Josh Freeman released

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Josh Freeman released
Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:49 am

Re: Josh Freeman released
Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:50 am
  • Man, I'd dump BJ Daniels and pick Freeman up in a heart beat now that he's been released.

What a disaster Tampa Bay is because of Schiano. He's slowly sabotaged that team.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:51 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:Man, I'd dump BJ Daniels and pick Freeman up in a heart beat now that he's been released.

What a disaster Tampa Bay is because of Schiano. He's slowly sabotaged that team.

Second that. I'm not AS high on him as I was, but there's a good chance it was just a perfect storm of bad luck and poor coaching for him.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:53 am
  • The touble is that he's a starting QB, so the number will be high. Also, would he sit as a backup or try and go with a team that he could start for? Having him would be nice, but there are issues.
    csjwilkinson
    NET Practice Squad

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:53 am
  • What did they do to him? Remember this?

Josh Freeman began the 2010 season as the starting quarterback. He started all 16 games of the season, the first Buccaneer quarterback to do so since Brad Johnson in 2003. On December 26, 2010, Freeman completed 21 of 26 pass attempts for 227 yards and 5 touchdowns against the Seattle Seahawks, matching a franchise record for touchdowns in a game.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:55 am
  • Freeman would automatically make Minny a legit threat, IMO. If I were the Bengals I'd consider it. It's going to be a team which already doesn't have a young QB or isn't picking top 10 in the draft.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:00 am
  • I like the idea of Freeman in Minny with Frazier, I think he could motivate him and get him to play well but I think Frazier will stick by Ponder until he is fired, just the kind of coach he is. Jacksonville or the NY Jets should jump on this opportunity right now.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:02 am
  • 12th_Bob wrote:I like the idea of Freeman in Minny with Frazier, I think he could motivate him and get him to play well but I think Frazier will stick by Ponder until he is fired, just the kind of coach he is. Jacksonville or the NY Jets should jump on this opportunity right now.

I think Frazier will stick with Ponder because his GM's tells him to. I think Frazier's outstanding as a coach, but he's coaching in a situation where saying "no" will get him fired. That's an "IMO", of course.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:05 am
  • Freeman will be a Viking, an Eagle, or a Cardinal real soon.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:06 am
  • Zona' is a good call, didn't think about that one.

So Schaino fired in 3, 2, 1?
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:08 am

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:09 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:Man, I'd dump BJ Daniels and pick Freeman up in a heart beat now that he's been released.

Yes and yes.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:10 am
  • The Browns should give him a look. He's better than Brandon Weeden at this point and more experienced than Hoyer.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:14 am
  • Wouldn't be surprised if he takes a short trip across the state to Jacksonville.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:22 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:The Browns should give him a look. He's better than Brandon Weeden at this point and more experienced than Hoyer.

Hoyer is looking good, but Freeman would be good competition/insurance instead of Weedon.
    Zebulon Dak wrote:If any Twitter employees get assassinated I'll vote Republican from here on out.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:24 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if he takes a short trip across the state to Jacksonville.

Also highly probable. Gus is almost a polar opposite to Schiano.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:26 am

What's his contract status? If it's a lot, I don't think placing a waver on his would be smart. Doubt he makes it past that.
    Colin Kaepernick wrote:I think our efficiency in the huddle was more of a factor than the crowd.
    C-Dub
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:26 am
  • Dang, Bucs. You couldn't have gotten at least a 3rd round pick for a starting NFL QB? What a joke.
    aawolf
    NET Starter

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:33 am
  • Jax wont touch him. Why? They'll have their pick of QB's in a very strong draft.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:36 am
  • Hmm... Maybe the Texans pick him up? Have him learn their playbook and bench Schaub. Who knows? Maybe he can help turn the Texans around.
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Rookie

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:40 am
  • C-Dub wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:Man, I'd dump BJ Daniels and pick Freeman up in a heart beat now that he's been released.

What's his contract status? If it's a lot, I don't think placing a waver on his would be smart. Doubt he makes it past that.

He was on last year of rookie deal, 5year/26 mil I think I read, also:

Joel Corry ‏@corryjoel 41m
    Josh Freeman can't collect the balance of his $8.43M base salary ($5,950,588-12 weeks) until he files for termination pay after the season.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:59 am
  • Sucks for Freeman. Schiano is circling the drain. When coached do this desperate shit, they never save their jobs. Remember Dr. Phil up in Minnesota? Desperate trade for Moss, equally desperate dismissal of moss a bit later. Then he was gone. Whe coaches pull this stuff, all they do is cement their status as not gonna head coach again.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:35 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:Sucks for Freeman. Schiano is circling the drain. When coached do this desperate shit, they never save their jobs. Remember Dr. Phil up in Minnesota? Desperate trade for Moss, equally desperate dismissal of moss a bit later. Then he was gone. Whe coaches pull this stuff, all they do is cement their status as not gonna head coach again.

Anyone busting their butt for the team to see a mate get treated like Freeman by their ownership/coach is going to really question what their motivation is. Schiano has to go.
    |~=[==~||~==]=~|
    ||Tfs LnD ] [ HAWKS||
    RIP BFS. He was kind of a douche, but he was our kind of a douche.
    ClumsyLurk
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:37 pm
  • ClumsyLurk wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Sucks for Freeman. Schiano is circling the drain. When coached do this desperate shit, they never save their jobs. Remember Dr. Phil up in Minnesota? Desperate trade for Moss, equally desperate dismissal of moss a bit later. Then he was gone. Whe coaches pull this stuff, all they do is cement their status as not gonna head coach again.

Anyone busting their butt for the team to see a mate get treated like Freeman by their ownership/coach is going to really question what their motivation is. Schiano has to go.

I agree. There's no repairing the damage on his rep for Schiano in the locker room. I don't know any player that would back up a coach acting out like that against a fellow teammate
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:43 pm
  • aawolf wrote:Dang, Bucs. You couldn't have gotten at least a 3rd round pick for a starting NFL QB? What a joke.

It is not that easy.

If you trade for him now you alienate your current QB. Then Freeman comes in with just this season left of the contract and plays lights out now you have to figure out how to pay him big bucks for a long contract based on 10 games...... not a great situation to be in. If you don't pay him / he doesn't pan out then you just pissed off the other qb so maybe you have to try to draft one (which next draft is a pretty decent qb year).

So I get why nobody traded for him. If you can pick him off the waiver wire / after it goes through then you can do so and put him on the bench / give him a fair shot.

Minnesota & Jacksonville has nothing to lose - they need a new qb no matter what
    Jets - tough one. If your rookie isn't getting killed then why not let him play it out and get the experience?
    Eagles - fantastic fit but if you think Vick will work then you are taking him as a backup and I don't think that is in Freeman's plans.
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:49 pm
  • ^^^ Absolutely agreed.

Giving up a pick for a guy who is going to be cut anyway while also paying the rest of a 6.2 million dollar salary for a guy who is a FA next year and won't be able to start for you any time soon anyway (he's a QB, and has has to learn a whole new offense) just doesn't make any sense.

And I think you hit on the big one: what happens if he comes in and has a magical stretch of games for you that you know he won't be able to repeat a la Flacco last year?

Much easier to save yourself all that hassle, just wait for him to be cut and clear waivers, and negotiate from there.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:52 pm
  • Scotte opined about Reid in KC as a potential fit, and I agree. At some point Bowe needs to get McGrath's balls, don't ya think? I respect Alex Smith, and dude wins, but he's got to grind dudes like Reids patience, eventually.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:01 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Scotte opined about Reid in KC as a potential fit, and I agree. At some point Bowe needs to get McGrath's balls, don't ya think? I respect Alex Smith, and dude wins, but he's got to grind dudes like Reids patience, eventually.

Part of it is I kind of see Freeman as a McNabb double. Mobile, some innacuracy, not a real x and o guy...And Reid likes to turn his QBs into draft picks, and KC is first in the Waiver line.

If this happens, Flynn and Freeman could start a club. The Effer's club? The Effed over club? I'll work on it.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:01 pm
  • If I were Alex Smith and KC signed Josh for a starting position, I'd quit the NFL. It's be too much for me to have been messed around my whole career.
    csjwilkinson
    NET Practice Squad

Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:04 pm
  • If the niners were smart, they would pick him up. If they do, he'll be their starter next year.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:12 pm
  • rideaducati wrote:If the niners were smart, they would pick him up. If they do, he'll be their starter next year.

If the Niners were dumb, they'd pick him up. As much as we like to hate on Kaep, its only his 2nd year (1st full) starting. Picking up Freeman would do nothing for Kaep's confidence
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:42 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:Whe coaches pull this stuff, all they do is cement their status as not gonna head coach again.

This. Nothing screams weasel like a coach of a bad team trying to make scapegoats out of his players. And weasels cannot lead.
    RIP Les. We will miss you.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:00 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Scotte opined about Reid in KC as a potential fit, and I agree. At some point Bowe needs to get McGrath's balls, don't ya think? I respect Alex Smith, and dude wins, but he's got to grind dudes like Reids patience, eventually.

The comparison of Freeman to McNabb is well taken, but the WCO is sort of built on accurate underneath throws and the short passing game. In that sense, Reid and Smith are sort of a perfect fit for each other, not unlike Hass/Holmgren in Seattle. Reid knew who Smith was when gave up two high draft picks for him.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:01 pm
  • I disagree, Seven. Reid loves him some longball. Loves, loves, loves longball.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:42 pm
  • Packers running backs coach Alex Van Pelt was Freeman’s position coach in Tampa Bay in 2010 and 2011, and said “No doubt” when asked whether Freeman could still be an NFL starter.

“I loved Josh,” Van Pelt said, via Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com. “Josh and I had a good working relationship. He was nothing but a pro when I was there with him. He was never late for meetings. We actually had 6:30 [a.m.] quarterback meetings; we were an hour before anybody else, and I never had an issue or anything like that. He did everything that I asked him to do.

“He was a great teammate, watched him work around the other guys and had a lot of respect for him. I don’t know what happened, but I know the guy that I was there with I really enjoyed being with.”

I'm inclined to believe this guy over the current Bucs regime.

I'm pulling for Freeman now.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:48 pm
  • Shiano has managed to just throw away two players who where pretty good before he showed up. Freeman was obviously good the year before he came, and Blount had 1000yds before being coached by Shiano, and he's done pretty good the last few weeks in New England. I can't believe TB has held onto him this long, he is easily the worst coach in the NFL.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:23 pm

Don't forget Tynes and the MRSA thing...management over there is just as bad. The whole organization is a dumpster fire right now.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:34 pm
  • They were talking about this on NFLN and they said the gm had called all other 31 teams and there was absolutely zero interest in Freeman, for anything at all. The dude went downhill fast both play wise and personally. Nobody wants anything to do with him.
    OrFan
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:39 pm
  • Or 31 teams could see the forest from the trees and said "they're gonna release him we'll just wait it out"
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:01 pm
  • Schiano should not be in the NFL. It's painfully obvious he is in way over his head and is trying his best to deflect his teams shortcomings in any direction but his. Accountability is huge when building a franchise, just look at how Seattle has built this team.

Show up or get shown the door.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:42 pm
  • What's everyone think?

"
    @957thegame: We just recieved this text from Josh Freeman: "Raider Nation is great. I've worked with Greg Olson & he is a great coordinator."
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:43 pm
  • That'd work.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:52 pm
  • Not a good move IMO, but its hard to find stability (which I think he needs) at this point
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:00 pm
  • Raiders have a solid GM and a REALLY GOOD coach, IMO. I really like Allen. Dude's coaching his ass off down there. For real.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:05 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Raiders have a solid GM and a REALLY GOOD coach, IMO. I really like Allen. Dude's coaching his ass off down there. For real.

I'll take your word for it, because I havent seen much yet to distinguish themselves from the same Ol raiders. Then again I haven't followed them much this year. I just know my Raiders buddy is not happy with things
    Last edited by -The Glove- on Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:08 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Raiders have a solid GM and a REALLY GOOD coach, IMO. I really like Allen. Dude's coaching his ass off down there. For real.

Agreed. That team lacks talent, not leadership or coaching.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:19 pm
  • A starting job may have just opened up in Cleveland, at least temporarily, with the chance to keep it. If I were Freeman, I'd go there before Oakland. Much better team in Cleveland.
    Erebus
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:23 pm
  • I kind of like what I've seen from Pryor so if Freeman ends up there that could set them back even more. I think the Raiders should ride out with Pryor for a season, why not?

Cleveland could use Freeman, is Chud strong enough to get the players to play for him? IDK, Schaino is a dick and needs to go ASAP.
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:49 pm
  • What a free fall for him. Started off looking so promising, and now cut by the Bucs.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:50 pm
  • I havnt followed the situation too closely I admit, but from what I've seem doesn't seem like many of Freeman's teammates are sticking up for him. That says a lot, imo. I wouldn't touch him. Maybe if he was some position other then QB, but not when he's supposed to be the leader of your team and face of your franchise.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Next

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:41 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information