Our cat skipped out of town...

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Our cat skipped out of town...
Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:26 pm
  • At some point last night, our beloved indoor cat Stanley got outside without being detected. We didn't even notice until this morning at 11am when the wife was like, "Where's Stanley?" We assumed he was snuggled up somewhere sleeping. We knew something wasn't right when nobody had seen him since 14 hours before.

So my father's day was filled with making flyers and scowering the neighborhood with his bag of treats, calling out for him.

Nothing.

My 8-year-old daughter is broken up and we're all really sad. Even our 11-year-old boxer Bella has been mopping around all day. It's been raining with thunder...AND to make matters worse his front paws were declawed. He has no way to defend himself. (Please spare me your feelings about declawing...Now is not a good time).

Anybody had a cat go missing and return? Any info and happy thoughts are welcome.

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Re: Our cat skipped out of town...
Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:38 pm
  • Yes, about a year ago we had our older cat go missing. She was an outdoor/indoor cat. (Actually she preferred being outside)

We went out of town for a couple days, had an 2nd floor window cracked open so the cats could go in and out. Came back, never saw her again. :(

Lately we've had a lot of bad luck with out cats. About a month ago, our other older cat passed. She had been sick for awhile, I came home from work one day, couldn't find her. Find her deceased under my sons bed. Now this cat was my wife's baby, she really really loved that cat. Breaking the news to her when she got home was horrible.

Now the third and last cat we have has been battling some illness since the move. Not eating, drinking, vomiting. Even vomiting blood. Trips to the ER, and so many trips to the regular vet, its been a roller coaster. But lately we think we're seeing improvements. So maybe we'll catch some luck.

So I feel your pain man, crazy how those little furballs become part of the family.

Also wanted to add, hang in there, she'll probably come trotting back in a day or 2 like nothing ever happened.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:03 pm
  • In my experience, the in door cat we have, whenever he gets out he usually chills in the yard. My other cats who bounce inside and out sometimes are gone for days but eventually come back.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:52 pm
  • Thanks guys...Sorry about your dealings throw...

So I feel your pain man, crazy how those little furballs become part of the family.

So true. So very, very true.

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:59 pm
  • It sometimes gets stressful specially with all the coyote sightings we've had the last few weeks. But I'm pretty confident in their abilities to avoid predators. I hope your cat finds it's way back home safe and sound, cats have been known to show back up when they get out.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:04 pm
  • Thanks again...It's not looking great right now but who knows? Maybe he will surprise us all and show up out of the blue. We have all kinds of wild life in the woods by our homes...I'm trying not to think about it but it's hard. The little man is a softy and it pains me to think he is out there at this very moment, somewhere, cold, wet and frightened.

I give it 72 hours. If he's not found or home by then, well...

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:07 pm
    Attachments
    scrows.jpg
    scrows.jpg (99.99 KiB) Viewed 509 times

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:17 pm
  • I have a cat that is mostly indoors. He only ever go outdoors when he comes with me on a work trip, and then he is on a harnass.

A few years ago when I still lived in a 7th floor condo he escaped out onto the balcony (I hadnt realized he was strong to roll the sliding door open). I was a nervous wreck when I realized.. I didnt know if he had gone from my balcony to a neighbors balcony or had fallen off or what. Making it worse was that my floor was a "no pets floor" (long story as to why I had mine..) so I hesitated to go around asking people if they could check their balcony for my cat. Finally after a couple hours I did so.. but of course since it was high security building no one even answered their door!!

So, I went back and was sitting distraught on my sofa, trying to decide what to do .. when he just sauntered back in off the balcony like it was "no thang". I was so relieved and so angry at the same time..

Anyway, cats usually belong to places Todd, so dont give up, keep looking.. people often carry a cats food bag when they look and make the noise it makes when they are going to feed it.

I hope it turns out for the best!
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:21 pm
  • Thank you Ross! I will keep looking for sure. My mom insists that cats can "smell their way" back to their homes. I have no idea if that's true but I sure hope so. I wish the weather has been better. It would make me feel a little better at least. The rain and thunderstorms have not helped, that's for sure.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:35 pm
  • My roommate has an indoor cat. Sometimes she gets outside on accident, and when she does she always runs off. Cats are typically smart animals though. They know where their home is, and they are usually always able to find their way back, whether it's by scent or whatever. Usually when my roommate's cat gets out, she's always back by 11:30 or so. It's funny, it's like she thinks it's a curfew or something. Or maybe she just gets hungry.

Anyways, I wish you luck. My advice would be to keep the door cracked or something so that he can get in- but that depends on where you live of course, and if you think that would be a safe thing to do. I feel for ya.

Oh and if you have a laser pointer, now that it's dark, you might try that. If he is around and sees it, that might work. Of course, it might always attract other cats too... just a thought.
    Last edited by nategreat on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:41 pm
  • Oh no! I hope Stanley finds his way back home.
    dbmack
    NET Starter

Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:08 pm
  • Well that just sucks.: (
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:24 pm
  • Hope your cat returns soon. :(
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:24 am
  • Well my friend I hope your baby has returned.

We have had cats disappear over the years and they all returned. They were however a bit outside acclimated.

Best of luck.

:(
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:32 am
  • Had one a few years ago that we inherited with the house. He was a young tom cat and we got him neutered. Apparently that pissed him off because when we turned him loose again, he left our yard and was gone. We figured he was gone for good and something had happened to him when he didn't return and weeks had gone by.

3 months later he showed back up and stayed as if nothing had happened. 3 months must be the time period it takes for a cat to forgive it's owner for having it's balls cut off.
    OrFan
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:33 am
  • Thanks folks...Still searching today with no luck. We now have the back door cracked open with some of his treats laid out. It may attract other animals but at this point I'm willing to risk it. We kept the windows open to see if we could hear him meowing. We didn't hear anything.

It's driving me crazy sitting here (I work from home) thinking he could be less than a mile away, scared, wet or worse.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:36 am
  • I'll send the pic to my brother. All runaways in that area always end up at his house. I think he has recovered 3 or 4 from all over that development.
    Anguish
    * NET Developer *

Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:38 am
  • we posted an ad on craigslist when we found a lost dog, the owners came and got her about 2 days later, might be an option?

And sorry for your loss, hope you find it soon !
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:46 am
  • Thanks Anguish! Much appreciated! m0ng0 I will look into CL. Thanks!

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:26 am
  • I hope your cat makes it home soon, or someone finds it and starts looking for the owner. Both of our cats are strictly indoor, the wife and I can leave the doors open and they'll just sit there looking outside but never venture out. It's pretty weird actually.
    Zebulon Dak wrote:If any Twitter employees get assassinated I'll vote Republican from here on out.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:50 am
  • We always had indoor only cats, the current one will venture out the back slider screen door but we keep her on a short leash (figuratively speaking) and command her back in pretty quick.

Hope you get your cat back. Maybe if you have something with your smell set outside the door, not sure if that will help, but I notoce our cat is often rolling around in any clothing found on the floor. Just a thought.
    ImageImageImage

"You kept believing, you kept fighting, you kept clawing and scratching
    and look what you freakin' did. Put that freakin' trophy up again!" - Pete Carroll
    tom sawyer
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:55 am
  • Ours took off for two nights last summer. Worried me sick, I know what you're feeling now and it's terrible. No sign of her for two nights and then at midnight I got up to check and she was waiting at our door. And this was during a rainstorm, so she managed to get through bad weather. Cats are wanderers and its not uncommon for them to want to explore now and then, it's in their nature. Hopefully Stanley deciddes to come home soon!
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:19 am
  • Thanks, I appreciate all the warm thoughts. It definitely helps.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:35 pm
  • I have a 2 and 4 year old and we have to be constant watch of the doors. Our cat ashes has gotten out several times. Same situation, cat has a head start and is declawed in the front.

One thing that I've used to get Ashes back is a sound he is familar with like his toys with rattles and squeakers and such.

Hope it helps. Good luck.
    HOLLYWOOD
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:26 pm
  • Aros wrote:Thanks, I appreciate all the warm thoughts. It definitely helps.

Is your cat microchipped, even if not call local animal shelters and see if he turned up. Keep enquiring.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:32 pm
  • Cats do things like this a lot, most of the time they show up within days, I had a friend who had a cat just poof for over a week once and when she came back it was nothing had even happened. I do believe the smell thing too and that they can find their ways back home.

He probably made a friend is hanging out with him/her for a bit and will come home.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:34 pm
  • Checking in to see if there is some positive word.

:les:
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:07 pm
  • Still nothing. We've pretty much exhausted all of our resources. Local vets are notified, I am on a daily list checking into the animal shelter, I've created a post card that they send out to numerous shelters and vets. Several flyers have been posted and handed out in our neighborhood. We have a lot of eyes watching out. I've searched in the day, and at night with a high powered flashlight. His treat bag is being shaken constantly. I am down to one last hope...

Pet Detective.

I know, I laughed too at first.

Apparently this isn't some backwoods psychic angle but a legitimate avenue for people who have lost pets. Basically dogs are trained to pick up the scent of a missing cat and locate them. I spoke to the owner and he is confident that there is about a 70% chance we will find Stanley. Based on past success and experience, most indoor cats that get out are usually within 5 houses of the owner's home.

They arrive tomorrow at 8am to begin the search.

While he can't promise we will find him, the chances have improved...

Meet Komu.

http://komuk9.blogspot.com/2013/03/about-komu.html

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:20 pm
  • About 8 years ago my parents indoor cat got outside and we looked everywhere for her for 3 days. On the 3rd day my brother took a day off work and looked everywhere and couldn't find her. He was just about to give up and suddenly she just appeared out of nowhere on the back porch alive and well. She still is around today so don't give up hope. We saw no sign of her for 3 solid days. Good luck!
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:25 pm
  • Thanks for sharing!

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:53 pm
  • Lol I'm sorry, I know this is a thread about Stanley the cat, but that pitbull's face made me smile, I love that breed to death! Hopefully Stanely shows up, I keep checking this thread hoping for his safe return.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:06 pm
  • Thanks, yeah make sure you click on the link to for his back story. Pretty cool.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:06 am
  • There is someone who needs to invest in plastic containers on wheels to keep dog food and treats in. lol

:les:
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:19 am
  • Pet detective! Effing boss! Great story! #findstanley
    HOLLYWOOD
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:38 am
  • There's a "Dog the Bounty Hunter" joke in here somewhere...
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:23 pm
  • Well I would love to have some good news but unfortunately Stanley remains at large.

The dog was wonderful as was his owner. They scowered "the perimeter" loyally and tenaciously. The pup found one cat but alas, not the one that mattered to me. He did get on the scent a few times and each time it centered around this dense greenbelt area not far from our house. Unfortunately it's too dense to walk around much in. Plus he's looking for cats, not just Stanley. Any cat. We will continue to search all around, and that area, both day and night.

We're not giving up yet.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:35 pm
  • Ah...... Geez Todd, cats are so cool. I am praying you get yours back. They really do become part of the family.
    __________________________________________________________________________________
    Save a place at the table for us "Big Willie"
    halfrack
    NET Rookie

Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:03 am
  • It is with a joyous heart that I can report that Stanley has returned safe and sound!

At 4:48am this morning, I awoke to a "meow" out our bedroom window. I jumped out of bed so fast I almost hit the ceiling! I called out his name and he responded back with another meow. I bolted down the stairs and there he was at the back door! I opened the door and he came right in and I grabbed him up and gave him some serious hug time. He was still meowing and it was immediately apparent he was very hungry. The wife had cleaned up his food and water dishes and litter box putting them away (our theory was that that was like washing a car before rain) so we had to scramble to get his bowls out and pour him some food. We were so happy! I can't believe how sad we were as a family.

He looks fine, no obvious marks or issues. Maybe a few ounces lighter but other than that, he looks to be in great condition! We will still take him to the vet to be looked over.

We both believe strongly that Komu helped sniff him out of hiding. We are very grateful for their help yesterday and I want to say again to everyone our deep thanks for your kind thoughts and words in regards to Stanley. I'm not a religious person but I am quite spiritual and I do believe there was some assistance in that realm as well.

It's a great day!

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:08 am

Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:15 am
  • Aros wrote:It is with a joyous heart that I can report that Stanley has returned safe and sound!

At 4:48am this morning, I awoke to a "meow" out our bedroom window. I jumped out of bed so fast I almost hit the ceiling! I called out his name and he responded back with another meow. I bolted down the stairs and there he was at the back door! I opened the door and he came right in and I grabbed him up and gave him some serious hug time. He was still meowing and it was immediately apparent he was very hungry. The wife had cleaned up his food and water dishes and litter box putting them away (our theory was that that was like washing a car before rain) so we had to scramble to get his bowls out and pour him some food. We were so happy! I can't believe how sad we were as a family.

He looks fine, no obvious marks or issues. Maybe a few ounces lighter but other than that, he looks to be in great condition! We will still take him to the vet to be looked over.

We both believe strongly that Komu helped sniff him out of hiding. We are very grateful for their help yesterday and I want to say again to everyone our deep thanks for your kind thoughts and words in regards to Stanley. I'm not a religious person but I am quite spiritual and I do believe there was some assistance in that realm as well.

It's a great day!

Glad to hear it Todd. I hadn't posted in this thread because I really didn't have anything helpful to add, but I've been following it very closely. I know how happy you must be and I am happy for you guys.

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:29 am
  • Awesome man! Very happy for you and family.
    Last edited by hawksfansinceday1 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:51 am
  • Great news! Love it when things turn out this way!
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:08 am
  • Seriously awesome news! Glad that things turned out well as losing a pet is never easy.
    Zebulon Dak wrote:If any Twitter employees get assassinated I'll vote Republican from here on out.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:16 am
  • Woooo!

Happy he returned! I had a feeling reading this he would, he's going to be sleeping A LOT for the next day or so, so I wouldn't panic over that. How'd the kids react?

And I hate vets, either they're there to drain your pocket book, or they genuinely care a lot about the dog and talk your ear off for an hour and a half. And I gotta take my dog in next week cuz it seems like his hips are acting up, he'll get proper treatment cuz they care, but my head is gonna be throbbing afterwards.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:25 am
  • Fantastic. My cat wanders outside every so often to flirt with the mancats and she really really likes the fact that I am here to play "blocker". :mrgreen:
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    Gollum had a ring...Bilbo took it...Frodo had it...Gollum got it back.
    Gollum never had OUR ring.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:39 am
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:Fantastic. My cat wanders outside every so often to flirt with the mancats and she really really likes the fact that I am here to play "blocker". :mrgreen:

My cat just goes, I don't even try and block it. He has sent the lady from across the street's cat to the emergency vets twice though, her cat should just stay inside if he ain't about that outside kitty life, plus he always starts the mess from what I've seen.

Luckily it doesn't seem like Stanley ran into a jerk cat like mine.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:57 am
  • Yay Stanley!!!!
    dbmack
    NET Starter

Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:11 am
  • Great news Todd. So glad it has a happy ending.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:33 am
  • Good news!

He must have had himself quite the adventure.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:41 am
  • I've asked him several times where he was and he's not talking. :)

I told my daughter when she awoke that I had a surprise for her. When she came into the bedroom she saw him there on the bed and she said "STANLEY!!!" and ran over and put her head down hugging him. It was a great moment. Here he is in recovery mode with the flyer we had all over the neighborhood. He's a bit skinnier and more tired/stressed than the photo of him from the flyer but for good reason.

Happy!
    Attachments
    homeagain.jpg
    homeagain.jpg (65.93 KiB) Viewed 162 times

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Next

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:20 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information