Predict the score of Ducks vs Dawgs

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I recall Stanford having most of their starters out when ASU got those points in the fourth quarter.

HawkWow

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1x6g5o28 said:
HawkWow":1x6g5o28 said:
I feel we pose a bigger threat to UO than Stanford does.

Stongly disagree. From a Ducks perspective UW's strengths match up perfectly with what the Ducks like to do. Stanford's power game scares the crap out of me. If the Ducks get a 10 point lead on Stanford, then its over. But if the game stays close i'm much more worried about STanford then I am about Washington.

You're scaring yourself on purpose. You miss the rush that comes with the possibility your team may not emerge victorious. I recall being in your shoes. In '91, I had to convince myself Nebraska could beat us. When they jumped out to an early lead (at their house) I felt a rush of adrenaline I'd grown to miss. Of course, their lead was short lived and we WHUPPED that ass.

How often these days do you get that with UO? Without the possibility of losing, winning becomes less thrilling. But deep down, you know better.

Stanford is no match for Oregon. The Dawgs have big play ability from numerous targets and that's the main reason I believe we will give you more of a fight than that hideous tree. All this talk about smash mouth football and physicality. My ass. They are no more physically imposing than U-Dub. In fact, less so. Stanford is more pretender than contender. 40-20 UO @ "The Farm".

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Well then why am I not scared about Washington?

Stanford beat us last year. We've beat UW by an average of 26 points the last 9 years. Forgive me if i'm more worried about one then the other.

I don't think Stanford beats Oregon. I don't think anybody beats Oregon this season. But if anybody beats them I think it will be either Alabama or Stanford.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Like you said, Stanford beat Oregon and Oregon pounded the Dawgs. The same Dawgs that beat Stanford.

Oregon played flat and Stanford over their heads. The odds of that combination happening again...I'd say, are about none. You're lucky to have them ranked 5th. The result will net you 1st place votes.

But.....Stanford and 'Bama in the same sentence, JSea? Blasphemous.

kearly

Reaction score
I mean this as a serious question, is Oregon's offense really that much better than UW's right now? Because UW is nearly the top offense in the country, and they've played (IMO) a much tougher defensive schedule than Oregon has to this point.

I think Oregon's offense is better, but I think it's very close. I think UW's defense is better, but it's close. The game is at Washington with that new stadium that can get pretty loud. UW could have, and arguably should have, beaten Stanford in their house last week. Stanford won, but I honestly came away from that game feeling that UW was the better team.

I think this game is almost a coinflip. I think if they played 100 times Oregon wins just a little over 50 of them. I don't get where the blowout predictions are coming from. UW is a much tougher and better team than I think some people here realize.

UW has done very well this season against hurry up offenses. Obviously, Oregon's is the gold standard, but I'd be surprised if they broke 50.

Oregon: 42
UW: 43

Also, I don't think this is necessarily Oregon's best season. They haven't played anyone yet. Those other Oregon teams destroyed inferior competition every bit as the the current team is.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
kearly":10svuagh said:
I mean this as a serious question, is Oregon's offense really that much better than UW's right now? Because UW is nearly the top offense in the country, and they've played (IMO) a much tougher defensive schedule than Oregon has to this point.

I think Oregon's offense is better, but I think it's very close. I think UW's defense is better, but it's close. The game is at Washington with that new stadium that can get pretty loud. UW could have, and arguably should have, beaten Stanford in their house last week. Stanford won, but I honestly came away from that game feeling that UW was the better team.

I think this game is almost a coinflip. I think if they played 100 times Oregon wins just a little over 50 of them. I don't get where the blowout predictions are coming from. UW is a much tougher and better team than I think some people here realize.

UW has done very well this season against hurry up offenses. Obviously, Oregon's is the gold standard, but I'd be surprised if they broke 50.

Also, I don't think this is necessarily Oregon's best season. They haven't played anyone yet. Those other Oregon teams destroyed inferior competition every bit as the the current team is.

Oregon fans are confident about this game because our team beat the crap out of a good Tennessee team (the one that took #6 Georgia to OT). I also think that the Huskies are overestimating their abilities because they played a bunch of nobodies (including an over-ranked Boise St. team and a middling Illinois team) just like you're saying Oregon did. That point doesn't fall in your favor because when the Huskies played a somebody, they lost.

Another reference point (the only one I can bring up for apples to apples comparison) is that Stanford scored 31 points on Washington (sort of) whereas a 'worse' Ducks defense held them to 17 points last year. I'm confident the UO defense is much better this year (possibly better than Stanford's D even), and I'm not sold that your defense will be successful against the blur.

I do agree that the homefield advantage will play into the final score, but I'm not worried that it's the deciding factor. The imitation isn't beating the original. This isn't an Oreo/Hydrox situation. This will be an Oregon win.

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm changing my pick, simply because I don't appreciate Sarc83's confidence in the face of his zero football knowledge.

38-24, Dawgs

Snohomie

Reaction score
I'm not sure the UW defense is better than Oregon's, honestly. I think Oregon has a solid advantage at DL, and that will be the difference in the UW O vs UO D matchup. I think calling the defenses a push is pretty fair to UW.

On offense, I can't see UW beating Oregon at its own game. Obviously the offenses won't play eachother, but I only see a couple UW offensive players that I'd rather have than Oregon, and that is not counting DAT (who I expect to be out and is better for us than Sankey would be, but Sankey is better for UW since he can carry the load, which UO doesn't need). How do the Dawgs fans here feel about your depth? Tempo vs Tempo matchups are going to make depth hugely important in this game.

Working under the assumption DAT doesn't play, I think the game is darn close: 38-28 (with these offenses that means you're watching til the end). I really think DAT is worth 10-14pts (EASY) in this game. I really see the LOS dictating this game, and IMO that favors UO.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
pehawk":uybctfkk said:
I'm changing my pick, simply because I don't appreciate Sarc83's confidence in the face of his zero football knowledge.

38-24, Dawgs

You might as well head to the pumpkin patch right now.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
pehawk":3cdkkrtb said:

38-24, Dawgs

Does this mean I've completed my good deed for the day?

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I'm starting to think dat is playing. The ducks never ever talk about injuries, but it seems like they're going out of there way this week to make dat look doubtful. Starting to think there's some gamesmenship going on there.

pehawk

Reaction score
Kearly doesn't have blind hate though. He actually doesn't. If anything kearly's been respecting the rivals too much. Be it his crush on Harbaugh or Mariachi (that's the Ducks QB, right?), kearly surprised the hell out of me with his pick.

I was about to proclaim he jumped the shark, being too unbiased, actually.

I'm glad to have my smart, yet bias, Chip Tardyale back in tow.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
pehawk":16juillr said:
Kearly doesn't have blind hate though. He actually doesn't If anything kearly's been respecting the rivals to much. Be it his crush on Harbaugh or Mariachi (that's the Ducks QB, right?), kearly surprised the hell out of me with his pick.

I was about to proclaim he jumped the shark, being too unbiased, actually.

I'm glad to have my smart, yet bias, Chip Tardyale back in tow.

Ducks QB is Milachi. He and his brother wrecked Pinky Tuscadero with the famous "Milachi Crunch" during a demolition derby.

Really pissed of the Fonz

pehawk

Reaction score
There's a GREAT Opie and Anthony skit where they replay one of the old Happy Days episodes, one of the "very special episodes" dealing with a societal ill. Its great.

Are you sure their QB isn't Mariucci?

kearly

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":25c8c6ym said:
kearly":25c8c6ym said:

Oregon fans are confident about this game because our team beat the crap out of a good Tennessee team (the one that took #6 Georgia to OT). I also think that the Huskies are overestimating their abilities because they played a bunch of nobodies (including an over-ranked Boise St. team and a middling Illinois team) just like you're saying Oregon did. That point doesn't fall in your favor because when the Huskies played a somebody, they lost.

Another reference point (the only one I can bring up for apples to apples comparison) is that Stanford scored 31 points on Washington (sort of) whereas a 'worse' Ducks defense held them to 17 points last year. I'm confident the UO defense is much better this year (possibly better than Stanford's D even), and I'm not sold that your defense will be successful against the blur.

I do agree that the homefield advantage will play into the final score, but I'm not worried that it's the deciding factor. The imitation isn't beating the original. This isn't an Oreo/Hydrox situation. This will be an Oregon win.

Boise State was a ranked opponent, and are a better team than you give credit for. The final score did not indicate the way the game was played. They beat UW in the trenches more than Stanford did.

You don't think one of the nations higher ranked defenses can hold Oregon to 42 points at home?

Tennessee isn't a good football team. That game was in Oregon too, across the country. Who didn't expect a pasting there? I like Georgia, but they have been erratic week to week for years. Sometimes they are giant killers. Sometimes they lose to teams they have no business losing to. I like them. But they make for a poor measuring stick. Especially if we're talking about a measuring stick for a measuring stick, which is flawed logic to begin with.

The Huskies scored 28 points and racked up around 500 yards at Stanford. They lost, because of special teams and officiating. You watched the game, right? Them losing does not change how eye opening the performance was.

I hope that didn't read too hostile. Apologies if it did. Also, thanks for having my back a few posts up.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I would argue that how you play against Stanford gas zero correlation to how ou play against Oregon. The two are polar opposites in almost every way.