The Chris Harper dilemma

kigenzun

Reaction score
It was sad watching my 'Adopt A Rookie' do his best TO imitation dropping sure TDs. YAY!
And holding my tongue while easy 1st downs go bouncing off his "known for his sure hands in college"! HooRAYY!!

Geez louise. At this point I honestly don't see him making the Seahawks 53.

As is, all I have left is Luke Willson, but at least he looks to be "gettin' it", whereas Harper looked like a deer in the headlights, with a one-way ticket on a slow plane to Jacksonville...

ps I know I know. I'm sorry, but as of this moment I no longer consider him a Hawk(I'd be astonished if he plays another down for us...), and I can't root for the Jags either. bbye H-aar-per. :cry:

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Just my opinion -- Harper makes the 53 and is gameday inactive most of the year. He clearly has talent and a unique body size. I just see a guy who needs a year to develop. We talk all the time about how John/Pete will dump a player even if he's a high draft pick, but they also kept Jaye Howard around last year to sit and watch. You can afford to do that with maybe 1 guy a year.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2u352u71 said:
Just my opinion -- Harper makes the 53 and is gameday inactive most of the year. He clearly has talent and a unique body size. I just see a guy who needs a year to develop. We talk all the time about how John/Pete will dump a player even if he's a high draft pick, but they also kept Jaye Howard around last year to sit and watch. You can afford to do that with maybe 1 guy a year.

They could have afforded to stash him if we had the same WR group as last year, but with Williams and eventually Harvin added to the mix, I just don't see the space. We also didn't have a ton of depth at DL last year, so it made it pretty easy to stash Howard away. There are also far better candidates for the one "stash and develop" spot on the team (Mayowa, Lotulelei, Coleman, Ware, etc.).

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Well for what it's worth, I have 4 out of 5 of those guys on your list as making the 53. I'm taking Ware ahead of Coleman but it could go either way. I still believe draft picks get an edge but I'm old and stubborn so that may be a part of it.

Also -- rookie WRs just suck usually anyway. Nothing to be done about it. Golden Tate didn't do much as a rookie and now he's a starter. Jermaine Kearse looks like he's made huge strides year 1 to 2. Harper looks to me like he needs the number of Kearse's ophthalmologist.

pehawk

Reaction score
Every time I read Hawkstorians signature I ask myself "but when will the entertainment come, John?".

Agree all the way around, BTW, 'Storian. I think Ware has a tad more versatility than Coleman. They did line him up wide last night, and IMO, he can do that occasionally. He kind of reminds me of a more compact Lamar Smith (hopefully there's not Michael Friars).

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
olyfan63":3tzxlkd9 said:
Kearse already IS much of what we hope Harper *could* become. I'd feel confident seeing Kearse out on the field as a starter if one of our current starters were unable to go.

To be fair, Kearse wasn't what we hoped Harper could become his first year either. Now I understand the circumstances are different -- as Kearse's rookie year coincided with a lack of WR depth. Allowing him the opportunity to stick around and develop. Harper faces a much more crowded and accomplished receiving corps competition wise. There may not be the same ability to afford development time for Harper that benefitted Kearse.

Harper does appear to have a considerable road to hoe in order to be competitive with this group.

C-Dub

Reaction score
Coleman > Ware >> Harper

I think Coleman gets the roster spot on offense, and MRob doesn't go anywhere.

Cartire

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2v9dbp30 said:
olyfan63":2v9dbp30 said:
Kearse already IS much of what we hope Harper *could* become. I'd feel confident seeing Kearse out on the field as a starter if one of our current starters were unable to go.

To be fair, Kearse wasn't what we hoped Harper could become his first year either. Now I understand the circumstances are different -- as Kearse's rookie year coincided with a lack of WR depth. Allowing him the opportunity to stick around and develop. Harper faces a much more crowded and accomplished receiving corps competition wise. There may not be the same ability to afford development time for Harper that benefitted Kearse.

Harper does appear to have a considerable road to hoe in order to be competitive with this group.

Pretty much this was bound to happen regardless. Eventually, if your developmental WR's do workout like you hoped, your going to have to use them, or what is the point. WR's have a longer shelf life then RB's. Your going to top out eventually. Harper just came in at the wrong time and dropped the ball (pun intended) at the chances he got. No room to take a chance on him.

pehawk

Reaction score
Any fan, of any NFL team, will explain to why their "#5 and #6" WR's are the BOMB and best in the league. It's scientific law of NFL fanaticism, you always see SO much potential in your lower tier receivers (my Rosebud was Jordan Kent). But, with this version of the Seahawks, its actually true!

XOXO

James McKnight

Largent80

Reaction score
The dilemma is over. You don't drop catches in the end zone. Especially when your future depends on it. Too bad for him, but I want to win the SB and not have to worry about a fringe player to make a play.

There will be more draft picks next year. Time to move on.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I wouldn't take Harper over Lotu, Brooks, or Mayowa, all those guys were not draft picks but showed me more this preseason. Harper might make himself a spot though, he has obvious talent and size. The one catch he made was a catch a lot of WR won't hold onto. In Seattle though, he would have to show more unfortunately, I think he could stick in Jacksonville or Oakland.

Mick063

Reaction score
Harper will make it to the practice squad. The limited film on him doesn't really stand out. I doubt he gets claimed if exposed.

He did collect one ball while taking a good shot. Didn't follow it up though.

I could part ways with him.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Mick063":y9d9237u said:
Harper will make it to the practice squad. The limited film on him doesn't really stand out. I doubt he gets claimed if exposed.

Dude, theres no such thing as limited film on any player in todays technological world. And with how deep the Hawks are all around, every team is paying notice to this roster. Furthermore, when it comes to recently drafted players, most of the league just scouted the guys months ago. They're more than familiar.

Mick063

Reaction score
SeaTown81":2jex9m5h said:
Mick063":2jex9m5h said:

Dude, theres no such thing as limited film on any player in todays technological world. And with how deep the Hawks are all around, every team is paying notice to this roster. Furthermore, when it comes to recently drafted players, most of the league just scouted the guys months ago. They're more than familiar.

You are right.

Pre Season is obsolete.

edogg23

Reaction score
I think he will probably be safe on the practice squad, and if not, oh well... I think he has dropped more passes than he has caught in the pre-season.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Wasn't impressed at all with him, even when doing research after the draft he never really made his mark.

There are 5 solid players in Rice, Tate, Baldwin, Kearse, and Williams.

Phil Bates has shown more up to this point, but Harper is just as much a project as neither will see very much playing time at all. It's apples and oranges at this point, depends on what kind of player Coach wants and who he feels can contribute in more areas other than being a Sixth WR.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
I'm high on him, but no denying he had a bad game. Coaches are going to evaluate him for his body of work, not just a couple of drops, but with Williams and especially Kearse the WR depth is better than it has been in ages. I'm still not sure he makes it to the practice squad if that's the route the team decides to go. We've seen players like Maurice Mann *blast from past* get claimed. I'm hoping he sticks around.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I don't see us carrying 6 receivers this year (unless/until Harvin) anyway, and I don't feel picking Harper was a bad or dumb move. He had a reputation of being a good blocker and that might have been enough to carry / groom him if Harvin was active (and Williams and the new Chop Chop hadn't come along).

Harper screwed everybody, himself included, with that dropped TD last night. He catches it..or even extends the drive without his other drop, and we might be looking at a late rd pick for him in trade. Now?

I doubt he clears. Pete and JS have too good of a reputation for evaluating talent. We gave a 4th for him, someone will pick him up based on that fact alone. IMO.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
With Williams having the concussion that would give us only 4 healthy receivers if you want to include Rice as being healthy. I think he makes the team but isn't activated for most of the season.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
olyfan63":2gr43wbx said:

Yup....like 6 regular season receptions and he is there.