2013-14 EPL Season

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Scottish_Hawk":2c5yclhq said:
Just want to add Glasgow Rangers and Chelsea FC fan here so expect input !

KEEP THE BLUE FLAG FLYING HIGH !

thats unfortunate...

but welcome

give us a rundown of your thoughts on Chelsea at the moment. been a strange and tumultusous year already.

im assuming rangers are slowly moving their way back up the scottish league structure? are they two leagues now from a return to the SPL? (i think thats right... back in 2016.)

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Scottish_Hawk":2pn01gd9 said:

How many more months do Sevco have left before they go bust again? Burning through a ton of cash right now just to win against part timers, board room issues and a terrible manager who is only still there due to his legendary status as a player.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone on here has heard this, I would be surprised if you haven't. But prior to the Arsenal-Napoli match, a contingent of Napoli supporters attacked a North London pie shop near the Emirates. The store is a popular prematch destination for Arsenal supporters and it's a shame to hear this happened. We've always heard about stupid incidents involving English club supporters and other European club supporters(for some reason it tends to be Italians) occurring, almost always happens when the English club is the visitors, I do remember hearing an incident involving Tottenham supporters and Lazio supporters a few years ago as well. I don't recall an completely unprovoked incident like this occurring in England.

Below is a video interview an Arsenal supporter did with the store owner about the incident.

[youtube]sy6SFu1dvTA[/youtube]

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Anzhi-Spurs is a nice midweek tie, Hawkspur. Be interesting to see the lineup AVB throws out. (considering Anzhi may not even be able to throw out 11... what a mess. Take heed Monaco)

So now that the new pieces are starting to settle in at the "pride of North London".. who looks the part and who seems to be faltering?

I still wonder if Siggurdson and Holtby will ever find a consistent place on the squad. Soldado hasnt been anything terrific (atleast in PL play, outside of two pens). Is striker still an issue?

dino26

Reaction score
Uncle Si":vxxfqw7f said:
Scottish_Hawk":vxxfqw7f said:

thats unfortunate...

but welcome

give us a rundown of your thoughts on Chelsea at the moment. been a strange and tumultusous year already.

im assuming rangers are slowly moving their way back up the scottish league structure? are they two leagues now from a return to the SPL? (i think thats right... back in 2016.)

Regarding the Gers right now we are in league 1 if we win that we get into the scottish championship and then after that its the mainstage with the tic and all the others.

Regarding chelsea its been a bit of a sour affair I was a bit dissapointed they never managed to land a top striker in the transfer window ...I was really hoping on Rooney.

Its clear JM has been told by Roman to change the style of play but I think this is where it has backfired for us , we have too many lightweight silky midfield players there is no point in trying to emulate barca or another team for that matter. Jose should go back to 4-1-2-1-2 It was what worked best for him in his previous time at the bridge ...I do feel we need a bit of muscle in the middle of the park all we have really is Essien we need another solid midfield player and a top striker. Looking back I wish we took that 30M for David Luiz that we were offered.

...Oh and also PLAY JUAN FRICKIN MATA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1u636c2f said:
Anzhi-Spurs is a nice midweek tie, Hawkspur. Be interesting to see the lineup AVB throws out. (considering Anzhi may not even be able to throw out 11... what a mess. Take heed Monaco)

So now that the new pieces are starting to settle in at the "pride of North London".. who looks the part and who seems to be faltering?

I still wonder if Siggurdson and Holtby will ever find a consistent place on the squad. Soldado hasnt been anything terrific (atleast in PL play, outside of two pens). Is striker still an issue?

I have to take offense to using referring to Spurs as "The Pride of North London". They will never be that until they finish above Arsenal and become more successful than the Gunners.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":39j71ger said:
Spurs already up 2-0 in Russia. That's one hell of a squad they've put together there.

They've sold the one-man-team and bought a team. At the very least Spurs have upgraded 4 starters and strengthened the depth with the others.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawkspur":2rl8ck5r said:
peachesenregalia":2rl8ck5r said:
Spurs already up 2-0 in Russia. That's one hell of a squad they've put together there.

They've sold the one-man-team and bought a team. At the very least Spurs have upgraded 4 starters and strengthened the depth with the others.

No Soldado, Lamela starts and Ericksen now off the bench. Be interesting to watch AvB balance all these players with two domestic cup runs, league and Europa. Certainly has the talent

as a 'Pool fan it does sort of sting watching Spurs, as Soldado, Willian, Siggurdsen, Holtby, Ericksen and Lamela were all once highly sought after at Anfield.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3cf8f256 said:
Willian went to Chelsea, remember?

Ha!

(i'd like to say I was being purposefully ironic... but i'm simply tired)

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1zc297t2 said:

Winning 2-0 against a team that's, kinda like them, a completely different squad to the one that was there last year. Anzhi's fire sale definitely changed things for them.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":36mie1ui said:
Some intriguing matches this weekend. Spurs should beat West Ham, but I could see the hammers nicking a point. I'll be watching that United match, Sunderland look like they could beat a despondent United team that appears to be in a tailspin. I expect Liverpool to pummel Palace, but we know how that generally goes. I'll be happy with a win of any kind.

Everton visiting the Emirates is a nice tilt as well....

more of a Champs league topic, but I found this article on Bayerns destruction of City pretty interesting...

http://deadspin.com/fc-bayern-fillet-city-how-the-worlds-best-team-is-get-1440647716

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1q7iho1n said:
more of a Champs league topic, but I found this article on Bayerns destruction of City pretty interesting...

http://deadspin.com/fc-bayern-fillet-city-how-the-worlds-best-team-is-get-1440647716

Bayern are formidable (still hold a huge grudge against them for choosing a game in which them losing would indirectly knock Spurs out of Europe to play about their only poor game if the past 3 years, though, so they'll always be useless twats to me).

City definitely have some weak spots. Here's hoping for a Manchester-free Champions League next season.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Things are looking pretty grim in the world of Glazer coach/managers.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":xu6drrd4 said:
Hawkspur":xu6drrd4 said:
Uncle Si":xu6drrd4 said:

Bayern are formidable (still hold a huge grudge against them for choosing a game in which them losing would indirectly knock Spurs out of Europe to play about their only poor game if the past 3 years, though, so they'll always be useless twats to me).

City definitely have some weak spots. Here's hoping for a Manchester-free Champions League next season.

Could happen. I think Moyes stays this season regardless, but I don't think he gets them in the top 4. As for City, they'll sack Pellegrini before christmas if this form continues, and bring in someone more competent, possibly enough to snatch the 4th CL spot.

Bayern's strengths go far beyond simply exposing City's frailities. I can see a Manchester-free top 4, or atleast a United-free. City may have the resolve and talent to challenge. However, if City wane, then yes Pelligrini gets the sack.

Again with Bayern though.. only Dortmund have found a formula to play with them in a meaningful game (and that was without Goetze). The newly implemented philosophy Pep brings to them only makes them more dangerous. Really, it just adds to their flexibility. Mueller's goal was a perfect example of how the more technical "tika taka" passing can be fully utilized by their attackers. They simply overran City's midfield, which is supposed to be their strong point.

anyways, this is a PL thread. just amazed at the level of play of Bayern. They look far more dangerous than even Peps best Barca side, and to be honest are far stronger defending. the high press works better with the Germans more athletic and stronger players and the back line seems more comfortable even if isolated.

As desperate as I am for Liverpool to re-enter the CL (and feel they could play there), i have a hard time seeing them being anything more than "competitive" with the top 2 German sides

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Great 1st half....time to get Aspas, Allen and Ibe off the mark

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":ocmiq94x said:
And Arse-nal squander two points at WBA! Joint top!

I disagree, it wasn't 2 points squandered. Neither team were good today and a draw was probably the best result for both sides, you could say the international break came at the right time for Arsenal. That said, Lee Mason was as poor as Arsenal's first half was, he made some questionable decisions all around, to the point that I saw some jokes on twitter that he was gonna send off an Arsenal player for breathing on the opponent.

I suppose it was fitting that the Arsenal goal was scored by Wilshere after the week he's had, and the criticisms everyone was giving him at halftime.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":qd1kmu8b said:
peachesenregalia":qd1kmu8b said:
And Arse-nal squander two points at WBA! Joint top!

I disagree, it wasn't 2 points squandered. Neither team were good today and a draw was probably the best result for both sides, you could say the international break came at the right time for Arsenal. That said, Lee Mason was as poor as Arsenal's first half was, he made some questionable decisions all around, to the point that I saw some jokes on twitter that he was gonna send off an Arsenal player for breathing on the opponent.

I suppose it was fitting that the Arsenal goal was scored by Wilshere after the week he's had, and the criticisms everyone was giving him at halftime.

breathed pretty hard on that final ball in the box and got away with it... Arsenal were fortunate to nic a point. WBA controlled massively long spells of that game and were unfortunate to not be up 3 goals by the time Wilshere got his goal (which by they way started with a break on the other end after a WBA player was fouled but no call given).

Its going to happen, and its going to happen away. but its a bit disingenuous to waive away WBA's efforts so brazenly and claim a draw was their best result.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":24m4uplh said:
Look at who you're talking to, Simon.

Ive done so good the last few weeks too... but WBA deserved the credit here (and the 3 points in my mind). Arsenal got a draw and should be happy, just as I was happy Liverpool pulled a point from Swansea despite being outplayed.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1zulgcci said:
breathed pretty hard on that final ball in the box and got away with it... Arsenal were fortunate to nic a point. WBA controlled massively long spells of that game and were unfortunate to not be up 3 goals by the time Wilshere got his goal (which by they way started with a break on the other end after a WBA player was fouled but no call given).

Its going to happen, and its going to happen away. but its a bit disingenuous to waive away WBA's efforts so brazenly and claim a draw was their best result.

Don't get me wrong(you always seem to think so), I'm glad we got the draw after how poor we were in the first half. I just was pointing out that the referee screwed up on some key decisions, that one at the end involving Koscielny included, hell, I was shocked when no call was given. But you can not tell me that Mulumbu's challenge on Wilshere in I think it was the 75th minute, was clean, hell that challenge was eerily similar to the two by Koscielny earlier this season(vs Villa and Sunderland) that were called penalties.

And about that foul you claimed to have happened in the build up to Wilshere's goal. I went back and watched that highlight, that wasn't a foul, that looked like a jostling match between two players and Ozil came won out, hell it almost seems like the West Brom player actually tripped over the ball in the end, like he stepped on it and lost his balance.

I'm not taking anything away from West Brom, they played really well everywhere, except in attack, they had some good strikes, but what's gonna stand out is the two clear opportunities Anelka had, one he missed played and topped the ball badly, the other went just wide. Neither team had a lethal bite in attack and it hurt both teams, Arsenal mostly looked worn out and are probably among those that are overjoyed at the international break arriving.