How do the Seahawks "incentivize" PS players to stay?

pehawk

Reaction score
I know we have some great CBA minds on this board, so maybe they can pitch in.

I've always found it "odd" the Seahawks never have their PS rotation backfire on them. With Bradford, there's NO reason a team like the Giants, New Orleans, Atlanta, to name a few DONT make a play for him. He'd conceivably be an instant upgrade to their backups, and may be good enough to start on a few teams, IMO. So, what's stopping them?

Are the Seahawks allowed to offer additional incentives for these players to stay? I know facilities and "perks" aren't under the CBA. Its probably similar to working in corporate America. I stayed employed by Mr Ballmer a lot longer because of the benefits. Is it similar?

It just strikes me odd...and you know..."Pete the Cheat...."

mikeak

Reaction score
Hey X why don't you use those weights over there

hey Coach I found an envelope with a bunch of money in it

WOW lucky you well enjoy.......

sc85sis

Reaction score
You mean like the incentive for playing for one of the best coaches, the best GM's, and the best owners in the National Football League?

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":3gdg3133 said:
You mean like the incentive for playing for one of the best coaches, the best GM's, and the best owners in the National Football League?

That does have a HUGE value. And, I hope you know with the Pete the Cheat comment.

But, at some point, a guaranteed salary and more for your children even trumps working for Pete. It's a tad naïve to ignore that.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I wonder if they continue to pay these guys at the rate they were being paid at when they were on the PS if the player agrees to be 'on hold'. As far. As Bradford is concerned isn't his salary guaranteed after he played the 1st game or does he not have vest veteran status yet? I don't know the answers to either question but if JS keeps rolling the PS over and bringing players back the the effective size of the PS is increased in direct proportion to the number of changes made with players who are experienced in the team's system.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
As I recall practice squad contracts can be negotiated, meaning you could outbid someone to stay on your practice squad.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'm not sure I follow. If another team thought any of our PS players were worth a roster spot, then they would offer them a contract, and I'm sure 9 times out of 10, the PS player would accept (regardless of how much they love our Seahawks -- a job is a job). No one on our current PS has been deemed a "final 53" level player by the rest of the league, and that's the only reason they're still available for our practice squad.

If another team wants Bradford, they will put a waiver claim on him. There will be no opportunity for Seattle to "incentivize" him to stay. If he actually makes the PS, then there's also no reason to "incentivize" him, because that means no one else wants him.

And finally, you can't poach another team's practice squad player to put them on your own practice squad. They have to be given a roster spot and paid for at least a few weeks.

Cartire

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2o3a9jbn said:
I'm not sure I follow. If another team thought any of our PS players were worth a roster spot, then they would offer them a contract, and I'm sure 9 times out of 10, the PS player would accept (regardless of how much they love our Seahawks -- a job is a job). No one on our current PS has been deemed a "final 53" level player by the rest of the league, and that's the only reason they're still available for our practice squad.

If another team wants Bradford, they will put a waiver claim on him. There will be no opportunity for Seattle to "incentivize" him to stay. If he actually makes the PS, then there's also no reason to "incentivize" him, because that means no one else wants him.

And finally, you can't poach another team's practice squad player to put them on your own practice squad. They have to be given a roster spot and paid for at least a few weeks.

What this man said is correct.

Bradford wont make it past the 9ers. Harbough is such a douche, he'll grab him just to get intel.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3fd4gw67 said:

I disagree. I think there's something else that makes other teams not even bother with Seahawks PS types. Yeah, I get it, Bradford isn't "technically" a 53-man roster type. But, that's here.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
pehawk":3pv4dt8u said:
DavidSeven":3pv4dt8u said:

I disagree. I think there's something else that makes other teams not even bother with Seahawks PS types. Yeah, I get it, Bradford isn't "technically" a 53-man roster type. But, that's here.

What? A ton of our cuts were claimed this off-season (e.g. Guy, McGrath, Howard, etc.). The guys that cleared waivers aren't that good. Our most promising PS player was signed by the 49ers (Harper). Bradford will probably get claimed, too. Who else is worth going after?

drdiags

Reaction score
Not sure how they do it, but if I were such a player, rotating me off and on the PS wouldn't give me any incentive for hanging around. It works for them but not how I would want to make the team. Different perspective than the guy who has made it his career and wants any and all chances to flourish in the league.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Well, there's also Free Agents coming here on shorter, less guaranteed monies than their market value. I understand that; culture, winning, Wilson, fair dealings (from GM) and Pete all contribute to that. But the Seahawks aren't the first team ever to offer such things, but I'd wager they've made the most out of it.

Maybe my skepticism is clouding my judgment on this...but it just seems there has to be a bit more to it.

And Seven, again, I laid out a specific "real world" scenario most of us face at one point in our lives. I stayed somewhere longer because of additional perks offered. I'm not alone in that.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":15u9vjqo said:
As I recall practice squad contracts can be negotiated, meaning you could outbid someone to stay on your practice squad.

This.

The Seahawks routinely pay guys extra to be on their PS and often will give a guy a signing bonus i.e. if he goes off, and then gets signed again to the PS, they might very well give him $5k or $10k for the trouble i.e. he's basically being compensated for the time he wasn't on the PS.

PS salaries don't count against the cap, and while there are minimums mandated by the CBA, I think technically there's no maximum...

seedhawk

Reaction score
BocciHawk":19evo2w0 said:
Popeyejones":19evo2w0 said:

This.

The Seahawks routinely pay guys extra to be on their PS and often will give a guy a signing bonus i.e. if he goes off, and then gets signed again to the PS, they might very well give him $5k or $10k for the trouble i.e. he's basically being compensated for the time he wasn't on the PS.

PS salaries don't count against the cap, and while there are minimums mandated by the CBA, I think technically there's no maximum...

I believe you are incorrect. PS salaries are even for all teams at basically $5700/week. Since the rook minimum is over twice that, it is easy to see why a PS player would sign with another team. Guaranteed 5 weeks of more than double salary.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Right, to quote that, I got most of it right, and one bit wrong:

"Practice squad players earn significantly less than players on the active roster, but they still take home a solid weekly paycheck. NFL practice squad players make a minimum of $6,000 per week they are on the practice squad. There is no limit to how much a team can pay a player on the practice squad. Some will offer a higher weekly salary in order to entice better players to sign, although the practice squad contracts do count against the salary cap.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have paid practice squad players significantly more in recent seasons. In 2010, Tampa Bay offered wide receiver Dezmon Briscoe a contract worth equivalent to the minimum salary to entice him to sign to its practice squad.

If a player remains on the practice squad for an entire regular season, he would earn $102,000. A player with less than one accrued season on the active roster would earn a minimum salary of $405,000."

i.e. you can pay whatever you like, but it counts against the cap.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Yes, they get rings.

To clarify the questions; do you think the Seahawks offer anything, "benefit" wise to have their players stay here? They seem to have a fairly high retention rate, when their roster depth is used as a variable.