Random Thoughts™ on the Raiders preseason game

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Hawks46":o55uv0i2 said:
Totally agree on the S. Williams catch. That was a TD if Wilson hits him in stride. One thing I'm seeing is that Williams is legitimately beating db's, not just winning jump balls at 6'5". On the replay, it looked like he ran a skinny post, released to the inside of the corner, then flared back a bit outside of the safety and just blew right by him. This surprised me as it seems like the Seahawks just keep telling Williams to go deep to see how many times it really will work. It's not a surprised to the opposition at tis point, and he's still getting open by a good margin.

Harper probably lost his roster spot, and I'm hoping he played bad enough to make it through waivers to the PS. He's a really big WR; people comapre him to Boldin but he's actually a LOT bigger. On both of his drops he was wide open; the guy gets separation, but he doesn't seem to know what to do with it. I think at KState he ran a ton of crossing routes, outs, etc. I forget the QBs name, but he didn't have an arm, and it doesn't look like Harper is used to just being able to outrun people. On his one catch, you can see what the coaching staff likes though....he got "lit up" by the Safety. I mean, that safety measured him up and went for the highlight reel, and yet Harper's head barely even snapped back. He's just that solid, and if he can learn our route trees well, and catch the damn ball, he' going to be murder to tackle by Nickle CBs.

I like me some Christine Michael, but I see why Turbin is ahead of him. Turbin has a year of experience in this offense and it shows; he knows what holes to hit, and when to dive into the line and call it a day. He's unspectacular, but incredibly solid. Michael has some Barry Sanders to him. He's explosive, but he dances too much and doesn't always trust his reads, or he's just not seeing them as quickly as Turbin is. Michael is a boom or bust guy; he's either going to lose you a few yards or bust a good one, but it seems to be up and down. I hope to hell we keep Lynch, Turbin and Michael active all 16 games, as I think Christine could be our secret weapon come playoff time.

I think Irvin is going to be damned good at where he's at. He's showing good instincts, and ability to diagnose plays, but his biggest problem still seems to be getting caught up in the wash. That's actually an instinct in itself, and also one of the tougher things to do as a LBer...diagnosing and following the play, while running through the wash of the line without taking your eyes off the ball carrier and still managing to shed blocks. Coverage was so much easier for me. But, I think this is the first time Bruce has actually ever played the position, and he's showing very well for that kind of inexperience. I won't try to call his sack totals, or claim he won't get 8 ever again, but he's going to make some impact plays from that LB spot. This might be the player I'm most excited to see develop this year.

Good post. My only quibble is the running style comment. I don't think Turbin even makes reads after the handoff, he just executes the assignment every time and often that is not a good thing. Lynch is making reads after the handoff on every carry, it's a major reason he's as good as he is. Michael has the same talent, but it's true the he made some poor cutback decisions in the final preseason game. Overall though, Michael has beaten some poor run blocking situations this preseason, Turbin has not. Turbin is completely at the mercy of his run blocking. I think if they are picking a #2 RB just on running ability, it's Michael getting the job without question. I think they just like the polish Turbin has in other areas.

I'll watch Irvin closely to see how he does, but I thought it was remarkable how well he navigated traffic in the GB game.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
pehawk":3bmfjpnz said:
Michael needs to sit on the sidelines this year ; to grow patience and understanding of the schemes. He's an AMAZING talent, but he will lose yardage in the regular season on the occasional play, and that's just not acceptable at this point. No Seahawks RB should lose yardage, at minimum it should always be no gain.

Give Michael a little more time and understanding, and he'll be quite the weapon. In the interim, give him 2-4 touches a game on read-options, shovel sweeps, bubbles, etc. Minimize his naivety to the Seahawks running schemes.

I like this. Put him in the best possible situations to use his skillset. Get him into space. I do think getting some limited reps behind the number one offensive line will speed his development and understanding.

I'm really happy TE Willson has continued his improvement. Having him as a viable #2 to get 1st downs and block is going to allow us to use our entire playbook. He's a really smooth athlete and as has been mentioned, a willing blocker. He'll need to be spoon fed early, but I'm envisioning a steady progression.

pehawk

Reaction score
Irvin looked pretty natural in coverage, IMO.

I've been ringing this bell since the GB game, but I think Irvin arrives, BIG TIME, upon his return. By game 5 the line should be back at full health, with crazy versatility and interchangeable parts. And, all Irvin will have to do is standing up along side that potpourri of DL talents, choosing lanes to get to the QB.

Oddly, his role this year would've been better for him last year. Less thinking more "attacking". "Get the QB Bruce, simple". Not too much coaching-up involved there.

I'm damn excited.

chris98251

Reaction score
Just thinking or typing out loud so to speak, notice we have been using the TE a lot as a FB during pre season, I know that Coleman has been playing as well but when we look at Roster spots aside from Robinson as our starter do we keep more TE's and use one as the back up FB as well as our regular run blocking TE rather then say keep Coleman? This would allow us to have Ware, Michaels,Turin, and Lynch as well.

Tical21

Reaction score
pehawk":2zbldg35 said:
Irvin looked pretty natural in coverage, IMO.

I've been ringing this bell since the GB game, but I think Irvin arrives, BIG TIME, upon his return. By game 5 the line should be back at full health, with crazy versatility and interchangeable parts. And, all Irvin will have to do is standing up along side that potpourri of DL talents, choosing lanes to get to the QB.

Oddly, his role this year would've been better for him last year. Less thinking more "attacking". "Get the QB Bruce, simple". Not too much coaching-up involved there.

I'm damn excited.
I thought he looked a little lost in coverage. The good news was that he diagnosed the plays rather quickly on play-action. He would get right into his backpedal. But he had zero feel for what was going on around him. He simply dropped back and shuffled his feet according to where the QB was looking. All-in-all, it isn't terrible, but more often than not, he was all alone on one side of the field covering nobody. He needs to learn to squeeze the zones and find the nearest receiver if nobody is going to come into his area. It is just about realizing where the players are and building instincts to where they are probably going. The Raiders ran a good number of plays out of the I-formation with twins on the side opposite of the TE. Irvin of course lined up over the TE. On play-action, his first read is the TE. If he passes the TE off inside, he needs to see if there is a back coming into the flat. If there isn't, he needs to squeeze on the TE and look for any crossing routes from the WR's on the opposite side, rather than just standing there and watching the QB.

On running plays, he held up okay at the point of attack, but showed no ability to get off blocks. He definitely has some tools, but he is most certainly a project.

pehawk

Reaction score
Word, good stuff Tical.

Maybe "looked good" was a poor choice of words. He didn't look like a DE in zone coverage; maybe be more apropos? I kept assuming "okay, this wont be graceful...", but that wasn't the case.

McGruff

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":3nlna0nv said:
I wasn't able to watch the game , Anybody know if my boy Dwayne Cherrington played well?

I watched him a couple of plays, and nothing stood out other than he is one short, fat, round fellow.

Latest posts