Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina

pehawk

Reaction score
I have a feeling #3 wont let silly things like 10 AM or road history be an issue any more. Here we all are debating as if we've ever had a top 5 QB before. It's different. So different we don't know how to react.

I don't blame any of you for holding on to doubt, we're a victimized, beaten down fanbase. But, not anymore.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
kearly":2e1fjors said:
I'd probably put the odds at -1 Carolina. Seattle is statistically (DVOA) close to a dead average team on the road, plays worse than that at 10 am, and Carolina is riding a 4 game winning streak from the end of last season. Their weighted DVOA defense ranked 12th last season after finishing dead last year prior. They finished the year on a bit of a roll on defense and that was before they drafted two promising DTs in the draft to shore up their defense's biggest weakness. If you've watched Luke Kuechly play, particularly this preseason, you know how much of a monster he's becoming.

By contrast, Seattle is hobbled and stumbling a bit. They will be starting their 4th and 5th string pass rushers on the ends. We probably have the best #4 and #5 options in the league, but still, these guys were considered roster fringe less than a month ago. Russell Wilson has shown different varieties of rust in each preseason game so far.

Carolina's run defense ranked 11th last season and that was without Star Lotulelei and Jon Beason, who are both outstanding run defenders. I hope Pete has the brains to be more pass oriented in this game- Carolina's pass defense is merely average but their run defense could be a problem. Very similar to the situation in Miami last year.

Our saving grace is that Cam Newton struggled last season and hasn't gotten better this preseason. Carolina's running game (sans Newton) was a joke even before they lost Stewart. Barring injury our run defense looks special. Shutting out Carolina's offense is a real possibility, although it's worth noting that Seattle actually lost a game last season against a team that didn't score an offensive touchdown, and they nearly lost two more against teams that scored 14 points or less. Also, our defense had most of their worst performances in 10 starts am last season.

Sure, those were early season games before Wilson clicked, but Wilson hasn't looked like he's in mid-season form this preseason and is making uncharacteristic mistakes. Teams have figured out how to make Wilson uncomfortable with interior pressure, delayed blitzing and gap-controlling D-lineman. It's up to Wilson and Bevell to prove they can adjust. I think they will eventually, but immediately? That would surprise me.

I do think our offense is going to be amazing this year, but it could hit a bump at Carolina since Wilson is struggling and even the best run games tend to hit a wall against very good run defenses. And if the penalties show up like they did in the preseason, I would almost expect an ugly loss.

IMO, this is the toughest game of the season. 10am, summer heat, under-rated team that matches up well against us, SF the week after, week 1 which is upset central, Wilson not looking quite like himself, and then key injuries.

If we lose, I won't be surprised and I won't take it any harder than if we lost at Atlanta or SF. This is going to be a TOUGH game to win unless Seattle plays mistake free, which they haven't been, lately. I'd give Seattle probably a 45% chance to win. It's a huge game, especially if Carolina becomes a WC contender later this season, but if we do lose I'd count it as a losable game that we didn't win.
I am totally with Kearly on this. I stated my opinion very early in the thread and got called an idiot for it. I am not wearing rose-colored glasses here. Kearly pretty much summed up everything I wanted to point out. I WANT us to win badly but if we lose, I won't be shocked at all. The first team(including Wilson) has not impressed me at all. Add the injuries...Well. I think I will just pray for a miracle.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":1zm2fasd said:
We shouldn't be. Carolina is a much better team now than the one we faced last season. We have key players that will/might not play. The oddsmakers are dumb here. JMO.

Aren't the Seahawks better too? Russell was still under wraps in last year's game.

Seahawks 34
Panthers 13

zhawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2kczquli said:
KCHawkGirl":2kczquli said:
I think the 10am thing is dead and gone with us, and I think this year will demonstrate that. It was basically irrelevant last year, and we're a better team in 2013.
I certainly agree with this.

Not sure why you would think the 10am thing is dead and gone considering the very last game this team played was at 10am and they started it like crap
well, for one, that game was not against Carolina. :stirthepot:

Joat

Reaction score
Who are you guys going to be missing in this game?

Panthers will be without Jonathan Stewart and RG Amini Silatolu.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Joat":2ielmgq1 said:
Who are you guys going to be missing in this game?

Panthers will be without Jonathan Stewart and RG Amini Silatolu.

All of our known passrushers. And Percy Harvin.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":3fzgjmlz said:
I'd probably put the odds at -1 Carolina. Seattle is statistically (DVOA) close to a dead average team on the road, plays worse than that at 10 am, and Carolina is riding a 4 game winning streak from the end of last season. Their weighted DVOA defense ranked 12th last season after finishing dead last year prior. They finished the year on a bit of a roll on defense and that was before they drafted two promising DTs in the draft to shore up their defense's biggest weakness. If you've watched Luke Kuechly play, particularly this preseason, you know how much of a monster he's becoming.

By contrast, Seattle is hobbled and stumbling a bit. They will be starting their 4th and 5th string pass rushers on the ends. We probably have the best #4 and #5 options in the league, but still, these guys were considered roster fringe less than a month ago. Russell Wilson has shown different varieties of rust in each preseason game so far.

Carolina's run defense ranked 11th last season and that was without Star Lotulelei and Jon Beason, who are both outstanding run defenders. I hope Pete has the brains to be more pass oriented in this game- Carolina's pass defense is merely average but their run defense could be a problem. Very similar to the situation in Miami last year.

Our saving grace is that Cam Newton struggled last season and hasn't gotten better this preseason. Carolina's running game (sans Newton) was a joke even before they lost Stewart. Barring injury our run defense looks special. Shutting out Carolina's offense is a real possibility, although it's worth noting that Seattle actually lost a game last season against a team that didn't score an offensive touchdown, and they nearly lost two more against teams that scored 14 points or less. Also, our defense had most of their worst performances in 10 starts am last season.

Sure, those were early season games before Wilson clicked, but Wilson hasn't looked like he's in mid-season form this preseason and is making uncharacteristic mistakes. Teams have figured out how to make Wilson uncomfortable with interior pressure, delayed blitzing and gap-controlling D-lineman. It's up to Wilson and Bevell to prove they can adjust. I think they will eventually, but immediately? That would surprise me.

I do think our offense is going to be amazing this year, but it could hit a bump at Carolina since Wilson is struggling and even the best run games tend to hit a wall against very good run defenses. And if the penalties show up like they did in the preseason, I would almost expect an ugly loss.

IMO, this is the toughest game of the season. 10am, summer heat, under-rated team that matches up well against us, SF the week after, week 1 which is upset central, Wilson not looking quite like himself, and then key injuries.

If we lose, I won't be surprised and I won't take it any harder than if we lost at Atlanta or SF. This is going to be a TOUGH game to win unless Seattle plays mistake free, which they haven't been, lately. I'd give Seattle probably a 45% chance to win. It's a huge game, especially if Carolina becomes a WC contender later this season, but if we do lose I'd count it as a losable game that we didn't win.
Kip, I don't often think you are wrong, but I think you have this one way off. The summer heat is about the only concern I agree with, and that is a big one.

Wilson is not struggling. I simply don't see how you are calling pre-season tinkering with an offense is equal to struggling. A bit of read option will serve to freeze some DE and safeties, things we simply did not for good reason see in the pre-season. The run game might struggle, and if it does this could be a low scoring affair.

You have been really impressed with how Carolina played late last year. I am not. I watched those games, they beat really bad teams with one exception, Atlanta, and we saw first hand how a mobile QB turns taht Atlanta D inside out.

Worthy of note: Rivera is not a good HC. Carolina is playing out the string with him. And Cam may have a new OC, but the much touted offensive changes this yer have mostly amounted to just letting Cam do what Cam does best and more run game. Chud was in error trying to make Cam play more traditional. But Seattle's strength is lateral speed on defense, which is where Cam makes his hay, and down the numbers to the sidelines press coverage, which is where Cam makes his best throws.

But there is the heat.

Joat

Reaction score
Chud FINALLY let Cam play more traditional and that's when the offense turned around. We abandoned a lot of the zone read crap and went for a more conservative play action offense. As a result Cam finished as one of the hottest passers in the league. Chud was terrible at getting too fancy. We're recommitted to the run game in a traditional sense and I think it's going to pay dividends.

You have a terrific D, but your lack of a pass rush will allow Cam time to throw and I think that'll will make a huge impact. Even the best secodary can't cover forever and I like Olsen in this game.

We have no household names in our secondary, but I like this group. Wilson isn't experienced enough as a passer to really worry me about him "fooling" the young CB's. I do think our front 7 is going to put a lot of pressure on him.

themunn

Reaction score
Joat":ko8xq16b said:
Chud FINALLY let Cam play more traditional and that's when the offense turned around. We abandoned a lot of the zone read crap and went for a more conservative play action offense. As a result Cam finished as one of the hottest passers in the league. Chud was terrible at getting too fancy. We're recommitted to the run game in a traditional sense and I think it's going to pay dividends.

You have a terrific D, but your lack of a pass rush will allow Cam time to throw and I think that'll will make a huge impact. Even the best secodary can't cover forever and I like Olsen in this game.

We have no household names in our secondary, but I like this group. Wilson isn't experienced enough as a passer to really worry me about him "fooling" the young CB's. I do think our front 7 is going to put a lot of pressure on him.

What makes you think Cam is more experienced than Wilson as a passer?
As a starter, Wilson has 4 years of college experience plus 1 year as a pro to Cam's 1 year of College experience and 2 years as a pro.
And while your pass rush might get pressure on him, he's probably the best player in the league at escaping pressure, never mind the fact that in his last 8 regular season games he posted a passer rating of over 100 in 7 of them. The one game he managed a "paltry" 88 rating? He was pulled one series after halftime because we were 45-0 up.

Joat

Reaction score
themunn":2g7rs2un said:
What makes you think Cam is more experienced than Wilson as a passer?
As a starter, Wilson has 4 years of college experience plus 1 year as a pro to Cam's 1 year of College experience and 2 years as a pro.
And while your pass rush might get pressure on him, he's probably the best player in the league at escaping pressure, never mind the fact that in his last 8 regular season games he posted a passer rating of over 100 in 7 of them. The one game he managed a "paltry" 88 rating? He was pulled one series after halftime because we were 45-0 up.

I didn't compare Wilson to Cam, I was speaking in respect to Wilson vs NFL defenders who are used to the likes of Matt Ryan, Drew Brees. I doubt his ability to move defenders with his eyes, great ball fakes and body language is where it needs to be to manipulate our D.

As a passer Wilson is far more polished than Newton.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
If Carolina wins, they will be the first team to win a rematch with Wilson. 3-0 so far.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
MysterMatt":2kqubjfs said:
I expect a sloppy game, and as much as I like our prospects for the season, this one concerns me. Getting out with a win by a field goal will be just fine by me.
I agree, with all the Hype and the travel this game worries me. I'm not really sold on the offensive guard situation at this stage of the season either. I'm sweat'n this one out from start to finish!

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
As much as I hate to say it, I predicted a loss and can see it going poorly for us. This team does still have some proving to do in a few areas, and obviously early road games is one. We weren't good to start the year and I need to be shown that the last half of 2012 wasn't lightning in a bottle.

Traveling across the country to open the season is difficult for anyone, especially us historically. That's a tough environment to play in, but if we play as fast and hit as hard as the pre-season has shown, that will increase our chances dramatically if our offense isn't tight. I don't expect us to be able to win a boat race yet. If I were a betting man, it'd be Carolina at home with points.

Jville

Reaction score
I think the outcome will be decided by the officials with confusion over points of emphasis and subjective interpretation.

vonstout

Reaction score
Carolina has been aweful early in the year under Rivera. Now they have Shula as their OC and he was flat out terrible in TB. The biggestconcern is the 10 am start. Other than that, this is a game we should win if we are a serious contender.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I do remember RW's 56 yard strike to Tate at the Panther's 12, that got called back with an extra 10 yards because of Giacomini's hold.

I also remember a 19 yard pass to some TE for a crucial 3rd down conversion that was called back 15 yards because Gio knocked a dude off his feet and out of bounds which drew a personal foul/late hit.

Penalties happen and those plays never happened because of them, but to say we started slow because 1 man was stinking it up and called back some of our crucial plays until he got benched, is stretching the truth somewhat.

hawk79

Reaction score
I love the fact that we are opening on the road, 10 am game (1 pm ET actually) and against a team that finished pretty strong last year. I just hope not a repeat of the '05 season opener. Great test!

Joat

Reaction score
I'm interested in seeing a new OC vs a new DC.