Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck

LotsOfLuck

Reaction score
DavidSeven":12sdlpe7 said:
LotsOfLuck":12sdlpe7 said:
BTW, Luck got his yards against a far superior defense than Wilson was facing.

That's cool. Wilson was only playing without his starting LT, RT, C, and TE, but I guess that doesn't matter. None of his receivers are on Reggie Wayne's level either. He was also playing on the road. But yeah, just ignore all that and manipulate the narrative how you want.

And Luck was without his starting TE (Allen) and working with his 3rd starting RB (Ballard, Bradshaw, Richardson) of the season in only the fifth game. We could sit here and do this all day.

Like I said earlier, after having gone through close to a decade of Manning/Brady talk, that's all silly debates like this come down to. People looking at selective items and pretending like it has more merit than other selective items that don't fit their agenda. But that's what ESPN has told us sports talk should look like so that how most of us engage in it anymore.

pehawk

Reaction score
LotsofLuck, you have to understand we have no trophies up here. And, there's a perceived slight in any draft pick, article, post or game. Think short-man complex, for an entire fanbase. Screwed over in SBXL, Vinnie's helmet, etc all adds to that. With that, the "Luck's overrated" thing's been a constant theme.

Also, we've never had a franchise QB. Never. Hass was good, but he also threw behind the Great Wall of China equipped with a wicked play-caller (for his time). So, this is new for us. All of us.

It's getting better. And, once there's a Lombardi it'll all melt away.

XOXO

Jeff George

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
LotsOfLuck":2qeyrvoj said:
This continues to be the only place where I even see people discussing this.

Wilson has better numbers in almost every category dating back to their beginnings in the NFL.

It also needs to be noted Wilson has a higher ceiling than Luck and to say he got outplayed by Luck yesterday would be silly considering he ran for over 100 yards, lol.

I'd rather have Wilson, Luck wouldn't survive on our team anyway.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
LotsOfLuck":3kv3zuql said:
Like I said earlier, after having gone through close to a decade of Manning/Brady talk, that's all silly debates like this come down to. People looking at selective items and pretending like it has more merit than other selective items that don't fit their agenda. But that's what ESPN has told us sports talk should look like so that how most of us engage in it anymore.

This exactly. Both great Qb's and I would say their definitely the top 2 of the younger QB generation. Wouldn't trade our QB for theirs and I'm sure they wouldn't trade theirs for ours. I know he's underrated athletically, but I feel like Luck would die behind our oline, well most Qb's would probably too though. People are just goona nit pick their items to support their agenda. Hard to say who's better because although they have certain aspects that one is better than the other, it's all pretty close and I don't think one is clearly by far better than the other.

coltsfan1405

Reaction score
For anyone to say that our Oline is better is a pure joke, Last year luck got no protection at all and lead us to the playoffs so saying he would die behind your oline is purely irrational. I am not discounting RW's abilities he's a good qb but saying luck isn't and you wouldn't at least be TEMPTED to take him over RW is not realistic

SonicHawk

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":vmj4a6xh said:
LotsOfLuck":vmj4a6xh said:
This continues to be the only place where I even see people discussing this.

Wilson has better numbers in almost every category dating back to their beginnings in the NFL.

It also needs to be noted Wilson has a higher ceiling than Luck and to say he got outplayed by Luck yesterday would be silly considering he ran for over 100 yards, lol.

I'd rather have Wilson, Luck wouldn't survive on our team anyway.

Eh, Luck would be fine. He has great escapability as well. I'd like to see Wilson throwing to a guy like Reggie Wayne though.

coltsfan1405

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I also has to say luck hits his man 95 percent of the time where I saw RW miss at least 2 deep shots that would have been touchdowns

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
coltsfan1405":3fc8fzym said:
lol im sorry but Wilson is not on lucks level VERY close but just not yet I hope we see you guys in the superbowl cause it will be a very good game and on neutral grounds in NY

Depends on what you mean by "level," as both players bring something different to the position.

Don't get me wrong, I think Luck is the best QB to come out of college since Elway. But he doesn't have the allusiveness of Wilson. Luck is very fast north and south for a QB, but as far as scrambling for 15 yards and giving opposing defenses nightmares with BOTH his arms and legs? I give the edge to Wilson.

Overall accuracy I give the edge to Luck though. The dude throws dimes.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Well it's all very subjective, not completely irrational. Would I take Luck over Wilson, maybe. I don't know if he'll be better, but if he is, I would definitely love to have him, but I just don't know if he'll be better. Would I be tempted to try a switch to see though? Definitely.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
coltsfan1405":wfrngid0 said:
lol im sorry but Wilson is not on lucks level VERY close but just not yet I hope we see you guys in the superbowl cause it will be a very good game and on neutral grounds in NY

Depends on what you mean by "level," as both players bring something different to the position.

Don't get me wrong, I think Luck is the best QB to come out of college since Elway. But he doesn't have the allusiveness of Wilson. Luck is very fast north and south for a QB, but as far as scrambling for 15 yards and giving opposing defenses nightmares with BOTH his arms and legs? I give the edge to Wilson.

Overall accuracy I give the edge to Luck though. The dude throws dimes.

bellingerga

Reaction score
coltsfan1405":1wuxzg26 said:

Luck isn't on Wilsons level, you mean?

If luck was passing behind our Oline he would have died yesterday.

coltsfan1405

Reaction score
That's all im saying don't say you would never take luck cause that's irrational someday I may be saying I wish we took RW who knows but to say right now that Luck is outright worse than RW is not rational

coltsfan1405

Reaction score
Lol I love how you would diss your own team to try to prove a point? basically saying out oline is better thanks i'll take the compliment

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Luck is definitely not worse, but I would also say Wilson is definitely not worse either. Both have different circumstances and obstacles to over come. Really hard to judge each of them objectively. Obviously his point wasn't to diss the team, but we're also not goona act like our oline is good right now. It's missing 2 pro bowlers and our starting RT, so it's definitely not goona look the same with patchwork lineman. You can the context for however you please.

Bipolar

Reaction score
Andrew Luck is as good as advertised. in 2-3 years he will be the best QB among his generation, having Aaron Rodgers type of upside.

Russell Wilson is FAR greater than advertised and should have been a top 15 draft pick. Lucky us :)! Other than that, he is probably a top 10 QB caliber of a player, and sort of reminds me on Cam Newton.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
I still don't see why you think I am irrational if I don't want Luck over Wilson. Or am I misunderstanding? Literally, no part of me wants Luck over Wilson. None. Zero. Nada. Does that mean I think Wilson is better or that I hate Luck? I don't think so. I am happy with our QB, and it has to do with more than QB play on the field. I think Luck leaves Indy at some point in his career. Maybe Wilson leaves eventually too, but I think we have a better chance of having RW forever than Indy has of keeping Luck forever. I have no evidence to back that claim, mind you, none. I'm just happy with our guy. Call me crazy.

coltsfan1405

Reaction score
No no no in no way am I calling you irrational for loving your QB you would be if you didn't im just saying that you would be irrational for saying you wouldn't be happy with having luck also. And we kept manning for that long we can keep luck for that long as well

General Manager

Reaction score
aawolf":27lubi6c said:
I thought I'd make a separate thread on this considering it has been a topic of conversation throughout the week. I know you all were watching how they performed in this game, as I was. With all of the hype Luck has been given throughout the draft and throughout his career, and all the ball-licking commentary praising Luck that was going on throughout the broadcast, it is clear that Luck is more highly regarded across the country than Russell Wilson. But, by any statistical measure, including total wins, completion percentage, TDs, total TDs, and QBR, Russell Wilson is clearly the superior QB.

However, Luck got the one statistic that truly mattered yesterday, when he and the Colts beat the Wilson-led Seahawks. While Luck played great, I sense from a lot of .netters that they are buying into the hype that Luck is a superior QB. If you just focus on the fact that Luck won, he played better. However, having saw the game, it was clear to me that Wilson actually played better on the field, and if not for a few costly penalties and a drop by a wide-open Lynch, we would have won. Lets look at the stats:

RW: Passing: 15-31, 210 yds; Rushing: 13 carries, 102 yds; Total yds: 312
Luck: Passing: 16-29, 229 yds; Rushing: 4 carries, 9 yds; Total yds: 236

RUSSELL WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR MORE TOTAL YARDS THAN ANDREW LUCK!!

Total net yards from both teams:
Seahawks: 423
Colts: 317

Russell Wilson was responsible for 5 LESS YARDS THAN THE ENTIRE COLTS OFFENSE!

See third down conversions please. That's where this game was lost when you boil it down to it's component parts that and the bad calls.

lobohawk

Reaction score
A lot of the pushback against Luck is due to the overexposure in the media and the constant refrain of him being "the" prototype. This leads to reporting that washes over mistakes and defers questionable play to the fault of his teammates.

Is a great young QB? Yup.
Does he have a bright future? Yup.
Expect he'll be top 5 soon and hang out there for a long time.

No need to fluff things to the extreme. It'll be interesting watching these two as the years go by. Luck has worked hard and seems to put in the effort to maximize his skills. And yet, he's always been handed the keys to the car. Top 5 QB coming out of High School. Next step, starting at Stanford. Then picked first and handed his job at the Colts. Nothing wrong with that, but he's never had to fight for the position.

In Russell's case he's always had to fight for his position, regardless how well he's played. Meaning his mindset must be somewhat linked to the idea that he HAS to improve or everything will be taken away. Has Luck ever had to worry about the repercussions from having a bad game? As competitive as Luck may be, I have to give Russ the edge in this area (drive to get better). It's similar to what Rodgers had to go through to get to GB (fight or fail).

Plus Russell has bigger hands. :biggthumpup: