Eric Wood believes hit on Manuel was intended to injure him

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
  • Many of you will have seen the hit that is being talked about in the media today. It does look as though it was a clean hit, and even some Bills players have come out and said so. One player out in Buffalo didn't like ith though. Eric Wood believes that the Browns players were deliberatley trying to injure their QB.
    http://www.bubblews.com/news/1268618-br ... yer-injury
    csjwilkinson
    NET Practice Squad

• That's BS. Go up high and he would've been flagged. You would QB's would learn from RG3.Slide or get out of bounds. On that play, Manuel had the 1st down and then some. He needed to just step out of bounds.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• -The Glove- wrote:That's BS. Go up high and he would've been flagged. You would QB's would learn from RG3.Slide or get out of bounds. On that play, Manuel had the 1st down and then some. He needed to just step out of bounds.

This. Why give him a chance to hurt you?
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• DangeRuss should hold a QB running camp and invite the other 31 starting QBs in the league to it during this upcoming offseason. Nobody runs with a better (or even equal) combination of safety and effectiveness than our own beloved #3.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• I thought Wood was mad at how the Browns acted after Manuel was hurt? Another story had Wood saying he was fine with the hit, it was the smack talk Ward was saying afterwards that had him call the Browns "classless".

The injury is on Manuel for trying to take just that extra little bit instead of stepping out of bounds after he got the first down by 3 yds.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• After reading quotes from Wood I understand where he's coming from. He said TJ Ward yelled at Kiko (college teammates), "Hey Kiko, I told you we were gonna get him!" Now thats messed up. And also Tashaun Gilson, who made the tackle, celebrated after the hit. Looks odd since EJ got the 1st down and more.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• Yea, the taunting thing, standing over him yelling while he's in pain grasping his knee is really lame.

But looked like a normal hit to me, not intentional.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• I agree, I happened to be watching the game at that point and didn't even think he got hit that hard.

It was plainly a clean hit, I didn't hear any of the comments around the teams on TV tho.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• RolandDeschain wrote:DangeRuss should hold a QB running camp and invite the other 31 starting QBs in the league to it during this upcoming offseason. Nobody runs with a better (or even equal) combination of safety and effectiveness than our own beloved #3.

I think Kapernick is the best runner of all QB's. + I think he's faster than RW.
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran

• Carmon1274 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:DangeRuss should hold a QB running camp and invite the other 31 starting QBs in the league to it during this upcoming offseason. Nobody runs with a better (or even equal) combination of safety and effectiveness than our own beloved #3.

I think Kapernick is the best runner of all QB's. + I think he's faster than RW.

He's faster in a straight line...barely...but we're talking about smart, effective running. He knows when to slide and when to go out of bounds. He never takes unnecessary huge hits. Plus he's a much better scrambler then Kaep.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• Carmon1274 wrote:I think Kapernick is the best runner of all QB's. + I think he's faster than RW.

He's not even close to having the scrambling ability of Wilson in the backfield, and Kaepernick does not protect himself like Wilson does. Disagree? Give some evidence.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Carmon1274 wrote:I think Kapernick is the best runner of all QB's. + I think he's faster than RW.

He's not even close to having the scrambling ability of Wilson in the backfield, and Kaepernick does not protect himself like Wilson does. Disagree? Give some evidence.

Are you talking about running out of the pocket to give some time, or are you talking about running and getting a first down and more?
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran

• -The Glove- wrote:
    Carmon1274 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:DangeRuss should hold a QB running camp and invite the other 31 starting QBs in the league to it during this upcoming offseason. Nobody runs with a better (or even equal) combination of safety and effectiveness than our own beloved #3.

He's faster in a straight line...barely...but we're talking about smart, effective running. He knows when to slide and when to go out of bounds. He never takes unnecessary huge hits. Plus he's a much better scrambler then Kaep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zwy7TO5So

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jssnnWrD6lk

Is this a straight line?
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran

• Engaged in a similar argument with a 9er bud, I went back and looked at a bunch of film on Kaep. My bro was correct. I was amazed at how infrequently Kaep actually gets hit. Disappointed, as well.

He is not the cerebral scrambler RW is, but his longer legs allows him to cover much more ground, obviously in a shorter space of time. BUT...those same long legs make him much more vulnerable. Just because he's been the Floyd Mayweather of QBs (thus far), doesn't mean that trend will last forever. Especially with desperation already setting in. ; )
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• BTW, I thought the hit was clean and know that Tashaun Gilson is a punk. I hope someone does some celebrating over his crumpled body sooner than later. He will be hearing from the league today.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• I agree that RW runs out of pocket efficent, and its hard for the D to tackle him because he's so small and fast.

So I'd say RW runs better out of the pocket, trying to give time.
    Kap runs faster and gain more yards.

Here's a clip of RW running
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhyhLCTrHQg

Now I'd say both QB's don't run effectively because they both get HIT a lot. If you watch the clip of RW running, you will see many hits that he took.
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran

• Carmon1274 wrote:
    -The Glove- wrote:
    Carmon1274 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zwy7TO5So

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jssnnWrD6lk

Is this a straight line?

Are they racing? RW is a better scrambler. The Benny Hill play against the Niners last year was proof and the Texans game was proof. No other QB can evade pressure like that. And yes that has a lot to do with his size.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• HawkWow wrote:Engaged in a similar argument with a 9er bud, I went back and looked at a bunch of film on Kaep. My bro was correct. I was amazed at how infrequently Kaep actually gets hit. Disappointed, as well.

He is not the cerebral scrambler RW is, but his longer legs allows him to cover much more ground, obviously in a shorter space of time. BUT...those same long legs make him much more vulnerable. Just because he's been the Floyd Mayweather of QBs (thus far), doesn't mean that trend will last forever. Especially with desperation already setting in. ; )

Kap is faster than most LBs/DE's.

Thats why he ran for almost 200 yards in Playoffs against the Packers. But I believe the Packers realize that he runs by the left and right sideline, so in the first 49ers game he only rushed for 30 yards. And thats where Boldin and VD beat the Pack.

I think you need a S with a 4.2 or 4.3 that can chase after him.
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran

• @ The Glove I already said that RW is better getting out of the pocket and buying time. But Kap is faster running for a TD in the endzone.
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran

• Carmon1274 wrote:@ The Glove I already said that RW is better getting out of the pocket and buying time. But Kap is faster running for a TD in the endzone.

And I agreed...he's slightly faster going forward
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• Carmon1274 wrote:
    HawkWow wrote:Engaged in a similar argument with a 9er bud, I went back and looked at a bunch of film on Kaep. My bro was correct. I was amazed at how infrequently Kaep actually gets hit. Disappointed, as well.

Thats why he ran for almost 200 yards in Playoffs against the Packers. But I believe the Packers realize that he runs by the left and right sideline, so in the first 49ers game he only rushed for 30 yards. And thats where Boldin and VD beat the Pack.

But that was against the Pack. Not knocking the Packers, they are a real good team, but like we have yours, your 9ers have the Packers number. Other than GB and Atl, you've really not beat anyone else of note in quite some time. And I am one that believes the reason is in your own words, if Kaep isn't rushing for huge yards, you guys are going to have difficulty beating good defenses with him @ QB. This weekend will be the best team you've faced this year not named Seattle. Huge test for your team (as you know).

BTW, if I were Eric Wood, I'd change my first name to Epic. Why not?
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• Carmon1274 wrote:
    HawkWow wrote:Engaged in a similar argument with a 9er bud, I went back and looked at a bunch of film on Kaep. My bro was correct. I was amazed at how infrequently Kaep actually gets hit. Disappointed, as well.

Or Seattle's defense. They do pretty good against him.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• Wilson is a Scrambler (Steve Young,Tarkenton)

Kaep is a Runner (Vick)

Both can win games and both can take games over. With Wilson you have to be afraid of the length of the play and breakdowns while he constantly looks down field, with Kaep you have to respect his speed as a runner and his cannon of an arm when he has a man open.

I love both QBs and would be fine with either of them in Seattle although I feel Kaep is 2 years or so from being a top 3 QB where Wilson should finish a steady 6-9 his whole career and that's i great for our offensive style.

Kaep resembles Vick in so many ways (Arm, Speed, Game Changer) But it took Vick years to develope to the point he was when he had that major year in Philly. Wilson will be the steady Eddy with upside. Think Dilfer but with Talent and speed.

Wilson will win more games and possibly Championships, but they should both have fine careers if they work on Progression <Kaep> and scrambling more when it is open <Wilson>

Back to the OP, I think the hit looked fine, but the trash talking after the play calls into question the purpose of the hit.
    [size=50]“Give me your Loud, your Proud,
    Your Jacked Up masses yearning to Scream free,
    The Winning refuse of your Sea Town shore.
    Send these, the Passionate, Loyal, to me:
    I lift my 12 Flag beside the Lombardi.”

― Emma Lazarus (If she was a 12) By BraHn
    [/size]
    Brahn
    NET Veteran

• HawkWow wrote:
    Carmon1274 wrote:

But that was against the Pack. Not knocking the Packers, they are a real good team, but like we have yours, your 9ers have the Packers number. Other than GB and Atl, you've really not beat anyone else of note in quite some time. And I am one that believes the reason is in your own words, if Kaep isn't rushing for huge yards, you guys are going to have difficulty beating good defenses with him @ QB. This weekend will be the best team you've faced this year not named Seattle. Huge test for your team (as you know).

You 49er fans forgot about the win against bears 32-7 and the NO game 31-21
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran

• HawkWow wrote:Engaged in a similar argument with a 9er bud, I went back and looked at a bunch of film on Kaep. My bro was correct. I was amazed at how infrequently Kaep actually gets hit. Disappointed, as well.

Did you look at ability to throw when scrambling? That is where RW wins the matchup. Kaep is as good or better than RW at avoiding hits but ugly throws while moving
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• This year Kap has sucked when throwing period. (It is Kap when shortened by the way, via Kap on Twitter.) It's picky I know.
    csjwilkinson
    NET Practice Squad

• If anyone has room to complain, its the Titans. That hit on Locker was absolute garbage.
    look@dafilm
    NET Practice Squad

• csjwilkinson wrote:This year Kap has sucked when throwing period. (It is Kap when shortened by the way, via Kap on Twitter.) It's picky I know.

His name is spelled Kaepernick...not too unreasonable for many to call him Kaep
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:

Did you look at ability to throw when scrambling? That is where RW wins the matchup. Kaep is as good or better than RW at avoiding hits but ugly throws while moving

No question. I am more comparing the two as RBs than QBs (in this context). There is no comparison between the two when throwing the rock. Either from the pocket, or outside the pocket. Kaep, IMO, is not yet an NFL caliber QB. RW is top 10.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• Carmon1274 wrote:
    HawkWow wrote:
    Carmon1274 wrote:

You 49er fans forgot about the win against bears 32-7 and the NO game 31-21

What "49er fans" would you be referring to with this post? I stuck up for Kaep's ability to escape the big hit, that sure as hell don't make me a fan. I am a fan of the 9ers, and Kaep, the same as I am a fan of the Cowboys and Romo. I am giddy with both team's chosen QBs. Giddy.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• -The Glove- wrote:
    csjwilkinson wrote:This year Kap has sucked when throwing period. (It is Kap when shortened by the way, via Kap on Twitter.) It's picky I know.

His name is spelled Kaepernick...not too unreasonable for many to call him Kaep

Papaki
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

• Wasn't Kaepernick's combine 40 time only .01 faster than Russell's? Considering Kap's height/stride advantage, I'd say that's quite impressive for Russ.

Edit: It was .02 difference. 4.53 for Kap, 4.55 for Russ.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• Kaepernick is sort of like a real life Forrest Gump. He's really fast, dumb, and just seems to end up in amazing situations (like the Superb Owl and McDowell's commercials) .
    minormillikin
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:53 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information