Would the Seahawks trade for Tony Gonzalez?

cacksman

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2h0v00qo said:
PC may have put up with Matt Hasselbeck, Lawyer Milloy, and Antoine Winfield for a while, but Gonzalez makes even those ancients look springy.

Tony is still an elite player, whereas those guys were clearly not.

cacksman

Reaction score
Erebus":312p4ih8 said:
Tony G is way more than a receiving TE. He's an all around great TE, and he would improve our offense immensely. And if the Falcons are willing to pay most of his contract, I'd offer them a 4th round pick and see if they take it. Not sure they'll get a 3rd from anyone for a one year rental.

Yep.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":pv57o9t1 said:
Tony made his bed, he'll have to lie in it. As badly as he wants and deserves one, a SB will not be obtainable for Gonzo in this lifetime. If a trade happened, fans would turn on Blank for giving up on the season and/or would say Gonzo secretly asked for the trade. It would be a PR nitemare either way. Not every player wins a SB. Money usually dulls that pain.

What if they are 1-6 at the deadline? Draft picks for a guy not on the roster next year sounds pretty good then.

Largent80

Reaction score
Might as well get an o-lineman, because the way ours is thinned and playing, G would be just another blocker.

Pass.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Largent80":2cz719g7 said:
Might as well get an o-lineman, because the way ours is thinned and playing, G would be just another blocker.

Pass.
I bet he could cut block like a boss!

minormillikin

Reaction score
Largent80":18nqznko said:

Pass.

This is pretty much the case. Conventional WRs and receiving TEs are wasted on the Seahawks until the line improves.

Rice on a decent pocket passing team would probably be having a good year, and the same for Zach Miller.

I actually feel sort of bad for Miller, being demoted to O-line, after leading the Raiders in receptions. Then again, at least he's not stuck on the Raiders.

That said, Harvin and Tate seem to be the perfect sort of receiver for this team-- so no gloom and doom here.

kearly

Reaction score
Only a fool would say "no" before hearing the price.

That said, for the trade to even be possible, Gonzalez would have to either take a massive pay cut or some other Seahawk (Rice, Miller, etc) would have to fall on the sword instead. Maybe Gonzalez sees his team 4 games back in the division and feels it's worth it, but that's not a certainty.

It would also have to be a fairly low draft pick. I'd say 5th round, tops. Gonzalez is on a 2 year contract, but it's understood that Gonzalez is very unlikely to play that second year.

That said, if we got him for a 6th and he took a paycut to get down around $2 million or so, who wouldn't be excited about adding Gonzalez? If there's a deal in place that makes sense, I see no reason to scuttle it. Gonzalez can still play. He's not over the hill. He's a possession ace and if you forgot our QB would not stop gushing about Gonzalez earlier this year.

The Falcons are 1-4. Does that make them "sellers?" Honestly, I don't think so, not yet. But if they are 2-5 when the deadline comes, maybe they give it some serious consideration. A draft pick and maybe $3 million in saved salary for next season for a guy that probably can't help a 2-5 team very much. If they reach that stage, Gonzalez could be a bargain buy for somebody.