Sounders Season Thread - Sigi is STAYING

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: Sounders Season Thread
Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:26 pm
  • SonicHawk wrote:Went to my first Sounders game last night. What's with all the constant chanting?

What, exactly, do you want to know?
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:28 am
  • Perhaps he was expecting a mere, "Let's go Sounders"
    Dren
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:25 pm
  • Sounders today traded midfielder Servando Carrasco and a 2nd round draft choice for midfielder Adam Moffat from Houston.

Moffat is best known as a tough midfielder and his rockets from distance:

Also, the Sounders play tonight vs Real Salt Lake. With a victory the sounders would be at the top of the table.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:15 pm
  • Smurf wrote:Sounders today traded midfielder Servando Carrasco and a 2nd round draft choice for midfielder Adam Moffat from Houston.

Moffat is best known as a tough midfielder and his rockets from distance:

Also, the Sounders play tonight vs Real Salt Lake. With a victory the sounders would be at the top of the table.

Should have kept Carrasco and traded Joseph instead. I hope Sounders checked with Alex Morgan before making that trade :). Good for Servando. Hopefully he gets more chances to play in Houston. Really didn't get much of a chance here.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:18 pm
  • No one would take Joseph from us. He has no trade value.

And this is good for Carrasco and the Sounders. Carrasco will get more playing time for sure. There he will be a fringe 11 guy, here he is a fringe 18 guy.

Moffat on the other hand is a big pick-up for our squad. He'll add a lot to our midfield. We don't have a player like him. Where with Carrasco he plays similarly to Alonso, Joseph and Rose.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:19 pm
  • With seven games left in their season (and at least 1 game in hand on every other team except Montreal), Seattle is now top of the table for the Supporter's Shield.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:31 pm
  • Top of the league and playing well at the right time. Was pretty cool being 2-0 up and being able to bring on Dempsey and Johnson. This could be the year for Seattle with the Sounders and Seahawks. (Mariners don't count as no one cares about them)
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:49 pm
  • TOP OF THE LEAGUE LADS!
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:26 am
  • One of the best games I have been to.
    Skittles - The candy of champions.
    Seahawksfan425
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:10 am
  • Sounders made a statement last night. They scored 2 goals in the first half without Johnson and Dempsey. Plus they scored the goals on arguably the best goalie in MLS - Nick Rimando. Rimando is tough. Looking good heading into the postseason for the Sounders few more games to go but they're now in the catbird seat.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:45 pm
  • Dempsey suffered a hamstring injury in practice this week and didn't even travel with the team to L.A.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:57 pm
  • Sounders manage a 1-1 draw in L.A. Given how they usually perform down there, I'll take it.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:43 pm
  • ill take it.

Supporters Shield magic number is 14 points from 6 games.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:06 pm
  • Well, tonight was disappointing. Looks like Seattle will need 10 points out of their last 4 matches to get the Supporter's Shield. I don't see it happening.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:02 pm
  • Wasn't able to watch the match due to the Huskies game but it looks like it was a good thing I wasn't watching. :shock:
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:51 am
  • What's the deal with Dempsey and Martins? Martins is always injured and now Dempsey. If it's not one thing with this team then its another. Another red card for Zach Scott to boot. Ugly game all around. It looks as though the Sounders never traveled to Colorado.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:49 pm
  • Dempsey has a hamstring injury. Those are hard to shake in soccer. It takes a few days of constant training for it to go away completely and not knot.

As for Martins. He's still dealing with his ankle issue (he gets kicked a lot in his ankles). The fact he played for 60 minutes at LA surprised me. So not having him for Colorado isn't really that worry some to me....and...if your going to lay an egg....doing it in Colorado isn't that bad.

We still have 4 games left to play. 2 of them at home. 2 of them cascadia cup games. There is a lot of pride on the line, and the supporters shield.

EJ and Evans got called up AGAIN to the USMNT and will miss the next two games. Dempsey didn't because of his hamstring....hopefully Dempsey is able to play in AT LEAST one of those games...and open his account.

Speaking of the Nats team....Assuming EJ plays in both nats games he will have made 18 appearances for the USMNT this season...and 20 for the sounders. That is friggin crazy. For this team to be where it is, despite missing part of its fire power is amazing.

10 points from 4 is not impossible.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:57 pm
  • Reports are coming in that Roma from Serie A are interested in acquiring former Sounders FC player from Sporting Lisbon...

...It should be noted that Sounders OWN HIS RIGHTS at this very moment. He is on loan to Sporting with an option to buy...I would assume that will be revisited later on. ...Its possible we could see Montero moving to one of the top 4 leagues in the world.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Sounders get spanked 4-1 at home to Vancouver. Can't help but feel that the US call ups the past few months are starting to bite us. The line up keeps changing every week with either Neagle/Johnson or Martins. The midfield changes with Evans in one minute then not. Gspurning and JHK have also played like crap the past 2 games which is worrying.

Can't help but feel this may in fact be a choke job from the Sounders as per every year under Sigi at this time of year. Starting to think the Sounders are the Peyton Manning of soccer. Do good until the crunch time then blow it.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter

• Start the smurf suicide watch...I may just put myself out of this misery.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• This is just terrible. Incredible how they can go from looking so good to so bad seemingly at the flick of a switch.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• So long Supporters Shield!
    Spounge84
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Sigh, yet another disappointing end to an up & down season.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Disappointing? that was utterly embarrassing. No defensive pressure, no defensive cover. really i cant remember seeing so much lack of defensive integrity, shape or simple tactics at what is supposed to be a high level game. Four relatively easy walk in goals (although the 4th was simply criminal goalkeeping)

Angered I bothered to sit down for it.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• At this point I am not watching the games live. DVR, start about 45 min. behind. Wait until the Sounders are down two goals and fast forward to the conclusion.

Painful.

.....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• So is this the end of Sigi? Things are really looking bad. If they bow out in the first round of the playoffs with a whimper, I think he's done.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• SeatownJay wrote:Sigh, yet another disappointing end to an up & down season.

Disappointing? Yes.

End? No.

Yeah, they've looked horrendous the past 2 games, but they are still in 2nd place in the west, 1 point out of 1st, and still have 3 games to play while RSL only has 2.

No way I'm throwing in the towel on the season now.
    Football Outsiders wrote:The Seahawks have a third-and-long defensive DVOA of -102.1%. Seriously, when Seattle knows you have to pass, you are completely terribly, violently screwed.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• If we get max points from our next 3 we will win the supporters shield, the cascadia cup, and hold home field through the playoffs.

Its possible to still walk into the playoffs as the best team in mls....it is also possible that we continue falling and drop out of the playoff race.

That being said I think we make the playoffs, and will be a relatively high seed.

EJ hurt himself in training for the nats, so he's on his way back. We'll see if he can play in any of the last 3.

Ianni was supposed to start last night but felt tightness in his quad and got scratched. Which is why he only played 45. Leo I believe will be back in time for Sunday.

My 11 for Sunday would be Hahnemann, Yedlin, ianni, Traore, Leo, Rosales, Moffat, Alonso, Burch, Martins, Dempsey.

I could see Gspurning starting, but it'd be tough. 9 goals against in 2 games is hard to look past.

Neagle is clearly out of form and is more of a role player at this point.

Hurtados awesome form dropped so quickly and suddenly it left 9 goals worth of holes in the defense. He's been awful the past two weeks.

Burch has been more of an asset in the offensive third than the defensive. His left foot is the only thing we have coming from that side right now.

Yedlin has got to learn to make better crosses. If his crosses were more accurate we would be destroying teams. His overlap play with Rosales is fantastic. But his end product is shit.

Rose is too inconsistent and slow.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Andy Rose...I don't see how this guy gets playing time. He is awful. Gspurning, what the hell happened to you? The defense looked lost without Zach Scott (last night) and Leo (past couple of games). The sad thing is that they have lost to two middling to bottom of the division teams. Teams they should never lose to at all. One at home. I wish the Sounders were more like the Seahawks at home. They seem to find a way to play just as crappy at home as they do on the road.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• We lost to two playoff teams...it's not like we lost to chivas, dc, or Toronto.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• There's no way this team wins their last three games.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• I disagree.

I think we can win in Portland.

I think we can win in Dallas

And I think we can win at home vs the Galaxy to clinch the shield.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Smurf wrote:I disagree.

I think we can win in Portland.

I think we can win in Dallas

And I think we can win at home vs the Galaxy to clinch the shield.

Not with the defense that I saw against Vancouver. Be an optimist all you want but that was beyond "just one if those games". There was a severe lack of defensive understanding. How does that change..
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• It changed to get to that point, so it can change to return. Nothing is permanent.

We'll see some changes and I think results will follow.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Go Timbers!
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Seattle's on their way to a third straight loss.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• This is getting out of control...

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Give Will Johnson an Oscar
    Spounge84
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• So, should they wait until after the inevitable first round playoff loss to fire Sigi or just get it over with now? His management, or lack thereof, the past month has been inexcusable.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Spounge84 wrote:Give Will Johnson an Oscar

Whether or not he embellished, there's no excuse for Ozzie to swing his elbow at someone's jaw. And this isn't new. He's constantly doing stuff like this. As talented as he is, he's a hothead and Sigi's done nothing to try and keep him under control.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Sounders lacked a bit of class being in the refs face. It was a straight red regardless. So fed up with the Sounders choking under Sigi at this time of year.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter

• SeatownJay wrote:
    Spounge84 wrote:Give Will Johnson an Oscar

Whether or not he embellished, there's no excuse for Ozzie to swing his elbow at someone's jaw. And this isn't new. He's constantly doing stuff like this. As talented as he is, he's a hothead and Sigi's done nothing to try and keep him under control.

Oh, I agree Ozzie shouldn't have swung his elbow at him. I just find it funny how the Timbers owner claims his players don't do that crap, and then they do exactly that.
    Spounge84
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Also sick of US call ups and the schedule conflicts. Our main striker missing and hurt on duty, our midfielder who has upped his form also out. I hate international football.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter

• Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Also sick of US call ups and the schedule conflicts. Our main striker missing and hurt on duty, our midfielder who has upped his form also out. I hate international football.

Or maybe the MLS should do what just about every other major league does and take the week off when there's an international schedule.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• That's what I referred to by schedule conflicts. Makes the league seem so amateur.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter

• I am hands in face embarrassed right now...
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• If we struggled in the play offs does Sigi go? If so, who would you like to replace him? I'm not sure how well a European manager would do with a salary cap and draft. What is Bruce Arenas contract situation like? Could see it being Brian Schmetzer myself.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter

• If we fail to win the Supporters Shield or MLS cup there is a 85% chance Sigi is gone.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Smurf wrote:If we fail to win the Supporters Shield or MLS cup there is a 85% chance Sigi is gone.

Well, considering there's only like a 5% chance we win the MLS Cup (we're not winning the Supporter's Shield, that dream is dead), then it's a safe bet that Sigi's going to be looking for work in November. And I for one look forward to the change.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Spounge84 wrote:Give Will Johnson an Oscar

That was beautiful, actually. Took the elbow and turned to the ref to make sure he saw it.

I'm not sure which makes me happier: Being in first place with a chance to solidify it against RSL or watching the Sounders season implode.

RCTID
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

PreviousNext

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:09 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information