The Chris Harper dilemma

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I think Harper is waived and will clear waivers as he's not shown much in preseason play. I'm not so sure he's actually being considered as the 7th best WR on the roster. He's got great size and great potential but is a lot like Durham and hasn't shown enough. Whatever the team does with him is fine with me as Harper would for sure be axed if there was another roster need and when Harvin returns anyway.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I think Harper has been quiet in preseason by design. I think they are not giving him many reps so that there won't be stats or film for other organizations to scout. Schneider and Co. have been quite mum when it comes to discussing our receivers with the media.

chris98251

Reaction score
If your gonna try to stash a guy I would not try to sneak him thru waivers if you like him, too many WR's down right now all over and teams will take a flyer on a body like his just to see if he can be a threat to take coverage off your established guys.

I'm sure if he is as raw as advertised he gets turf toe or a hyperextension of his lymph node or something that will IR him while he learns about the NFL.

If they truly need a guy they just bring back Swain for a game or 3 and he bounces back and forth like Butler did a few years ago.

pcbball12

Reaction score
DavidSeven":qaw4x1fm said:
pcbball12":qaw4x1fm said:
I do not see how their minds would suddenly change on that now.

The sudden and unexpected emergence of Kearse and Williams as NFL-ready talents is what I think would change their minds. This is information they didn't have back in April. If the choice was among Harper's potential, Obamanu, or Charly Martin, then there wouldn't be much of a dilemma. It's just bad timing for Harper. We have an embarrassment of riches at WR, and we just don't have the space to stash someone for the sake of development.

I'm not saying he's a sure-fire cut, but I think the top-5 is basically set in stone. With Harvin due back at some point in the season, it's going to be hard to justify keeping Harper, especially with tough decisions to be made at RB/FB/OL.
Going back to when we first claimed Williams off of waivers, JS has made it clear how high he was on him. He went as far as saying he was his 2nd rated YAC receiver in the entire 2010 draft. The team has been high on Kearse since last year, even though probably not expecting quite the emergence that he has had this preseason. I am assuming JS knew that both of them would look better and quite frankly be better than Harper is this year, considering how raw Harper looked from college tape. Harper could very well be cut like most think he will, I just don't think it is that easy.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
You don't make a long-term investment in the stock market and then sell it after a few months because it hasn't made you a million bucks yet.

Getting rid of Harper this quick would be a bad move for the organization and believe there would be teams chomping at the bit to have him on their 53.

He's a rookie and many of you are acting as if he's a 5 year vet who is a not living up to their potential.

Cartire

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":1o4celje said:
You don't make a long-term investment in the stock market and then sell it after a few months because it hasn't made you a million bucks yet.

Getting rid of Harper this quick would be a bad move for the organization and believe there would be teams chomping at the bit to have him on their 53.

He's a rookie and many of you are acting as if he's a 5 year vet who is a not living up to their potential.

No, were acting like the depth is just good, and you cant keep every WR.

And with the new CBA, playing the draft stock market is a different game. You can bail easily on a 4th rounder and never look back.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
Cartire":1dackzx4 said:
fridayfrenzy":1dackzx4 said:

No, were acting like the depth is just good, and you cant keep every WR.

And with the new CBA, playing the draft stock market is a different game. You can bail easily on a 4th rounder and never look back.

How does the new CBA make it easier to bail on a 4th rounder?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Best guys win the jobs, compete or die. It's the rule here.

The team will of course keep him around if they can but he needs to show he's better than others or has the realistic potential of being so soon.

Whatever the team decides will have carefully considered.

McGruff

Reaction score
Mark Legree and EJ Wilson know this team shows no loyalty to draft picks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Even with a good showing tonight, Harper's best case scenario is practice squad.

That's my guess, practice squad. For no other reason than he has potential and Pete and John don't want to take the 300k signing bonus hit for cutting him.

hawksman53

Reaction score
TCS":3b9yeag7 said:
I agree with Bob. They have to force feed Harper to see what he's "got", but even then it's just pre season. I wonder if JS has "buyer's remorse" when it comes to the Harper pick? I for one didn't think Kearse would take the strides he's taken from last year to now, and Williams has been outstanding stretching the field. There is such a small sample size with Harper that he simply might fall by the wayside because of the log jam at receiver. Good problem to have I guess...

Go Hawks!

tcs
I don't think Carrol/Schneider thought Kearse would make the strides he has. Hence the Harper pick.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Well the dilemma is over....Harper dropped too many passes tonight. Ones that were right in his hands.

UGotHawked

Reaction score
hawkfan68":xsc2589i said:
Well the dilemma is over....Harper dropped too many passes tonight. Ones that were right in his hands.

That about sums it up.

AgentDib

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":10r5jgvb said:
How does the new CBA make it easier to bail on a 4th rounder?
http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Name= ... m=Seahawks

The second column there (pro-rated bonus) is the guaranteed money that he will receive - $412k. Not bad at all for a 23 year old guy, but a small percentage of his contract and not a figure that would affect our decision on whether we makes the 53 man roster.

w00t

Reaction score
he needs to go to the practice squad

olyfan63

Reaction score
Those two big drops were painful. He hasn't shown enough.
It's important (but hard sometimes) not to fall in love with "the idea" of what Harper "could be", and to see what he "is", which is an underskilled receiver who drops key passes at the worst possible moment.
A lot of us (me included) were in "like" (it wasn't quite love) last year with Kris Durham, and the idea of what he "could be".
After seeing Durham play for the Lions, failing to make plays on balls targeted to him, I was SO glad we let him walk. The receivers we kept were so much better.
Stephan Williams > Durham. Williams IS what we wished Durham could someday become.
Kearse already IS much of what we hope Harper *could* become. I'd feel confident seeing Kearse out on the field as a starter if one of our current starters were unable to go. (I'm still a little hesitant on how Williams' game will translate when the games start counting)

Release Harper, and put him on PS if he clears waivers. End of story. Now we'll see what Pete and John do.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
When a 4th round player drops a pass in the NFL that I am 98.7% certain I will catch...

Yeah. Time to cut him. Or at least practice squad his ass if you think it is just a case of being the worst time to have an off day.