Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Well, I hope you all are right. Really. I am just worried about our weaknesses on the D-line, O-Line, and various injuries/suspensions(MRob, Carp, Clemons, Bennett, Irvin, Avril). Also, paper tigers or not, I see more talent on Carolina's squad(other than RB) than others here. I am not the only one who feels this way either.
This is a crucial game IMO. With our upcoming schedule, we need all the wins we can get. If we win this, I don't care if it's by 1 point or 20. Wins all count the same.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I wouldn't be shocked if they laid an egg for a few reasons:
1. Extreme heat and humidity
2. D line injuries against a team that can really run it
3. 10am start
4. Possibility of the typical Carroll era bad start to a game that they can't recover from because they aren't in top form yet

That said, when healthy, the hawks clearly SHOULD be able to handle a team like the panthers, so hopefully they do what they need to do and bludgeon them.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
This sounds eerily like the Arizona game on the road to open last season, sure, but a couple things:

1. This year's first game Russell Wilson is not last year's first game Russell Wilson.

2. This team has shown time and again they can come back even down against a good team.

3. We're worried about how the team's looked in preseason, when they haven't played half the starters who should be fine for game one.

It's okay to be worried. If the 'Hawks should win this one, let them step up and show they can. It may be an ugly win, but they should be able to get the job done.

grizbob

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2oozlgu8 said:
This sounds eerily like the Arizona game on the road to open last season, sure, but a couple things:

1. This year's first game Russell Wilson is not last year's first game Russell Wilson.

2. This team has shown time and again they can come back even down against a good team.

3. We're worried about how the team's looked in preseason, when they haven't played half the starters who should be fine for game one.

It's okay to be worried. If the 'Hawks should win this one, let them step up and show they can. It may be an ugly win, but they should be able to get the job done.

Can't argue with a thing, but to quote Chuck Knox, the only thing ugly in football is losing :th2thumbs:

hawk79

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":hz34mxd9 said:
I wouldn't be shocked if they laid an egg for a few reasons:
1. Extreme heat and humidity
2. D line injuries against a team that can really run it
3. 10am start
4. Possibility of the typical Carroll era bad start to a game that they can't recover from because they aren't in top form yet

That said, when healthy, the hawks clearly SHOULD be able to handle a team like the panthers, so hopefully they do what they need to do and bludgeon them.
Sadly, I agree with this. Carolina is going to be TOUGH. And I have a feeling Seattle is going to get off to a slow start, trying to find thier way. Remember, not how you start, it's how you finish and that might be the theme this season.

grizbob

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":17kw5pda said:
grizbob":17kw5pda said:
Can't argue with a thing, but to quote Chuck Knox, the only thing ugly in football is losing :th2thumbs:

Yep! Concur; with the caveat that "losing" also includes losing key players, a la a Pyrrhic victory.

:white_flag: had to dust off the dictionary :180670:

CornerHawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3e0kcnpl said:

Feels more like Miami to me. I hope Seattle doesn't get too conservative thinking they can win that way.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
hawk79":2nwzryrr said:
And I have a feeling Seattle is going to get off to a slow start, trying to find thier way.

We had a very slow start in a LOT of games last year, I hope that theme doesn't continue.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
RolandDeschain":ifmgdnwf said:
hawk79":ifmgdnwf said:
And I have a feeling Seattle is going to get off to a slow start, trying to find thier way.

We had a very slow start in a LOT of games last year, I hope that theme doesn't continue.

That is the most worrisome aspect of our game to me. We saw it quite a few times in the regular season last year, and both times in the playoffs. In fact, even counting the defensive collapse, it's probably the main reason we lost in Atlanta. If we'd have held on and not let things get out of hand early, when we finally got our heads in the game and started playing like we were capable of, we could have pulled away instead of struggling to catch up.

That aspect of our game is probably the single greatest threat to our winning a Super Bowl any time soon, because all it takes is one game to let things get away from us and not be able to recover.

Cartire

Reaction score
Man, havent played the first game, and the self-justification has already begun. Never change .net

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
CornerHawk":3vo89xhp said:
Seahawk Sailor":3vo89xhp said:

Feels more like Miami to me. I hope Seattle doesn't get too conservative thinking they can win that way.

God...there was enough run, run, pass, punt in Miami to make me vomit. That was the worst game of the year for me, easily. If that happens on our first 2 or 3 possessions in Carolina I will be beside myself.

nsport

Reaction score
My humble opinion: I think this game is a keeper if we can do one thing:

1) Score more than they do.

Just kidding - I think actually two things will make it more probable that we win - and I actually have a lot of confidence we will do this:
1) Limit the big plays of Carolina - I sincerely doubt they will put together too many sustained drives. This means third and long conversions have to be kept to a minimum - as I believe that we match up well from a personnel point of view. Of course there is the Cam Newton factor - the guy is freaky fast and can throw a monster deep ball.
2) Pound the rock to the point that play-action is indefensible - This means 2nd level blocks on the LB corps of Carolina - limit what Kuechly can do to you, then the passing game will be burdensome for them. I would be very surprised if we didn't have at least a 60/40 split run/pass.

Axx

Reaction score
Lol Seattle -3????
Too easy of a bet.

McGruff

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":2ov9jy98 said:
We shouldn't be. Carolina is a much better team now than the one we faced last season. We have key players that will/might not play. The oddsmakers are dumb here. JMO.

They oddsmakers are dumb because we'll beat Carolina by double digits.

myrmidon

Reaction score
Panther fan here. This should be a very good game. Im interested to see how our offense will look against a good defense, its a good test for week 1. Our secondary is somewhat suspect but our front 7 is no joke, if you guys can protect Wilson it will be a vey easy day for him because there will be receivers WIDE open. On the other hand if we get pressure on him it bodes well for us.

I don't mean to sound biased but the x factor in this game is Cam Newton if he's on he's damn near unstoppable, running, throwing it doesn't matter if he's on his game. The key for you guys will be to stop our running game. If Cam can get any help from our backs (he lead the team in rushing last year) lookout.

I predict an ugly game much like last year with not a lot of points scored. 20-17 Panthers.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2qog1r4u said:
hawk79":2qog1r4u said:

We had a very slow start in a LOT of games last year,

No. We absolutely did not. I debunked that myth a week or two ago. On 8/9/2013, actually. And kearly acknowledged it. Nuff said.