Josh Freeman released

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sucks for Freeman. Schiano is circling the drain. When coached do this desperate shit, they never save their jobs. Remember Dr. Phil up in Minnesota? Desperate trade for Moss, equally desperate dismissal of moss a bit later. Then he was gone. Whe coaches pull this stuff, all they do is cement their status as not gonna head coach again.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":21nvm9nq said:
Sucks for Freeman. Schiano is circling the drain. When coached do this desperate shit, they never save their jobs. Remember Dr. Phil up in Minnesota? Desperate trade for Moss, equally desperate dismissal of moss a bit later. Then he was gone. Whe coaches pull this stuff, all they do is cement their status as not gonna head coach again.
Anyone busting their butt for the team to see a mate get treated like Freeman by their ownership/coach is going to really question what their motivation is. Schiano has to go.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":20owc0qc said:
Scottemojo":20owc0qc said:
Anyone busting their butt for the team to see a mate get treated like Freeman by their ownership/coach is going to really question what their motivation is. Schiano has to go.

I agree. There's no repairing the damage on his rep for Schiano in the locker room. I don't know any player that would back up a coach acting out like that against a fellow teammate

mikeak

Reaction score
aawolf":192s8dq5 said:
Dang, Bucs. You couldn't have gotten at least a 3rd round pick for a starting NFL QB? What a joke.

It is not that easy.

If you trade for him now you alienate your current QB. Then Freeman comes in with just this season left of the contract and plays lights out now you have to figure out how to pay him big bucks for a long contract based on 10 games...... not a great situation to be in. If you don't pay him / he doesn't pan out then you just pissed off the other qb so maybe you have to try to draft one (which next draft is a pretty decent qb year).

So I get why nobody traded for him. If you can pick him off the waiver wire / after it goes through then you can do so and put him on the bench / give him a fair shot.

Minnesota & Jacksonville has nothing to lose - they need a new qb no matter what
Jets - tough one. If your rookie isn't getting killed then why not let him play it out and get the experience?
Eagles - fantastic fit but if you think Vick will work then you are taking him as a backup and I don't think that is in Freeman's plans.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Absolutely agreed.

Giving up a pick for a guy who is going to be cut anyway while also paying the rest of a 6.2 million dollar salary for a guy who is a FA next year and won't be able to start for you any time soon anyway (he's a QB, and has has to learn a whole new offense) just doesn't make any sense.

And I think you hit on the big one: what happens if he comes in and has a magical stretch of games for you that you know he won't be able to repeat a la Flacco last year?

Much easier to save yourself all that hassle, just wait for him to be cut and clear waivers, and negotiate from there.

pehawk

Reaction score
Scotte opined about Reid in KC as a potential fit, and I agree. At some point Bowe needs to get McGrath's balls, don't ya think? I respect Alex Smith, and dude wins, but he's got to grind dudes like Reids patience, eventually.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":ijr3nzb5 said:
Scotte opined about Reid in KC as a potential fit, and I agree. At some point Bowe needs to get McGrath's balls, don't ya think? I respect Alex Smith, and dude wins, but he's got to grind dudes like Reids patience, eventually.

Part of it is I kind of see Freeman as a McNabb double. Mobile, some innacuracy, not a real x and o guy...And Reid likes to turn his QBs into draft picks, and KC is first in the Waiver line.

If this happens, Flynn and Freeman could start a club. The Effer's club? The Effed over club? I'll work on it.

OP
OP
C

csjwilkinson

Reaction score
If I were Alex Smith and KC signed Josh for a starting position, I'd quit the NFL. It's be too much for me to have been messed around my whole career.

rideaducati

Reaction score
If the niners were smart, they would pick him up. If they do, he'll be their starter next year.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
rideaducati":2pwafnrs said:
If the niners were smart, they would pick him up. If they do, he'll be their starter next year.

If the Niners were dumb, they'd pick him up. As much as we like to hate on Kaep, its only his 2nd year (1st full) starting. Picking up Freeman would do nothing for Kaep's confidence

Happy

Reaction score
Scottemojo":4ao0ktx9 said:
Whe coaches pull this stuff, all they do is cement their status as not gonna head coach again.

This. Nothing screams weasel like a coach of a bad team trying to make scapegoats out of his players. And weasels cannot lead.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
pehawk":14n1nle8 said:

The comparison of Freeman to McNabb is well taken, but the WCO is sort of built on accurate underneath throws and the short passing game. In that sense, Reid and Smith are sort of a perfect fit for each other, not unlike Hass/Holmgren in Seattle. Reid knew who Smith was when gave up two high draft picks for him.

pehawk

Reaction score
I disagree, Seven. Reid loves him some longball. Loves, loves, loves longball.

pehawk

Reaction score
Packers running backs coach Alex Van Pelt was Freeman’s position coach in Tampa Bay in 2010 and 2011, and said “No doubt” when asked whether Freeman could still be an NFL starter.

“I loved Josh,” Van Pelt said, via Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com. “Josh and I had a good working relationship. He was nothing but a pro when I was there with him. He was never late for meetings. We actually had 6:30 [a.m.] quarterback meetings; we were an hour before anybody else, and I never had an issue or anything like that. He did everything that I asked him to do.

“He was a great teammate, watched him work around the other guys and had a lot of respect for him. I don’t know what happened, but I know the guy that I was there with I really enjoyed being with.”

I'm inclined to believe this guy over the current Bucs regime.

I'm pulling for Freeman now.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Shiano has managed to just throw away two players who where pretty good before he showed up. Freeman was obviously good the year before he came, and Blount had 1000yds before being coached by Shiano, and he's done pretty good the last few weeks in New England. I can't believe TB has held onto him this long, he is easily the worst coach in the NFL.

253hawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":sqnltigf said:
Man, I'd dump BJ Daniels and pick Freeman up in a heart beat now that he's been released.

What a disaster Tampa Bay is because of Schiano. He's slowly sabotaged that team.

Don't forget Tynes and the MRSA thing...management over there is just as bad. The whole organization is a dumpster fire right now.

OrFan

Reaction score
They were talking about this on NFLN and they said the gm had called all other 31 teams and there was absolutely zero interest in Freeman, for anything at all. The dude went downhill fast both play wise and personally. Nobody wants anything to do with him.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Or 31 teams could see the forest from the trees and said "they're gonna release him we'll just wait it out"

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Schiano should not be in the NFL. It's painfully obvious he is in way over his head and is trying his best to deflect his teams shortcomings in any direction but his. Accountability is huge when building a franchise, just look at how Seattle has built this team.

Show up or get shown the door.

[youtube]v6rkSs5G5rc[/youtube]

Happypuppy

Reaction score
What's everyone think?

"
@957thegame: We just recieved this text from Josh Freeman: "Raider Nation is great. I've worked with Greg Olson & he is a great coordinator."