Google in talks with NFL to put Sunday Ticket on YouTube

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
What?!?!

Oh man, that would be a godsend. Especially if they could get the rights to keep the games on Youtube for at least a week afterwards.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
RolandDeschain":30y2l7ou said:
Smelly McUgly":30y2l7ou said:
Good, but Google needs to negotiate with Roku to put the YouTube channel back up if this happens.
That's up to Roku.

I don't know the deal there fully, but from what I have read, Google are the ones being douchey about the negotiations to put it back up.

I would rather not have to buy another streaming device that has YouTube just for NFL Sunday Ticket, but honestly, just getting it exclusively off DirecTV is probably amazing enough as it is.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Nobody knows for sure what's happening, but look at all the companies that have had zero problems creating and maintaining YouTube apps and channels for a billion devices and services. (Every Blu-ray player manufacturer, TV manufacturer, etc.) I find it unlikely that Google's truly the problem in this regard; but honestly, that is just guesswork on my part.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it. The NFL is expert at leveraging for exclusive contracts, even if it hurts the fans (DirecTV, Verizon mobile deal, the crap that is EA Sports). Likely this is a ploy to get DirecTV to cough up even more dough.

UNLESS...the NFL sees YouTube as the best way to grow this game internationally. That might be a legit reason to hope that the NFL goes with Google--here's hoping!

taz291819

Reaction score
It's probably a mixture of that. The NFL wants it to grow, as does Directv. But I'm confident Directv doesn't have the servers to handle that kind of load, and that's where Google comes in. Win-win for everyone, the NFL, Directv, Google, and consumers.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more this would make sense for the NFL. YouTube's the only infrastructure out there that you could depend on to scale your needs if you're going to make a big international push like the NFL undoubtedly wants to do. Netflix is up there too, but they're way smaller on an international scale than YouTube.

mikeak

Reaction score
Here is how this makes sense for the NFL

Directv offers $4.5 billion for the rights to ST
Google / youtube offers $5 billion

Now it makes sense to the NFL

Latest posts