David Shaw blasts Sark

kearly

Reaction score
It certainly looked like Stanford faked injuries, but that kind of thing really shouldn't bother anybody, IMO. If it bothers coaches they should push for a rule change to discourage the practice, such as forcing injured players to miss the remainder of the drive.

I didn't see a single replay of the final pass where you could tell with stone cold certainty that the ball contacts the ground. It does appear to "bounce" slightly, but it very well could have bounced off the receivers hand or arm. If you ask me what I "think", I think it was probably an incomplete pass. But there wasn't any hard proof it hit the ground, and it was ruled a catch on the field. If evidence is not conclusive, the play is not to be overturned. Therefore, the correct ruling would have been to say "I don't know, call stands." Maybe not in those exact words though. They'd probably just say the "call stands" part.

Let's not forget either, this was a call that decided a football game. If you aren't sure which way to call it, you shouldn't call it in such a way that ends the game. No impartial observer ever wants to see a game decided by the officials, especially if it's in controversial fashion. Not every such situation can be like the Fail Mary and better the greater good as a result.

Allegedly, Stanford could not challenge either, and the previous challenge happened within the final two minutes and wasn't automatic. Either the UW penalty shouldn't have been challenged or the previous play Stanford challenged (it was within the last 2 minutes) shouldn't have cost Stanford a timeout. Either way, there was a mistake by the officials there.

As far as Shaw, I don't get it. Comes across like a sore winner. Maybe he's trying to copy Harbaugh's success by copying Harbaugh's bully mentality.

Gap Filler

Reaction score
kearly":l6ubzttt said:
I didn't see a single replay of the final pass where you could tell with stone cold certainty that the ball contacts the ground. It does appear to "bounce" slightly, but it very well could have bounced off the receivers hand or arm. If you ask me what I "think", I think it was probably an incomplete pass. But there wasn't any hard proof it hit the ground, and it was ruled a catch on the field. If evidence is not conclusive, the play is not to be overturned. Therefore, the correct ruling would have been to say "I don't know, call stands." Maybe not in those exact words though. They'd probably just say the "call stands" part.

Let's not forget either, this was a call that decided a football game. If you aren't sure which way to call it, you shouldn't call it in such a way that ends the game. No impartial observer ever wants to see a game decided by the officials, especially if it's in controversial fashion. Not every such situation can be like the Fail Mary and better the greater good as a result.

Allegedly, Stanford could not challenge either, and the previous challenge happened within the final two minutes and wasn't automatic. Either the UW penalty shouldn't have been challenged or the previous play Stanford challenged (it was within the last 2 minutes) shouldn't have cost Stanford a timeout. Either way, there was a mistake by the officials there.

SloMoWashingtonBallStanford.gif

Nah man, that ball bounced off the ground. I don't know why people can't see that.

kearly

Reaction score
The ball does move when it reaches the ground but his hand is under it. Maybe it does touch the ground, or maybe the "bounce" was from his hand. I think it probably touched the ground, but there isn't clear evidence because the hand is under it and we don't know which factor made the ball turn.

If it had been called incomplete on the field I would have been fine with the decision. But to me this clearly does not meet the "indisputable" requirement for an over turn. I also still have no idea why the challenge was legal in the first place. Is there a special rule for 4th downs or something? Because the automatic final 2 minute challenge rule we have in the NFL did not apply a few plays earlier in this same game, and Stanford was out of challenges.

HawkWow

Reaction score
kearly":2q1lwrse said:
It certainly looked like Stanford faked injuries, but that kind of thing really shouldn't bother anybody, IMO. If it bothers coaches they should push for a rule change to discourage the practice, such as forcing injured players to miss the remainder of the drive.

As far as Shaw, I don't get it. Comes across like a sore winner. Maybe he's trying to copy Harbaugh's success by copying Harbaugh's bully mentality.

Beautiful post, Kearly. Much more eloquent than I could have penned it. Like yourself, I'm not freaking about the faking. I would like to see the rule modified to at least keep such shenanigans to a minimum. Perhaps the player needs to sit for 3 plays. Unsure, that's difficult, too. Players do legitimately get dinged, but if they don't do something, it could get very out of hand and become more Hollywood than football. Stanford (for 1) will likely start recruiting actor / athletes as opposed to student / athletes.

I am being a bit redundant, but the antics and lack of sportsmanship shared by both Harbaugh and Shaw is uncanny. I am going to remain confident that ultimately, the BS of both men will come back to bite them in the ass and hopefully become their undoing. Hopefully it will turn off recruits that want to win with class and shun such theatrics.

I can't imagine an AD of such a respectable university buying in to the crap Shaw is selling. I have rooted for UO...OK, I don't recall ever rooting for UO, but I hope they mentally cripple Shaw and his team and I hope the same happens in their bowl. Losing is one thing, poor sportsmanship another. Put the 2 together and someone may be seeking alternative employment. Shaw would fit in well with that 9er org, thinks me.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Kearly I was under the impression that in college every play is under review, which would explain why the review was granted in the first place.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
Shaw is full of sh@t.

[youtube]-HeH-cNIcDs[/youtube]

[youtube]yUMEg2zGfV4[/youtube]

He even lied about Skov's injury/MRI, guy is two-faced.