I know he is much maligned on here

UGotHawked

Reaction score
But I have liked what I have seen from Winston Guy the past two games. Just sayin.

MrCarey

Reaction score
Man, I hate the guy for his hits in practice, but he is making up for it on the field.

legend38

Reaction score
Was gonna post this earlier.He has looked legit since we were dogging on him after week two.He must be a .NETer.

GoHawks1212

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't get any of the praise being sent his way. 75% of the plays he's involved in, he's cleaning up someone else's good play. He's also extremely one dimensional, he's a thumper, but that's it, he couldn't cover a WR to save his life. And he honestly tends to Whiff more than he hits, he tries too hard to make the "big play". Anytime he get's within arms length of a defender, he acts like he just decleated the guy.

Too inconsistent, liability at practice and on the field, suspended 4 games last year for PED's, easy decision for me.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Looked like the primary backup SS tonight especially. Even did his Pred thing on the field after that dumpoff. I thought he looked like he was quite a bit better than Johnson tonight, who looked a little slow and took a bad angle on Pryor in particular. Speed is one thing, but the misjudged angle was a big no no, IMO.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":bais9kfw said:
He'll be a jag or a ninnie by week 1
Monumentaly stupid thinking in my opinion, But shortsighted thinking is legal in this country, in fact I would argue it's the expected baseline.

chris98251

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1dysojb6 said:
Looked like the primary backup SS tonight especially. Even did his Pred thing on the field after that dumpoff. I thought he looked like he was quite a bit better than Johnson tonight, who looked a little slow and took a bad angle on Pryor especially. Speed is one thing, but the misjudged angle was a big no no, IMO.

Have you tried to antisipate the angle on a guy that runs a 4.3 40.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
chris98251":1v519hw3 said:
vin.couve12":1v519hw3 said:
Looked like the primary backup SS tonight especially. Even did his Pred thing on the field after that dumpoff. I thought he looked like he was quite a bit better than Johnson tonight, who looked a little slow and took a bad angle on Pryor especially. Speed is one thing, but the misjudged angle was a big no no, IMO.

Have you tried to antisipate the angle on a guy that runs a 4.3 40.
Yes, in fact, I have. Angle becomes exponentially more important. Especially with the sideline as the extra defender.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well I have also and a misstep or a second of thought and they will be gone. A fast QB or RB or WR like that will make a lot of people look slow, besides the Free Safety is suppose to come down once he commits, we don't know Jerons first responsibility, you have to be aware of the dump or crossing patterns that Pryor could throw to as well.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It's a numbers game and Guy makes stupid mistakes each time. He did another one on ST tonight. He's just not bright enough to "get it".

vin.couve12

Reaction score
chris98251":y8m8cig0 said:
Well I have also and a misstep or a second of thought and they will be gone. A fast QB or RB or WR like that will make a lot of people look slow, besides the Free Safety is suppose to come down once he commits, we don't know Jerons first responsibility, you have to be aware of the dump or crossing patterns that Pryor could throw to as well.

I have no agenda here. I'd like to keep both as well as Shead, who I think has very high upside, even though Shead isn't going to beat out Maragos as that "practiced" backup center fielder. Jeron has been the more consistent performer previously, but IMO Guy looked more decisive and thus faster today. It's an observation that I believe has some merit. This team is too talented to take sides. If guys show up they show up and there is no question I'd like to keep too many players on this roster. Both Jeron and Winston included, but Guy flashed through my TV screen tonight a few times a la Kam.

OP
OP
U

UGotHawked

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1tqxqqgb said:
Looked like the primary backup SS tonight especially. Even did his Pred thing on the field after that dumpoff. I thought he looked like he was quite a bit better than Johnson tonight, who looked a little slow and took a bad angle on Pryor in particular. Speed is one thing, but the misjudged angle was a big no no, IMO.

Actually Jeron took TWO bad angles on Pryor. Came free on a blitz and had him dead to rights in the backfield, then Pryor separated him from his jockstrap.

bellingerga

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":1w67bfnr said:
Sports Hernia":1w67bfnr said:
Monumentaly stupid thinking in my opinion, But shortsighted thinking is legal in this country, in fact I would argue it's the expected baseline.

KCHawkGirl you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or are you always this horrible?

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
bellingerga":2mjulprf said:
KCHawkGirl":2mjulprf said:
Sports Hernia":2mjulprf said:

KCHawkGirl you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or are you always this horrible?

I'm trying to figure out what the hell she was even trying to convey

Seafan

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":q0ucfe51 said:
Sports Hernia":q0ucfe51 said:

I definitely agree with the 2nd part but Guy's probably done here. Jeron and Maragos are both smarter players.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The problem I have is that at some point you have to judge people on results.

I have no problem calling out mistakes, so long as you recognize successes too.

The other week Guy shot forward and put tried to shoulder tackle a guy going into the end zone. It would have been a terrible tackle because it wasn't wrapping anything up but since he was defending the end zone I could see him taking a risk to try to jar the ball loose. Which is exactly what happened. Sure he got lucky, but a wrap up wouldn't have done much good either - the receiver already had the ball and had momentum.

Now Guy made a few overly aggressive plays and he did some things that might get a penalty. But he also flew to the ball, was physical against the run and did a pretty good job locating the ball in the air. His actual best position is probably SS, so Ken Hamlin comparison is not far off. That said he isn't a complete liability in coverage either, he just is not stellar. But he is physical.

So give the guy credit for a good game. Some of the other players made mistakes in judgement that led to taking poor angles that let guys break free. He didn't. He actually did a decent job. And he is clearly getting better and making less mistakes with time.

Is he good enough to stick on the roster? Not unless he has any eligibility left for PS. Is he good enough to stick somewhere else? Absolutely. Buffalo needs secondary bad. So do about 5+ other teams, in fact the 49ers still need help there.

So all the Guy hate is ridiculous, he got better, had a good game and whether it was skill, or luck, or someone sacrificing baby goats on the rooftops to an ancient dark lord - somehow he did some good things out there. It isn't unreasonable to give him credit for that.