Browns shopping Josh Gordon

themunn

Reaction score
DavidSeven":34zj9w4q said:
themunn":34zj9w4q said:
And yet we traded our first round pick for a WR when we had Tate, Rice and Baldwin and spent our second on a running back when we have Lynch and Turbin.

2 of our starting O-Linemen were picked up midseason off waivers, another was an undrafted free agent.

Gordon had more yards last season than any Seattle WR has had in the last 4 years - as a rookie playing for the Browns.

Again, he got twice as many targets as Rice and barely surpassed him in overall yards. Gordon's catch rate according to Football Outsiders last year was 53%. Rice's was 62%; Tate was at 69%. We traded a #1 for Harvin because he's a dynamic and unique player in this league. He has value as a receiver, runner and returner. I think Gordon is a good player, but he's not a unique one.

2012 FO Adjusted WR rankings: Rice #14, Tate #19, Gordon #51.

FO say themselves on the rankings page, "We cannot yet fully separate the performance of a receiver from the performance of his quarterback. Be aware that one will affect the other."
So unless you want to say Brandon Weeden (who was ranked below all but the following QBs in 2012: Sanchez, Lindley, Skelton, Quinn Cassell), is equal to Russell Wilson, of course his DYOA will be lower.
And furthermore, defenses didn't have to account for the 2nd ranked RB in the league in Lynch, Richardson was the 37th of 42 RBs with over 100 carries.

Not to mention the fact that he didn't play in 2011 and essentially was 2 years out of football last year.

If Gordon didn't have the off-field problems every single team in the league would give up a 1st for him

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3moljk4w said:
I would give up the 32nd pick for him right now.

I would as well. If he goes for a 2nd or a 3rd, a lot of GMs are going to be kicking themselves shortly thereafter.

Dtowers

Reaction score
What happens when he gets dinged again though and is out for a year?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
kearly":3nt6v4hg said:
The only reason Lombardi is shopping this guy is because he will do whatever it takes to get Johnny Football.

Supposedly it's not just the suspension thing. He's also lazy in practice, and the Browns don't think he has even remotely learned his lesson since the suspension (was still out partying all the time even after he got busted).

I guess it kinda makes sense, considering they got him for 2nd rounder, he has looked all-world on the field, and they still can't get a 2nd rounder back for him. Definitely more going on, IMO.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Our second for him and their 3rd! Let do it! (If Pete and John are okay with it I'm on board-not likely.)

No way Seattle bites on that, I like Gordon's game but I agree something else is going on with him. Titus Young type of head case.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Good heavens, that guy loves to burn linebackers on crossing routes. Wilson would love throwing to that.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Hawks should take the chance... Just sayin' maybe try to sweeten the deal a little more due to his league issues.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
TBH, also probably worth saying that all of this is probably much ado about nothing anyway.

All of these "new" reports about the Browns wanting a 2nd rounder for Gordon are old news from mid-September that finally got leaked.

Richardson was traded and teams were talking to the Browns about Gordon when the Browns were 0-2.

The Browns are now 3-2. IMO they could have traded him then, but they'd get too much blowback from the fanbase now that they've won three straight since he has been back and are in second place in the division. I'd be shocked if they were actually still trying to move him right now.

THUGCAPS

Reaction score
Hmmmmm would you rather have a guy with some issues that is a proven playmaker, or another James Carpenter, John Moffitt type pick? That's how i'm looking at it, so I say GET HIM BEFORE THE NINERS DO

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
This is our best shot at winning the Superbowl this franchise has ever had. We need to do everything possible to increase our chances of winning and trading for Gordon would do it.

Sidney Rice has been abysmal and Josh Gordon would be great to take his spot. Gordon carries a risk but the rewards are far greater for us especially this year. This NEEDS to happen. We need a #1 WR that wilson can throw to all day if he's on man coverage.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
I'll take Tony G from the Falcons over Gordon on a short contract. After last night I'm guessing he may want out of ATL. Plus, he'd require less compensation in a trade.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It's pretty obvious the Browns have intentionally leaked what they want for him to the media. They have no reason to trade him and yet they still don't want him. If any of the 32 GMs in the NFL think he's worth a 2nd, then he'll be had for a 2nd. I think he's a good player, but I think people on this forum are overrating him. We'll see who the GMs of the league agree with.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3iccxj17 said:
It's pretty obvious the Browns have intentionally leaked what they want for him to the media. They have no reason to trade him and yet they still don't want him. If any of the 32 GMs in the NFL think he's worth a 2nd, then he'll be had for a 2nd. I think he's a good player, but I think people on this forum are overrating him. We'll see who the GMs of the league agree with.

It just means he might be available for even less if the Browns are determined to move him.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1l1j7uzo said:
It's pretty obvious the Browns have intentionally leaked what they want for him to the media.

Don't think so at all. They were trying to trade him over three weeks ago. Emailing 31 GMs is easier and more direct than leaking what you want to the media and waiting for the GMs you could have called or emailed to read it. When this came out within the articles themselves it was reported as old news, the headlines just made it seem current to attract more eyeballs.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3mbk0kyi said:
DavidSeven":3mbk0kyi said:
It's pretty obvious the Browns have intentionally leaked what they want for him to the media.

Don't think so at all. They were trying to trade him over three weeks ago. Emailing 31 GMs is easier and more direct than leaking what you want to the media and waiting for the GMs you could have called or emailed to read it. When this came out within the articles themselves it was reported as old news, the headlines just made it seem current to attract more eyeballs.

It's about leverage. Sending a blast e-mail to NFL execs is going to make you look desperate and is going to set off alarm bells to anyone reading it. Leaking it to the media makes it look like you're not necessarily in a hurry to ship the player out (even though you probably are). This matters in terms of the compensation you're likely to receive.