Wedge not returning to the Mariners next year

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Throwdown":3pwwtess said:
m0ng0":3pwwtess said:
so you all want the team gone.....so this is good news yes?

I wouldn't say we want the team gone, but I refuse to attend or watch a game as long as the current FO guys are still in a position of power.
THIS. I love baseball, and Safeco is a great stadium, watched probably 100's games there over the years. Haven't paid for a game in over 5 years, and only went to a couple in the 3 years ago because I got real good seats for free, been to zero games the last 2 seasons, and wont go until Lincoln and Armstrong are gone.

The Mariners have a tough time finding their wallet for top tier talent, and I have a tough time finding my wallet to watch their current crap product.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Should they have traded the prospects away for Justin Upton or Josh Hamilton or a 280lb 1st baseman who hit 25 homers?

*edit*

I looked a little deeper and compared the 3 above with Ibanez, Morales and Seager

Fielder/Upton/Hamilton .264 avg, .341 obp, 73 hr, 255 rbi, 50 million
Ibanez/Seager/Morales .261 abg .327 obp 74 hr, 214 rbi 8.5 million

Throwdown

Reaction score
Its not about player personnel for me, I don't know about anyone else. I don't care if you lose, just be a loveable loser, there's nothing Chuck & Howard have done to give themselves pity, instead gave a middle finger to a large portion of the fan base by going against Chris Hansen. Yes, my beef with team is strictly all about their arena opposition and their funding for anti-arena propaganda, it makes them look petty for being so active against it even after their "concerns" were proven false. We all know the real reason why, and then to find out they helped Clay Bennett out when he was here? The two at the top could catch a Muhammed Ali upper cut each!

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I hate this team. I hate that I'll be pouring over the minor moves they'll make in the offseason, I hate that I'll have any kind of hope for the team next year, I hate that next April I'll be sitting front row for opening day. I hate that when I go to games I find myself spending more time in the beer garden, I hate that my favorite sport is represented by this team.

I hope they make major moves and spend a lot of money. Let's pay for offense and hope these young pitchers turn out.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
The problem is the ownership group. Remember, the majority of the team is owned by the Nintendo Corporation, not an individual. They aren't interested in fielding a winning team on the field. All they care about is if the team is run in a way that shows a consistent profit margin. The Seattle fans' only hope is that the new TV contract makes it financially attractive to the Nintendo board to sell the team for a huge sum.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
m0ng0":qqncs5d3 said:
Should they have traded the prospects away for Justin Upton or Josh Hamilton or a 280lb 1st baseman who hit 25 homers?

*edit*

I looked a little deeper and compared the 3 above with Ibanez, Morales and Seager

Sigh..... Another Lincoln/Armstrong apologist....... :roll:
Never said they should have traded for Upton. A 280 LB first baseman that hits 25 homeruns would look good in this lineup and make the rest of the lineup better, is it the total answer no, but No pitchers fear Smoak, sorry!

The upper FO is risk adverse when it comes to paying for top tier talent. Other teams seem to make it work, but all these 2 clowns do is fail. Keep on being "patient", Chuck and Howard are counting on fans like you!

Do I need to bring up the stats of this teams W/L record under the reign of Chuck Armstrong, and Howard Lincoln????????????????? Face it, these 2 clowns are clueless and have no idea how to run a successful baseball team. To them they are selling a dog and pony show, and apparently you are buying it.

chris98251

Reaction score
The problem I have seen as a trend with Armstrong and Lincoln is they don't let the GM do his job nor the Manager, every thing has to be approved by them or go through them. Why Gillick and Pinella left and some others.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":3kzwbkmt said:
The problem I have seen as a trend with Armstrong and Lincoln is they don't let the GM do his job nor the Manager, every thing has to be approved by them or go through them. Why Gillick and Pinella left and some others.
That's a big the part of the problem, you want hear that from the Howard and Chuck fanclub though!
To them the reason the Mariners have been door mats over the last decade is just plain dumb luck!
They are like Cowboys fans saying their GM Jerry Jones isn't the problem when everyone outside of a few know he is.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well we stopped winning when the GM stopped looking at young talent on other teams, situations like bringing in a guy like Randy Johnson who had control problems, trading a known ageing power bat Ke Phelps if i remember correctly for Jay Buhner, those kinds of moves that move older players or costly one such as Langston was at the time for a stable of young talent ready to pop. That and add a good farm system like those days with Griffey and Arod. Thats what has been lacking. It's talent evaluation that hits more then misses and doing it for players ready to pop not that have and are on the decline.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":6q6dkcbt said:
m0ng0":6q6dkcbt said:

*edit*

Never said they should have traded for Upton. A 280 LB first baseman that hits 25 homeruns would look good in this lineup and make the rest of the lineup better, is it the total answer no, but No pitchers fear Smoak, sorry!

The upper FO is risk adverse when it comes to paying for top tier talent. Other teams seem to make it work, but all these 2 clowns do is fail. Keep on being "patient", Chuck and Howard are counting on fans like you!

Do I need to bring up the stats of this teams W/L record under the reign of Chuck Armstrong, and Howard Lincoln????????????????? Face it, these 2 clowns are clueless and have no idea how to run a successful baseball team. To them they are selling a dog and pony show, and apparently you are buying it.

Excuse me? I could give a damn who chuck or howard are, I pointed out 3 free agents that the league was all hot and bothered about that for one reason or another we did not sign, and none of them appear to be smart moves considering their salary or as you say it top tier talent, the angels built a fantasy team that was damn near as dreadful as Seattle, you hate the mariners I get that, you choose not to support them I get that, you offer no solutions just constant bitching bout chuck and howard, blah blah blah we have already heard all of this before......

m0ng0

Reaction score
chris98251":m7p9dhyj said:
Well we stopped winning when the GM stopped looking at young talent on other teams, situations like bringing in a guy like Randy Johnson who had control problems, trading a known ageing power bat Ke Phelps if i remember correctly for Jay Buhner, those kinds of moves that move older players or costly one such as Langston was at the time for a stable of young talent ready to pop. That and add a good farm system like those days with Griffey and Arod. Thats what has been lacking. It's talent evaluation that hits more then misses and doing it for players ready to pop not that have and are on the decline.
I do understand what you are saying however we don't have the chips to play this game, we have nothing worth much at the moment, Langston was a stud when we traded him. I agree talent evaluation is the key along with development of said talent. They have a nice young core that hopefully they continue to build around, I must say I am happy with walker and paxton, miller, zunino, franklin and even seagar and smoak showed something late this year.

chris98251

Reaction score
m0ng0":21jw0qkx said:
chris98251":21jw0qkx said:
I do understand what you are saying however we don't have the chips to play this game, we have nothing worth much at the moment, Langston was a stud when we traded him. I agree talent evaluation is the key along with development of said talent. They have a nice young core that hopefully they continue to build around, I must say I am happy with walker and paxton, miller, zunino, franklin and even seagar and smoak showed something late this year.

Your looking at just this year, I'm talking about the last ten years, we have had players that had value we let walk for nothing or traded for peanuts. From Bavasi to Z the GM has been held in check by the Armstrong Lincoln regime, and the Managers. Z has built a good farm and it may take a few years for the young players to solidify as Major League guys, but as soon as they have a contract come up or a year where they play lights out we deal them. Been how we operate.

Exception was Ichiro who we kept one contract to long and of course Felix who I'm not sure keeping was a great baseball move as much as a revenue and name move to bring fans here on the days he pitches.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
m0ng0":pjakeb7m said:
Sports Hernia":pjakeb7m said:
m0ng0":pjakeb7m said:

*edit*

Excuse me? I could give a damn who chuck or howard are, I pointed out 3 free agents that the league was all hot and bothered about that for one reason or another we did not sign, and none of them appear to be smart moves considering their salary or as you say it top tier talent, the angels built a fantasy team that was damn near as dreadful as Seattle, you hate the mariners I get that, you choose not to support them I get that, you offer no solutions just constant bitching bout chuck and howard, blah blah blah we have already heard all of this before......
Yep, you got me here..... I hate the M's so much, I've only been a fan since their inception in 1977! Way to play the "superfan" card there Skippy! Epic Fail YOU!

OK wiseguy since YOU claim to have all of the answers and you are so butthurt that someone is critical of your heros (chuck and howard) what is your suggestion????? And being patient, and waiting for the rest of the division to suck, ain't a plan!
This should be good! :sarcasm_off:

m0ng0

Reaction score
butthurt, skippy, epic fail, wiseguy and of course

chuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howard.

have a nice day sweetie pie

hawk45

Reaction score
I'm not much of a fan of the Ms and I pity you guys who are but at what point does the "good farm system" thing get challenged? At least in terms of young hitters, doesn't one of the young guys have to come up and have consistent success to validate that?

Every year seems like 1 or 2 youngsters will have a decent stretch, and those are held up as reasons to be patient, then next year they suck, and a couple other young guys will do okay for a little and be the new hope.

Hawker

Reaction score
I immediately feel bad for the next man up. The Mariners had better open up the wallet and by a LOT and sign a couple free agents in their prime. A couple of our young guys showed promise at the end of the year. But we have a ways to go before we'd ever compete with the Rangers.

I wasn't a big fan of Wedge's track record when he came here but then again, he had a pretty inferior group of players to manage in Cleveland and Baltimore prior to the scrubs he acquired here in Seattle. IMHO the manager who comes in (or gets promoted from within) should be the third-highest paid on the club (to Kuma & Felix) for all that he will have to do to get this club back to relevance/mediocrity/non-suckage/consistency.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
m0ng0":z383d8vb said:
butthurt, skippy, epic fail, wiseguy and of course

chuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howardchuck and howard.

have a nice day sweetie pie
:34853_doh:
So you have no plan and the status quo of suck is just fine with you, :sarcasm_on: Nice. :sarcasm_off: Enjoy the hat trick, video hydroplane races, dancing groundskeepers, and empty stadium! Your 2 heros thank you for being a rube, congrats on that Junior!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawk45":cd3aendw said:
I'm not much of a fan of the Ms and I pity you guys who are but at what point does the "good farm system" thing get challenged? At least in terms of young hitters, doesn't one of the young guys have to come up and have consistent success to validate that?

Every year seems like 1 or 2 youngsters will have a decent stretch, and those are held up as reasons to be patient, then next year they suck, and a couple other young guys will do okay for a little and be the new hope.
Kyle Seager is the only young bat that shown any consistency. The M's have some good young arms, at the MLB level or close to it. They may have to trade one or two to get a true middle of the order bat if they can find a taker. I have zero faith they will sign any big names via FA as they have no interest in outbidding the big boys.

m0ng0

Reaction score
they can't sign top tier talent without massively overpaying, they can possibly get guys like Jacoby Ellsbury or Tim Lincecum because they have ties to the area but even that is a stretch. Do we outbid the yankees for maybe 330 mill for Robinson Cano? Do we overpay to keep Kendry Morales? What do we do with Montero?

The FA market in 2014 is full of guys we already have except ours are younger and on much cheaper contracts, until the team starts winning consistently we will not be a major player in the FA market. Zunino and Franklin are 23? Miller and Almonte are 24. Seager is established enough I suppose. Pull the plug on Smoak and Saunders yeah probably. Walker and Paxton look like they may pan out, They have to draft better and develop talent and not let it go. Thats kinda what Seattle is doing but it takes time.

Are there players in Japan or in the Caribbean leagues we could take a flyer on? Its a risk but its not a 300 million dollar risk

Spending money just because we can is not always the best idea. Look at Texas, Angels, Blue Jays, Phillies and Yankees they threw lots of money at players and they are all sitting at home now also.