The Chris Harper dilemma

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:20 am
  • One of the interesting decisions for the roster is going to be Harper. Depth chart wise, he is #6 in the pecking order right now (behind Rice, Tate, Baldwin, Kearse and Williams) ... and that's only because Harvin isn't active. If Harvin is active and on the opening roster, Harper doesn't make this team.

    The dilemma: Do we keep Harper on the roster where he will be buried, or do we risk him to waivers and hope he makes it to the P.S.?

    Bob Condotta was on KJR a little while ago and expects the Hawks to "force feed" Harper tomorrow to see if he can show something.

    Thoughts?
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    GIVE US YOUR PINK SLIP, SANTA CLARA WHINERS. WE OWN YOU
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7565
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:22 am
  • I'd say 75% chance he's gone. Just no room for him when there's 2 other RB/FB that have shown a ton of talent on offense and special teams.

    He'll probably get picked up off waivers, so that means no practice squad.
    Colin Kaepernick wrote:I think our efficiency in the huddle was more of a factor than the crowd.
    User avatar
    C-Dub
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1129
    Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:06 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:25 am
  • I know it's not a popular opinion, but Harper has a shot to win a job over Williams if he shows he's better on special teams. Because that's where they will mostly be playing this year.

    I'm not saying I think it will happen ( I think Williams has earned his spot), just that I think a lot of people have already anointed Williams a roster spot prematurely. Harper could prove to be more valuable as a blocker and special teamer.
    Image
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    User avatar
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12208
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
    Location: Antioch, CA


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:26 am
  • I agree with Bob. They have to force feed Harper to see what he's "got", but even then it's just pre season. I wonder if JS has "buyer's remorse" when it comes to the Harper pick? I for one didn't think Kearse would take the strides he's taken from last year to now, and Williams has been outstanding stretching the field. There is such a small sample size with Harper that he simply might fall by the wayside because of the log jam at receiver. Good problem to have I guess...

    Go Hawks!

    tcs
    Bleeding Silver and Blue since 1982...
    User avatar
    TCS
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 108
    Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:17 pm
    Location: Redmond, WA


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:30 am
  • TCS wrote:I agree with Bob. They have to force feed Harper to see what he's "got", but even then it's just pre season. I wonder if JS has "buyer's remorse" when it comes to the Harper pick? I for one didn't think Kearse would take the strides he's taken from last year to now, and Williams has been outstanding stretching the field. There is such a small sample size with Harper that he simply might fall by the wayside because of the log jam at receiver. Good problem to have I guess...

    Go Hawks!

    tcs


    If anything, I think they would look at the pick as worth it for the competition alone. If getting Harper int he mix pushed Kearse and Williams to work harder to make the team and tap into their potential, then I would think the Harper pick was worth it.

    They love bringing in guys to push the players on the roster.
    Image
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    User avatar
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12208
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
    Location: Antioch, CA


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:32 am
  • TCS wrote:I agree with Bob. They have to force feed Harper to see what he's "got", but even then it's just pre season. I wonder if JS has "buyer's remorse" when it comes to the Harper pick? I for one didn't think Kearse would take the strides he's taken from last year to now, and Williams has been outstanding stretching the field. There is such a small sample size with Harper that he simply might fall by the wayside because of the log jam at receiver. Good problem to have I guess...

    Go Hawks!

    tcs


    I doubt it (buyers remorse) - this draft will always probably look weak when held up against some of JS and PC's previous drafts because the roster is so stacked and deep, it was going to be hard to draft players who were going to crack it.

    As it looks right now, it's uneven at the very best with the ceiling being "pretty good" (Michael, Hill and Willson).

    I understand the Harper pick - they have always wanted that big, physical possession guy.
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    GIVE US YOUR PINK SLIP, SANTA CLARA WHINERS. WE OWN YOU
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7565
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:35 am
  • FlyingGreg wrote:
    TCS wrote:I agree with Bob. They have to force feed Harper to see what he's "got", but even then it's just pre season. I wonder if JS has "buyer's remorse" when it comes to the Harper pick? I for one didn't think Kearse would take the strides he's taken from last year to now, and Williams has been outstanding stretching the field. There is such a small sample size with Harper that he simply might fall by the wayside because of the log jam at receiver. Good problem to have I guess...

    Go Hawks!

    tcs


    I doubt it (buyers remorse) - this draft will always probably look weak when held up against some of JS and PC's previous drafts because the roster is so stacked and deep, it was going to be hard to draft players who were going to crack it.

    As it looks right now, it's uneven at the very best with the ceiling being "pretty good" (Michael, Hill and Willson).



    Truth. I don't even know whether or not to root for Harper making the squad as we've seen so little of him. Hopefully he'll get extended playing time tomorrow...

    Go Hawks!

    tcs
    Bleeding Silver and Blue since 1982...
    User avatar
    TCS
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 108
    Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:17 pm
    Location: Redmond, WA


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:40 am
  • If we go by the 3 season rule, then it's too early to give up on him. Just like Tate. However, if he's a non-entity in practice, then there's not much you can really do this point but hope he clears waivers.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15784
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:40 am
  • I've been surprised they haven't fed Harper the ball more this preseason. I was pretty high on him when we drafted him, and felt he had a decent shot at making the team. Of course, this is before Williams and Kearse really started to shine. It is a huge dilemma, but a good one. It's not a bad draft if they draft guys who can't crack the 53 because of the talent already there. If they'd drafted players that made the team only because everyone else was so bad, it'd be arguably a worse draft.

    I hope he can make the PS this year, because I certainly don't see him beating out the other receivers, and I think he still has the potential to be quite good. It'd be a shame to lose him to another team, only to watch him shoot to stardom with them.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 19011
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:42 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:If we go by the 3 season rule, then it's too early to give up on him. Just like Tate. However, if he's a non-entity in practice, then there's not much you can really do this point but hope he clears waivers.


    Herein lies the dilemma. Do we keep him on the roster as the #6 WR - at the expense of another position we could use a body -or risk him to waivers and hope?

    And then what happens when Harvin gets activated?

    No wonder John Schneider sounded so tired on the radio today...this stuff has to weigh on him and Pete.
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    GIVE US YOUR PINK SLIP, SANTA CLARA WHINERS. WE OWN YOU
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7565
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:42 am
  • So, if they 'force feed' him the ball, doesn't that mean he has a chance to showcase his abilities in a way that makes him less likely to survive waivers?

    :stirthepot:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 10488
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Monroe, WA


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:47 am
  • Pete and Wilson have both stated that Harper has done very well during practice. Part of the problem during the Preseason is that he hasn't been getting the ball, or put in the game much. When the ball has been thrown to him he has caught it. Hopefully they showcase him and he can beat out Williams.
    Zebulon Dak wrote:If any Twitter employees get assassinated I'll vote Republican from here on out.
    User avatar
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2891
    Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:48 pm
    Location: Oklahoma City


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:48 am
  • sutz wrote:So, if they 'force feed' him the ball, doesn't that mean he has a chance to showcase his abilities in a way that makes him less likely to survive waivers?

    :stirthepot:


    No, cause we are playing the Raiders. Nobody will be watching. :th2thumbs:
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    GIVE US YOUR PINK SLIP, SANTA CLARA WHINERS. WE OWN YOU
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7565
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:48 am
  • Force feed him in game four. Give him enough work to get a couple deep bruises, which would allow us to stash him on IR. :mrgreen:
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

    He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    User avatar
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 5748
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:29 am
    Location: Back in Seattle


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:49 am
  • sutz wrote:So, if they 'force feed' him the ball, doesn't that mean he has a chance to showcase his abilities in a way that makes him less likely to survive waivers?

    :stirthepot:


    Lol! Didn't think about that. However, do we even want him taking up a PS spot (As we have other needs)? I can't remember hearing anything glaringly positive about Harper throughout TC and pre season, though I very well could have missed it.

    Go Hawks!

    tcs
    Bleeding Silver and Blue since 1982...
    User avatar
    TCS
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 108
    Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:17 pm
    Location: Redmond, WA


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:53 am
  • OkieHawk wrote:Pete and Wilson have both stated that Harper has done very well during practice. Part of the problem during the Preseason is that he hasn't been getting the ball, or put in the game much. When the ball has been thrown to him he has caught it. Hopefully they showcase him and he can beat out Williams.


    Harper is another receiver in the same vein as Baldwin, Tate, Harvin (Size wise). The only truly big (Tall) receiver we have is Rice. I would rather keep Williams than Harper, if for nothing more that a "change up". Plus Williams has more experience in the NFL. I suppose we could get into upside between the two, but I'm thinking about this season...

    Go Hawks!

    tcs
    Bleeding Silver and Blue since 1982...
    User avatar
    TCS
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 108
    Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:17 pm
    Location: Redmond, WA


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:57 am
  • Why the hell would anyone claim him? He hasnt shown potential or ability. He is not 53 caliber. If someone is SO weak at WR that they can carry him and leave him inactive on gamedays, OK.

    He is PS material for sure, imo. 53 spot is way too valuable.
    User avatar
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2957
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:26 am


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:58 am
  • I think you have to try getting him on the PS. If someone else grabs him, just the way it goes. Right now it seems he hasn't been able to win in the competition. That $440K signing bonus probably hurts but now is not the time to start varying from your stated mantra.
    Image
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    User avatar
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *
     
    Posts: 9448
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
    Location: Covington, Washington


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:01 am
  • Coug_Hawk08 wrote:Why the hell would anyone claim him? He hasnt shown potential or ability. He is not 53 caliber. If someone is SO weak at WR that they can carry him and leave him inactive on gamedays, OK.

    He is PS material for sure, imo. 53 spot is way too valuable.


    Exactly. We always forget that all 31 other teams have their own Christ Harpers they are trying to stash. It's not like they aren't making tough cuts too.
    Image
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    User avatar
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12208
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
    Location: Antioch, CA


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:06 am
  • Harper's only on the fringe because Kearse and Williams have flashed a ton in camp and in pre-season. I think the sudden depth we have at WR is unexpected. People around here were ready to dump Kearse and considered Williams a long-shot before camp started. Just bad luck and timing for Harper. If it's me, I'm rolling the dice that he'll clear waivers and hit PS, especially since he's likely competing for a spot with our backs and O-linemen.
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4178
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:08 am
  • SmokinHawk wrote:Force feed him in game four. Give him enough work to get a couple deep bruises, which would allow us to stash him on IR. :mrgreen:


    That might be my strategy if I was PC and JS. He has very little chance of making the 53 man roster, so figure out a way to get him onto the IR for this season.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1440
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:52 pm


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:08 am
  • FlyingGreg wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:If we go by the 3 season rule, then it's too early to give up on him. Just like Tate. However, if he's a non-entity in practice, then there's not much you can really do this point but hope he clears waivers.


    Herein lies the dilemma. Do we keep him on the roster as the #6 WR - at the expense of another position we could use a body -or risk him to waivers and hope?

    And then what happens when Harvin gets activated?

    No wonder John Schneider sounded so tired on the radio today...this stuff has to weigh on him and Pete.


    When the time comes to clear a spot for Harvin, we'll have at least 6 weeks of real game film with the 1's to help with the decision.
    Maybe all the WR play lights out (One of those "good problems"), or one is clearly way behind and it makes the decision clear.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    User avatar
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3487
    Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:57 am


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:10 am
  • Basis4day wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:If we go by the 3 season rule, then it's too early to give up on him. Just like Tate. However, if he's a non-entity in practice, then there's not much you can really do this point but hope he clears waivers.


    Herein lies the dilemma. Do we keep him on the roster as the #6 WR - at the expense of another position we could use a body -or risk him to waivers and hope?

    And then what happens when Harvin gets activated?

    No wonder John Schneider sounded so tired on the radio today...this stuff has to weigh on him and Pete.


    When the time comes to clear a spot for Harvin, we'll have at least 6 weeks of real game film with the 1's to help with the decision.
    Maybe all the WR play lights out (One of those "good problems"), or one is clearly way behind and it makes the decision clear.


    Yes, but I doubt there will be much "film" on Harper as the #6 WR. I'd be surprised if he is even activated on game days.

    The dilemma is do we eat a roster spot because we want to keep him or throw caution to the wind and hope he clears waivers.
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    GIVE US YOUR PINK SLIP, SANTA CLARA WHINERS. WE OWN YOU
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7565
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:12 am
  • It's a pretty safe bet we'll try to keep at least one WR on the PS.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 10488
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Monroe, WA


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:18 am
  • Yes, but I doubt there will be much "film" on Harper as the #6 WR. I'd be surprised if he is even activated on game days.

    The dilemma is do we eat a roster spot because we want to keep him or throw caution to the wind and hope he clears waivers.


    I was more speaking of the WR core as a whole. Whomever goes into the regular season as the lowest WR of the chart isn't guaranteed to stay there. When we need to make room for Harvin the FO will know who the real contributors are.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    User avatar
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3487
    Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:57 am


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:25 am
  • Dilemma?

    Theres no dilemma. If he makes it to the PS, great. If he doesnt, who cares. Not every 4th rounds WR is gonna make it. And he has shown no reason why he should.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    User avatar
    Cartire
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3616
    Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 am


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:26 am
  • Greg do we care? Are we caring? Would we fret if it was Harper catching the deep balls and Williams not showing much?

    I think we would say great draft pick and shucks the FA pick up did not work out. We can say the same thing but reverse it.


    Problem: Need a wr that is big and physical that can take the ball away from a defender and make a deep catch.

    Solution: Pick up Williams FA and draft Harper.

    Results: Williams has shown to be able to be physical and take balls away from the defender and catch the deep pass. Harper has not shown fans if he can catch the deep pass or be physical in the NFL.

    Problem Solved
    Last edited by Fudwamper on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "If we lose ... this place will be a Carnival of Stupidity." FlyingGreg
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 832
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:06 am


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:00 pm
  • Harper has not earned a roster spot with his play.

    I am fine with going 5 WRs until we get Harvin back as the 6th. A lot of teams go 5 even without a 6th coming back, and if there are injuries where we need to fill in our roster, there will always be guys out there on the PS, whether it's ours or someone else's. Clark seems like a good bet to slip through waivers, and he's looked better than Harper.

    Maybe another team claims Harper, but I haven't really seen much yet that would make me care even if they did. If we can keep Harper via the PS then great; he's a classic PS type player.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11551
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:13 pm
  • HawkFan72 wrote:If anything, I think they would look at the pick as worth it for the competition alone. If getting Harper int he mix pushed Kearse and Williams to work harder to make the team and tap into their potential, then I would think the Harper pick was worth it.

    I agree with your take completely; they said throughout the draft process that it was going to be tough for rookies to make the team. As a result, they brought in a bunch of guys with high upside but question marks in other areas to provide competition for the existing players. Some of those will stick and some won't but it isn't the end of the world if our late round draft picks get cut and end up on practice squad or another team.

    For those worried about 2014, remember that we will have free agency plus another full draft before then. Even if Harper survives the season on practice squad he will still be competing for a spot on the 90 man roster next offseason with all of the new WR we bring in to compete every season.
    "Check out my 2012 NFL Draft Grades. I just gave the worst grade ever to Seattle." - WalterFootball.com
    User avatar
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2386
    Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:08 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:14 pm
  • Every year we think we have it made at WR and almost every season players get injured/nicked up and we never seem to have enough quality depth.

    If a spot is between Harper and Williams, then let em have at it vs. Oakland and the best player wins.

    If not PS squad or another team grabs him....that's pretty much it.
    Hey Cardinals..........The FUN is OVER !!!
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 25567
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm
    Location: Mmmmm...Roasted Cardinal


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:22 pm
  • WRs take time to develop, and Harper was raw coming out. That was no secret to the Seahawks when they drafted him. I know everyone wants everything right now, but I'm betting Harper is stashed on the 53 somehow, at least until Harvin comes back.
    Tall men come down to my height when I hit 'em in the body.

    Jack Dempsey
    User avatar
    Fuzzman55
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1579
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 3:10 pm


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:30 pm
  • Fuzzman55 wrote:WRs take time to develop, and Harper was raw coming out. That was no secret to the Seahawks when they drafted him. I know everyone wants everything right now, but I'm betting Harper is stashed on the 53 somehow, at least until Harvin comes back.


    Hey its possible. But lets be honest here. The way NFL players are being coached up through High School and College, we do expect more right away now. This isnt the same league as 10 years ago. These players are way faster, way stronger, and way smarter when it comes to football. We should have all expected that reality. There will always be projects, but too much talent is available at a higher frequency. If you cant cut the cake right away, someone else will.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    User avatar
    Cartire
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3616
    Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 am


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:42 pm
  • Cartire wrote:
    Fuzzman55 wrote:WRs take time to develop, and Harper was raw coming out. That was no secret to the Seahawks when they drafted him. I know everyone wants everything right now, but I'm betting Harper is stashed on the 53 somehow, at least until Harvin comes back.


    Hey its possible. But lets be honest here. The way NFL players are being coached up through High School and College, we do expect more right away now. This isnt the same league as 10 years ago. These players are way faster, way stronger, and way smarter when it comes to football. We should have all expected that reality. There will always be projects, but too much talent is available at a higher frequency. If you cant cut the cake right away, someone else will.


    I definitely get that line of thinking, but look at Golden Tate. Can you imagine moving on from him in his first or second year because he wasn't putting it together on gameday? Now, to be fair to Tate, all you ever heard from practice was that he was ripping it up and making spectacular catches. We haven't heard Harper praised at that level. But if the Hawks made the Harper pick knowing his development might take some time I'm not sure they're going to change course now.

    Also, Williams seems to be a roster lock to a lot of people, and he probably is, but how many years has he been in the league? Talk about a slow development. Harper could possibly be the better player when his ceiling is reached. How much better can William be? This is obviously the stuff coaches get to see in practice that we have no idea about.
    Tall men come down to my height when I hit 'em in the body.

    Jack Dempsey
    User avatar
    Fuzzman55
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1579
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 3:10 pm


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:52 pm
  • What would really be interesting would be if they had drafted Quinton Patton. We'd really be wringing our hands over what would happen with the cuts and when Harvin returns
    User avatar
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2579
    Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 am


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:12 pm
  • DavidSeven wrote:Harper's only on the fringe because Kearse and Williams have flashed a ton in camp and in pre-season. I think the sudden depth we have at WR is unexpected. People around here were ready to dump Kearse and considered Williams a long-shot before camp started. Just bad luck and timing for Harper. If it's me, I'm rolling the dice that he'll clear waivers and hit PS, especially since he's likely competing for a spot with our backs and O-linemen.


    This is true. We went from WR as a perceived problem spot to WR as a perceived strength in very little time. And it is a dilemma. Harper has a lot of potential to be a big time player. That he hasn't developed as quickly as some would like puts us at risk of losing what we felt was a future asset at receiver. Our bump receiver is no longer a guy like Bumpus who couldn't make it anywhere else either, and it isn't a guy like Obomanu who reached his ceiling as a backup receiver and special teamer. Harper's shown the potential of being another quality receiver, but happens to be too green and undeveloped to make an impact on the 53 right now. Therein lies the dilemma.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 19011
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:25 pm
  • Wrong place, wrong time.
    ---
    Image
    User avatar
    Cirmman
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 133
    Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:44 am
    Location: Brasília - Brazil


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:31 pm
  • I am in the camp that thinks he makes the 53 but will probably not be active on game day. Harper was raw even in college. His tape screamed project but he had some unique characteristics that when developed could allow him to become a very good player. It is not as if JS and PC thought they were getting a polished player when they drafted him, there is no way they could have from watching his college tape. They were willing to take him in the 4th round (ahead of guys that were much more NFL ready right now like Patton)because they were willing to let him develop. I do not see how their minds would suddenly change on that now.
    pcbball12
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 390
    Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:14 am


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:36 pm
  • could be his potential as a receiver is better or worse then say another position with someone on the fringe.. at what point do you decide to keep the better potential over a position? you could make a statement that there are weaker position groups that we will cut simply based on top end potential?

    for example.. consider this..
    we carry 10 db's usually. and 9 are awesome and one has the potential to be an average DB some day.
    And we have harper who lets say sucks now but has the potential to be the best receiver of all time.
    when cutting to you Single it to the position group or do you look at the entire teams position groups, I mean we are talking about depth. and future depth at this point right?

    Sorry if that rambled a bit.
    --/*Seattle Seahawks*\--
    User avatar
    hawks4thewin
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 716
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:11 pm
  • pcbball12 wrote: I do not see how their minds would suddenly change on that now.


    The sudden and unexpected emergence of Kearse and Williams as NFL-ready talents is what I think would change their minds. This is information they didn't have back in April. If the choice was among Harper's potential, Obamanu, or Charly Martin, then there wouldn't be much of a dilemma. It's just bad timing for Harper. We have an embarrassment of riches at WR, and we just don't have the space to stash someone for the sake of development.

    I'm not saying he's a sure-fire cut, but I think the top-5 is basically set in stone. With Harvin due back at some point in the season, it's going to be hard to justify keeping Harper, especially with tough decisions to be made at RB/FB/OL.
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4178
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:18 pm
  • This is what you do

    PC - Hey Harper come over here
    Harper - what up coach
    PC - OK I want you to play lights out then in the 2nd half I want you to run a route and just fall down and grab your leg
    Harper - ok coach whatever you say

    After the game Seahawks announce that Harper is on the IR and will be back next season
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3848
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:27 pm
  • I think Harper is waived and will clear waivers as he's not shown much in preseason play. I'm not so sure he's actually being considered as the 7th best WR on the roster. He's got great size and great potential but is a lot like Durham and hasn't shown enough. Whatever the team does with him is fine with me as Harper would for sure be axed if there was another roster need and when Harvin returns anyway.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken. The OLine still needs work.

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1997
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:39 pm
  • I think Harper has been quiet in preseason by design. I think they are not giving him many reps so that there won't be stats or film for other organizations to scout. Schneider and Co. have been quite mum when it comes to discussing our receivers with the media.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

    He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    User avatar
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 5748
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:29 am
    Location: Back in Seattle


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:49 pm
  • If your gonna try to stash a guy I would not try to sneak him thru waivers if you like him, too many WR's down right now all over and teams will take a flyer on a body like his just to see if he can be a threat to take coverage off your established guys.

    I'm sure if he is as raw as advertised he gets turf toe or a hyperextension of his lymph node or something that will IR him while he learns about the NFL.

    If they truly need a guy they just bring back Swain for a game or 3 and he bounces back and forth like Butler did a few years ago.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 11661
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:42 pm
  • DavidSeven wrote:
    pcbball12 wrote: I do not see how their minds would suddenly change on that now.


    The sudden and unexpected emergence of Kearse and Williams as NFL-ready talents is what I think would change their minds. This is information they didn't have back in April. If the choice was among Harper's potential, Obamanu, or Charly Martin, then there wouldn't be much of a dilemma. It's just bad timing for Harper. We have an embarrassment of riches at WR, and we just don't have the space to stash someone for the sake of development.

    I'm not saying he's a sure-fire cut, but I think the top-5 is basically set in stone. With Harvin due back at some point in the season, it's going to be hard to justify keeping Harper, especially with tough decisions to be made at RB/FB/OL.

    Going back to when we first claimed Williams off of waivers, JS has made it clear how high he was on him. He went as far as saying he was his 2nd rated YAC receiver in the entire 2010 draft. The team has been high on Kearse since last year, even though probably not expecting quite the emergence that he has had this preseason. I am assuming JS knew that both of them would look better and quite frankly be better than Harper is this year, considering how raw Harper looked from college tape. Harper could very well be cut like most think he will, I just don't think it is that easy.
    pcbball12
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 390
    Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:14 am


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:59 pm
  • Harper sucks
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    User avatar
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *
     
    Posts: 3148
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:37 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:59 pm
  • You don't make a long-term investment in the stock market and then sell it after a few months because it hasn't made you a million bucks yet.

    Getting rid of Harper this quick would be a bad move for the organization and believe there would be teams chomping at the bit to have him on their 53.

    He's a rookie and many of you are acting as if he's a 5 year vet who is a not living up to their potential.
    fridayfrenzy
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 207
    Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:33 pm


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:02 am
  • Hawk Strap wrote:Harper sucks


    You take that back.
    Zebulon Dak wrote:If any Twitter employees get assassinated I'll vote Republican from here on out.
    User avatar
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2891
    Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:48 pm
    Location: Oklahoma City


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:24 am
  • fridayfrenzy wrote:You don't make a long-term investment in the stock market and then sell it after a few months because it hasn't made you a million bucks yet.

    Getting rid of Harper this quick would be a bad move for the organization and believe there would be teams chomping at the bit to have him on their 53.

    He's a rookie and many of you are acting as if he's a 5 year vet who is a not living up to their potential.


    No, were acting like the depth is just good, and you cant keep every WR.

    And with the new CBA, playing the draft stock market is a different game. You can bail easily on a 4th rounder and never look back.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    User avatar
    Cartire
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3616
    Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 am


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:39 am
  • Cartire wrote:
    fridayfrenzy wrote:You don't make a long-term investment in the stock market and then sell it after a few months because it hasn't made you a million bucks yet.

    Getting rid of Harper this quick would be a bad move for the organization and believe there would be teams chomping at the bit to have him on their 53.

    He's a rookie and many of you are acting as if he's a 5 year vet who is a not living up to their potential.


    No, were acting like the depth is just good, and you cant keep every WR.

    And with the new CBA, playing the draft stock market is a different game. You can bail easily on a 4th rounder and never look back.


    How does the new CBA make it easier to bail on a 4th rounder?
    fridayfrenzy
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 207
    Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:33 pm


Re: The Chris Harper dilemma
Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:03 am
  • Best guys win the jobs, compete or die. It's the rule here.

    The team will of course keep him around if they can but he needs to show he's better than others or has the realistic potential of being so soon.

    Whatever the team decides will have carefully considered.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken. The OLine still needs work.

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1997
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm


Next


It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:11 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information