For all the past Matt Flynn supporters

kearly

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1ee4qrh2 said:
kearly":1ee4qrh2 said:
For the record, I was in Wilson's corner from day one. From before day one.

Yes, we know.

You know, I've got 8500 posts here, and I've never once made a random smart ass remark to hurt anyone else. It's probably trending 500 to 0 right now against my favor, and it sucks. You probably knew I didn't mean it that way, but you still had to say that. Lame.

Jeez, you step on either side of the line and you still get waxed sometimes. I only meant that statement as a reminder that you don't have to be a Flynn lover to say objectively positive things about him. I got over gloating about Wilson ages ago when his success was old news. Sometimes I hate this place.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
kearly":1yb9atq5 said:
-The Glove-":1yb9atq5 said:
kearly":1yb9atq5 said:
For the record, I was in Wilson's corner from day one. From before day one.

Yes, we know.

You know, I've got 8500 posts here, and I've never once made a random smart ass remark to hurt anyone else. It's probably trending 500 to 0 right now against my favor, and it sucks. You probably knew I didn't mean it that way, but you still had to say that. Lame.

Jeez, you step on either side of the line and you still get waxed sometimes. I only meant that statement as a reminder that you don't have to be a Flynn lover to say objectively positive things about him. I got over gloating about Wilson ages ago when his success was old news. Sometimes I hate this place.
Relax. It was a joke

kearly

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":207bzg8z said:
kearly":207bzg8z said:
No, it wasn't.

Kip, you bring it up so often you should be able to get teased about it without getting pissed.

In this case, it was just to show which side I'm on, nothing more. In fact, just about every time I bring up Wilson, it's as context for a statement that follows.

What pisses me off is the totally unjustified hate and disrespect I get. You have no idea. The target on my back got old a long time ago. My ability to endure it is waning. And I'm not talking about typical message board stuff, but disrespect I get out of jealousy or because of perceptions people have specific to me. I try to be nice to people. Doesn't matter. Assholes abound. And I'm (expletive) sick of it. The last 12 months or so I've given serious thought to quitting .net over it. People think I get "special" treatment, but it's really that I get treated especially bad by jerks.

I hope anyone reading this understands the difference between wanting respect and wanting to avoid disrespect. I don't care if people think I'm awesome or think I suck, but in both cases I think I'd rather they just keep those thoughts to themselves. Even people that praise me are really just adding fuel to the fire for hater assholes.

Anyway, I don't know how much longer I'll be here. But I'll tell you this, if someone is an asshole to me and I sense it's because of a deep seeded resentment, and not innocent poking fun, I'm through shrugging it off and cracking a smile. I've officially lost the ability to put up with it.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
kearly":1s4l4i3v said:
Sarlacc83":1s4l4i3v said:
kearly":1s4l4i3v said:
No, it wasn't.

Kip, you bring it up so often you should be able to get teased about it without getting pissed.

In this case, it was just to show which side I'm on, nothing more. In fact, just about every time I bring up Wilson, it's as context for a statement that follows.

What pisses me off is the totally unjustified hate and disrespect I get. You have no idea. The target on my back got old a long time ago. My ability to endure it is waning. And I'm not talking about typical message board stuff, but disrespect I get out of jealousy or because of perceptions people have specific to me. I try to be nice to people. Doesn't matter. Assholes abound. And I'm (expletive) sick of it. The last 12 months or so I've given serious thought to quitting .net over it. People think I get "special" treatment, but it's really that I get treated especially bad by jerks.

I hope anyone reading this understands the difference between wanting respect and wanting to avoid disrespect. I don't care if people think I'm awesome or think I suck, but in both cases I think I'd rather they just keep those thoughts to themselves. Even people that praise me are really just adding fuel to the fire for hater assholes.

Anyway, I don't know how much longer I'll be here. But I'll tell you this, if someone is an asshole to me and I sense it's because of a deep seeded resentment, and not innocent poking fun, I'm through shrugging it off and cracking a smile. I've officially lost the ability to put up with it.

That's a huge bummer, though I'm not surprised. You should probably start making more liberal use of the ignore button, then. You can either let the small minded people get to you, or you can let them talk at themselves. I think the latter would be better for your blood pressure.

That said, some people screw up and the typing comes out in an unintended way. I don't think most of us really have any feel for the type of derision you get, or if we do, then there are other people here who are quick to tell them to shut their pie holes. You can't let the good get overrun by a few bad posters, and if this board had a like system, I'm sure you'd have a 20 to 1 like to post ratio, if not higher. Edit: You don't get good at something without a lot of people trying to tear you down. See, Wilson, Russell or Seahawks, Seattle: 2013 season. :)

pehawk

Reaction score
Wow, really? This stuff gets out of control when people take themselves too seriously or cant laugh at themselves.

Kearly, I think you're taking it wrong. At least, IMO. I didn't read The Glove's comment as malicious, at all. If it was me, I'd be honored that The Glove said that.

My own arrogance doesn't make me fall over myself praising you, like a lot of others. But, you're assessment of Wilson was the exact opposite of what most would do in your "position". Far too often, people take the pessimistic route, because it's safe. There's 32 teams and even more draft prospects, hedging your bets with "tempered enthusiasm" is the safest route. You didn't do that with Wilson. You we're closer to me than yourself with that assessment, "emotion AND logic". It permanently elevated you, IMO.

Busting balls is a sign of respect and camaraderie, for a lot of people. These comments we're respect.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
pehawk":10nlx5gp said:
Wow, really? This stuff gets out of control when people take themselves too seriously or cant laugh at themselves.

Kearly, I think you're taking it wrong. At least, IMO. I didn't read The Glove's comment as malicious, at all. If it was me, I'd be honored that The Glove said that.

My own arrogance doesn't make me fall over myself praising you, like a lot of others. But, you're assessment of Wilson was the exact opposite of what most would do in your "position". Far too often, people take the pessimistic route, because it's safe. There's 32 teams and even more draft prospects, hedging your bets with "tempered enthusiasm" is the safest route. You didn't do that with Wilson. You we're closer to me than yourself with that assessment, "emotion AND logic". It permanently elevated you, IMO.

Busting balls is a sign of respect and camaraderie, for a lot of people. These comments we're respect.

Exactly...if I wanted to really be a smartass I would've added a little more to it than that little comment.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
kearly":2yoorblm said:
Sarlacc83":2yoorblm said:
kearly":2yoorblm said:
No, it wasn't.

Wow. You're completely taking my comment too seriously. I have nothing but respect for your post game "Random Thoughts". It's something I look forward to every week. One should be able to laugh at him/herself.

I'd understand your reaction if I had a history of disrespecting you (I mean yeah I've disagreed with you many a times) but I haven't and I don't.

pehawk

Reaction score
If there's anything to laugh at here; its certain members masking their contempt for Wilson and adoration for Flynn, with thin excuses.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
One thing I've noticed being active on Twitter... even if you get 50 people giving you praise, you'll remember the one guy who gives you crap.

You don't know that person. If you ever bumped into them in 'real life' they wouldn't say anything.

But it sticks.

I sympathise with Kip here because when you put a lot of time and effort into your work, you want that to at least be appreciated even if ultimately the person disagrees with you.

But in reality, it's always the minority. Instead of letting the negativity get to you, it's important to remember the many, many more people praising what you do.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Flynn for whatever reason seems to be a at best a backup. It is odd he played so poorly. Yes, it's a bad team with a bad line but it was last year as well ; Palmer passed for a ton of yards.

As far a snide remarks, etc remember on a forum you can't see the person while your intention maybe to needle someone it can come across differently.
People put stuff that they would never say to someone's face. It really is about respect IMO. Opinions are individual and are varied. That's is what makes the discussions fun and interesting. Respect that.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
kearly":g2uwqg7x said:
Sarlacc83":g2uwqg7x said:
kearly":g2uwqg7x said:
No, it wasn't.

Wow, I would really miss you around here Kip, but I have to say, compare it to the shitstorm I took for saying we should have started Flynn instead of Wilson to give Wilson time to learn without sacrificing the season. Not one person took it into context. Instead, I'm labelled a Wilson hater and Flynn lover. Never mind that for most of the offseason I criticized Flynns "Kilmeresque" passes and went against popular - at the time it was a popular misconception -opinion that Flynn had a strong arm. My feeling was simply the guy could be a better game manager until Wilson was ready to be our franchise QB. That shoving Wilson in too soon was going to cost us a Super Bowl.

And Wilson's learning curve DID cost us a game at the minimum and guess what that game meant? HFA. No trip to Washington to bust Clems leg. IF we went to ATlanta it wouldn't have been 10AM. So yeah, starting Wilson out the gate meant no Super Bowl.

Assuming Flynn was a decent QB. We could see Wilson's learning curve was costing us the division, we didn't know if Flynn would but one would assume Pete didn't pay him $10 million to SUCK.

But once Wilson PROVED he could lead this team in the New England game then it all became moot.

And yet still, a year later, Flynn fails in Oakland, the place where QB careers go to die, and the Flynn haters can't wait to come out and crow and laugh it up like it proves a damned thing.

And YOU'RE pissed because of a handful of words The Glove said? Kip, you don't know what taking heat is. You really are beloved around here. Don't be stupid and let the negativity drive you away from something you have an obvious talent at.

I'd lend you some of my thick skin, but it's seared on and I think it's a tad radioactive.

mrblitz

Reaction score
from the touchdown-fest at detroit, it looked like flynn could put the ball in the breadbasket downfield with big, looping passes like old-time dave krieg; or maybe kind of like rex grossman, but without the ints (at least on that day). so flynn looked pretty good.

then, while we were waiting for the draft, some people started writing about wilson here, and i was like, 'cool... monitor the situation'. on draft day, i was still trying to wrap my mind around the irvin pick, and wasn't thinking of wilson by the time we drafted him in the 3rd. but at that moment, i was like, 'yeah!'

from early on, it was clear that wilson just had 'it' while flynn on the other hand would give you a roughly 1:1 td:int ratio at best. somewhere in the range of krieg/hasselbeck/grossman; maybe not with the crisp side outs like hass, but with a similar overall arm strength to these 3, with better deep accuracy than hass.

then flynn started whining and moping, and most everyone knew that russell was the guy. from the beginning, russell has shown a certain derring-do, verve, tenacity, zeal, and zest, with the mobility and arm, and being a great student of the game; to really be something special at the qb position.

it sounds like flynn continues to mope at oakland. at least he got some millions. so he did ok financially.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Wilson was dropping passes over linebackers and in front of safeties, ON THE RUN, as of the first preseason game against Tennessee. Flynn never had the arm strength to do that. The ironic thing is that Wilson is just as conservative as Flynn is, but Wilson has other ways to pick up yards.

I have to admit, though, I never saw Flynn winding up a third-string. I hope he ends up back at Green Bay to get his dignity back.

BASF

Reaction score
bobincovington":acen2e7g said:
**FOR SALE**
Seattle Seahawks Matt Flynn Jersey
Size XL

images

New, Never Worn, "Mint" flawless condition

I don't think there are that many out there like it, but it is the only jersey I have seen produced without the player ever taking a snap as a starter. You never know, it could become a highly sought after collectors item

$10 or will trade for a bottle of wine

seriously though, I hope the best for Flynn and hope he turns around the downward trend

This brings up an interesting question: I know with the Reebok jerseys you could remove the name plate off the back, can you do it with the new Nike jerseys?

hawk45

Reaction score
I don't see a target on Kearly's back but I don't see every thread.

I will say that with respect to guys saying he should have thicker skin, that's fine and dandy for dudes who throw around the smartass remarks themselves. I'm not averse to making a snarky post, and so it's no surprise if I get one directed at me. Kearly's point about him never being snarky is a good one. If all you do is come on the site, spend a lot of time and effort to make informative posts, and show courtesy, then it does hit you harder when someone comes out of nowhere just to be a jerk, and sucks the fun out of things.

In this particular case I believe Glove was joking. But Kearly's reaction is very legit if something's been building up.

Not that he needs validation, it's just what I see.

kearly

Reaction score
-The Glove-":aoerbl4x said:
Wow. You're completely taking my comment too seriously. I have nothing but respect for your post game "Random Thoughts". It's something I look forward to every week. One should be able to laugh at him/herself.

I'd understand your reaction if I had a history of disrespecting you (I mean yeah I've disagreed with you many a times) but I haven't and I don't.

It has 0% to do with Wilson and 100% to do with the tone of disrespect.

Have you seen every post Techworld's makes in my direction? I LOVE that guy, and he's always giving me shit. But he does it lovingly. Big difference.

In fact, my initial response to you was a "roll with the punches" self-depreciating joke. And then when I read it, I felt ashamed of myself for just taking it again for the untold time. So, I deleted it and stood up for myself.

BTW Glove, I have nothing personal against you, it was just your comment and how I read into it that just set me off. There was an obvious tone of annoyance, or some form of antipathy. It was clearly not a joke. If it was, it was the worst delivery of a joke I've ever seen.

If you have anything against me, that's fine. Just know I will fight back anyone who is disrespectful. Playful ribbing is fine. Ask J how to do it, he's great at it. If this was a misread from me, then try to be smarter about how you manage your tone next time, and let's forget this happened. I will probably have a minimal presence at .net from here on out, anyway.

hawk45":aoerbl4x said:
I don't see a target on Kearly's back but I don't see every thread.

I will say that with respect to guys saying he should have thicker skin, that's fine and dandy for dudes who throw around the smartass remarks themselves. I'm not averse to making a snarky post, and so it's no surprise if I get one directed at me. Kearly's point about him never being snarky is a good one. If all you do is come on the site, spend a lot of time and effort to make informative posts, and show courtesy, then it does hit you harder when someone comes out of nowhere just to be a jerk, and sucks the fun out of things.

It's almost all backhanded, underneath people's breath kind of stuff, which makes it worse because if it was more obvious, people would step in and say something. But because they don't, it's tough. Nobody wants to have to defend themselves and look insecure in the process.

The second paragraph I quoted from you pretty much nails it. I'm nice and I work hard. I respect others. I feel I've earned minimal respect and TACT. That's ALL I'm asking for. And if people are going to be dicks I'm going to give them the business from now on. I've turned the other cheek for the better part of 10 years since I joined the scout site, but I've basically lost that ability.

kearly

Reaction score
To me, disrespect is a bit like radiation. It fades, but takes so long to do so that for the short lifespan of a person, it is essentially permanent poisoning. When we are exposed to radiation, it builds up and stacks on top of previous exposure- until your body can't take it any more and you die. On the disrespect scale, this wasn't so bad. But, it was one time too many.

I think my mistake was not "drawing down" from .net, or quitting altogether, sooner. I knew that was going to be a problem and I rode it out thinking I could just keep shrugging it off.

I guess this is just going to look strange to most of you. I get that. I will try to explain this, from my perspective, in a way that makes sense.

When someone puts in hard work and provides a service you like, especially if it's for free out of their own volunteered effort, you want to support them as a means of letting them know they are appreciated and that you want the status quo to continue. I think those efforts from .net supporters kind of got out of control in the last few months, especially the "SI" type comments. I'm flattered, but I'm not that good.

It's human nature to go against the grain for some, and I've noticed a growing antipathy in my direction in recent months among a certain segment of users, users who I'm reasonably sure had no issues with me a couple years ago. But I think they see others propping me up and their instinct is to pop the balloon. If done right, this isn't a bad thing, but when done wrong, it's hurtful. And the result is, lots of little nicks and bruises occurring all the time, like getting bushwhacked all day long on a "roughing it" fishing trip. Sure, we all take abuse here, but my brand of abuse taken is different. It's specific to me because of the status I had been given from others. I also sensed genuine resentment from a few users, and that gradually put me more on edge.

It's part of the human condition, and I'm not crying to the refs here. I get how things work. My point is that, there is a certain stage you reach on that fishing trip where even a 20 pound Steelhead wouldn't be enough to coax you to go through one more stream side shrubbery. And that's where I'm at right now. I can't take it anymore. I don't want to be a ".net celebrity." Writing here is a freaking blast, but it's just not worth the little doses of special abuse, not anymore.