Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck

lobohawk

Reaction score
Bartmuley":2qk04h95 said:
austinslater25":2qk04h95 said:
Its the only stat you have mentioned and its WORSE for Luck than it is for Wilson....and thats your strongest argument! lol Does that not tell you something?

I've mentioned a bunch of stats, so not sure which one you're referring to.

If you're talking about the INT percentage I mentioned that because someone brought up Luck having so many more turnovers than Wilson. I pointed out that Luck only had so many more turnovers because he had so many more attempts.

It's not exactly rocket science. Look at their INT percentages lol. And Luck was going deep more Wilson. That affects completion percentage and INT numbers.

It's like you guys don't understand how football works around here or something.

I mean...how can you not understand an INT percentage lol?

You also have to take into account the strength of schedule and defensive opposition. If my memory serves me right, the Colts had one of the easier schedules out there against weaker defensive teams.

You refer to Russell being a manager. For the second half of the season he was tops in 3rd down conversions and the redzone. Above all QBs. Game managers don't do that.

Also, to dismiss decision making on Luck's throws since he was "making harder throws" is a bit silly. It's a perfect excuse to hide bad throws. Sure the offense predicated it, but it's silly to act like he had no choice.

Bartmuley

Reaction score
hawker84":218ct713 said:
Who cares about Luck and the Colts. Good QB, good team. But they do not have a championship caliber defense. With their D there going to have to beat the GOOD teams in a shoot out, good luck doing that against DEN and NE.

The Colts D is 13th in total D.

The last time the Colts won the SB their D was ranked around 30th.

Also see 2010 Packers.

Baltimore's D was around 12th last season.

And NE? Have you even been watching this season? NE isn't exactly a high powered offense anymore.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Who is this clown on lucks nuts?

You want to see something that is REALLY pathetic for luck....here are the 8 common opponents from last year

Luck
197/364, 54.1% , 2573, 7.1 yards attempt, 14TD, 13INT 74.6 rating
115 rushing yards 1 TD, 3 lost fumbles

Wilson
137/213, 64.3%, 1742, 8.2 yards attempt, 17TD, 1INT, 114.4 rating
306 rushing yards 3TD, 2 lost fumbles

Oh and they also BOTH had 10 30+ yard passes so there goes your luck throws deep balls all over the place theory.

Ya man, I guess having 12 less INT, 3 more passing TD, 10% more accuracy and 39.8 more QB rating is "really close".

Also please tell me how Wilson "game manager" was able to tie the rookie record for TD passes which Manning held if he was "just a game manager" and he did it with WAY less attempts than luck.

hawker84

Reaction score
Bartmuley":2nt8k99w said:
hawker84":2nt8k99w said:
Who cares about Luck and the Colts. Good QB, good team. But they do not have a championship caliber defense. With their D there going to have to beat the GOOD teams in a shoot out, good luck doing that against DEN and NE.

Also see 2010 Packers.

And NE? Have you even been watching this season? NE isn't exactly a high powered offense anymore.

OK great stats, and i still say you face DEN or NE in the playoffs your season is over... all three of your defenses suck, but out of the three QB's, i'll take those two over luck right now.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
hawker84":3uu0mqhr said:
Bartmuley":3uu0mqhr said:
hawker84":3uu0mqhr said:

Also see 2010 Packers.

OK great stats, and i still say you face DEN or NE in the playoffs your season is over...

What about the Chiefs? They are playing some good football

Bartmuley

Reaction score
hawker84":1esqtkx8 said:
Bartmuley":1esqtkx8 said:
hawker84":1esqtkx8 said:

Also see 2010 Packers.

OK great stats, and i still say you face DEN or NE in the playoffs your season is over... all three of your defenses suck, but out of the three QB's, i'll take those two over luck right now.

And I still say you apparently haven't seen NE play this year. They're a good team, but nothing better. And their offense is a joke compared to past NE offenses.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Bartmuley":204ni9cu said:
hawker84":204ni9cu said:
Bartmuley":204ni9cu said:
hawker84":204ni9cu said:

Also see 2010 Packers.

And I still say you apparently haven't seen NE play this year. They're a good team, but nothing better. And their offense is a joke compared to past NE offenses.

As much as I disagree with this guys stance on Luck and Wilson, he is right about the pats. I think they make the playoffs but they will probably be out pretty quickly. They just seem like an average team to me

Bartmuley

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":3lopi1hq said:

You want to see something that is REALLY pathetic for luck....here are the 8 common opponents from last year

Luck

Wilson

Oh and they also BOTH had 10 30+ yard passes so there goes your luck throws deep balls all over the place theory.

Ya man, I guess having 12 less INT, 3 more passing TD, 10% more accuracy and 39.8 more QB rating is "really close".

Also please tell me how Wilson "game manager" was able to tie the rookie record for TD passes which Manning held if he was "just a game manager" and he did it with WAY less attempts than luck.

Lol, you still don't get the concept of "different teams" buddy.

Luck was playing on a team tht was rebuilding and almost entirely new.

Wilson played on a good team, with vets, that needed a QB.

I keep telling you guys, context lol.

And Wilson was a game manager for most of last season, that's just a fact. The Seahawks relied on their D and run game. That's why he averaged (and still averages) less than 200 yards per game.

He's a good QB, but his role wasnt comparable to Lucks last season.

Calm down.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Bartmuley":3n6h8pr6 said:
WilsonMVP":3n6h8pr6 said:

Luck

Wilson

And Wilson was a game manager for most of last season, that's just a fact. The Seahawks relied on their D and run game. That's why he averaged (and still averages) less than 200 yards per game.

Calm down.

Ok but that is the best comparison you can do because they played the same teams. I would say Wilson was a game manager for the first part of the year but the last half of the year he certainly wasnt. And yards dont mean shit. The Seahawks are a run oriented team and also play close so unless they fall behind alot he probably wont be throwing alot, doesnt mean he is a game manager just because he doesnt have that many yards. If a team gets behind by 2 or more TDs they probably arent running the ball they are throwing it over and over.

Also you are basically saying there is no way to compare them so why are you here?

Lazyfingers

Reaction score
What short term memories people have. Does nobody remember Wilson throwing from the pocket behind the biggest (tallest) O-line in college (and bigger than most NFL lines) while at Wisconsin? Wilson scrambles out of necessity when playing behind a patchwork O-Line or play design to take advantage of a strong running game. While at Wisconsin he set the NCAA record for passing efficiency throwing behind an offensive line that dominated. He set the record (since broken) for pass attempts without an interception while at NC State. Quit talking about height and accuracy problems as though he is operating in a vacuum. Football is the ultimate team game and QB play reflects that directly. Wilson protects the ball and has the skill set to make game-changing explosive plays. He won't win every game, and certainly not by himself. But, he will put his team into position to be able to win every game and you will always have hope (if not beat the snot out of the opponent).

As for Luck vs. Wilson, I think Cowherd made a fairly accurate comparison on his show yesterday of Manning vs. Brady and Luck vs. Wilson. That is a good place to be an no need to wring your hands in anxiety. I hope (and believe) Wilson will be like Brady in that argument as he will have more Lombardi trophies when it's all said and done.

Bartmuley

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":8crgamk9 said:
Bartmuley":8crgamk9 said:
WilsonMVP":8crgamk9 said:

Luck

Wilson

Calm down.

Ok but that is the best comparison you can do because they played the same teams. I would say Wilson was a game manager for the first part of the year but the last half of the year he certainly wasnt. And yards dont mean shit. The Seahawks are a run oriented team and also play close so unless they fall behind alot he probably wont be throwing alot, doesnt mean he is a game manager just because he doesnt have that many yards. If a team gets behind by 2 or more TDs they probably arent running the ball they are throwing it over and over.

Also you are basically saying there is no way to compare them so why are you here?

No, I didnt say there was no way to compare them, they're both QBs and they both win, but the fact, and its a fact, Luck played on a team that was starting over. Almost an expansion team. New GM, new coach, new system, new players.

Wilson came in to an established situation. The Seahawks had been rebuilding and were almost there when they drafted Wilson. Great D, great running game, already there.

Wilson is a good QB. He runs too much for me, I don't want my QB running unless they have to or if there is a wide open lane in front of them. QBs are too valuable, look at what happened to RG3 last year.

I've said about ten times why I'm here, I get a kick out of Seahawks fans reaction to the loss and their excuses for it.

Don't worry, I won't be here much longer. I just had the day off and am in North Dakota. You entertain yourself however you can in North Dakota.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
LotsOfLuck":2rx7mvjy said:
DavidSeven":2rx7mvjy said:
LotsOfLuck":2rx7mvjy said:
BTW, Luck got his yards against a far superior defense than Wilson was facing.

That's cool. Wilson was only playing without his starting LT, RT, C, and TE, but I guess that doesn't matter. None of his receivers are on Reggie Wayne's level either. He was also playing on the road. But yeah, just ignore all that and manipulate the narrative how you want.

And Luck was without his starting TE (Allen) and working with his 3rd starting RB (Ballard, Bradshaw, Richardson) of the season in only the fifth game. We could sit here and do this all day.

Like I said earlier, after having gone through close to a decade of Manning/Brady talk, that's all silly debates like this come down to. People looking at selective items and pretending like it has more merit than other selective items that don't fit their agenda. But that's what ESPN has told us sports talk should look like so that how most of us engage in it anymore.

Actually, you can't because its a pretty dumb argument.

1) Ballard, Bradshaw, Richardson, even Donald Brown have been starting RBs in their careers.

You guys traded a 1st round pick for Richardson, who was the best RB talent of his draft.

2. Even without Allen, the team has Colby Fleener. Who been with Luck since Stanford.

Also the drop of from Allen to Fleener isn't the same from Miller, a pro bowler and one of, if not the best blocking TEs in the NFL to Willson, a 5th round rookie TE who was the 2nd TE taken from his school.

Don't act like missing 4/6 of your best O-Line group doesn't affect QB play. Let's not forget that this was our 2nd week of back to back 10 am starts.

If this game was at the Clink, Luck doesn't reach 150 yards and Wilson would have destroyed your defense for 450 total yards and like 4 TDs.

The problem here is the argument between Luck or Wilson and who is better. It is simply Colts fans dismissing the fact one player was a 1st round pick. One player is a 3rd round pick. One player has Reggie Wayne. The other player has Sidney Rice. One player is 6-4, 240 and runs a 4.6 40. The other player is 5-10, 205 with 4.5 speed. One player was handed the starting position in 2012. The other one had to earn it beating out not 1 but 2 other challengers.

One player has makes between 5-6 million. The other makes 500, 000-600,000 thousand.

Luck is doing exactly what he should be doing.

Wilson had defied every logical doubts over his short-comings and has earned everything given to him.

Wilson is better in every statistical category compared to Luck except for Passing Yardage and Turnovers.

Tell me again not who is better or will be better but who has been more amazing.

If you answer anything other than Wilson, you're lying to yourself.

Luck will be a great QB and he is already damn good. But most QBs, extremely talented or not, would have crumbled in Wilson's shoes. Even Luck.

Luck is a QB that comes along once or twice a decade. Wilson isn't born, he is created with hardwork, dedication, and the ability to shrug off doubts about his size to be a NFL QB.

In the 2012 draft who would have thought the 5'10 Wilson would go on to have the most success from that class. Everyone except for Russell Wilson, John Gruden, and John Schnieder probably. Wilson was told he wouldn't make it in the NFL, he even had that doubt when he chose to play baseball before going to Wisconsin.

Yet, here is Wilson, a franchise QB, on one of the best teams in the NFL. A QB who has outplayed the top two picks of the 2012 draft. A QB who was a 3rd round pick, whose meteoric rise led to the Seahawks netting a 5th round pick and a 7th round pick by trading their other QBs.

Wilson's overall net value + statistics trumps anything Luck or RG3 has done so far, if ever just so slightly. If you can't see that, then you're blind.

cesame

Reaction score
No sensible Colts fan can look at their careers to this point and honestly say Luck has been the better player.

Again, Luck was the anointed one coming out and hyped so much that people will always just naturally say Luck is better because ESPN told them so. When you actually look at their careers you see Luck really hasn't done anything to separate himself from Wilson. Russell Wilson put up better numbers in their final year of college and so far Wilson has better career NFL numbers than Luck. Wilson has consistently outperformed Luck. That's a fact.

Tell me why I should think Luck is better than Wilson? I've seen no argument for it thus far.

LotsOfLuck

Reaction score
So you give bonus points to Wilson because nobody expected anything of him coming out of college so he got to join a better team to start with?

cesame

Reaction score
LotsOfLuck":1mrelrn8 said:
So you give bonus points to Wilson because nobody expected anything of him coming out of college so he got to join a better team to start with?

In 2011 I watched Tarvaris Jackson struggle mightily with basically the exact same team. Same RB, offensive line, TE and WR's that Wilson threw to in 2012.

The excuse that Wilson succeeded because he stepped into a great situation is weak. He raised the team to another level with his play, dominated the 2nd half of the season and right into the playoffs. Even though Seattle lost in the NFC division game to Atlanta, Russell Wilson flat out dominated that game once the team woke up.

LotsOfLuck

Reaction score
cesame":1jklnx0a said:
No sensible Colts fan can look at their careers to this point and honestly say Luck has been the better player.

Again, Luck was the anointed one coming out and hyped so much that people will always just naturally say Luck is better because ESPN told them so. When you actually look at their careers you see Luck really hasn't done anything to separate himself from Wilson. Russell Wilson put up better numbers in their final year of college and so far Wilson has better career NFL numbers than Luck. Wilson has consistently outperformed Luck. That's a fact.

Tell me why I should think Luck is better than Wilson? I've seen no argument for it thus far.

2-14

11-4

Joey13091

Reaction score
coltsfan1405":4m6w4rm2 said:
No no no in no way am I calling you irrational for loving your QB you would be if you didn't im just saying that you would be irrational for saying you wouldn't be happy with having luck also. And we kept manning for that long we can keep luck for that long as well

Nobody one can really make that judgment I agree.

We'll see who has the most rings at the end of their careers.

cesame

Reaction score
2nd half of last season - "Game Manager" Russell Wilson

120 QB Rating
67% completion
16 TD
2 INT
1652 passing yards
9.0 Y/A
361 rushing yards