Reynolds high school shooting

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Reynolds high school shooting
Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:07 am

Re: Reynolds high school shooting
Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:09 am
  • Heard about this as I got into the car this morning. Horrifying - especially since the radio voice was so...nonchalant about it.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:34 am
  • I find it hard to understand. The simplistic answer is too many guns in the hands of crazies. However it's deeper IMO. When I was young we we often during hunting season have guns in racks in pickups. We drove it like that to school. We would go hunting after school for ducks a lot.

We never had this thing of thing happen. What had changed? As an older guy there is a lot of new things I didn't deal with.

24 hour television
    Dvds, video, streaming etc. One can saturate themselves with some pretty sick stuff if they wish
    Video games
    Etc
    What do the younger cats think has changed? This are just my observations. I suspect that if they banned guns 100% they would use cars, bombs and knives.

The Santa Barbara cat stabbed people first then shot some then .. ran over others. Boston bombers just made bombs.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:32 pm
  • Constant, pervasive bullying through social media that doesn't allow the ostracized even a brief reprieve from being outcast, combined with a vast increase in single parent homes, lack of adult guidance and mentorship and the proliferation of easy to access hateful propaganda that can easily tip over the mentally unstable via the internet.

And easy access to guns.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:13 pm
  • And Background checks are gonna help all of this, right?

You are an idiot if you thing a background check makes you warm and fuzzy regarding guns. Did this person have a background to check?...No, just went and picked up a gun.
    The new Santa Clara stadium name?..........Dungaree Dump
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:05 pm
  • We used to go duck hunting Tuesday and Thursday mornings before school... as 12/13 year olds... unsupervised... walk to school, and our woodshop teacher would open the shop lockers so we could store our guns there until after school.

We had bullying,.. at times bad bullying... but we were allowed to fight it out. Teachers would let kids fight a bit and blow off steam before intervening. In never crossed anyone's mind to shoot someone else with a gun, or worse, a bunch of innocents. But, also, we were never exposed to graphic violence -- video games were nothing but a bouncing blip between two paddles, and when the bad guys and good guys shot it out on TV, there was no blood even when someone actually got hit. I never even heart the term "serial killer" until the after the movie "Halloween" came out. and Bundy was all over the news.

We also got swats at school, and if you got hit by your teacher at school... chances are you were going to get it worse from your parents when you got home.

I won't pretend it was all rose colored though... or say "bring back the good old days". Tthere were bad things about that system. Teachers that were bullies, and so on, and THAT society happened to create "this" one! You can't go back, only forward.

If you read the extensive Chinese Study by their social scientists on our society it is pretty grim. Their studies predict the utter collapse of our infrastructure within 20 years and they are already taking steps to ensure what is happening here does not happen in China... the biggest issue being spoiled children, and too many single parent homes. There are moms who are great single moms, but they are the exception and not the rule - because most often, single moms live in poverty, when you are in poverty you are up against it and things cascade.

The big issue the study pointed out was lack of respect. Respect comes before love, you can't have a relationship of any kind -- with a friend, with a woman (man) with society, unless you respect others, and flat out these days -- kids grow up with parents who entitle them and do not teach them to treat others with respect, or with single moms who are being disrespected constantly, which teaches the children that people are not to be respected, including themselves.

Fathers leave them, boyfriends leave them, father's and boyfriends beat them, strange men in the house with their eyes on the little girls, or disregarding the boys. A boyfriend that is here and gone is not usually a father figure, in fact, the opposite. And so boys learn not to respect women, girls learn to take disrespect and neglect and become sexual objects instead of human beings, and everyone is angry and unhappy. I saw that starting to happen with guys who's mothers slept around when I was a kid... so much anger in there, beating on their girlfriends at 17 years old, and other nonsense.

And there is SO much of it, that there is no time to deal with troubled people in depth anymore, mental illness goes ignored, people are cycling in and out of jail... what is it right now? I believe 1 in 20 are in or have been in the penal system. That's insane.

Cycles cascade, you get a negative feedback loop and society constantly worsens and the focus becomes the external objects. the negative examples and violent movies, the guns, and all the other tools that are accessories to the butcher, instead of the butchers and the butchery itself.

What makes it worse, is that people pretend to know all the causes, or all the answers... the situation becomes a drumbeat for "my ideology" -- the conservatives say: "Listen to us, we will fix it!" and the liberals say "Vote for us, we will fix it!" This religion, that philosophy, this cult, this drug, this science -- all snake oil salesmen on the side of the road offering the magic tonic that will fix all our ills,. Ideologies have completely and totally failed us for decades on end, yet we keep returning to them because it is all that we know.

And everytime there is loss, one faction blames the other. Could you imagine that on a sports team? Imagine last year, that the defense started pointing fingers when the hawk offense struggled!!! Nope, the defense had their back.

That's what we need in this country -- our factions to have the other guy's backs, instead of saying "only my way will work, this is your fault." Everyone needs to kind of pitch in and remember that we are all on the same team and we all go down together when we lose.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:27 pm
  • loafoftatupu wrote:My niece is there right now. Family is freaking out. My sister works in the district so she should be there by now.

http://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/index ... nolds.html

Hope all of your family members are safe. Some real scary s*** has been going on with these shootings.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:58 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    loafoftatupu wrote:My niece is there right now. Family is freaking out. My sister works in the district so she should be there by now.

Hope all of your family members are safe. Some real scary s*** has been going on with these shootings.

Thanks, It was pretty scary when no one could get through on cell phones because the towers were too busy. It turns out my nephew was working at the school because my sister hooked him up with a job. They both appear to be shaken up, but my sister doesn't even want my niece to finish the year because there is hardly any school left.

I am an advocate for responsible gun ownership, but like Zman said, everyone needs to pull together on this. We cannot allow ANY type of weapons to make it in our children's schools. There has to be a way to restore the value of life in young people. The real scary part to me is that every time something like this happens, there is another kid that thinks about copying it.

I don't care about how much it raises taxes or what we can do as parents, we need to work together to secure the schools. I am game.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:01 pm
  • loafoftatupu wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    loafoftatupu wrote:My niece is there right now. Family is freaking out. My sister works in the district so she should be there by now.

Thanks, It was pretty scary when no one could get through on cell phones because the towers were too busy. It turns out my nephew was working at the school because my sister hooked him up with a job. They both appear to be shaken up, but my sister doesn't even want my niece to finish the year because there is hardly any school left.

I am an advocate for responsible gun ownership, but like Zman said, everyone needs to pull together on this. We cannot allow ANY type of weapons to make it in our children's schools. There has to be a way to restore the value of life in young people. The real scary part to me is that every time something like this happens, there is another kid that thinks about copying it.

I don't care about how much it raises taxes or what we can do as parents, we need to work together to secure the schools. I am game.

Glad your family is safe. Pretty much agree with everything you wrote.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:05 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information