LOL: Goodbye, Aldon Smith. (New charges)

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
LOL: Goodbye, Aldon Smith. (New charges)
Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:13 pm

• Did you really "Lol"? Like for real?

Now that he's in rehab, I'm pulling for him. Its a "there but for the grace of god" thing.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• If smiling in real life counts, then yes. If you want that kind of firepower, get the proper permits. Why should I not be amused by this?
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• pehawk wrote:Did you really "Lol"? Like for real?

Now that he's in rehab, I'm pulling for him. Its a "there but for the grace of god" thing.

I didn't know they had gun rehab.
    AvengerRam
    NET Starter

• 20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• not sure why he needs the assualt weapons for protection its not like he plays QB for Houston.
    Weadoption
    NET Rookie

• I am a gun guy, I've made no attempt to hide that fact around here. I live in Texas where we have fairly easy going gun laws. Having said that, every gun I own is legal and I've had to jump thru hoops backwards for some of them. Smith deserves whatever he gets if these allegations are proven true.

Not trying to debate gun laws, only stating that if he broke the law, he should pay the price.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• AvengerRam wrote:
    pehawk wrote:Did you really "Lol"? Like for real?

Meh, not into guns. But, in my crack and harder days, I packed a few times. Exactly two. One time I went back to find a guy, with my gun, and I probably would've shot the dude had he still been at the bar. Also, the people I've met who own guns, 9 times out of 10, use it to compensate for masculinity. And, when I've seen them drawn, it's been by frightened types who cant defend themselves in a fight.

That's in my experience and certainly not universal.

So, that's why I'm empathetic here.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• I guess Aldon Smith has a lot to compensate for if he's drawing this thing out of his pants to point at people: (It's the specific model he supposedly had.)

RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• WTH? Really? That's what he used?

Yeah, I agree iRo, dude has some issues. Illegal to boot. Wow.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• If his pants were big enough to pull that thing out he must have been hangin with MC Hammer.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• pehawk wrote:
    AvengerRam wrote:
    pehawk wrote:Did you really "Lol"? Like for real?

Meh, not into guns. But, in my crack and harder days, I packed a few times. Exactly two. One time I went back to find a guy, with my gun, and I probably would've shot the dude had he still been at the bar. Also, the people I've met who own guns, 9 times out of 10, use it to compensate for masculinity. And, when I've seen them drawn, it's been by frightened types who cant defend themselves in a fight.

That's in my experience and certainly not universal.

So, that's why I'm empathetic here.

I shot a .22 rifle at a range at Summer camp once.

Haven't touched a gun since.
    AvengerRam
    NET Starter

• That is one of the weapons in the felony weapons charge. A .50 caliber sniper rifle. LOL. You can blow people in half with that damn thing.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/388036409883242496

Edit: That gun is linked, but reports are saying a .50 caliber rifle, though the gun being linked is a .308; so who knows which one is correct at this point.
    Last edited by RolandDeschain on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Non of the weapons listed in the original article posted was a .50 cal.

Was something written about Smith possessing a .50 cal rifle?

Edit: ok never mind.
    Last edited by pmedic920 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• A SNIPER RIFLE? Really? Really? Does this asshole think he's in Call of Duty? I mean, we all think sniper levels are great (snipers in multi-player mode are punks, however), but c'mon man?

I personally detest guns, will never own them or have them around my family, etc. Just hate them. I don't scale that belief on other's behalf though, be legal and we're cool. BUT, illegal guns PISS me off.

Yeah, hope dude goes away for awhile, now. He just drinks, great but so do frat girls. At least I was a man and slammed brown and smoked rock when I was nutty. It wasn't from grape jolly-ranchers soaked in Grey Goose.

Roger needs to step up.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• pmedic920 wrote:Non of the weapons listed in the original article posted was a .50 cal.

Was something written about Smith possessing a .50 cal rifle?

I saw it in a couple of different Tweets while on lunch, but it looks like the .50 caliber thing is wrong.

Either way, buying weaponry which is illegal for you to buy because you're a California resident and also illegal to bring into the state of California, per the article, while you're playing an away game against the Cardinals...Man, how stupid do you have to be?
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Yeah, and who doesn't realize the laws MAY be slightly different in that nutty state of Arizona? They allow you to wear a rifle during a presidential address, for krists sake, it's like GTA in Arizona.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Also, another key point that most aren't paying attention to:

"It is unclear why it took more than a year for deputies to turn the case over to prosecutors in July following last summer's party at Smith's rented 8,000-square-foot-house in the foothills near San Jose."

When do we discuss how much the cops in the Bay area cover up for celebrities?
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Is the weapon needed NO. I enjoy having weapons for hunting and target shooting but that's it. But I also have the ability to remove my self intelligently on when to use or not to use. I am Not one to laugh at others dumb decisions being made in everyday life. fact of the matter Roland would have found it amusing (your terms) if this was some dumb ass on the streets instead of a Niners player? Or would you find it appalling LIKE I DO. Laugh at it no. be disgusted with it YES. This kid has more opportunity than most kids in today's society and he is quickly screwing it up. He deserves swift and strict punishment.hopefully it is not pushed under a rug,
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

• Just to be clear, I fully support Aldon Smith's right to have whatever weapons he wants that are legal for him to own, even if they're ridiculously powerful or rare weapons that require special permits; assuming he GETS said permits and everything he has is legal.

Unfortunately for him, he's a moron and is likely going to pay a pretty harsh penalty for learning this particular lesson.

Also, Kats, I laughed and said "glad they caught him" when our own Leroy Hill was busted, multiple times, for DUI. Sure, it sucks when it's your own guy, but I have no patience for millionaire athletes that risk it all because they refuse to grow up while they're making mad money, and that includes my own beloved Seahawks.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• In my opinion one gun charge and you lose your right. I exactly feel just like you Roland thanks for clarifying.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

• Here is what I don't get. Deputies sat on these charges for more than a year. Why? And did they decide to file the charges because of the DUI he recently got?

I can't think of one legitimate reason they should have sat on felony charges for a year plus.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Scotte, it seems pretty clear to me that they were trying to bury the gun charges, but his DUI and the publicity from it made for too much heat. You cover stuff up to do favors for people when you can, you stop doing it when it can cost you your own job or even potentially get you thrown in jail.

Like you, I can't imagine a feasible scenario for sitting on it that long that doesn't involve covering it up.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• It's funny because he is a Niner. We laugh and fart in your direction.
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

• Scottemojo wrote:Here is what I don't get. Deputies sat on these charges for more than a year. Why? And did they decide to file the charges because of the DUI he recently got?

I can't think of one legitimate reason they should have sat on felony charges for a year plus.

They waited until the civil suit laid it all out. The "don't snitch" culture kept it on the down-low for awhile.

At least I think that's it.
    Last edited by pehawk on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Nah, it'd still be funny if it was some other team's star pass rusher, too. It's definitely more funny because it's a 49er, though; no doubt about that.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Hey y'all , I'm all in on him getting whatever the law allows.

A responsible gun owner knows, or should learn the laws, BEFORE buying or possessing a gun. Period. No excuses. A responsible gun owner also knows that laws very from state to state. Again no excuses.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• Hey pehawk question what the hell is that pic in you sig?????????????? lol. Charges should have came immediate. If im correct the police were called to the house that night would they not search the weapons and take them if illegal. Then file charges
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

• The culture is to never say there were guns, at all. Don't snitch, period, but by all means sue. Because suing's manlier.

Now you get why I kind of hate the gun culture?
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Kats, go to Google Images and type in "geoduck". :)

Also, Pe, the COPS sat on the evidence; they're the ones that LIKE snitching. :)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• A few thoughts -
    1) If he had a sniper rifle and missed he sucks
    2) We may be able to pick him up for cheap now next year :)
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:Kats, go to Google Images and type in "geoduck". :)

Also, Pe, the COPS sat on the evidence; they're the ones that LIKE snitching. :)

Do you blurt out the "safe" word during intimate time, then clarify "no, I was just confirming that's the safe word, sweetie...don't stop"?
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• RolandDeschain wrote:Kats, go to Google Images and type in "geoduck". :)

LOL a very large salty edible clam. Holy crap God has a sense of humor.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

• pehawk wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Here is what I don't get. Deputies sat on these charges for more than a year. Why? And did they decide to file the charges because of the DUI he recently got?

They waited until the civil suit laid it all out. The "don't snitch" culture kept it on the down-low for awhile.

Nah, the deputies found the illegal guns. The no snitch policy was about any shootings, stabbings.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Wow, "The party included a $10 entrance fee. Gang members arrived, paid the fee and eventually a confrontation happened."

Charging an entrance fee? I imagine that is illegal and comes with all kinds of liability. "You charged money for entrance and had the responsibility to keep people safe."

I have quite a few guns but I used them all to fill my freezer and when I was guiding for big game. I also reload and do a lot of shooting but I rarely talk about it, and all my guns, save one, are tucked away where no one can see them and they are all (save one) currently disabled in some way.

But shooting is fun, blowing up a gallon jug of water with a high velocity rifle is a lot more fun than shooting off some black cats. :D And shooting sticks of petrogel is freakin' hilarious! A little hard on small structures, old telephone poles and 55 gallon drums, but fun nonetheless :P
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• Scottemojo wrote:
    pehawk wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Here is what I don't get. Deputies sat on these charges for more than a year. Why? And did they decide to file the charges because of the DUI he recently got?

Nah, the deputies found the illegal guns. The no snitch policy was about any shootings, stabbings.

That is not uncommon. They have to get all of their ducks in a row first, especially against a wealthy football player who can afford an expensive lawyer. Too many cases are lost on technicalities or legal maneuvering. DAs are a tough lot who are usually overloaded, and they don't get paid a whole lot. They come in to a courthouse wheeling a hand truck full of boxes of case files and leave hours later with that. Add to that the snails pace that the bureaucracies they work for, and 1 year isn't too bad. Plus, once they charge a defendant, there is the right to a fair and speedy trial so you can't do your investigating after you charge them, but before.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• Scottemojo wrote:
    pehawk wrote:

From my understanding of the case, the delay related to evidence regarding whether or not Aldon Smith willingly circumvented the law by purchasing guns out of state which are illegal. In other words, was Aldon simply an idiot for having the illegal guns, or did he know they were illegal and sought to circumvent the law (Ignorance vs Deception).

Ignorance of the law isn't a defense, but it can be a mitigating factor in a more serious offense.

Let me see if i can track down the official charging documents. I can give you a better answer if i read the language.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

• Well, then there's no legit reason they sat on it then. Damn.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Aldon Smith - give Plexico a call and discuss how fun prison is........

These guys are idiots - have your friends stay sober and drive you home, buy the guns and purchase the PEDs. Why would you do these things in your own name?
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• pehawk wrote:Well, then there's no legit reason they sat on it then. Damn.

It is a matter of priorities. Local law enforcement is spread pretty thin darn here in the Bay Area. A one year investigation is not unusual at all.

To be clear, he was found in possession of an Armalite AR10-T .308 caliber rifle, a Bushmaster ACR rifle chambered for 5.56mm NATO and a Bushmaster Carbon-15 .223 caliber.

The gun he is alleged to have fired is a .45 handgun.
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

• I wasn't taking a shot at the police force. If it we're up to me teacher, police and firemen would get $100k a year, period.

I later read your clarifications and it makes total sense.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• pehawk wrote:I wasn't taking a shot at the police force. If it we're up to me teacher, police and firemen would get $100k a year, period.

I later read your clarifications and it makes total sense.

Sorry. Didn't mean to imply that.
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

• Basis4day wrote:
    pehawk wrote:Well, then there's no legit reason they sat on it then. Damn.

It is a matter of priorities. Local law enforcement is spread pretty thin darn here in the Bay Area. A one year investigation is not unusual at all.

To be clear, he was found in possession of an Armalite AR10-T .308 caliber rifle, a Bushmaster ACR rifle chambered for 5.56mm NATO and a Bushmaster Carbon-15 .223 caliber.

A year that is nothing. Ask this woman who was in prison for 19 years unable to post the $180 (USD) bail while the indian system was churning........

http://www.news.com.au/world-news/bail- ... 6654225624
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Seems like everyone agrees about Roland's comment being what it was. No point in continuing to take it seriously, IMO. ;)

mikeak wrote:
    These guys are idiots - have your friends stay sober and drive you home

Fueling the fire: ya don't even need to call a friend. The NFLPA has a free 24 hour car service that any player can call to get a ride if they're drunk. That is the level of idiocy we're talking. ;)
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• Scottemojo wrote:Here is what I don't get. Deputies sat on these charges for more than a year. Why? And did they decide to file the charges because of the DUI he recently got?

Because they noticed the niners were doing good and they are fans. So they held off on the charges. But then they lost the super bowl.They decided they would give it another year to charge him.

Then the niners got their asses handed to them by the Hawks. After that they said forget it. Seasons over. And added it to the dui charges.
    Joey13091
    NET Veteran

• I hate guns. But if someone wants one, for crying out loud get it legally. Get the proper safety training. Take all the necessary measures to safely store it.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• Can we somehow nominate A Smith for the NFL's version of the Darwin Award?
    seedhawk
    NET Veteran

• Basis4day wrote:
    pehawk wrote:Well, then there's no legit reason they sat on it then. Damn.

.308's are fun as hell to shoot
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• seedhawk wrote:Can we somehow nominate A Smith for the NFL's version of the Darwin Award?

Let's just give him the award; we'll give him a huge blunt and a bottle of Cristal to go along with it. :mrgreen:
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Next

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:31 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information