also, take Russell's yards and run attempts out of theat number, and you won't feel near as good.

I get the feeling that Rob is here for this year, but it will be Ware and Coleman next year, with Coleman being the backup plan for Rob if he gets hurt this year.

I love the Robinson move. I can't think of one on field negative, and he was money down the stretch and in the playoffs last year. It feels like one of those moves that might pay off big in a single post season moment where he does something a younger player wouldn't even consider.

I also thought it noteworthy that Clemons, before he had even signed, addressed him as captain. He has the respect of his team, not just Marshawn. Everything about this feels right.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":27v2btw0 said:
Smellyman":27v2btw0 said:

Ironically, I read this comment in my head using Skip Bailess voice.

Tom Wassel is great. Funny, insightful, and IMO the sharpest mind of the three. Wouldn't mind one bit it becomes the Brock and Tom show down the road.
BORING! BORING! BORING!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
You could argue that Mike Robinson isn't a world-beater, if you wanted. But teams with Super Bowl aspirations aren't looking for a world-beater; they're just looking for the tiny extra inch or that one crucial play that pushes them over the top. Robinson is the kind of contributor who could provide that.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":hp4saux0 said:
BORING! BORING! BORING!

Hey, I never said he was perfect. I'd still take his mannerisms over Danny's any day.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":29cjgxma said:
Scottemojo":29cjgxma said:
BORING! BORING! BORING!

Hey, I never said he was perfect. I'd still take his mannerisms over Danny's any day.

I actually laugh every time I hear them play that "boring" sound clip. I think it's pretty funny. I may start using it on here.

Axx

Reaction score
Danny you S**t head, show me anytime this season when coleman was able to do this. It's usually the other way aruond.

[youtube]CGZp6xP_59o[/youtube]

thebanjodude

Reaction score
I've actually had the same thought, I'd rather listen to Wassell than Danny O'Neill. O'Neill would be much better if he would ditch the stupid fake laugh, though.