Google in talks with NFL to put Sunday Ticket on YouTube

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13

• That would be awesome. :th2thumbs:
    As a musician and audio quality champion, Neil Young said in 2012, “Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. But when he went home, he listened to vinyl.”
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• What?!?!

Oh man, that would be a godsend. Especially if they could get the rights to keep the games on Youtube for at least a week afterwards.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Good, but Google needs to negotiate with Roku to put the YouTube channel back up if this happens.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• Smelly McUgly wrote:Good, but Google needs to negotiate with Roku to put the YouTube channel back up if this happens.

That's up to Roku.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:Good, but Google needs to negotiate with Roku to put the YouTube channel back up if this happens.

That's up to Roku.

I don't know the deal there fully, but from what I have read, Google are the ones being douchey about the negotiations to put it back up.

I would rather not have to buy another streaming device that has YouTube just for NFL Sunday Ticket, but honestly, just getting it exclusively off DirecTV is probably amazing enough as it is.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• Nobody knows for sure what's happening, but look at all the companies that have had zero problems creating and maintaining YouTube apps and channels for a billion devices and services. (Every Blu-ray player manufacturer, TV manufacturer, etc.) I find it unlikely that Google's truly the problem in this regard; but honestly, that is just guesswork on my part.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• I'll believe it when I see it. The NFL is expert at leveraging for exclusive contracts, even if it hurts the fans (DirecTV, Verizon mobile deal, the crap that is EA Sports). Likely this is a ploy to get DirecTV to cough up even more dough.

UNLESS...the NFL sees YouTube as the best way to grow this game internationally. That might be a legit reason to hope that the NFL goes with Google--here's hoping!
    ...and with one kiss of his bicep he proved, without a shadow of doubt, that he was every bit as much of a DBag as his coach, and most of his team's fanbase. Finally, he could call himself a Niner!
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• It's probably a mixture of that. The NFL wants it to grow, as does Directv. But I'm confident Directv doesn't have the servers to handle that kind of load, and that's where Google comes in. Win-win for everyone, the NFL, Directv, Google, and consumers.
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• This would be great!
    MANUNITED23
    NET Veteran

• The more I think about it, the more this would make sense for the NFL. YouTube's the only infrastructure out there that you could depend on to scale your needs if you're going to make a big international push like the NFL undoubtedly wants to do. Netflix is up there too, but they're way smaller on an international scale than YouTube.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Here is how this makes sense for the NFL

Directv offers $4.5 billion for the rights to ST
    Google / youtube offers $5 billion

Now it makes sense to the NFL
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:39 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member