2013-14 EPL Season

Uncle Si

Reaction score
"Confirmed rupture in the rectum in training yesterday, about five weeks of feeling low."

Iago Aspas, Liverpool FC (tweeted today)

and.... GO!

(edit: its ok everyone, Aspas rectum is fine. apparently he mistyped "rectoris"; ie: thigh. i mean he's still out 5 weeks, but i think we all feel better for him)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ybqb812 said:
"Confirmed rupture in the rectum in training yesterday, about five weeks of feeling low."

Iago Aspas, Liverpool FC (tweeted today)

and.... GO!

(edit: its ok everyone, Aspas rectum is fine. apparently he mistyped "rectoris"; ie: thigh. i mean he's still out 5 weeks, but i think we all feel better for him)

Coutinho back for the Newcastle game... will be interesting if he starts and how we line up (stay with the 352 or back to a 433 so moses can stay on the field).

regardless of Aspas, this team STILL need a winger in the Jan window

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Scale of 1-10, how pathetic was the Norwich defense in that goal by Wilshere? 4 guys surrounded him and he waltzed through to get on the end of an amazing pass by Giroud.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
well Gate... we should know very soon what Arsenal really are. nothing to take away from Arsenal in dismantling Norwich (outside some poor defending again). But that looked like a training session. Norwich was very poor defensively, no pressure on the ball, massive gaps in their lanes and a complete lack of tackling and marking. Still, Arsenal had to score. Newcastle werent any better than the Canaries and Liverpool failed to take advantage of it.

Both Liverpool and Arsenal have benefitted from a "light" start to the season (both have played one of the top teams, although Southampton could/should count in that for Liverpool). Now Arsenal will hit a meaty (to say the least) portion of the schedule. How they come out on the other end could say alot of what they accomplish
Next 7 fixtures:

Arsenal v Borussia Dortmund Tue 22 Oct 19:45
Crystal Palace v Arsenal Sat 26 Oct 12:45
Arsenal v Chelsea Tue 29 Oct 19:45
Arsenal v Liverpool Sat 2 Nov 17:30
Borussia Dortmund v Arsenal Wed 6 Nov 19:45
Man Utd v Arsenal Sun 10 Nov 16:10
Arsenal v Southampton Sat 23 Nov 15:00

Liverpool meanwhile have an odd set of fixtures coming. Nothing like the run Arsenal must go on. But, Liverpool will play Arsenal, Everton, City, Chelsea and Spurs away before New Years (we have plenty of lesser fixtures mixed in). Those fixtures last year netted a total 4 points. will need more than that this time around to stay around 4th.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Really strong bounce back from Arsenal today. Stormed out of the 2nd half gates and looked strong going forward for the most part in the half. Crystal Palace looked a lot better going forward from the 65th minute on, due to Arsenal going down to 10 men thanks to a somewhat questionable decision by Foy after a foul by Arteta. Szczesny made two amazing saves, one of which is easily a candidate for save of the week, due to it denying a potential goal of the week candidate, really showing his ability to be one of the best keepers in the Premier. And Palace came close a number of times before they got caught on the break with a very nice header by Ollie G.

About that red card on Arteta. We all know it was given because Arteta was the "last man", but when the contact occurs 40-50 yards from goal and the player in possession of the ball is clearly not the fastest guy on the pitch, should it really count as a last man rule? I know you guys will say it's a red card, but I find it kinda funny how Arteta was sent off for a last man foul 50 yards from the goal.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":3ulq7kqn said:
Suarez. Name a better player in England, ill wait.

great performance for the Reds today. Suarez was unplayable and the partnership with Sturridge and soon coutinho is beginning to really take form.

Gate... Its a red. Unfortunate maybe but think of all the teams who play high lines..

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":13led9f9 said:
Gate, shut up. It's a red every time, doesn't matter how far from goal you are or how fast the attacking player is.

Anyway, Suarez and Sturridge are unstoppable right now. Coutinho back next week for the Arse-nal match, he'll add another new dimension. HUGE match next week, could really make a statement with a result at the Emirates. Could go either way, really, they are the two best teams in England at the minute, the league standings are an accurate reflection of that.

Jammie bastards United again today, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. Still, United are streets behind everyone else this year, will be lucky to finish in the top 6.

I mean he did say a rather tepid performance to Crystal Palace was a "nice bounce back"...

Arsenal got three point. Outside of that not very convincing. Felt like they needed to answer questions but failed to do so.

I'm sure the wee will be different. Interested to see what their midweek lineup will be.

Gate, with Liverpool on the horizon what would you as a supporter prefer for the league cup tie? Full squad or reserves mixed in?

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":32se8agm said:
peachesenregalia":32se8agm said:
Gate, shut up. It's a red every time, doesn't matter how far from goal you are or how fast the attacking player is.

Anyway, Suarez and Sturridge are unstoppable right now. Coutinho back next week for the Arse-nal match, he'll add another new dimension. HUGE match next week, could really make a statement with a result at the Emirates. Could go either way, really, they are the two best teams in England at the minute, the league standings are an accurate reflection of that.

Jammie bastards United again today, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. Still, United are streets behind everyone else this year, will be lucky to finish in the top 6.

I mean he did say a rather tepid performance to Crystal Palace was a "nice bounce back"...

Arsenal got three point. Outside of that not very convincing. Felt like they needed to answer questions but failed to do so.

I'm sure the wee will be different. Interested to see what their midweek lineup will be.

Gate, with Liverpool on the horizon what would you as a supporter prefer for the league cup tie? Full squad or reserves mixed in?

Let's be honest here, Palace is probably the most unlucky side in the EPL right now, they're really tough to play at Selhurst Park, mostly cause of those fans of theirs, and they come at you. Everyone thought this'd be a massacre, but they really hung with Arsenal for a long time. And you gotta give credit to the Gunners to, when Arteta was sent off(I'm still a bit baffled at that decision and so is Wenger), Arsenal could have sat back and defended for 25 minutes, but no they went at Crystal Palace and eventually got a 2nd thanks to a decent cross by Ramsey to Giroud. I like this new mindset Arsenal seem to have, like before if they were in that situation, everyone but Giroud would be back defending, now, they get the ball, they go forward and they try to get another goal.

As for Tuesday, I'd rather see a mix. Not like the match against West Brom where it was mostly young guns, I'm hoping some mostly experienced players get somewhat of a decent amount of playing time. I can't really see Mourinho putting out a really strong team, especially with the fact that they play Man City just two days prior, I think that plays into Arsenal's favor a bit, so probably a mixture of experience and youth will do just fine for me.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":vktrmabl said:
Decent response, Gate. I watched the Aeteta foul again last night, and I just have to think that's gonna be a red card 9 times out of 10. Chamakh has position and a clear path to the goal, Arteta literally pulls him down in desperation. It's a red card per the rulebook. Might appear harsh, but the ref followed the rulebook in this situation. Arteta needs to shut up and get on with it.

Under what the rule says, yes it was a last man challenge, but it was in a position where some people are gonna question whether it's truly last man or not. Arteta's even under the same impression that I was(same with Wenger), even adding that he believes there was just as much contact from Chamakh on him as he had on Chamakh.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":97oh9wgg said:
peachesenregalia":97oh9wgg said:
Decent response, Gate. I watched the Aeteta foul again last night, and I just have to think that's gonna be a red card 9 times out of 10. Chamakh has position and a clear path to the goal, Arteta literally pulls him down in desperation. It's a red card per the rulebook. Might appear harsh, but the ref followed the rulebook in this situation. Arteta needs to shut up and get on with it.

Under what the rule says, yes it was a last man challenge, but it was in a position where some people are gonna question whether it's truly last man or not. Arteta's even under the same impression that I was(same with Wenger), even adding that he believes there was just as much contact from Chamakh on him as he had on Chamakh.

Shocking that the player who got the red card, his coach , and a fan of the team have issues with the card. I wonder what Palace fans think?

Give it a rest Gate. Wenger whines about every call against Arsenal to point of almost ridiculous hypocrisy.

As a former college back... Its a red card. Your taught not to be caught flat their. Sometimes it happens. It happened to Arteta. I don't what else to say. You keep arguing the call (as you do most calls that go against Arsenal) and we keep saying its a red. Change the record or take your case to the Arsenal fan board for support

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":slzlbzno said:
Shocking that the player who got the red card, his coach , and a fan of the team have issues with the card. I wonder what Palace fans think?

Give it a rest Gate. Wenger whines about every call against Arsenal to point of almost ridiculous hypocrisy.

As a former college back... Its a red card. Your taught not to be caught flat their. Sometimes it happens. It happened to Arteta. I don't what else to say. You keep arguing the call (as you do most calls that go against Arsenal) and we keep saying its a red. Change the record or take your case to the Arsenal fan board for support

Okay, you better explain to me where the hell I said it wasn't a red card. I never said it wasn't, all I was saying was that it's funny how where that foul occurred counts as a last man challenge. I'm not disputing the decision, I'm not arguing the decision, I'm not calling BS on it either.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":g43gzblm said:
Uncle Si":g43gzblm said:

Okay, you better explain to me where the hell I said it wasn't a red card. I never said it wasn't, all I was saying was that it's funny how where that foul occurred counts as a last man challenge. I'm not disputing the decision, I'm not arguing the decision, I'm not calling BS on it either.

your have three posts questioning the call Gate... so "when the hell" is literally just up the thread. is that sufficient? Maybe you've convinced yourself that passive aggressive complaining isnt the same thing as whining or arguing...

I really dont even understand where the dispute it is... he's the last man, its piss poor tactical defending from Arsenal (on their own effing set piece no less). Arteta clatters into him. Whetehr Chamakh takes the angle or not doesnt mean Arteta can bring him down...

And honestly gate are you so naive or ridiculously hypocritical of Arsenal to not understand the last defender rule... hell your squad was hit by a similar counter against Villa in the first game of the season,. Everton hit you last year. Being the last defender anywhere on the field means you're stopping a goal scoring opportunity. its not that debatable.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Are you guys in America forced to endure the English commentators? Good God are they awful. Last night, in the Spurs v Hull cup game, we were forced to endure something I didn't think was possible: a match commentary worse than anything uttered even by Mark Lawrenson or Andy Grey. I'm not sure if he's a troll or just someone whose understsnding of the game derives entirely from reading the sports pages of the Sun, but I've never heard someone be so viciously critical when the criticism was completely unwarranted as Jon Champion was last night. He laid into Lamela all game long, despite the fact thst Lamela clearly played a good game. It's not his fault that he was playing the ball to Defoe rather than Totti. He had a great passing game and created space in a way that Lennon couldn't against the same team on Sunday. Sure, I'd like to see him shoot more but I'm sure that will come when he becomes more comfortable in the system.

Champion slagged off the crowd and the atmosphere all game long.... and the atmosphere sounded great. Lots of songs and loud encouragement. He made a point of highlighting the crowd's boos.... when they were clearly showing affection for Kabooooooooul!

I found a different stream in Portuguese and happily watched extra time in blissful ignorance. When I play sports game on the playstation the first thing I do is turn off the commentary. I genuinely wish television networks would give us that option.

I know that there are plenty of intelligent, insightful and articulate sports fans out there. Why do they force us to endure the complete opposite?

I know that, as with many stereotypes, there is a sizeable minority who definitely make the term 'whingeing Pom' justified, but it is a minority. I wish the football media wasn't so overwhelmingly negative.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawkspur":26d88g4g said:
Are you guys in America forced to endure the English commentators? Good God are they awful. Last night, in the Spurs v Hull cup game, we were forced to endure something I didn't think was possible: a match commentary worse than anything uttered even by Mark Lawrenson or Andy Grey. I'm not sure if he's a troll or just someone whose understsnding of the game derives entirely from reading the sports pages of the Sun, but I've never heard someone be so viciously critical when the criticism was completely unwarranted as Jon Champion was last night. He laid into Lamela all game long, despite the fact thst Lamela clearly played a good game. It's not his fault that he was playing the ball to Defoe rather than Totti. He had a great passing game and created space in a way that Lennon couldn't against the same team on Sunday. Sure, I'd like to see him shoot more but I'm sure that will come when he becomes more comfortable in the system.

Champion slagged off the crowd and the atmosphere all game long.... and the atmosphere sounded great. Lots of songs and loud encouragement. He made a point of highlighting the crowd's boos.... when they were clearly showing affection for Kabooooooooul!

I found a different stream in Portuguese and happily watched extra time in blissful ignorance. When I play sports game on the playstation the first thing I do is turn off the commentary. I genuinely wish television networks would give us that option.

I know that there are plenty of intelligent, insightful and articulate sports fans out there. Why do they force us to endure the complete opposite?

I know that, as with many stereotypes, there is a sizeable minority who definitely make the term 'whingeing Pom' justified, but it is a minority. I wish the football media wasn't so overwhelmingly negative.

Spur... only the truly good ones know how to discuss a game on its merit without letting hyperbole or wind ups take over the broadcast. Unfortunately their are too many who cant discuss the game as it is, and therefore devolve into immature antics to make themselves sound smarter... the easiest way to sound like you know whats going on is to criticize someone else.

Anyways, when it comes to footy, I stream the games and unless I get the Liverpool broadcasters or the man Sky/BBC crew just turn the sound down. Often i'll match it in another language just to save myself the trouble.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":13c8qqnv said:
your have three posts questioning the call Gate... so "when the hell" is literally just up the thread. is that sufficient? Maybe you've convinced yourself that passive aggressive complaining isnt the same thing as whining or arguing...

I really dont even understand where the dispute it is... he's the last man, its piss poor tactical defending from Arsenal (on their own effing set piece no less). Arteta clatters into him. Whetehr Chamakh takes the angle or not doesnt mean Arteta can bring him down...

And honestly gate are you so naive or ridiculously hypocritical of Arsenal to not understand the last defender rule... hell your squad was hit by a similar counter against Villa in the first game of the season,. Everton hit you last year. Being the last defender anywhere on the field means you're stopping a goal scoring opportunity. its not that debatable.

Maybe I should dumb it down for you. I was never questioning the referee's decision(if I did I could point out that in some replays Chamakh looked to be the instigator of the contact, but that's besides the point), I was questioning the logic in the rule that the ref utilized in his decision. It could've been anyone on the ball, Chamakh, Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez, Ibra, or Lewendowski and it still have a vast majority make the remark that 50 yards from goal is not a clear goal scoring opportunity. It's done, it's over with, Arteta's served his suspension so let's just drop it. Though you probably won't, as no matter what I say, you'll claim I'm being hypocritical, or diluted or stupid. I don't even know why I answer your questions because you'll never just go "you got a point" you'll just act like I don't know shit about what I'm talking about.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2rjxfjr8 said:
Hawkspur":2rjxfjr8 said:

Spur... only the truly good ones know how to discuss a game on its merit without letting hyperbole or wind ups take over the broadcast. Unfortunately their are too many who cant discuss the game as it is, and therefore devolve into immature antics to make themselves sound smarter... the easiest way to sound like you know whats going on is to criticize someone else.

Anyways, when it comes to footy, I stream the games and unless I get the Liverpool broadcasters or the man Sky/BBC crew just turn the sound down. Often i'll match it in another language just to save myself the trouble.

It's depressing, isn't it. I mentioned this one because last night was a clear new low for me, even worse than Lawrenson at the Euros or Murray Mexted commentating on NZ rugby. Champion had obviously read the Sun's storylines from the weekend (toxic atmosphere at the Lane, fans disappointed in Lamela signing, Steve Bruce hard done by) and practiced his lines in the shower before the match. When the opposite happened he barrelled on regardless.

What disappoints me is that there are probably hundreds of thousands of people who could have done a better job than what he did last night and he probably got paid upwards of a grand for his 'effort'. I could have done better, you could have done better, Rob's in the football & microphone business and, given the amount of good work that he puts into player and scheme analysis in American football, I have no doubt that he would have done a whole lot better. I don't know which network last night's game was on, but it was a piss poor effort.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":3skvupcz said:
Uncle Si":3skvupcz said:

Maybe I should dumb it down for you. I was never questioning the referee's decision(if I did I could point out that in some replays Chamakh looked to be the instigator of the contact, but that's besides the point), I was questioning the logic in the rule that the ref utilized in his decision. It could've been anyone on the ball, Chamakh, Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez, Ibra, or Lewendowski and it still have a vast majority make the remark that 50 yards from goal is not a clear goal scoring opportunity. It's done, it's over with, Arteta's served his suspension so let's just drop it. Though you probably won't, as no matter what I say, you'll claim I'm being hypocritical, or diluted or stupid. I don't even know why I answer your questions because you'll never just go "you got a point" you'll just act like I don't know shit about what I'm talking about.

Gate for christsake.....let me dumb it down for you kid...

I'm fairly sure you have an idea of what you're trying to say. but you often come off the other way then get overly defensive when called on it. and as soon as I think to believe it you say "50 yards from goal is not a clear goal scoring opportunity" completey ignoring that a. yes it is 2. your own team gave up a 70 yard breakaway against Villa to open the campaign. the only vast majority in this regards are gunner fans.

when you say "i'm a bit baffled by the decision, as is Wenger" you are more than questioning the logic of the rule. If you cant understand your own passive aggressive whining than i've no hope for you. (like your ridiculous gif of Suarez getting taken down in the box a couple years ago in front of Arsenal goal that despite showing a clear foul you continued to parade on about) So no, you havent made "a point". you brought it up, i responded, you kept on about it. your reputation to question every little thing that goes against Arsenal is a well earned one.

this weekend is too big to continue this drivel. Looks as though Arteta (edit... seems as if he's playing) and Flamini will miss, as well as Coutinho (atleast in a start).

its a great matchup considering the unique strengths that both teams have and how they contrast the other team's weaknesses (Arsenal's Mids v. Liverpool Mids; Liverpool strikers v. Arsenal's D). its rare to see two teams so equally balanced in scoring and points so unequally balanced in strengths and weaknesses.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":k3iu4cum said:
1-3 LFC. Suarez with 2 and a Sahko header from a corner.

That's being highly optimistic. Only Aston Villa has scored multiple goals on Arsenal in the EPL this year, and two of their goals came off penalties. If Liverpool do score, Suarez or Sturridge will likely be the one to do so. I'd say a draw or Arsenal win is the likely outcome. Liverpool have been playing that 3 man back line and with players like Ozil and the in form Ramsey, Liverpool will be playing with fire all game.