A few thoughts on Oregon-Washington

Fudwamper

Reaction score
davidonmi":11jk1bm1 said:
Here's a thought, FIRE SARK. Most overrated HC in UW history

Yes let us fire the guy that has dug the UW out of the basement. Good plan, now anyone have serious suggestion?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Like I said in the gameday thread, I don't want him fired, I want him to be better with in game adjustments. UW also doesn't have the talent to be predictable with the offensive play calling and beat the #2 team in the nation. While I fully expected UW to lose pretty much in the manor they did, you have to USE ALL OF YOUR WEAPONS and OFTEN to beat a team of the zeros caliber. ASJ and Williams were not targeted enough and enough early on IMHO.

HawkWow

Reaction score
SeatownJay":396rv67f said:
With the possible exception of running back (note the "possible", Duck fans), Oregon has better players than Washington at every position on the field. Until Washington starts winning some recruiting battles that's not going to change and the Ducks will continue to dominate the Huskies on the field.

Unless Phil decides to sell the team, I don't see us out-recruiting them.

A big turning point in this ^&%$fest, along with the Sankey fumble, was the no call on the horsecaller. That would have gave us a 1st and goal. HTF does this not get called? A TD instead of the FG would have got us within a score and the fans would have went all 12 on Mariota the next series, the D would have been jolted and who knows after that?

I am not taking anything away from UO's fantastic win. They left little doubt who the better team was. But a call here, a play there and anything can happen. That's why they're celebrating in Utah tonight. And after starting 8-0, my teams are 0-3 since. GO HAWKS (Gawd dammit).

JSeahawks

Reaction score
HawkWow":chodpena said:
SeatownJay":chodpena said:
With the possible exception of running back (note the "possible", Duck fans), Oregon has better players than Washington at every position on the field. Until Washington starts winning some recruiting battles that's not going to change and the Ducks will continue to dominate the Huskies on the field.

Husky fans really need to get over the Uncle Phil thing and just realize we're a damn good, very well coached football team.

Facilities and uniforms do not win games.

Btw, those were pretty sweet uni's and helmets that uncle phil gave UW as well.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1es2upyt said:
HawkWow":1es2upyt said:
SeatownJay":1es2upyt said:

Husky fans really need to get over the Uncle Phil thing and just realize we're a damn good, very well coached football team.

He's referring to the edge that Uncle Phil's facilities and uniforms give Oregon in recruiting. It's not a coincidence that Washington's use of shiny new uniforms this season coincides with their shiny new stadium.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2qw9d4y7 said:
He's referring to the edge that Uncle Phil's facilities and uniforms give Oregon in recruiting.

I know.

The facilities and uni's are great. I'm very thankful for Phil Knight for supporting the Ducks program. But recruits come to Oregon because they make BCS games. Not because they get to wear fancy helmets.

HawkWow

Reaction score
JSea....if I thought it ended with snazzy unis...I wouldn't give a damn about Phil's uh, donations to the program (and I thought our unis sucked ass, btw). It's the influence Knight has on recruits. You can't tell me in all honesty the owner of Nike, the guy that pay's billions out in shoe deals, can't sway the recruit that believes he is ultimately in line for a sweet shoe deal of his own. Plus...how do we know what's going on behind the scenes? Knight has MANY friends out there. Many of them hang on the walls of impressionable recruits IE:

"Hey Devron, I hear you're considering both UO and UW, you can't go wrong with UO, my friend".

Devron: "I do like both schools...how did you get my number..who is this anyway"?

Caller: " This is your new buddy, Lebron, man...had I went to college, I sure would have went to UO...let me give you my personal number in case you'd like to give me a holla some time".

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2w3nbezk said:
SeatownJay":2w3nbezk said:
He's referring to the edge that Uncle Phil's facilities and uniforms give Oregon in recruiting.

I know.

The facilities and uni's are great. I'm very thankful for Phil Knight for supporting the Ducks program. But recruits come to Oregon because they make BCS games. Not because they get to wear fancy helmets.

Have you spoken to them off the record and got the real scoop?

This is all just speculation on your part.

CPHawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":1dz8zlln said:
SeatownJay":1dz8zlln said:

A big turning point in this ^&%$fest, along with the Sankey fumble, was the no call on the horsecaller. That would have gave us a 1st and goal. HTF does this not get called? A TD instead of the FG would have got us within a score and the fans would have went all 12 on Mariota the next series, the D would have been jolted and who knows after that?

I am not taking anything away from UO's fantastic win. They left little doubt who the better team was. But a call here, a play there and anything can happen. That's why they're celebrating in Utah tonight. And after starting 8-0, my teams are 0-3 since. GO HAWKS (Gawd dammit).

What game did you watch? The refs called the game so lopsided towards UW, it wasn't even funny. If Lowe makes the easy catch on the first drive, UW is down 14-0 and heads hanging before you can say bow down. If your aunt had nuts, she would be your uncle.

HawkWow

Reaction score
SeatownJay":5ailisf2 said:
JSeahawks":5ailisf2 said:
HawkWow":5ailisf2 said:
SeatownJay":5ailisf2 said:

He's referring to the edge that Uncle Phil's facilities and uniforms give Oregon in recruiting. It's not a coincidence that Washington's use of shiny new uniforms this season coincides with their shiny new stadium.

I'd be more inclined to believe U-Dubs use of shiny new unis falls under the category of "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit".

HawkWow

Reaction score
CPHawk":3g3gdtr1 said:
HawkWow":3g3gdtr1 said:
SeatownJay":3g3gdtr1 said:

What game did you watch? The refs called the game so lopsided towards UW, it wasn't even funny. If Lowe makes the easy catch on the first drive, UW is down 14-0 and heads hanging before you can say bow down. If your aunt had nuts, she would be your uncle.

I was talking about turning points in the game. Your example, the dropped pass was also a turning point in the game. Are you grasping this yet? If your aunt had nuts she'd still be your half-sister.

CPHawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":14yt20en said:
CPHawk":14yt20en said:
HawkWow":14yt20en said:
SeatownJay":14yt20en said:

I was talking about turning points in the game. Your example, the dropped pass was also a turning point in the game. Are you grasping this yet? If your aunt had nuts she'd still be your half-sister.

Wow, same story for 10 years, never can give props and just say Oregon is superior. Oh no, a missed horse collar was the turning point, a play that only happened because our dl destroyed your OL on the play. A missed horse collar isn't a turning point, far from it. But hey name calling fits you.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Oregon called an outstanding game offensively. The playcalling was perfectly layered, everything was setup, and perfectly executed, UW's head was spinning in the second half. I was rooting for UW, but as a fan of football, the playcalling was outstanding.

Mariota is a stud, money throws all day. Had one questionable decision on a throw but UW was slow reacting and he still fired it in there for a completion.

UW didn't play terrible, I thought they played well, but they were going against a faster, more talented machine. I thought athleticism at the linebacker position really hurt UW. It hurt them on the buck sweeps Oregon was running and it hurt them in handling Mariota. It is no use spying a guy when the spy can't stick with the qb.

I didn't get a lot of UW's playcalling as far as pass plays. They called a lot of deep routes, a lot of seam routes, which against Oregon's secondary just wasn't open. The short stuff, especially the slants, were open every time they went to it. Oregon gave them the short stuff and UW didn't take it. I think sometimes Sark gets caught up in the shootout nature of the game and tried to force the ball downfield.

Bishop Sankey is a stud, but we knew that already. Another solid game, sans the fumble from him.

I knew going in 92 for Oregon was a beast, but he manhandled UW's center in the second half. Oregon did a great job getting pressure on Price in the second half, by the 4th quarter they had changed his eye level and I think he missed some guys downfield.

The remodeled stadium is beautiful, the crowd was jacked up for a UW crowd. Beautiful weather, beautiful setting, beautiful campus, compelling game for three quarters, didn't end the way I wanted to, but it was a lot of fun. UW is better, they have the way to go, but the gap is as shorter than its been with Oregon in years.

I think Oregon will end up playing in the title game, will they win? Who knows. But that is a great team.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Yeah, I was there, about seven rows from the back wall on the fifty yardline. Lots of Ducks fans up there. The crowd doesn't even compare, it was loud, and a great atmosphere, but Seahawks games are at a level of insanity that is unmatched.

drrew

Reaction score
CPHawk":2e2zp7uv said:
Wow, same story for 10 years, never can give props and just say Oregon is superior. Oh no, a missed horse collar was the turning point, a play that only happened because our dl destroyed your OL on the play. A missed horse collar isn't a turning point, far from it. But hey name calling fits you.

Your selective reading and indignation is embarrassing. Did you not read where he wrote "I am not taking anything away from UO's fantastic win. They left little doubt who the better team was."???

To deny that the missed horse collar (I'm not sure I've ever seen a more egregiously missed call, the head ref was 5 yards away staring directly at the play) was a potential turning point is just arguing for the sake of arguing. Nobody is claiming the refs decided the game, nobody is claiming this was the only potential turning point. Stop the trolling, it ruins discussion by the adults in the room.

drrew

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2rajjbdj said:
Were you there 2k? Just curious, how does the UW crowd compare to the Seahawks crowd?

I would second this, and I've been to Autzen, which can be an incredible atmosphere, but neither of them can hold a candle to Seahawks stadium when it's roaring. It's just a completely different feeling.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Here's what I want to know. I heard a lot about Washington's "speed" on the outside at the start of the season but I have yet to see a single Husky running past a defensive back down the field. Is the Huskies' speed overrated?

drrew

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1sioasxy said:
Here's what I want to know. I heard a lot about Washington's "speed" on the outside at the start of the season but I have yet to see a single Husky running past a defensive back down the field. Is the Huskies' speed overrated?

John Ross has legitimate world class speed, but he ended up being surpassed by Jaydon Mickens in the role of the primary small receiver.

You also must have missed Bishop Sankey's 60 yard run at the beginning of the 3rd quarter.

In no way does the UW have the across the board elite level speed that Oregon currently possesses (the ESPN Magazine article about the entire teams work with the Oregon spring coach was interesting) but the speed is there to challenge anyone else in the Pac12.