UW vs Arizona

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3d504s23 said:
So how do you guys feel about the game at Stanford next week?

First off - the weather is likely to be better. :) I would love to see us play as disciplined as we did this week. Outside of a few questionable calls.. I think overall the penalties are dealt with. Our D is strong, our running game is very strong, and I think its all on Keith for Stanford. Who shows up? 2012 or 2013 Keith?

We beat the Tree last year, we can do it again - especially with a better squad.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":uvr4n11d said:
JSeahawks":uvr4n11d said:
So how do you guys feel about the game at Stanford next week?

First off - the weather is likely to be better. :) I would love to see us play as disciplined as we did this week. Outside of a few questionable calls.. I think overall the penalties are dealt with. Our D is strong, our running game is very strong, and I think its all on Keith for Stanford. Who shows up? 2012 or 2013 Keith?

We beat the Tree last year, we can do it again - especially with a better squad.

Against Stanford I think you gotta use the quick pass to set up the run. Just like WSU is doing. They are susceptible to the quick pass if you don't allow their pass rushers time to get to the QB.

razgriz737

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":3r2qmpzj said:
Curious how many Husky fans here are students or graduates of the school?

<- Student. (34 year old man though) :D
Student, sophomore.

Holy crap, I don't know if you could tell on TV, but the rain was biblical at times during the 1st half. I wore a t-shirt, a hoodie, and a rain coat and I was soaked through to my skin. A few people were already leaving during the 1st quarter and quite a few left during halftime because they were so wet and cold, and I don't blame 'em.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Cheers to you for ballin' out with the boys tonight. They played a great game... some mistakes... but great football.

HawkWow

Reaction score
razgriz737":1ocjnprt said:
CallMeADawg":1ocjnprt said:

Student, sophomore.

Holy crap, I don't know if you could tell on TV, but the rain was biblical at times during the 1st half. I wore a t-shirt, a hoodie, and a rain coat and I was soaked through to my skin. A few people were already leaving during the 1st quarter and quite a few left during halftime because they were so wet and cold, and I don't blame 'em.

For close to 300 mil, someone needs to walk the contractor out to midfield, point up and ask, where the hell is the roof? I am all about the elements being part of the game, but there will be (many more) times when a retractable would make a ton of sense.

But you stayed, right?

SmokeyHawk

Reaction score
Hawkwow: been to many games, the squall in the first was the worst I've -ever- seen. Including the raiders game when SA ran for a million yards. No roof...ever...lol. You were there, right?

-SH

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I think UW's defense can handle Stanfords offense. If UWs offense scores 3 touchdowns, I think UW wins.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
The Pac12 North is quite competitive though, from an overall NCAA perspective... Its good to be in this house.

HawkWow

Reaction score
SmokeyHawk":rndhco4t said:
Hawkwow: been to many games, the squall in the first was the worst I've -ever- seen. Including the raiders game when SA ran for a million yards. No roof...ever...lol. You were there, right?

-SH

Nope, stuck here in Hawaii. ; )

Wish I was though. We usually get back for 2 games a year (these days). Have a pending (60 day) trip to SE Asia, but can't get a departure date nailed down and that is jamming up my football (and everything else) big time.

Too bad about the weather but I am grateful for your service! Thanks for being there for us. Go Dawgs!

kearly

Reaction score
Weird game. It's not very often you see a team's offense get shut down pretty much the whole game but still lead two 80+ yard TD drives purely through ridiculously clutch play.

I wasn't impressed by Carey. He has decent vision and good size/power/resilience, but he's not very fast and he lacks agility. That lack of agility really shows itself when Carey has to dance behind the line. If he has to dance, it's over. He did finish with good numbers though, because frankly UW lost the battle in the trenches in the second half, and their angles/tackling went from good to bad after halftime as well.

Sankey had a fantastic game and still had just 4 yards per carry. That Arizona D-line racked up quite a few stuffs and TFLs in the run game. I'm starting to wonder if that's Arizona being good or UW being lousy at run blocking, because Illinois and Boise State also racked up a ton of stuffs in those games too.

Both QBs were hurt by their receivers. Not only did UW drop a ton of passes (or fall down instead of scoring), but there were countless times Price bought them 8 seconds and couldn't find an open receiver. Arizona had it just as bad, other than an UW blowing assignments in the most inexplicable situations.

ASJ sure looks like a 2nd round pick right now. He's not going to blow people away at the combine with his athleticism, so production this season is a really big deal for him. My opinion on him hasn't changed one bit, I think he'd be a 2nd round steal. But I'd be surprised if he ends up in the 1st round the way this season is going.

I'm really curious to see what happens to Price in the next draft. After Bridgewater, Boyd, and Manziel leave the board, Price might be the best remaining point guard at QB available to draft. I could see reasons why KP would go undrafted, and I could see reasons why he could be a surprise pick in the early 2nd round.

Big win for UW. They have a pretty clear path to 8-4, and 10 wins is not unthinkable.

IcedHawk

Reaction score
razgriz737":2ocrjob7 said:
CallMeADawg":2ocrjob7 said:

Student, sophomore.

Sophomore as well. On a side note, we were standing right behind CJ Wilcox and some other guys from the basketball team. Once the rain starting swirling about halfway through the first quarter, they left. Saw them a bit later hiding undercover. First half was terrible, with the majority of the rain coming down. By half, it seemed like half of the student section left, and the second half was rather enjoyable.

Cad

Reaction score
Was in Section 311, so thankfully I was shielded by the absurd amount of wind and rain in the first half. I'm right by the edge of the South Stands, and I looked left and there was hundreds of gallons of water flying horizontally every second. A lot of old schoolers are saying that was the craziest wind/rain they've seen in Husky Stadium since the infamous Hurricane Game against USC. The folks in the lower bowl got completely drenched, and with the wind, we had a ton of people bailing at halftime because they were probably in danger of hypothermia. (A poncho over jeans or soft shells weren't going to cut it last night; you needed to dress like all-rubber, like Maine Lobsterman in a Nor'Easter, of else you were soaked to the bone.)

That's also why the passing games were shut down for the most part in the first half. We got one-dimensional for a while, but Sark didn't want to risk throwing it in those conditions, and I couldn't blame him. You've got a two-possession lead on a foe that's dealing with the weather worse than you are. Play it safe, kick it away, and play field position on a day like that. Sankey only had four rushes last week, so hopefully it averages out a bit better. Callier is coming along nicely, he can spell Sankey more. Once Dwayne Washington learns ball security, we can put him in more often, too. And Cooper is still learning how to trust his legs again (can you blame him?), but once he's up to speed, he could be a beast.

Tical21

Reaction score
Keith Price won't be drafted in the first five rounds. He is way undersized, with a relatively weak arm, but those aren't his biggest obstacles. He is glass. Every time he goes to the ground, he comes up limping. He'll end up in somebody's camp and play in the preseason. I don't like to talk absolutes when it comes to football, but there is zero chance any team spends a reasonably high pick on a guy that already walks like he's 68. I love him as a college player and for quite a while held out hopes for his chances of being a big time prospect, but there can't be any teams that still have him high on their radar.

I LOVE Seattle games when the weather gets like that, especially when a warm weather team is in town. I had a fantastic time last night, but have to admit I was a bit disappointed with the home crowd.

Fully agree with JSeahawks about Sankey. He was out of gas, and Callier had the juice going. He needed to get 10 of Bishop's carries. There was no reason to keep handing Sankey the ball when he was clearly done. Sark can't let this happen again. He's going to do permanent damage to the kid.

Damn Stupid Purple and Ghey helmets. U of Oregon North.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
Sankey had 4 carries the week before against ISU, so I think they didn't mind giving him 10-15 extra carries this week (Sark said they plan for him to get around 25).

And Stanford is going to rip our arms off and beat us to death with them. Next week will be a big ass kicking I think.

McGruff

Reaction score
This is the first time I've been able to watch the Huskies . . .

The corners really impressed me. They are not big, but they are physical in both press coverage and defending the run.

Danny Shelton is man . . . Everything we hope Jesse Williams will be.

JMO, but Price looks like Russell Wilson to me. Skinnier, weaker, but just as feisty and competitive and I love that he's running around but looking to throw. I liked what I saw, and we could do a lot worse than racing TJack with Price.